Whittier in June - thinking of renting a car

masonchar

We will be in Whittier in mid June on a back to back cruise.   Was thinking of renting a car and driving to Anchorage.  We are there from 12:30am to 8pm.

Has anybody done this?  There is an Avis rental car company in Whittier.   Is it worth the drive to Anchorage?

It's kind of hard to answer not knowing your interest, but I don't recommend Anchorage unless you have a reason to go there.  You could explore around the Portage Valley which is the valley you will be in when you come out of the Whittier Tunnel.  There are a couple of easy hikes I could recommend there, and it's a very pretty valley.  When you come out of the tunnel and head to the Seward Highway, I also recommend the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center and/or hop up to Girdwood and take the tram up Mt. Alyeska and/or there are a number of hikes there also I would recommend.  Girdwood is a lovely little town.  Grab lunch at he Bake Shop at the base of Mt. Alyeska and stop at Girdwood Brewing.  Even if you don't like beer, they have their own great root beer and always have food trucks.  If you are interested in any of that, we can provide more details. 

• Like 2

Thanks for this information.  We have a lot of interests ... so everything you mentioned sounds good.

We do like exploring different areas, so going to Girdwood sounds great.  

I would still like to go to Anchorage, even if it is just to drive around and then head back.  

Thanks again!

We’ve rented a car in Whittier on a b2b once and drove to Anchorage to visit family. I agree with AKJonesy that it’s more about the journey than the destination of Anchorage. Although unlikely, you may see beluga whales in Turnagain Arm and dall sheep along the cliffs at Windy Point. The new bored tide schedule is out. Check to see if it coincides with the date and time you’ll be driving along the Arm.

https://girdwood.com/bore-tide-schedule/

Thanks Glaciers.   Unfortunately, the tide schedule says "tiny".

But yes, I am beginning to realize that the journey will be more interesting than the destination.

Thanks!

There is only one road to Anchorage. During the summer it can get quite congested and possibly closed because of an accident. 7 1/2 hrs. is not enough time to safely accomplish this trip. Also you will need to deal with the Whittier tunnel schedule. Whatever you choose to do please keep that in mind. Have a great trip.

We get in just after midnight (12:30am)  Would pick the car up between 8:30 and 9am, and return it around 6:30pm.  Ship leaves at 8pm.  So, we will have at least 9 hours or so.   

But, I understand comments regarding the tunnel and congestion on the highway.

Thanks everyone.

You’d probably be fine returning at 6:30pm although that would be cutting it too close for us. It doesn’t allow for issues along the highway that can cause delays. We wouldn’t return it any later than 5pm.

• Like 1

I agree with AKJonesy.  I don't recommend Anchorage as a destination.  Girdwood & Alyeska is a great destination but if you want more of a scenic road trip, I recommend heading in the other direction toward Seward, or maybe out to Hope.  There are so many spots to stop the car and take in the beauty.

I also think 6:30 is cutting it a little close.  Remember, it's not a regular port call.  You're on a back-to-back, so they might want you there earlier.  I would try to be back around 5 or 5:30.  

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

I agree with AKJonesy.  I don't recommend Anchorage as a destination.  Girdwood & Alyeska is a great destination but if you want more of a scenic road trip, I recommend heading in the other direction toward Seward, or maybe out to Hope.  There are so many spots to stop the car and take in the beauty.

I also think 6:30 is cutting it a little close.  Remember, it's not a regular port call.  You're on a back-to-back, so they might want you there earlier.  I would try to be back around 5 or 5:30.  

Thanks for these suggestions.   I think we will explore other options (other than Anchorage) as recommended by others.

When I booked the cruise (with Princess), it was not called back to back.  I booked it as a 14 day cruise from Vancouver to Vancouver.  So, not sure if that makes a difference.

2 hours ago, masonchar said:

Thanks for these suggestions.   I think we will explore other options (other than Anchorage) as recommended by others.

When I booked the cruise (with Princess), it was not called back to back.  I booked it as a 14 day cruise from Vancouver to Vancouver.  So, not sure if that makes a difference.

It doesn’t make a difference.  The Avis rental is run out of the local general store.  I think the last time I asked you couldn’t pick the car up until around 9:00am.  Check out the Anton Anderson tunnel web site, so you know what you’re dealing with as far as times: https://dot.alaska.gov/creg/whittiertunnel/

The tunnel is open for 15 minutes every hour.  If you miss the window, you wait for the next one.  They are constructing a new NCL dock in Whittier, so construction traffic through the tunnel could be a problem.  

There is plenty to do close by.  Stop at Portage Glacier and take the small boat up to the glacier, visit the conservation center, ride the tram at Aleyeska, or look for Beluga whales at Beluga Point.  Seward is too far to drive, especially on a weekend when the road is congested with escapees from Los Anchorage.  Some of the best seafood in Alaska is at the Swiftwater Cafe in Whittier.  A fishing boat delivers fresh halibut and shrimp every day.

• Like 2

If that’s the place I’m remembering in Whittier, it was the best halibut sandwich I ever had. I lived in Kodiak for 3 years when my husband was serving and still, that little place in Whittier is my favorite. 

4 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

Some of the best seafood in Alaska is at the Swiftwater Cafe in Whittier.  A fishing boat delivers fresh halibut and shrimp every day.

Edited by Cruzaholic41

I see most are discouraging Anchorage but we really enjoyed our time there when we visited Whittier. We rented a car from Avis and drove along Turnagain Arm which was beautiful. We stopped and spotted a couple of Beluga whales. We visited the Earthquake museum and Alaska Native Heritage Center. We grabbed some Reindeer hotdogs for lunch and then took a short hike along the Tony Knowles trail and spotted a moose. On the way back to Whittier we made a brief stop in Girdwood. We parked the car back at Avis around 6:30 pm and left the keys in the drop box and we were back on the ship for dinner by 7 pm. It was a great day!

• Like 1

@AKJonesymade excellent recommendations. We spent multiple days in Girdwood several years ago and hit all of their highlights. The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center is a must for sure. Mt Alyeska tram is a gorgeous ride with views and short hikes. The Girdwood Bake Shop can't be missed as their homemade soups are delicious. (Chair 5 restaurant had awesome pizza, if that's your thing.)A stop at the Portage Glacier Begich Boggs visitor center is also great for glacier viewing and short yet informative exhibits.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2024 at 12:58 PM, wolfie11 said:

There is plenty to do close by.  Stop at Portage Glacier and take the small boat up to the glacier...

On 2/15/2024 at 7:52 AM, SightCRR said:

Also check the 1.5 mile family hike to Byon glacier from near portage glacier visitor center. 

I highly recommend these 2 ideas.  The glacier hike is flat and easy, and the boat ride to the glacier, I thought, was excellent.

• Like 1