Solos on Azamara

LewiLewi

I will be traveling solo this fall on Azamara Journey in Canada and New England. Are there get togethers for solos to meet at the beginning of the cruise? How is the dining situation; are there tables set aside for solos who choose to dine together in the MDR as well as in the specialty restaurants?

56 minutes ago, LewiLewi said:

I will be traveling solo this fall on Azamara Journey in Canada and New England. Are there get togethers for solos to meet at the beginning of the cruise? How is the dining situation; are there tables set aside for solos who choose to dine together in the MDR as well as in the specialty restaurants?

I have traveled solo on Azamara for several years. There are solo get togethers, but they are hit or miss as far as attendance. They do organize a table in the dining room for people who would like to sit with others. It's not restricted to solo travelers. You can just tell the maitre d' that you would like to sit with others. I often ask to be seated alone, but next to another table for two (fortunately, Azamara's dining room is set up this way) because I can often strike up a conversation with a table for two that is right next to me. People on Azamara are generally quite friendly, so it is easy to engage in conversation around the ship. 

• Like 3

Welcome to Azamara. We've met multiple solos (soloes?) over the years, and keep bumping into old friends, which is always a pleasure. Well, there was one instance when it wasn't a pleasure, but that's another story. There are hosted and unhosted get togethers, straight and some not so straight - the Azamara staff really goes out of its way to make their solo guests feel as comfortable as possible. No tables are set aside for solos per se, but the moment a group forms, the Maitre will be more than happy to accommodate you, and should you wish to dine alone, again, no problems. They are small ships, extremely friendly atmosphere, I don't think you will find any thing to worry about. Have a great time!

• Like 1

I have traveled many times solo with Azamara and I have enjoyed it very much. You can be on your own or join others (solos or not). 

Azamara has sometimes solo discounts. The solo supplement has increased in the last year for many cruises. I hope Azamara makes more cruises available at lower solo supplements and shows that they are, and remain solo friendly. It has been nominated under best for solos in the current competition from USA today readers. 

• Like 1

Guest Cooper2020

I too have cruised with Azamara many times as a solo passenger  since 2014 - I never felt lonely and the staff are amazing at making you feel involved.  I have met some wonderful people and I have dined as a group and on my own.   I don't travel solo now as I met my  lovely partner on Azamara  two years ago so we now travel together.  You will so enjoy the cruise  I am sure.   Azamara is  by far my favourite cruise line by a mile.

It was Phil - Excited of Harpenden- who gave me the same encouragement to try Azamara solo a dozen Journey and Onward cruises ago. I’ve never been lonely. You’ll only be alone when you choose to be.
Thanks, Phil. I think Azamara owes you a commission.

Melissa

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

On 1/29/2024 at 3:40 AM, avw said:

I have traveled solo on Azamara for several years. There are solo get togethers, but they are hit or miss as far as attendance. They do organize a table in the dining room for people who would like to sit with others. It's not restricted to solo travelers. You can just tell the maitre d' that you would like to sit with others. I often ask to be seated alone, but next to another table for two (fortunately, Azamara's dining room is set up this way) because I can often strike up a conversation with a table for two that is right next to me. People on Azamara are generally quite friendly, so it is easy to engage in conversation around the ship. 

We had a very enjoyable meal and chat with you when sat next to you in Prime C on Onward 29/4 Rome to Venice last year! 

9 hours ago, combine said:

We had a very enjoyable meal and chat with you when sat next to you in Prime C on Onward 29/4 Rome to Venice last year! 

What a pleasant surprise to hear from you! You are kind to remember our chat. One of the many nice things about Azamara is that you get to meet interesting people from different countries. Hope to see you again on another Azamara cruise.

• Like 1

Hi LewiLewi, it's a pity you are not sailing on the Canada and Colonial America voyage on 24th October as I will be sailing solo and would have been delighted to meet you for dinner on the first night.

I have spent time with lots of solos in the past and last year did my first solo B2B sailing myself. I found that the hosted solos get together was on the 2nd night and a sizable group met on one sailing but only 3 of us on the 2nd. I only had to eat alone in the evening once as there was always someone to join. The Maitre D was brilliant.

You'll have a terrific time, Azamara crew and regulars are great company.

2 hours ago, Torpoint said:

Hi LewiLewi, it's a pity you are not sailing on the Canada and Colonial America voyage on 24th October as I will be sailing solo and would have been delighted to meet you for dinner on the first night.

I have spent time with lots of solos in the past and last year did my first solo B2B sailing myself. I found that the hosted solos get together was on the 2nd night and a sizable group met on one sailing but only 3 of us on the 2nd. I only had to eat alone in the evening once as there was always someone to join. The Maitre D was brilliant.

You'll have a terrific time, Azamara crew and regulars are great company.

Hi Torpoint, I am on the Oct. 24 sailing, so I would be happy to meet you for dinner on the first night. My name is Marilyn and I am in cabin 6088.

Maybe I'm being over cautious, but the last thing I'd do is post my cabin number on a public message board. I never share that info unless I know the person or I'm totally sure and by way of private email. Personally I'd ask the host here to delete that reference. 

Phil 

• Like 9

9 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Maybe I'm being over cautious, but the last thing I'd do is post my cabin number on a public message board. I never share that info unless I know the person or I'm totally sure and by way of private email. Personally I'd ask the host here to delete that reference. 

Phil 

Thank you for voicing your concern. However, I and many others on the CC boards have posted first names and cabin numbers on these boards arranging meet n mingles, private tours, etc. We have not had any problems in over 20 years of posting on these boards. Last names and email addresses are not exchanged; people are able to contact each other more easily when on board.

All online safety advice from cruise lines and other bodies is never to share room details.   That is the highest risk piece of information you can divulge. You know nothing about the person, it’s sad but there are some not nice people out there, some claim to be a different gender to trap the unsuspecting.  (I’m NOT saying that’s happening to the poster but they maybe don’t fully appreciate the risks.). Sadly things are very different from 20 years ago 

We had an issue on an early cruise on another line, it was sad. Naively I’d filled in one of those spread sheets people set up and added our room number.  We happened to be in a big suite. A cruiser, who was sadly lonely, kept coming to our door and another one rang twice wanting to come and see our room. Probably both harmless and I was cruising with my partner so slightly less risk but from then on I never give my room number to anyone until I’ve met them in person and decided if I want to share or not. 
If I’ve excursions planned I share my surname- Azamara guest relations are excellent at passing messages on. 

I am also vague about where I live and will never allow my email address to go on google docs or whatever which is very insecure and can be accessed by those with more evil intent. 

Call me over cautious, but I’ve read too much and probably been on too many Safeguarding/ Online Safety training programs (including a whole day last week) and there is a lot of consequences of information sharing others may not realise. 

I think @excitedofharpenden was right to flag up his advice and whilst the OP is happy with the risks, others may reflect as a result. 

• Like 6

Hi LewiLewi, nice to meet you online and looking forward to seeing you in person for dinner on the 24th, sailing out of Montreal. My name is Ann, I'll be flying in from the UK (jetlagged!), hoping to board early and be in Windows for lunch.

You'll probably meet other B2B passengers who you may want to have dinner with and I'd be happy to join in if thats the case.

By the time I board, you'll be well settled into the routine, know the ropes and made friends with lots of welcoming passengers and crew. Bye for now Ann

4 hours ago, Torpoint said:

Hi LewiLewi, nice to meet you online and looking forward to seeing you in person for dinner on the 24th, sailing out of Montreal. My name is Ann, I'll be flying in from the UK (jetlagged!), hoping to board early and be in Windows for lunch.

You'll probably meet other B2B passengers who you may want to have dinner with and I'd be happy to join in if thats the case.

By the time I board, you'll be well settled into the routine, know the ropes and made friends with lots of welcoming passengers and crew. Bye for now Ann

Hi Ann,

There is supposed to be a cruise critic get together on the first day of sailing, generally around 5 PM, as mentioned by other Azamara cruisers. It is listed on the daily program. If you are not too jet lagged, try to be there. 
Looking forward to meeting you.

Marilyn