SOLO TRAVELERS BEWARE

Let me begin by saying that I am a fan of Regent and that I have over 100 nights with them and I will book additional trips in the future. On board Regent offers Solo travels nightly meet ups and group dinners that are hosted. Regent also offers solo travelers select cruises with zero or low supplements. BUT I feel it's necessary to bring to the attention of other solo travelers how we are treated when booking. 

In my opinion Regent misrepresents deals. I just cancelled 3 cruises that I had booked back-to-back-to-back on the Voyager because I was told that I would get the lowest price guaranteed in writing. Upon returning home the three cruises were all on sale with additional discounts and on-board credits which I was told I was not entitled to receive. My cancellations cost me $1,500. 

There are more and more solo travelers than ever and we as a group should receive all that couples receive. Remember a two for 1 deal is a 50% discount per person and they get the upgrades and other offers which solo travelers don't.

Hopefully Regent representatives will read this and changes will be made going forward. One suggestion I have is that Regent should contact Solo travelers directly and offer us deals on last-minute unsold cabins as my recent back-to-back cruises were only 80% of capacity. 

When the Explorer was first being designed and promoted, Regent made a very big deal of announcing that the H class of cabins were being added and would be marketed to solo travelers. At the time, within the travel industry it made big news and was discussed as being something new and beneficial to the cruising community. However, before the first cabin was sold, Regent changed their tune and did away with cabins for solo cruisers and made it a normal (although smaller) double cabin.

Personally, I think this a huge mistake on the part of Regent and the other cruise lines who are not carefully looking at the upcoming demographic projections. Unlike other cruise lines which rely on sales once the passenger is on board, with Regent the majority of cost is paid upfront so there is no lost revenue. Last month Celebrity cruises made news and not in a good way when it was found that they started charging single passengers significantly more than double the fare, with the reasoning they are losing out on the additional revenue lost from on board expenditures.

I have so many friends with the means to travel on Regent but do not do so because in most cases the cost differential is substantial, even with the specials offered. Some of the other luxury cruise lines offer much better promotions for solo travelers. Regent is losing out to a segment of the population who have the time and money to spend on travel. A number of friends and myself are celebrating a milestone birthday this year and want to travel as a group. We initially looked at taking a Regent cruise but that was quickly dismissed when we learned the cost of solo rooms. Instead, we are taking a cruise on another luxury line.

There are a significant number of baby boomers who have the money to spend, but are not going to be foolish and fall trap to paying significantly more just because they do not have partner. One of these days one of the luxury cruise companies may realize the untapped potential and design their new ships with more than a token number of cabins designed and marketed just for solo travelers. When I meet new people and our discussion turns to travel, very often the question most often asked - "do they charge double for single travelers"?

I know that right now Regent is trying to attract a new demographic, i.e. younger passengers. Some of their new advertising campaigns are interesting because by looking at them one would think the entire ship consists of passengers 50 years and younger. Maybe they should be gearing their efforts to those who WANT to travel on Regent, but do not do so because they are unwilling to pay a penalty because they do not have a partner.

• Like 4

Last April, we had my brother, and our best friend (a woman), take a 2 week Caribbean cruise on Regent with us. It was the first Regent cruise for both of them, but they have both cruised on other cruise lines in the past. They both enjoyed the cruise, but each of them having to pay as much for their cabin as we did as a couple didn't sit well with them.

We tried to convince each of them to join us on our April cruise from Bangkok to Abu Dhabit, which had a 0 percent single suppplement last month, but went to 25 percent this month. But neither of them wanted to fly that far, even if it was business class.

• Like 2

In the US, it has been recently reported that over 30% of households are single people…Not singles with children. Yes, as a solo cruiser I got a great Black Friday deal, 0% upcharge, but did have to pay the all included price , will pay extra for the  airfare unless I can find cheaper on my own. it was 30% cheaper than a similar Celebrity cruise, that had no benefits!  Prices in 2024 are significantly more $. 

@NYC-Londonlike the idea of last minute deals for unsold cabins…which will be desirable once I retire😊

• Like 2

I would also love to see more emphasis on single travelers on cruises.  I’m married but I often travel as a single on cruises.  

The problem I’ve found with the dedicated single cabins on other lines (Cunard, Celebrity, NCL), is that the line jacks up the price so much that it’s more than paying 200% in a double cabin, so no deal at all.  

Celebrity has taken it even a step farther.  Not only do you pay 200% as a single in a double cabin, but an additional surcharge of around 20%. Why?  Because of the lost onboard revenue from that second person in the cabin.  I certainly hope other lines don’t adopt this practice.  

• Like 1

The problem with Regent promotions is that they are normally not combinable.  This means that you can’t combine a “zero single supplement” offer, with another sale offer that Regent has. We found this out when a friend wanted to join us on a Regent cruise. When we got the price quote for her, it was much much higher than double occupancy price. It took over an hour on a three-way conference call between me, my TA and Regent.  Regent couldn’t understand,  and i repeatedly asked: why is the zero single price not the same as the double price? Finally after going in circles,  I asked if the offers were combinable and Regent rep woke up and said a flat No.  So it was a zero single supplement on a full priced cruise, not the discounted sale rate.  Our friend did not book that cruise as a result,  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Sunprince said:

The problem with Regent promotions is that they are normally not combinable.  This means that you can’t combine a “zero single supplement” offer, with another sale offer that Regent has. We found this out when a friend wanted to join us on a Regent cruise. When we got the price quote for her, it was much much higher than double occupancy price. It took over an hour on a three-way conference call between me, my TA and Regent.  Regent couldn’t understand,  and i repeatedly asked: why is the zero single price not the same as the double price? Finally after going in circles,  I asked if the offers were combinable and Regent rep woke up and said a flat No.  So it was a zero single supplement on a full priced cruise, not the discounted sale rate.  Our friend did not book that cruise as a result,  

You are correct; often (always?) single supplement specials are not combinable with sale prices. I returned home yesterday from my second Regent cruise. They included a sale flier in one of the Passages with a long list of itineraries with 0% single supplement. All were sailing this year. I’m already booked up this year so I am not able to take advantage…….

As this thread is addressed to solo travelers, I must mention that Regent does a great job taking care of their solo pax.  And what an interesting group of people. I pay a premium price to sail on Regent bc I meet such incredible people onboard!
Oceania pax are not too shabby either!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, eroller said:

Celebrity has taken it even a step farther.  Not only do you pay 200% as a single in a double cabin, but an additional surcharge of around 20%. Why?  Because of the lost onboard revenue from that second person in the cabin.  I certainly hope other lines don’t adopt this practice.  

With those "other" cruise lines....have you considered adding the name of a 2nd cabin occupant who will simply be a no-show at check-in?  That would avoid the ridiculous surcharge AND the taxes for that absent person would be refunded. 

18 minutes ago, Kwaj girl said:

With those "other" cruise lines....have you considered adding the name of a 2nd cabin occupant who will simply be a no-show at check-in?  That would avoid the ridiculous surcharge AND the taxes for that absent person would be refunded. 

Absolutely.  Of course let’s see how quickly the cruise lines develop a work-around to eliminate this practice.  

@PhD-ivaSo happy that you had a good solo experience on Voyager. I know the cruise had other challenges! Would love to get that list of solo specials emailed by RSSC on a regular basis. It sounds like you were shown some new ones! I have been checking lately and very few are at the 0% upcharge.

Concerned they would not be as attentive to solo travelers, but will be on a very port intensive, excursion intensive cruise Istanbul to Rome in early Nov. 2024. 

2 hours ago, CardowMD said:

@PhD-ivaSo happy that you had a good solo experience on Voyager. I know the cruise had other challenges! Would love to get that list of solo specials emailed by RSSC on a regular basis. It sounds like you were shown some new ones! I have been checking lately and very few are at the 0% upcharge.

Concerned they would not be as attentive to solo travelers, but will be on a very port intensive, excursion intensive cruise Istanbul to Rome in early Nov. 2024. 

I am so sorry that I did not keep the marketing materials with the list of reduced solo supplement cruises sailing in 2024. You probably could go to the rollcall for the current itinerary and post a request for someone to post the marketing material that gets distributed.
I’m sorry I can’t be more help. 

• Like 1

In my opinion Regent does a great job taking care of solo travelers. I've met very nice people and there is no pressure to join in for dinner or cocktails. 

Cocktails were at 6:45 and dinner usually began at 7:15. Depending on the size of the group, usually 8 - 10 nightly with folks coming and going so the group was always different. Members of the entertainment department would also join along with guest performers, which made for interesting conversation. 

On 2/21/2024 at 2:15 PM, Kwaj girl said:

People are already doing that .

in my experience, Regent does not charge more than 200% single supplement like some other cruiselines do, So this is not needed. You might have to pay double for the state room if there is no reduction in the single supplement. But you will at least receive a credit for the second airfare not being used. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, PhD-iva said:

in my experience, Regent does not charge more than 200% single supplement like some other cruiselines do, So this is not needed. You might have to pay double for the state room if there is no reduction in the single supplement. But you will at least receive a credit for the second airfare not being used. 

And you will get twice the nights credited to your RSS account.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

And you will get twice the nights credited to your RSS account.

Only if you pay 200%. If you get a special offer reduced fare (25% supplement), you will only receive days sailed-not double.

• Like 1