Pre cruise hotel Miami

bitob

On 2/19/2024 at 3:04 PM, marycruz said:

We are looking at the AKA Brickell if anyone has any info on this hotel.  

Haven't stayed at AKA but its Brickell location is great for a 1-2 night pre cruise stay.  Walking distance to dozens of restaurants.  Another choice is the Four Seasons Miami (in Brickell) which has a very large elevated pool deck with views of the city and out over the bay.  We would not want to stay in Coral Gables for one night, would prefer to stay closer for a short hop to the port.

10 hours ago, stan01 said:

Haven't stayed at AKA but its Brickell location is great for a 1-2 night pre cruise stay.  Walking distance to dozens of restaurants.  Another choice is the Four Seasons Miami (in Brickell) which has a very large elevated pool deck with views of the city and out over the bay.  We would not want to stay in Coral Gables for one night, would prefer to stay closer for a short hop to the port.

Thanks much!

14 hours ago, stan01 said:

We were booked there on a Splendor cruise as part of our “free” hotel package about 2 years ago. We would not want to stay there again and it has had some bad reviews here on CC over the past. Appears Regent heard the critiques and changed hotels. 

1 hour ago, Gpilon said:

We were booked there on a Splendor cruise as part of our “free” hotel package about 2 years ago. We would not want to stay there again and it has had some bad reviews here on CC over the past. Appears Regent heard the critiques and changed hotels. 

Are you referring to the Brickell hotel or the Hyatt Coral Gables?

hello mrs bitob, last time i had a not so great time in the JW Marquis marriott in Miami 

very poor breakfast and one had to pay for beer wine and liquor in the lounge , what was also not very ok  poor canapes  and cheese nearly a sponge  regular bar was expensive 

i stayed several times in club room intercontinental   - lounge was better as JW   - ok for max 2 nights

Mandarin O is a very nice hotel but you need a taxi to do something ... 

I am on my way to catch a BA business  to Barbados to join the Splendor on next Monday 

have to write down the full name of nasa ☺️ for the trivia and hoping for a good team !!!

16 hours ago, marycruz said:

Thanks.  Can you share what you didn't like about the hotel?

The hotel had an elevator not operating, which is inconvenient given the "lobby" is on the 17th floor (if memory serves correct). The included breakfast was extremely poor and on one of the lower floors of the building. The hotel restaurant/bar was "ok", but certainly we would have expected more for a Regent supplied hotel. 

1 hour ago, Gpilon said:

The hotel had an elevator not operating, which is inconvenient given the "lobby" is on the 17th floor (if memory serves correct). The included breakfast was extremely poor and on one of the lower floors of the building. The hotel restaurant/bar was "ok", but certainly we would have expected more for a Regent supplied hotel. 

Thanks.  Hopefully they've taken care of some of these issues.  I will let you know when we come back from our cruise.

Thanks again for responding.

3 hours ago, vistaman said:

hello mrs bitob, last time i had a not so great time in the JW Marquis marriott in Miami 

very poor breakfast and one had to pay for beer wine and liquor in the lounge , what was also not very ok  poor canapes  and cheese nearly a sponge  regular bar was expensive 

i stayed several times in club room intercontinental   - lounge was better as JW   - ok for max 2 nights

Mandarin O is a very nice hotel but you need a taxi to do something ... 

I am on my way to catch a BA business  to Barbados to join the Splendor on next Monday 

have to write down the full name of nasa ☺️ for the trivia and hoping for a good team !!!

Have a ball. Hope you find great trivia team and hope we sail together again

On 2/19/2024 at 6:04 PM, marycruz said:

We usually stay at the Intercontinental on our own as well.  But this time on our Grandeur cruise there is a music festival across the street which is going to conclude at the hotel with music in the lobby from 10PM until 3AM so we're not staying there.   Regent also told us they are using the Biltmore for the Mar-Apr cruises, We are looking at the AKA Brickell if anyone has any info on this hotel.  

We loved the Biltmore.

On 2/21/2024 at 4:28 PM, OilPainter2020 said:

Fabulous choice!  Better than the Biltmore. 

Yikes! Did they notify you by email? We are scheduled for the Biltmore. I'd hate to take a taxi to the wrong hotel!!

18 minutes ago, warmwater said:

Yikes! Did they notify you by email? We are scheduled for the Biltmore. I'd hate to take a taxi to the wrong hotel!!

Not sure your question is meant for me.  I stayed there on a personal trip; not a pre-cruise trip. 

We stayed at the AKA Brickell in Jan 2023, and they were still working on it. It was kind of a mess. Also the transport to the ship was disorganized and late. We’ve sworn off Regent hotels and transport for now. We’ll take any credit and book our own, or book a lower category. We did the latter on our next two cruises. 

13 hours ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

We stayed at the AKA Brickell in Jan 2023, and they were still working on it. It was kind of a mess. Also the transport to the ship was disorganized and late. We’ve sworn off Regent hotels and transport for now. We’ll take any credit and book our own, or book a lower category. We did the latter on our next two cruises. 

Were they doing a renovation?   All the reviews on trip advisor are mostlly good.  Of course I know not to depend on reviews but I did book based on the fact that I didn't see any negatives.

9 minutes ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

Yes, an extensive one. Location was good, and it has to be better if they’ve finished the work. 

Thanks.  I sure hope so.   Do you remember if there is a CVS neaby?

2 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

We are leaving the end of March on the Grandeur and are in the Intercontinental in Miami.

We were going to stay there also but found out there is the utlra music festival which is going to be right in the hotel lobby from 10PM until 3AM and that the steet would be closed off.   I don't know when you're staying but the festival is from 22-24 March weekend.

19 hours ago, marycruz said:

We were going to stay there also but found out there is the utlra music festival which is going to be right in the hotel lobby from 10PM until 3AM and that the steet would be closed off.   I don't know when you're staying but the festival is from 22-24 March weekend.

I meant to add that the music in the lobby is on the last night of the festival.

On 2/20/2024 at 8:26 AM, bitob said:

I decided to take the hotel credit and use points to stay at my hotel of choice for free.

i am adding an extra night and the amount they ask for an extra night pp is absurd in the extreme.

549 pp

the hotel credit is 150 pp

what is wrong with this picture?

Nothing wrong...

We have done as you're doing for our last two winter Regent cruises out of PortMiami.  Staying at
Hyatt Centric Brickell for three nights costs only 69,000 points transferred from my Chase Sapphire Reserve rewards account.

Checkout is noon and a quick Lyft ride to terminal J is convenient.  Excellent restaurants within a ten minute walk is a big plus.