Question about Kids/Teens in Alaska

My family (me, my husband, his parents, and our 3 kids) is looking into a 7 day Regent Seven Seas Alaska trip for this summer. Our kids are aged 11, 16, and 19 and well-behaved. We know there is no Kids Club on the particular trip we are looking at. However, this trip looks perfect for our family. It is in early June (a time that works for us) and stops at the ports we want to see. 

We've never been on a Regent cruise before (and our last cruise was Disney 7 years ago). Although I'm confident my kids will not be a problem on the trip, will other passengers be upset that they are on the boat? I know some cruises are fairly "anti-kid", so I just want to make sure this is not one. Additionally, will there be other teens/pre-teens on the cruise?

I would expect a good number of kids on board for this cruise. Regent should put on a staff member if there are more than 10-12 younger kids (nothing your 16 would be interest in) to assist (not babysit). The vast majority of people have absolutely no issue with kids and neither does Regent. If your kids are well behaved there will be no issues at all. In fact, it has been my experience that kids are better behaved than adults. You will have a wonderful time!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I posted the news that Regent was running a "kids sail free" promotion, and I was concerned.  The majority of respondents said that most kids that came in board were very well behaved.  I've seen children on both Windstar and Oceania who have been beautifully behaved.  Looking at the ages of yours, and the fact that you have grandparents on board too, I don't see any problem.

There will always be people who don't want kids on board.  I had a friend say recently that she thought children were a necessary evil.  I haven't been in touch since.  The only problem arises if there are lots of children on board, because then they can cause a disturbance just by being kids.  Being an Alaskan cruise, there may well be other children on board, hopefully similar in age to your,

17 minutes ago, SellaVee said:

I posted the news that Regent was running a "kids sail free" promotion, and I was concerned.  The majority of respondents said that most kids that came in board were very well behaved.  I've seen children on both Windstar and Oceania who have been beautifully behaved.  Looking at the ages of yours, and the fact that you have grandparents on board too, I don't see any problem.

There will always be people who don't want kids on board.  I had a friend say recently that she thought children were a necessary evil.  I haven't been in touch since.  The only problem arises if there are lots of children on board, because then they can cause a disturbance just by being kids.  Being an Alaskan cruise, there may well be other children on board, hopefully similar in age to your,

Agreed! Regent allows and encourages families to cruise together. Seeking to block an age group that Regent allows would be like a guest trying to block those guests over 80. It's just ridiculous. As long as a guest behaves and follows the rules, they should be welcome.

• Like 3

Rose3232, please post after your cruise & let us know how it went. I’ve booked Alaska 7/25 for 7 of us, including 15 & 17 year old grandkids. I prefer smaller ships & wanted the focus on Alaska rather than distracting ship amusement park activities.

My kids first cruised on Regent when they were 12 and 17.  They are now 33 and 37.  They had a great time then and still love cruising.  If you have well behaved kids with table manners, it won’t be a problem.

We’ll be on the June 12 cruise with a 15 year-old. It would amaze me if he is the only kid on the cruise. There have been kids on most of our six Regent cruises and the only behavior issue I have seen was a parent who berated a server for not serving wine to his teenage son. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jeb_bud said:

We’ll be on the June 12 cruise with a 15 year-old. It would amaze me if he is the only kid on the cruise. There have been kids on most of our six Regent cruises and the only behavior issue I have seen was a parent who berated a server for not serving wine to his teenage son. 

I wonder if he was 21 and looked young.  However, some cultures do let teenagers have wine at dinner.  Shouldn’t berate a server though..the policy is 21..period. 

8 hours ago, rcandkc said:

I wonder if he was 21 and looked young.  However, some cultures do let teenagers have wine at dinner.  Shouldn’t berate a server though..the policy is 21..period. 

Not entirely true. If not in US waters, 18-20 yr olds can have wine and beer with caveats. This is, of course, moot on most of an Alaskan cruise, except the part in Canadian waters.

From the FAQ:

The sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages will be limited to guests aged 21 years or older. However, with the exception of Hawaii, Alaska and New England voyages not leaving U.S. territorial waters, guests between the ages of 18 through 20 may purchase and personally consume wine and beer only while on board and with the consent of an accompanying parent.  Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form.  This form can be obtained and completed at the Reception Desk upon embarkation.  While sailing on select international voyages, guests 18 years or older are permitted to consume alcoholic beverages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form.

1 minute ago, RELS said:

Not entirely true. If not in US waters, 18-20 yr olds can have wine and beer with caveats. This is, of course, moot on most of an Alaskan cruise, except the part in Canadian waters.

From the FAQ:

The sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages will be limited to guests aged 21 years or older. However, with the exception of Hawaii, Alaska and New England voyages not leaving U.S. territorial waters, guests between the ages of 18 through 20 may purchase and personally consume wine and beer only while on board and with the consent of an accompanying parent.  Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form.  This form can be obtained and completed at the Reception Desk upon embarkation.  While sailing on select international voyages, guests 18 years or older are permitted to consume alcoholic beverages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form.

Wow..I’ve never seen that but it does make sense to be inconclusive of all cultures.  In US it’s obviously 21 except I turned legal Sept 1 (I think) 1973 in Texas as a 20 year old.  Law changed for a short time to 18.  Strange times. 

Just now, rcandkc said:

Wow..I’ve never seen that but it does make sense to be inconclusive of all cultures.  In US it’s obviously 21 except I turned legal Sept 1 (I think) 1973 in Texas as a 20 year old.  Law changed for a short time to 18.  Strange times. 

When I was in college in Illinois umpty-ump years ago, I could drink beer/wine at 18 in one town, and across the street in the other town the age was 19. I don't remember which age was Champaign and which age was Urbana. Must be all that beer I drank.

9 hours ago, rcandkc said:

Many states allow a minor to drink in the presence of their parent.

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/alcohol-laws

10 hours ago, RELS said:

From the FAQ:

This "policy" seems unnecessarily complicated. No wonder parents & servers could become confused.

A friend did this same trip with her extended family last summer and said they had a wonderful time.  Grandparents, parents and three kids similar ages to yours. She said there are lots of families on that route that time of year. She and her husband are veteran Regent cruisers. I don't think she frequents this site but if you have a specific question I can ask her.