First Impressions of Silversea (Whisper)

Host Jazzbeau

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic."

Host Jazzbeau was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

I won’t try to do a ‘live from’ report, and those who have followed my blogs know that it takes me a long time to produce such overloads of detail – so I decided to start this thread and post occasional impressions of our first Silversea cruise.

We boarded on Monday, Jan. 29 in Auckland.  We were told that boarding would start at 2 pm, but we walked over to see the ship at 12:30 and discovered that boarding had started at noon.  We rushed back and got a taxi (it isn’t far from the Hilton on Princes Wharf to the ship on Queens Wharf, but we had a lot of luggage!).

Very easy check-in.  Never had to show any Silversea documentation.  Made it onboard just after The Restaurant had stopped serving lunch, but were able to eat at La Terrazza.  Disappointing start to the cruise:  it’s a buffet, and not the best layout or selection (this is where larger ships like Celebrity excel, except for the crowds).

Cabins were promised for 2 pm and the announcement came exactly on time.  We found our Deluxe Veranda suite and were immediately greeted by our Butler.  Our luggage was already in the cabin.  It is wonderful – larger than a Club Continent Suite on Azamara, which really helps Silversea in a price comparison.  Love the mild art deco design on the wood trim, and the layout is very functional.

Dinner in The Restaurant was a second disappointment.  The menu arrangement is confusing (it’s divided into three sections:  flavours of the day, chef’s selections, and the large regular menu).  At this point we aren’t sure how often the choices will vary on which parts of the menu; the waiter said something about every three days.  The list was very long, but we found it difficult to find something that really appealed and none of what we ordered was as good as it sounded.

Entertainment the first evening was billed as a sampler of what we can expect.  I hope that’s not true!  The singers, dancers and band were all excellent, but the selection of songs was very strange – I didn’t recognize any of them, and DW only knew the last one (Pharrell Williams, who I don’t recognize at all).  This was clearly aimed at a different generation than the grey heads in the audience!

The second day, breakfast at La Terrazza was another disappointment.  Nothing is made â la minute and the eggs are inedible.  Pastries (and the rolls at dinner) are at the Costco level.  Coffee is weak.

Thankfully it gets better from there.  I really like the way Silversea handles shore excursions.  We pre-booked all our excursions as soon as they were posted (and changed to later times when a second departure was added).  The range of choices was excellent, and most days we chose an included excursion (which never happened on our Viking Ocean cruise or on the Regent cruises I have investigated).

We also like that they don’t charge you for pre-booked excursions until you are onboard, and booking early locks in the price – two of our extra-cost excursions had price increases, but we are being charged the original price.  In one case this was a major change:  they realized that an excursion was too long not to have lunch, so they added it and raised the price from $139 to $199 – but we still only paid $139.  (I can think of several other cruise lines that would have cancelled this excursion and listed a revised one at the higher price, forcing us to rebook and pay up.  Props to Silversea for this.)

Our first excursion, the extra-cost trip from Tauranga to the Hobbiton Movie Set, was excellent.  (This was the excursion with the added lunch feature.)  Lunch was at the Red Barn, a wedding venue but the best ‘wedding food’ I have ever had.  Tours at Hobbiton are handled by the attraction and are very good (even for DW, who is not a LOTR or Hobbit fan).  The coach was comfortable and included some (but not too much) narration of the areas we were passing through.

Dinner in The Restaurant the second night was much better.  The first two parts of the menu (local flavours and chef’s selections) were completely different; the main part (two pages) was unchanged – we’ll see if it changes after three days.  We found several appealing selections in every category, and everything we ordered was excellent.  The included wines are acceptable, and poured very freely.

Entertainment was Boogie Fever, with disco-era hits.  It was only 25 minutes long but they went non-stop and DW’s only disappointment was that she couldn’t get up and dance along.  So they got the generation right, and the crowd was very pleased.

Today is a Sea Day.  Our itinerary was unusual in that we were to leave Tauranga and sail north past Auckland and the Bay is Islands, then loop around to the west side of the North Island and sail down to the Cook Strait for Picton.  But when we got out of the harbor I noticed that the land was on the wrong side of the ship – we were sailing south from Tauranga along the west side of the North Island.  Checking the windy.com website showed why:  lots of wind on both sides of the North Island, with a tricky pattern in the Cook Strait.  We’ve had a lot of rolling last night and this morning even on this ‘leeward’ side, so the Captain has spared us a really rough time.

Tons of activities on Sea Day, but I can’t tell you about the early ones because I had a lovely lie-in.  I did go to the Destination Lecture with Jim Rowe, which was very interesting and not at all a sales pitch for shore excursions; he focused on the geology of fiords and geysers.

I went to lunch in The Restaurant and was surprised to find a buffet set up.  Turns out it was the special Pub Lunch, which had to be relocated from the pool deck because of the wind.  The chef was slicing off thick slabs of Eye Round, with Yorkshire Pudding and gravy – it was delicious!

They had earlier had a presentation on the wine onboard and had left three tables filled with the entire selection – two tables of extra-cost wines, and one table with a big selection of included wines.  I took pictures of all the included selections and will now be able to request wines to taste.

Tonight is the first of three (dreaded) Formal Nights.  I have packed a suit and DW has three dresses, so we will comply.  But I can report that the dress code is already being eased:  prior to sailing the documents said we would have 3 formal, 8 informal and 5 casual nights – but onboard it has been changed to 3 formal, 5 informal and 8 casual.

Overall impression at this point:  Silversea may be a good choice for us.  Because the basic Veranda cabins are so nice and excursions are included, all Silversea has to be is Azamara with better ships – and I’m pretty sure they will meet that standard.  [I hope so, as we have two more Silversea cruises booked!]

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Jazz, I wouldn't drink their drip/filter coffee either. It's dishwater pretty much no matter where you get it from. I won't even drink it at home!

Just order an Americano if you want a stronger coffee. They will make one for you no matter which restaurant you're in; the only (slight) downside is that you have to wait for it rather than having them pour it right away. IMO the wait is well worth it.

Enjoy the rest of the cruise!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Can you clarify, excursions are included but are you saying you booked upcharge ones, similar to how Regent does it?

Each day there is a list of included excursions – quite extensive choice that covers most bases.  There is also a list of extra-cost excursions each day for things that are more expensive than typical excursions:  e.g. 6-7 hours to Hobbiton Movie Set (with lunch and all admission fees); Marlborough sheep farm + winery [a panoramic tour with wine tasting is an included option]; Helicopter or Small Plane Whale Watching [Whale Watching by boat is an included option].  I find the included choices far better than those on Regent or Viking cruises * have researched.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Jazz, I wouldn't drink their drip/filter coffee either. It's dishwater pretty much no matter where you get it from. I won't even drink it at home!

Just order an Americano if you want a stronger coffee. They will make one for you no matter which restaurant you're in; the only (slight) downside is that you have to wait for it rather than having them pour it right away. IMO the wait is well worth it.

Enjoy the rest of the cruise!

Today I went to the Panorama Lounge and had a Latte made for me.  It was also weak.  I will try asking for a double latte.

Tonight's formal dinner was another win.  Very flavorful Mulligatawny soup.  Lobster Thermidor.  Desserts at dinner continue to hit a high bar.  The poured white wine was Viognier, but I requested the Macon-Lugny and a bottle was quickly fetched and opened for me.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 2SailingNomads said:

Can you clarify, excursions are included but are you saying you booked upcharge ones, similar to how Regent does it?

Three types of excursions, "Included" , you are allow one per day per passenger free of charge ( can take a second but will be charged) A couple can do two different ones. "Select " these are chargeable and tend to be more upmarket with meals, and finally Private tour, this a private car tour with guide and you pick where to go, this  chargeable. 

On 1/18/2024 at 7:21 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

After reading your comment about included tours switched to extra-cost I checked my upcoming cruise and noticed that 2 of my booked included tours now carry an extra charge.  A line is drawn through the price on my booking so I’m assuming there’ll be no charge.  So it pays to book excursions ASAP apparently.

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Each day there is a list of included excursions – quite extensive choice that covers most bases.  There is also a list of extra-cost excursions each day for things that are more expensive than typical excursions:  e.g. 6-7 hours to Hobbiton Movie Set (with lunch and all admission fees); Marlborough sheep farm + winery [a panoramic tour with wine tasting is an included option]; Helicopter or Small Plane Whale Watching [Whale Watching by boat is an included option].  I find the included choices far better than those on Regent or Viking cruises * have researched

7 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Jazz, how are you finding the condition of the ship?  Whisper is one of the older ones and was our first SS cruise.

The ship is in fine condition. The only problems from its age are the absence of the coffee bar and extra specialty restaurants that the newer ships have. 

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to First Impressions of Silversea (Whisper)

Update/Correction:  DW found that you can order omelettes etc in La Terrazza from your table. Our mistake based on other cruise lines where you order at the counter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Thanks for posting.  Which ship are you on?

5 hours ago, nfcu said:

What ship is he on?  Did he mention it anywhere and I missed it?

Fixed the title to specify Whisper 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Update/Correction:  DW found that you can order omelettes etc in La Terrazza from your table. Our mistake based on other cruise lines where you order at the counter. 

I actually was thinking about this and logged on to say you can order from your table. Glad you found out. I’m at La Terrazza now on the Shadow  in Somoa having breakfast outside and ordered an omelette and a bagel. 

26 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Yes, all sorts of eggs to order, and also pancakes, waffles, maybe even French toast?

During lunch at LT you can also order a whole pizza. We almost always do that rather than eat the stuff that's been sitting at the buffet, unless it's fresh.

11 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Yes, all sorts of eggs to order, and also pancakes, waffles, maybe even French toast?

During lunch at LT you can also order a whole pizza. We almost always do that rather than eat the stuff that's been sitting at the buffet, unless it's fresh.

We sometimes order a pizza to be delivered at the pool lunch area for lunch! Here was yesterday’s lunch by the pool. My husband ordered this one with extra cheese and salami. 

IMG_8544.thumb.jpeg.de04a4da7d2b4aa18f6b21b39505a671.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Gourmet Gal said:

After reading your comment about included tours switched to extra-cost I checked my upcoming cruise and noticed that 2 of my booked included tours now carry an extra charge.  A line is drawn through the price on my booking so I’m assuming there’ll be no charge.  So it pays to book excursions ASAP apparently.

What I found on mine that was switched to extra cost is that if you look at My Reserved Activities which shows the total cost it will be zero for that excursion. So yes, it pays to book ASAP.

• Like 1

•  Second excursion (also extra-charge) included a sheep farm (Meadowbank) with herding and shearing demos, lovely chats with the young couple who own the (incredibly huge!) farm, and home-baked scones, brownies and banana cake with hot tea and coffee; then a wine tasting at a boutique winery (Forrest) that grows lots of unusual grape varieties (Petit Manseng, anyone?); then an unscheduled stop at a boutique chocolatier.  

•  Picton provides shuttles into town.  We have two small buses doing the loop, no wait to get on.  Ovation of the Seas has many large coaches, and a really long line in Picton waiting to get on.  Around vote for small ships!

•  Fresh Flower displays throughout the ship – a lovely touch

•  Team Trivia is on a very friendly footing – and our team has won both days!  And DW won the first Quiz.  So now we have 25 points toward useless junk at the end of the cruise.  But it was all fun!  😁

Last night was Formal Night #1.  We dined in The Restaurant.  I normally wouldn't pay attention to what others are wearing, but because of the dress code threads on this forum lately I thought a little scientific research was in order.  Most men seemed to have dark suits.  Second largest group had sport coats and ties.  I only noticed one tux and one white dinner jacket (they really stand out).  Didn't notice anyone not meeting the dress code (but I wasn't doing a thorough search – this is just what I noticed), and didn't have a view of the maître d's station so don't know whether enforcement was happening (or needed).  [This is a 16-night cruise in New Zealand and Australia and not during school vacations, so we may have a more formal-oriented passenger mix.]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1