Jubilee review

iria64

Just returned from Jubilee sailing (1/13-1/20)

Few thoughts...

Port:  Galveston is not the easiest port to sail from.  When arriving it took us about 1/2 hour to go two blocks to the parking garage we had booked.  The biggest problem is that Galveston was not designed for cruising and upgrading the terminal area will be difficult as there are many historical buildings that most likely cannot be touched.  Add in the fact that there is only 1 road on and off the island.  On the day we arrived, traffic leaving was backed up across the bridge for 2 or so miles.  It looked like it would take 1-2 hours to clear that mess.  I wouldn't be surprised if some people missed a flight.  We had no problems when we got back and 2 examples do not make a pattern... just be aware there is no backup to getting off the island.

Embarkation:  This went smoothly.  We had a mid C boarding group and by the time we got through all the security and check in processes they were calling our group.

The Ship:  This ship has the same basic layout as the Mardi Gras, which I have been on, which means it has the same pluses and minuses so I won't rehash those.

Overall between the Mardi Gras and Jubilee I would prefer to sail on the Mardi Gras.  Two of the biggest reasons...

Piazza Panini (MG) vs Beach Buns (J) - The sandwich offerings here do not compare.  BB, to me, is a step down compared the offerings on the MG

Brass Magnolia (MG) vs Golden Mermaid (J) - GM... looking at the drink ingredients I was hard pressed to find something I liked meanwhile, BM there were a couple of drinks I tried to do at home.

Debarkation: Due to a medical emergency, debarkation did not start until 10am.  Add in the high winds gave them problems getting they front gangway was not opened for another 45 minutes.  Additionally, about 25% of the ship had some sort of priority debarkation (Diamond/Platinum/Suites/etc) that they did not have enough room in the holding areas for all of those guests.  I don't know if that many priority guests is typical but that many does start to devalue what it means to have priority.

Overall the trip was good, the crew was pleasant (big shout out to Jay the shot, shot guy).

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, iria64 said:

Additionally, about 25% of the ship had some sort of priority debarkation (Diamond/Platinum/Suites/etc) that they did not have enough room in the holding areas for all of those guests.  I don't know if that many priority guests is typical but that many does start to devalue what it means to have priority.

I totally agree - we were on the NYE sailing of Jubilee and we were told 50% of the ship qualified for priority.  I heard it was the same situation on the inaugural (and Christmas) cruise the week before.  I mostly felt bad for the crew, debarkation was kind of crazy.  Carnival needs to revamp their VIFP program.

• Like 1

I sail on her in a few days. I hear the giant led panels are supposed to open for views of the sea. I haven't seen any pictures of this. Do they open or am I misinformed?

14 minutes ago, gsilva said:

I sail on her in a few days. I hear the giant led panels are supposed to open for views of the sea. I haven't seen any pictures of this. Do they open or am I misinformed?

More than likely if you search for images of Mardi Gras or Celebration (they have same layout as this new ship) you can pretty much see how the central stage area (3 decks high) is used at different times.  

22 minutes ago, gsilva said:

I don't think I ever saw them opened on my trip.  I know I have seenthem open on the Mardi Gras but it was rare.

7 minutes ago, iria64 said:

I don't think I ever saw them opened on my trip.  I know I have seenthem open on the Mardi Gras but it was rare.

Oh bummer. I was hoping to get a view of the sea from there. On other ships the atrium is a meet up spot. Always wished there was a large view of the sea while waiting.

11 hours ago, iria64 said:

Just returned from Jubilee sailing (1/13-1/20)

Few thoughts...

Port:  Galveston is not the easiest port to sail from.  When arriving it took us about 1/2 hour to go two blocks to the parking garage we had booked.  The biggest problem is that Galveston was not designed for cruising and upgrading the terminal area will be difficult as there are many historical buildings that most likely cannot be touched.  Add in the fact that there is only 1 road on and off the island.  On the day we arrived, traffic leaving was backed up across the bridge for 2 or so miles.  It looked like it would take 1-2 hours to clear that mess.  I wouldn't be surprised if some people missed a flight.  We had no problems when we got back and 2 examples do not make a pattern... just be aware there is no backup to getting off the island.

Embarkation:  This went smoothly.  We had a mid C boarding group and by the time we got through all the security and check in processes they were calling our group.

The Ship:  This ship has the same basic layout as the Mardi Gras, which I have been on, which means it has the same pluses and minuses so I won't rehash those.

Overall between the Mardi Gras and Jubilee I would prefer to sail on the Mardi Gras.  Two of the biggest reasons...

Piazza Panini (MG) vs Beach Buns (J) - The sandwich offerings here do not compare.  BB, to me, is a step down compared the offerings on the MG

Brass Magnolia (MG) vs Golden Mermaid (J) - GM... looking at the drink ingredients I was hard pressed to find something I liked meanwhile, BM there were a couple of drinks I tried to do at home.

Debarkation: Due to a medical emergency, debarkation did not start until 10am.  Add in the high winds gave them problems getting they front gangway was not opened for another 45 minutes.  Additionally, about 25% of the ship had some sort of priority debarkation (Diamond/Platinum/Suites/etc) that they did not have enough room in the holding areas for all of those guests.  I don't know if that many priority guests is typical but that many does start to devalue what it means to have priority.

Overall the trip was good, the crew was pleasant (big shout out to Jay the shot, shot guy).

Thanks for your views and comparisons.

Hugs from Texas

18 minutes ago, gsilva said:

Oh bummer. I was hoping to get a view of the sea from there. On other ships the atrium is a meet up spot. Always wished there was a large view of the sea while waiting.

It’s unfortunate that they have those big windows and let them go to waste by covering them up most of the time. You may catch them up in the morning but it’s usually not long before they put the screens down for playlist rehearsals and things like that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, gsilva said:

We were just talking about this when we were on Jubilee.  We have been on all 3 Excel class ships, and Mardi Gras is the only one where we saw views of the ocean and it was so stunning.  I don't understand why Celebration and Jubilee don't do this, but we paid particular attention on Jubilee and never saw the open ocean view.  

Edited by csm5986142
  • Like 3

We were Jubilee early January and I could not figure out what the point was in having the windows behind if it was never opened. 

Never been on the other two Excel ships but was wondering what was different about the sandwiches on Mardi Gras? The sandwiches at beach buns were one of the better options when sailing

3 hours ago, Carguylee said:

We were Jubilee early January and I could not figure out what the point was in having the windows behind if it was never opened. 

Never been on the other two Excel ships but was wondering what was different about the sandwiches on Mardi Gras? The sandwiches at beach buns were one of the better options when sailing

The sandwich menus are slightly different between the three ships.

Mardi Gras

IMG_9040.webp.db301210514a3314d1e64dc8a6360bb5.webp

Celebration

IMG_9039.webp.47564b68d704393a0a2d1f7e9c54ca6b.webp

Jubilee

IMG_9041.thumb.jpeg.63328b9dc64d25f1ca95d5106ca70f9d.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

Mardi Gras

Celebration

Jubilee

Thank you so much.

I was just looking for the Celebration Deli menu.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

Mardi Gras

Celebration

Jubilee

Does this mean that a Ruben isn't available on Carnival Jubilee?

10 minutes ago, PlanoTim said:

Does this mean that a Ruben isn't available on Carnival Jubilee?

It's not on the menu so I would say probably. But I haven't been on it yet. That menu seems to have less sandwiches and more hot dogs. That makes me wonder if they got rid of Sea Dogs on Jubilee.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Greg said:

It's not on the menu so I would say probably. But I haven't been on it yet. That menu seems to have less sandwiches and more hot dogs. That makes me wonder if they got rid of Sea Dogs on Jubilee.

Thanks.  I'll be there in a few months, so I guess I'll find out first hand.  But the Jubilee menu looks less interesting to me than the other two.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PlanoTim said:

Thanks.  I'll be there in a few months, so I guess I'll find out first hand.  But the Jubilee menu looks less interesting to me than the other two.

For me there's so much food on the excel class ships that I don't eat things like sandwiches and pizzas that are available on other ships. I go for the things you can't get on other ships. Off of that menu it looks like I'll be trying #6-8 when I stop at the deli.

• Like 2

On 1/23/2024 at 7:26 AM, gsilva said:

They are supposed to open but they are not working right now on Jubilee.  Causing them to not have production shows in there too, only variety acts and deal or no deal. 

58 minutes ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

They are supposed to open but they are not working right now on Jubilee. 

I was told the same thing by one of the Fun squad members. This was the first time I have been on an Excel Class ship but I will say I thought the ship itself was beautiful. The huge difference in the way she was laid out from the other Carnival ships had me still confused a time or two when looking for a specific location, but that's a "me" issue, LOL. 

RE: # of Priority passengers, we were told 380 diamonds and just over 1100 platinum. 

I have done 27 Carnival cruises out of Galveston (yes, I am Diamond).  Embarkation is usually much better handled than debarkation.  I place this difference on Port staff versus ship staff.  Even on a Journeys cruise on the Dream in November (roughly 1200 Diamond and Platinum), embarkation was rather smooth.  However, we have experienced true nightmares regarding debarkation.  It is sad for me to say, but I think a very large part of this is rude and selfish passengers.  The crew gives plenty of instructions and makes plenty of announcements.  But many passengers just don't follow them. It becomes a "me first free for all."  I frequently see "non-priority" and able-bodied people blocking disabled people (wheelchairs) from getting on elevators. I was on the Vista in October.  As Diamond, I was to meet in the forward restaurant by 7:30am.  We left our cabin (Deck 7) at 6:45. Until we could make it to the lobby, it was past 7:30.  The elevators, stairwells, and hallways were packed with people that would not be called for maybe an hour or more.  The crew began debarking the Diamonds and Platinums.  We were stuck for another half hour.  I know new travelers whine that we get "privilege." But we earned and paid for that privilege.  This is something Carnival really needs to control.

• Like 3

On 1/23/2024 at 8:26 AM, gsilva said:

I was also on the January 13th cruise. The panels at Center Stage are supposed to open just like they do on the Celebration and Mardi Gras, but they are broken right now. I was told it could be another several weeks before they are repaired. 

Here they are open and closed on the Celebration 

Edited by AllgoodOnTheRoad

23 hours ago, AtomicCruiser said:

I have done 27 Carnival cruises out of Galveston (yes, I am Diamond).  Embarkation is usually much better handled than debarkation.  I place this difference on Port staff versus ship staff.  Even on a Journeys cruise on the Dream in November (roughly 1200 Diamond and Platinum), embarkation was rather smooth.  However, we have experienced true nightmares regarding debarkation.  It is sad for me to say, but I think a very large part of this is rude and selfish passengers.  The crew gives plenty of instructions and makes plenty of announcements.  But many passengers just don't follow them. It becomes a "me first free for all."  I frequently see "non-priority" and able-bodied people blocking disabled people (wheelchairs) from getting on elevators. I was on the Vista in October.  As Diamond, I was to meet in the forward restaurant by 7:30am.  We left our cabin (Deck 7) at 6:45. Until we could make it to the lobby, it was past 7:30.  The elevators, stairwells, and hallways were packed with people that would not be called for maybe an hour or more.  The crew began debarking the Diamonds and Platinums.  We were stuck for another half hour.  I know new travelers whine that we get "privilege." But we earned and paid for that privilege.  This is something Carnival really needs to control.

This is EXACTLY ON POINT!  Our observation has been the same.  Well said!