Layover in Rome Airport? (FCO)

MajSteve

I expect to arrive at Rome (FCO) from my cruise transfer at around 10-11AM. My onward flight does not leave until 8:55 pm. What would be the earliest time that I could check in for that flight and check my large suitcase so I don't have to drag it around the terminal all day? As usual, thanks to all of you at Cruise Critic for the great advice and assistance!

I would suggest you arrange a tour with a company like the wonderful Rome in Limo. They will pick you up at the ship, tour, then drop you at the airport around 5pm. Your bags will go in the trunk of the vehicle. You can custom design the tour to meet your needs.

Otherwise, I suspect you will not be able to check your bags before 6pm.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MajSteve said:

I expect to arrive at Rome (FCO) from my cruise transfer at around 10-11AM. My onward flight does not leave until 8:55 pm. What would be the earliest time that I could check in for that flight and check my large suitcase so I don't have to drag it around the terminal all day? As usual, thanks to all of you at Cruise Critic for the great advice and assistance!

Checkin and luggage acceptance times vary by airline.  Who are you flying?

8 hours ago, BOB999 said:

Checkin and luggage acceptance times vary by airline.  Who are you flying?

In my experience, it varies by destination.  If you are traveling within the Schengen area, checkin will begin two hours prior to your flight.  If your flight is going outside the Schengen area, checkin will begin three hours prior.  

For example, if you are flying from FCO to CDG to connect to a flight to the US, checkin will begin two hours prior.  If you are flying from FCO to JFK or to connect in LHR, checkin will begin three hours prior.

Edited by *Miss G*

And note that there is a big difference between "checking in" and being able to check your luggage.  With many airline apps, you can check in far ahead of being able to check your bag.  Two different things.

In November, on Air Canada - FCO (Rome) to Toronto, Canada (YYZ), we could only check in and check in our luggage 3 hours before our flight.

Your cruise line may offer a post cruise excursion, this way you do not sit around the airport too long. A post cruise excursion, transfer from ship with sightseeing then dropped off at the airport, A transfer is direct from ship to airport.

I have taken Princess post excursion from ship, see Rome sights (some we got off the bus, some were only drive by) and dropped off at Rome airport FCO.

The one time we flew out of FCO was BA, and they were quite strict about the 3-hour check-in.

In your situation I would ditch the cruise line transfer to FCO, take the train to Termini, and leave my bags at the left luggage office there. Then you have some free time to spend in Rome before retrieving your luggage and taking the train to FCO for your flight.

1 hour ago, Twickenham said:

The one time we flew out of FCO was BA, and they were quite strict about the 3-hour check-in.

In your situation I would ditch the cruise line transfer to FCO, take the train to Termini, and leave my bags at the left luggage office there. Then you have some free time to spend in Rome before retrieving your luggage and taking the train to FCO for your flight.

The one caveat to your advice is that the OP must be prepared and capable of handling their own luggage (to the station, to the platform, onto the train, off the train, for the long walk through Termini to get to the left luggage office, etc).  This can be a problem for some travelers.  We always warn fellow cruisers that it is very unlikely that you will find anyone to help with luggage when moving through European train stations and trains.  

Hank

Last time I flew out of FCO after a cruise, I took a shuttle bus from Civitavecchia to Termini left luggage. Not much longer (time wise) and didn’t have to worry about moving luggage to/through station/train in Civitavecchia or people trying to get on/off train at multiple stops.