Cruise canceled

We are in the same situation.  Unfortunately, Regent is only offering three cruises at a discount in lieu of the canceled cruise. We were really looking forward to this cruise. 

Z and TB

We just received notice that our May 14 cruise on Navigator has been canceled as well. The explanation given in the email was that Regent also canceled the prior cruise on Navigator, which was scheduled to transit the Suez Canal, and as a result, Navigator will instead sail around Africa (with no passengers) in order to get the ship back to friendly Mediterranean waters.

This is completely understandable. What isn't understandable, or really acceptable to me, is that the only alternative we are being offered is a 25% discount on a "new" replacement cruise that doesn't sail until May 25 (and with a completely different itinerary than our cruise). If we don't want that, we'll get our money back, of course, but no discount - or even special assistance - is being offered on any other cruise we might want to book with Regent instead. This was to have been our first sailing on Regent. Can't say I'm impressed with their customer service. Unfortunately, I think this is becoming the norm across cruise lines. Being owned by giant corporations doesn't help.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BaltiGator said:

We just received notice that our May 14 cruise on Navigator has been canceled as well. The explanation given in the email was that Regent also canceled the prior cruise on Navigator, which was scheduled to transit the Suez Canal, and as a result, Navigator will instead sail around Africa (with no passengers) in order to get the ship back to friendly Mediterranean waters.

They’re re-routing the world cruise to sail around Africa. So there will be passengers. 

2 minutes ago, jeb_bud said:

They’re re-routing the world cruise to sail around Africa. So there will be passengers. 

The World Cruise is on Mariner.  Both ships had to reroute.

My husband and I were booked on this as well.  Celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary.   We are so very disappointed.  Mariner will be sailing Lisbon to NYC, May 21 - June 2 instead.  We love transoceanic cruising but don't know if we want to fly all the way to Portugal.

Boohoo!

5 minutes ago, OilPainter2020 said:

Zqueeze1, would have loved meeting you and your wife.  I've followed your posts on CruiseCritic with much enjoyment.  We used to live in FLL.

Thanks!  We are looking at the three options Regent is offering at a discount and may take the Lisbon to NYC cruise, which should be cheaper and limits the time away from TB and her cats.  Waiting on the new pricing before deciding.  Too bad that Regent is only offering three cruises to pick from if you want a discounted rate.

Z and TB

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Too bad that Regent is only offering three cruises to pick from if you want a discounted rate.

It works for Regent.  Those are the sailings the need to fill up without a lot of advance notice.  Hopefully they will be priced accordingly, in addition to the 30% discount.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BaltiGator said:

This is completely understandable. What isn't understandable, or really acceptable to me, is that the only alternative we are being offered is a 25% discount on a "new" replacement cruise that doesn't sail until May 25 (and with a completely different itinerary than our cruise). If we don't want that, we'll get our money back, of course, but no discount - or even special assistance - is being offered on any other cruise we might want to book with Regent instead. This was to have been our first sailing on Regent. Can't say I'm impressed with their customer service. Unfortunately, I think this is becoming the norm across cruise lines. Being owned by giant corporations doesn't help.

Welcome to regent.  Their customer service is definitely lacking and they really don't care.  We had 5 cruises booked with them and cut that to one to utilize a few FCC which we have accrued through all of regent's missteps.  Still not 100% we will go on that one.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zqueeze1 said:

Thanks!  We are looking at the three options Regent is offering at a discount and may take the Lisbon to NYC cruise, which should be cheaper and limits the time away from TB and her cats.  Waiting on the new pricing before deciding.  Too bad that Regent is only offering three cruises to pick from if you want a discounted rate.

Z and TB

Z, you could always join us March 25 Miami-New York on the Grandeur.  Would love that.

Just now, tnr said:

Z, you could always join us March 25 Miami-New York on the Grandeur.  Would love that.

I regret to inform you that we just rebooked to your cruise!  Heaven help us.  It took a lot of haggling, but my TA did a great job and was able to get us an F1 cabin.  We now have a little over a month to take care of all the arrangements.  See you onboard.

Z and TB

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

The MARINER is the World Cruise ship, now to sail around Africa.  Navigator has different non-passenger plans

7 hours ago, tnr said:

I just looked at pricing for that one for same category we had on the May 17 cruise on Mariner. Yikes! is all I can say.  1st time Regent cruisers.....and won't be booking again. 

Regent March cruise.jpg

If anyone is interested in changing to the March 25th sailing on Grandeur, talk to your TA. The sailing has availability and is being offered for very attractive pricing by some large well known travel outfits which can be matched by any good TA with good connections at Regent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I just looked at pricing for that one for same category we had on the May 17 cruise on Mariner. Yikes! is all I can say.  1st time Regent cruisers.....and won't be booking again. 

Regent March cruise.jpg

I wouldn't "not sail Regent" because the pricing on a sold out cruise (waitlisted only) that leaves in a month on their brand new ship is high.  Regent is a "for profit" business after all.  As  such they'll charge whatever the market will bear.  That's why it's always best to book as far in advance as possible, as the ship sells out the prices go up.  The stockholders would have it no other way.  

True story.... a number of years ago I saw an INSIDE CABIN on a Royal Caribbean cruise, one of the older class ships, for $100,000 PER PERSON!!!  😱. It was the only cabin left, so I guess they figured, what the heck.  Don't know if it sold or not.  But it certainly didn't make me say "won't be booking again."  I simply laughed and moved on to cruises that I found more in my price range. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NYC-London said:

If anyone is interested in changing to the March 25th sailing on Grandeur, talk to your TA. The sailing has availability and is being offered for very attractive pricing by some large well known travel outfits which can be matched by any good TA with good connections at Regent.

We were fortunate.  That is exactly what we did.  As soon as we booked, the well known travel outfit raised the price by four grand since we got their last F1 suite in their inventory.  We were fortunate and we were also the squeaky wheel with our TA to expedite before the reservation and price point would disappear.  

Z and TB

Edited by Zqueeze1
  • Like 1

Supply and demand will dictate price pretty much for everything. If you read any of my posts on these Regent boards, you will know that I look at Regent with a critical eye. I give them credit for what they do well and point out where they fail to meet expectations and/or just did a an unacceptable job. The initial cost can cause sticker shock. But, when you look at what’s included, especially the business class air overseas, it starts to make more sense. If you want to make your own air and hotel accommodations they will give you a credit. Sometimes those credits are reasonable and sometimes they seem low depending on the specific route. The point is, as others have said, it’s specific to an itinerary and the timing of when you book the cruise. My suggestion, is that you look at cruises you would be interested in, find a good TA, and then evaluate your options and costs as to whether you take the included services like air, hotel and transfers or if the credits make more sense for your individual situation. That’s something that should be done no matter what cruise line you choose. Good luck to you.

I have been watching the March 25th MIA-NYC cruise very closely. For the past month, there has been plenty of availability and many TAs were able to offer it at a significant discount. On Wednesday night there were at least 60 cabins available. This morning it appears that inventory has disappeared and the prices are back to normal. I wonder if Regent removed cabins from inventory and removed all discounts to be able to offer to passengers affected by the Mariner cancellation. I find it hard to believe that the inventory has been available for weeks and overnight 60 cabins were sold, at the exact same time the Mariner cruise was cancelled, esp since that was not one of the “replacement” cruises offered.

49 minutes ago, Zqueeze1 said:

We were fortunate.  That is exactly what we did.  As soon as we booked, the well known travel outfit raised the price by four grand since we got their last F1 suite in their inventory.  We were fortunate and we were also the squeaky wheel with our TA to expedite before the reservation and price point would disappear.  

Z and TB

See you onboard - glad you can join us!