Very bad soot/ tar on the Seashore

MBroek

We experience very bad soot on the Seashore from Barcelona to Miami end off Oktober. Sunbeds, chairs and all the upper decks full soot. Clothes full of soot. Anyone else has the same experience. 

IMG_4283.jpeg

IMG_5137.jpeg

IMG_5135.jpeg

IMG_5129.jpeg

IMG_5126.jpeg

IMG_4286.jpeg

We have no much experience and on board people told us that they have made many cruises and it never was as much soot as this. People living almost on cruiseships and they never had soot. When this kind of soot is normal, then it’s the last one for us. We heard also that they use cheap fuels and we believe that can be the case.

• Like 1

Our legal expenses insurance also says, this is not acceptable. MSC is doing nothing only €100 board credit. We missed many facilities because of the soot, we did not want to sit or used the sunbeds in the pool area. We also did not go to the entertainment on the upper decks. We think it’s very unhealthy this soot. We asked more compensation and our insurance says, 10 - 30 % off the total amount we payed is what they should pay. 
‘The insurance took over the claim and paid us. They are going to MSC. We have many photos and videos for the claim.

I have had it in our aft balcony -- so I don't book aft balconies any more.  But mine might have been a one off...

Was it like that the whole cruise?  How long did it take for them to clean it up?

We noticed when our clothes were dirty, after leaving Barcelona to the Canary Islands. From than it was more and more soot. They start cleaning a lot before arriving in Miami, so many days we had the soot. We were not they only ones with complain. Look to the short of this man. He was complaining to people.

Soot is common on most ships I have been on in the last 35 years. Open air train excursions as well.  Cruising isn’t for everyone.

Edited by JT1962

1 hour ago, JT1962 said:

Soot is common on most ships I have been on in the last 35 years. Open air train excursions as well.  Cruising isn’t for everyone.

Actually we have a ship and we go to French, Belgium and we cruise through the Netherlands. So we have experience with our own ship, only we never have soot. Cruising with the experience of the soot we had on the seashore, no thank you, that’s not good for your health!

31 minutes ago, deliver42 said:

Aft balconies  are apt to get soot on any cruise ship. Everything from the funnels goes to the back. It can't be helped.

Stay on the front. Strange that all the facilities outside are on the back

That is an extreme amount of soot for any modern ship. Something was not right.

Even the Carnival Freedom who's funnel fire could have been caused by an excessively smokey engine on the port side, did not have a soot issue when we were on it after the fire and before the funnel was replaced. I saw a ton of smoke billowing out of it one evening in short bursts.

Edited by quattrohead