Do I have to get a Medallion?

Wanderfully

Is it still possible to take my paperwork and passport, show up at the port at 1pm and get a key card and start my relaxing vacation on Princess? 

My last cruise was in 2018 and I have nothing I need to reserve and have no packages of any kind. Since I've only cruised with Princess 8 times, I'm not loyal enough for anything so not concerned about tiers or colors.

You have no choice but to accept the Medallion presented to you by the port agents at check-in.  The port agents have no access to the software/machine that will program cruise cards.  The Medallions already come pre-personalized and pre-programmed; all the port agents job is to confirm that you have presented the correct documentation and activate the Medallion by pressing a box on their tablet.  When you get on board, you can go to Guest Services and request that your Medallion be deactivated and swapped out for a cruise card.  TBH, it's a toss up if GS will swap out your Medallion.  They refused my cruise card request on the Enchanted in November 2023 and Emerald Princess in January 2024, citing that they were out of blank cruise cards.  Up until then, I was able to do the swap with no problems.  Not sure why the change because the crew still use crew cards to exit/enter the ship and open their cabins.  Don't know what will happen if you say that you have a pacemaker because it's stated that the magnet in the Medallion can interfere with pacemakers.  YMMV.

• Haha 2

I understand, that a Medallion is required.  The reason for this item, is for security needs of boarding and location of an individual.  They are free and can be picked up at the port.

The Medallion, is used for everything from identity, to restaurant bookings (mDR or specialities restaurants), the on board shops, bars etc.  and it’s used as a tracking device on board the ship.  

keycards I understand we’re discontinued.  

You must go thru the Medallion app or the online web version to complete the required process. 

it’s rather painless and it’s rather useful.  I’ve on my 14 cruise using the device.

• Like 2

Actually, never mind!  I just saw a similar question posed last Thursday at 7:23 with an answer from EM who said that you can ask for a key card if you want one. Thank you for such a clear response also SXC22. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wanderfully said:

Is it still possible to take my paperwork and passport, show up at the port at 1pm and get a key card and start my relaxing vacation on Princess? 

My last cruise was in 2018 and I have nothing I need to reserve and have no packages of any kind. Since I've only cruised with Princess 8 times, I'm not loyal enough for anything so not concerned about tiers or colors.

You can exchange the medallion for a card to open your door. There are some options that the medallion has that you would not have, my favorite being finding my folk’s onboard 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m just wondering why you don’t want the medallion? No judgment - just curious as to your reasons. Have you cruised with Princess using a medallion and had a bad experience? 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SCX22 said:

You have no choice but to accept the Medallion presented to you by the port agents at check-in.  The port agents have no access to the software/machine that will program cruise cards.  The Medallions already come pre-personalized and pre-programmed; all the port agents job is to confirm that you have presented the correct documentation and activate the Medallion by pressing a box on their tablet.  When you get on board, you can go to Guest Services and request that your Medallion be deactivated and swapped out for a cruise card.  TBH, it's a toss up if GS will swap out your Medallion.  They refused my cruise card request on the Enchanted in November 2023 and Emerald Princess in January 2024, citing that they were out of blank cruise cards.  Up until then, I was able to do the swap with no problems.  Not sure why the change because the crew still use crew cards to exit/enter the ship and open their cabins.  Don't know what will happen if you say that you have a pacemaker because it's stated that the magnet in the Medallion can interfere with pacemakers.  YMMV.

The magnet in the Medalion is not powerful enough to cause any issues with a pacemaker. Been on 2 cruises with the Medalion without a single issue...  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CruznMooses said:

The magnet in the Medalion is not powerful enough to cause any issues with a pacemaker. Been on 2 cruises with the Medalion without a single issue...  

I'm curious too.

Actually, never mind!  I just saw a similar question posed last Thursday at 7:23 with an answer from EM who said that you can ask for a key card if you want one. Thank you for such a clear response also SXC22. 

The medallion is the key-card. It's no different.. other than you don't have to insert it in the key-hole.. it picks up that you're nearby. Don't sweat the small stuff. 

• Like 5

Wanderfully - I respect and applaud your preference to board simply without any pre-cruise reservations or package upsells. You can certainly do so and it might enhance your relaxation to not give it another thought.

Keycards do still exist, despite the absolute claims by some that they don't. As others have said, you might or might not be able to substitute the medallion for a one once on board, depending on the ship. Another option for you if you can't get a card (and I don't know or need to know your motivation) might be a credit card sized Faraday pouch.  It'll fit in a pocket without taking up much more room than a card. Keep you medallion in that and pull it out only when you have to.

May I ask, why don't you want a medallion? They are really just the same as the old key card in a smaller package with a few extra features. They are easy to carry with no downside. As you approach your cabin the door latch unlocks, making it easy to enter the room especially when your hands are full. If you have friends on board you can locate them very easy by going to one of the screens around the ship. Just like the old cruise card the medallion only has a code that identifies you. No personal information is stored on the medallion. I suggest you use it. If after a few days you find something you don't like, I don't think you will, then go to passenger services. My comment is provided as a person that really does not embrace or very much use app technology. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, skynight said:

May I ask, why don't you want a medallion? They are really just the same as the old key card in a smaller package with a few extra features. They are easy to carry with no downside. As you approach your cabin the door latch unlocks, making it easy to enter the room especially when your hands are full. If you have friends on board you can locate them very easy by going to one of the screens around the ship. Just like the old cruise card the medallion only has a code that identifies you. No personal information is stored on the medallion. I suggest you use it. If after a few days you find something you don't like, I don't think you will, then go to passenger services. My comment is provided as a person that really does not embrace or very much use app technology. 

I can’t speak for the OP but while I will use and appreciate the Medallion I can understand people being creeped out by it.

It knows where you are all the time when you are onboard.  It is absolutely a method of surveillance.  It is our choice to be on a cruise so I am fine with it.

But I do find it a bit creepy.  

Edited by bladerunner6
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, bladerunner6 said:

It knows where you are all the time when you are onboard.  It is absolutely a method of surveillance.  It is our choice to be on a cruise so I am fine with it.

This would be very intrusive if they used programs to track your movements and then try to sell you stuff according to where you spend most of your time. Worst if they sell the information to 3rd parties. On the + side on those cumbersome turn around days at U.S. ports Princess should be able to locate those missing passengers that did not read the instructions.

Edited by skynight
  • Like 1

The tracking works to a certain extent.  I was on a cruise were we had to go repeat the muster drill for a missing passenger because he could not be tracked--or should I say he wasn't where his Medallion was.  Don't know the entire story and only repeating what I over heard from the crew...A lady was couldn't find her husband.  The Medallion locator function was showing that he was in their cabin, but he wasn't there (I assume he left his cabin without his Medallion).  Numerous announcements were made to make himself known (these I head with my own two ears), but no response from the "missing" passenger.  All passengers were made to report to their muster stations to tap their Medallion.  The story ends here.  I assume that the passenger was found, but I personally never heard if he was.

9 hours ago, MacMadame said:

I'm curious too.

9 hours ago, CruznMooses said:

Princess has a warning about pacemakers and the Medallions.  Maybe it's to cover themselves in case something comes up with pacemakers and someone decides to pony up a lawsuit.  As the warning says all devices are different.

Screenshot 2024-02-11 072935.jpg

• Thanks 2

Well, from the length of time I've been a member of CruiseCritic and the small number of posts, I'm sure most can tell I use this site for information gathering not for interaction. But to clarify for those of you that asked specifically, I could care less about being tracked and have no pacemaker ( although I may have one by my next cruise lol) 

I don't like the Medallion system because I'm saddened and disappointed that the Marketing Dept hoodwinked the executives at Princess into thinking this was a good idea. 

I'm deeply saddened that Princess and its employees ( IT, Guest Services, Call Centers and TAs have spent countless hours, and many many dollars on the Medallion itself and the Medallion app ( now Princess app because Marketing surely wants to distance itself from the word Medallion) trying to fix all the problems that have so frustrated and yes, angered, even the loyalist among us.

And all that time and money could have been spent on better pay for the crew, and enhancements to the Princess product.

Goodness knows how much more has to be spent in the future trying to burnish the Princess name.

In the 8 cruises before now, I never had trouble finding anyone on the ship in my party. And if I did, it was probably fun. We discussed our day in the morning and made dates and never looked at phones.  (3:50 at Club Fusion for Bingo.. 2:30 at the Terrace bar after Trivia)  

The technology that allows the crew to see our name I feel is condescending. What used to be a fun interaction, a smile directed at a crew member with our drink request, a smile returned and some banter is now reduced to a crew member having to add an extra layer of servitude. ( smile and greet the customer by name, memorize what they like so they don't even have to talk you, your customer needs to feel special because ....because?  I don't know why,,,are we all that needy?) ........Maybe we just need to talk and interact with people a bit more and we'd all feel happy and special.

You may think I'm a luddite, preachy, old fashioned, this is the wave of the future and you may be right.....but I'll tell you, I hope its working for you because that is not what I'm reading on these boards or anywhere else in life. And at my age, I've learned that keeping it simple, not wasting time trying to keep frustration at bay and keeping things people to people on a even level as much as you can makes me a lot happier

These are just my feelings, not right or wrong. I love Princess and not using the Medallion is a way I can withdraw support from what I feel was a damaging decision.

• Like 5
  • Haha 9

24 minutes ago, Wanderfully said:

What used to be a fun interaction, a smile directed at a crew member with our drink request, a smile returned and some banter is now reduced to a crew member having to add an extra layer of servitude

Sorry, but based on my experiences, you've overstated this quite a bit. Those "fun" interactions are still there. You'll find them when you interact outside of placing an order while spending time at their bar or in their section. 

This level of "servitude" you describe has always been there anyway. All that doting in the dining room, for example, has taken place for decades without the Medallion.

The Medallions also have some benefit for crew that you're overlooking. The room stews come to mind. The system tells them who's in and out of their cabins. Imagine they can complete their work more efficiently without bothering people with needless knocks on doors. Ever walk into your cabin to find the stew making the bed? It can be an awkward and uncomfortable interaction. Haven't had that happen with the Medallions. The stews can see your patterns and adapt.

The "talking and interacting more" with the crew hasn't gone anywhere with the addition of the Medallions. 

Here's to happy interactions!  Cheers!

image.thumb.png.11b976d22a431156ececa714441342f9.png

Edited by Outerdog
  • Like 10

@Wanderfully thank you for taking the time to answer my question with such a thoughtful response. Clearly you have really thought through what is important for you. Our experience with the medallion system has been quite positive, but I certainly appreciate and understand your personal preferences. Hope it works out for you to get a card. 

• Like 3

IMHO, the medallion was a good idea and works well. "Medallion app" was poorly named and led to much confusion. "Princess app" is a more logical choice.

It seems like Princess continually introduces new programs that are poorly conceived. Undoubtedly, they are trying to attract the next generation of cruisers but tend to alienate their core supporters in the process. The recent shareholder OBC/Stockperks fiasco comes to mind. Moving previously "free" venues to paid, such as Alfredo's pizza is another. 

If they want to attract a younger crowd, they could start by renaming "Crooners". That name conjures up images of the 1940s-1950s. How many people know what a "crooner" is without using Google?

• Like 1

Well, from the length of time I've been a member of CruiseCritic and the small number of posts, I'm sure most can tell I use this site for information gathering not for interaction. But to clarify for those of you that asked specifically, I could care less about being tracked and have no pacemaker ( although I may have one by my next cruise lol) 

I don't like the Medallion system because I'm saddened and disappointed that the Marketing Dept hoodwinked the executives at Princess into thinking this was a good idea. 

I'm deeply saddened that Princess and its employees ( IT, Guest Services, Call Centers and TAs have spent countless hours, and many many dollars on the Medallion itself and the Medallion app ( now Princess app because Marketing surely wants to distance itself from the word Medallion) trying to fix all the problems that have so frustrated and yes, angered, even the loyalist among us.

And all that time and money could have been spent on better pay for the crew, and enhancements to the Princess product.

Goodness knows how much more has to be spent in the future trying to burnish the Princess name.

In the 8 cruises before now, I never had trouble finding anyone on the ship in my party. And if I did, it was probably fun. We discussed our day in the morning and made dates and never looked at phones.  (3:50 at Club Fusion for Bingo.. 2:30 at the Terrace bar after Trivia)  

The technology that allows the crew to see our name I feel is condescending. What used to be a fun interaction, a smile directed at a crew member with our drink request, a smile returned and some banter is now reduced to a crew member having to add an extra layer of servitude. ( smile and greet the customer by name, memorize what they like so they don't even have to talk you, your customer needs to feel special because ....because?  I don't know why,,,are we all that needy?) ........Maybe we just need to talk and interact with people a bit more and we'd all feel happy and special.

You may think I'm a luddite, preachy, old fashioned, this is the wave of the future and you may be right.....but I'll tell you, I hope its working for you because that is not what I'm reading on these boards or anywhere else in life. And at my age, I've learned that keeping it simple, not wasting time trying to keep frustration at bay and keeping things people to people on a even level as much as you can makes me a lot happier

These are just my feelings, not right or wrong. I love Princess and not using the Medallion is a way I can withdraw support from what I feel was a damaging decision.

You were asked for your reasons and gave a serious response. I think it is awful that some posters reacted with the laughter icon. I gave you a like, and also like you want nothing to do with a medallion.

• Like 1