Baltic Destination Changes?/Payment Deadline?

GSPG

I don’t use facebook, but heard only yesterday that a P&O Baltic cruise from last year did not stop at Helsinki, Finland, or Tallinn, Estonia perhaps due to their close proximity to Russia. The ship apparently made stops in Norway instead as replacement to these.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this?

The next P&O cruise out there is in May on Britannia and I’m due to be on it, and Helsinki and Tallinn are still on the itinerary. I’m expecting these to be cancelled as I would say tensions are even greater than last year. In addition, Stockholm, Sweden has been in the news recently due to unrest there.

It could be that the war(s) end just like that, but I can’t see it happening soon as things in a number of areas are going in the wrong direction to put it mildly.

For commercial reasons, I wonder if P&O have already taken the decision to change their itinerary on this cruise, but haven’t said so yet as final payment’s are due next week. I’ll be paying mine, but I have been on cruises before when the itinerary has changed and it leaves you feeling ‘what could have been’. This what could have been however may not have been good!

I’m not sure what the reason for this thread is, just airing my thinking at this time with a bit of helplessness on the situation.

The thing is things as we know can change so quickly. Never before have I felt the world is so volatile in my 60+ years. Quite what we will be looking at in 6 months, 3 months even 1 month down the line with escalations as they are.

If ‘things’ do deteriorate before May and spread further, can they still send us on the cruise if the itinerary looks nothing like the one that was booked?

• Like 1

I am on that cruise too and have paid my balance as I booked through a TA. I would be disappointed not to see Tallinn again as I went on a similar itinerary in 208 and loved it there.

6 hours ago, Clodia said:

I am on that cruise too and have paid my balance as I booked through a TA. I would be disappointed not to see Tallinn again as I went on a similar itinerary in 208 and loved it there.

Tallinn is lovely, Riga is too, like a larger more grand Tallinn. 

7 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Aurora last year included Helsinki, Tallinn, Visby, Riga, etc. Am on her again next May, which also has a very good itinerary (except Kiel which I am not keen on). 

I'm on that cruise too. I'd be surprised and disappointed if Tallinn or Riga were cancelled, and absolutely staggered if Helsinki was.

8 hours ago, Fionboard said:

Aurora last year included Helsinki, Tallinn, Visby, Riga, etc. Am on her again next May, which also has a very good itinerary (except Kiel which I am not keen on). 

I agree, I was on Aurora's Baltic cruise in August and the only place we didn't stop was two ports in Denmark due to the weather. A great ship and a great cruise which I would highly recommend. 

• Like 1

On 1/30/2024 at 11:27 AM, Clodia said:

Clodia - it may have changed a bit since Roman times.

• Haha 7

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Annefield

We are overnight in Helsinki this June on Arcadia.

Tips please as to what you did during the day? during the evening?

We are thinking it would be nice to eat out for a change rather than onboard?

Any recommendations gratefully received.

3 minutes ago, silkworms said:

Hi Annefield

We are overnight in Helsinki this June on Arcadia.

Tips please as to what you did during the day? during the evening?

We are thinking it would be nice to eat out for a change rather than onboard?

Any recommendations gratefully received.

If it's of any help, we've taken two or three 10 day family holidays in Helsinki, and in June I'd recommend just chilling and taking in the summer atmosphere, which is just great.  They really do know how to do summer in Helsinki! It's a young, vibrant city with plenty of places to eat, indoor and outdoor.

In mid-June sunset's not until 2245 and it's great just being outdoors. There are loads of things to do - take your pick, according to how much time you have, and what the weather's like:

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g189934-Activities-Helsinki_Uusimaa.html

On 2/16/2024 at 7:40 PM, Slugsta said:

We went here for a meal when we had an overnight in Helsinki last year https://www.myhelsinki.fi/en/eat-and-drink/restaurants/restaurant-kuu

It was a good meal and an easy tram ride from where the shuttle bus dropped us off.

Thank you Slugsta, sounds good. Will look at their website.

• Like 1