Zaandam Viewing Decks

ksmetamaid

We are considering booking an inside cabin on the Zaandam for an Alaska Inside Passageway cruise.  I know that's not ideal, but our Alaska trip overall (we have an extensive independent land itinerary as well) is getting expensive and the current thinking is to put more money into excursions rather than cabin.  But when I look at deck plans, I basically don't see any decks!  Surely that's not right.  Could someone who has been on the ship since the 2017 refurbishment please comment?  I did find and old discussion on this topic, but would like more recent information.  Thank you.

12 minutes ago, ksmetamaid said:

We are considering booking an inside cabin on the Zaandam for an Alaska Inside Passageway cruise.  I know that's not ideal, but our Alaska trip overall (we have an extensive independent land itinerary as well) is getting expensive and the current thinking is to put more money into excursions rather than cabin.  But when I look at deck plans, I basically don't see any decks!  Surely that's not right.  Could someone who has been on the ship since the 2017 refurbishment please comment?  I did find and old discussion on this topic, but would like more recent information.  Thank you.

We were on Zaandam last June - definitely outdoor decks - with a full wrap around promenade. Skyview pool area in back is good.

We were also inside cabin and wouldn't have booked it without ample outdoor space.

https://www.cruisemapper.com/deckplans/ms-Zaandam-572

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been on the Volendam a couple times and it's a sister of the Zaandam.

As rodndonna mentions, the lower promenade deck (deck 3) has a full wrap-around outside deck. I love the inside or ocean view rooms on that deck because it's so easy to pop outside on either side of the ship. Its a wide deck where there are often nice loungers. It's also covered in case of inclement weather.

I believe there's also a forward-facing outside deck under the bridge that's accessible to passengers.

HAL also often opens the bow up to passengers during scenic cruising.

I wouldn't hesitate to book an inside or an ocean view on the Zaandam.

Edited by cavecreekguy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Most likely the bow deck will be open for viewing but deck 3 is covered and you can walk all around and view (except the bow section is enclosed for crew area). Also above the Lido pool (Deck 9) you can get a view on each side. 

• Thanks 1

Deck 2 aft has a small outdoor area with stairs up to deck 3.  While the deck 2 aft area is just as scenic as deck 3 (and kind of a secret).  It can be pretty noisy from the wake of the ship while underway.  It's still a great spot to enjoy the scenery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are aft outside decks spanning the width of Decks 6 and 7. Access is via stairs or through the doors at the aft end of the applicable hallways.  There are also deck chairs, blankets, and a large heating vent to keep you warm.  As a hobby photographer, I spent a lot of time on those Zaandam and Volendam aft decks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

There are aft outside decks spanning the width of Decks 6 and 7. Access is via stairs or through the doors at the aft end of the applicable hallways.  There are also deck chairs, blankets, and a large heating vent to keep you warm.  As a hobby photographer, I spent a lot of time on those Zaandam and Volendam aft decks.

You also can go down the aft stairs from the aft pool to reach 7 and 6 deck aft. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ksmetamaid said:

As others have said you have plenty of viewing spaces.

Was on the Zaandam in a balcony cabin last year going around Iceland. After seeing how many observation places were around the ship we opted for an ocean view cabin for an Alaska cruise this August, rather spend the extra money on excursions.

With the easy access to outside platforms all over the ship you should be fine with an inside cabin. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/20/2024 at 8:21 AM, cavecreekguy said:

I've been on the Volendam a couple times and it's a sister of the Zaandam.

As rodndonna mentions, the lower promenade deck (deck 3) has a full wrap-around outside deck. I love the inside or ocean view rooms on that deck because it's so easy to pop outside on either side of the ship. Its a wide deck where there are often nice loungers. It's also covered in case of inclement weather.

I believe there's also a forward-facing outside deck under the bridge that's accessible to passengers.

HAL also often opens the bow up to passengers during scenic cruising.

I wouldn't hesitate to book an inside or an ocean view on the Zaandam.

I really loved this lower promenade deck inside cabin suggestion, being able to access either side of the ship easily and without stairs (I have a bit of a knee issue).  But according to the deck plan and after calling Holland America, the Noordam has no cabins at all on the Lower Promenade deck.  What would be the equivalent on this ship?  --Easy access to both sides without stairs?

28 minutes ago, ksmetamaid said:

I really loved this lower promenade deck inside cabin suggestion, being able to access either side of the ship easily and without stairs (I have a bit of a knee issue).  But according to the deck plan and after calling Holland America, the Noordam has no cabins at all on the Lower Promenade deck.  What would be the equivalent on this ship?  --Easy access to both sides without stairs?

Easy access to outside...Deck 3, Promenade deck. Same on all HAL ships.

Thanks, CruiserBruce.  I'm definitely struggling with deck plans.  I do see cabins on decks 2 and 3 on the CruiseMapper link listed above, but when I called HAL on Saturday they told me they had no cabins on Lower Promenade or Promenade decks.  When I download the deck plans from the HAL website, it doesn't show any on either deck, and when I get to "choose your own cabin" in the online booking process, it doesn't give either as an option.  What am I doing wrong?  I do plan on eventually using a travel agent, but I'm trying to better educate myself before involving them.

My fav cabins are DD oceanview, towards the aft of deck 2. 

- Large window (I really want to see outside)

- No people walking past the window like OV on deck 3

- Steps away from the aft balcony (with stairs up to the promenade)

- Within a few steps of the cabin - I can see both sides of the ship AND aft

- Easy access all the way to the Seaview pool without an elevator or main staircase!

2 hours ago, ksmetamaid said:

Noordam is a different class of ship from the Volendam and Zaandam (and departed Amsterdam and Rotterdam VI).  I think on the Noordam your best choices would be a cabin on deck 4 near the forward and midship elevators (Aft Promenade deck has no portside doors) or just below the lido deck aft or midship.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh good grief.  No wonder I've got people confused.  We actually changed from looking at the Zaandam Inside Passageway cruise to the Noordam Glacier Discover Cruise.  Thanks, rafinmd, for your response, which called that to my attention.

• Haha 1