Apex cruising Speed

Harrisonkid

The Apex handled some rough seas on our Northern transatlantic very well last year. The captain was very pleased and we never met any passengers who had motion issues despite seas that kept the open decks closed much of the time.  So any stabilizer issues would be new this year.  I think it was the Beyond that has many cabin noise complaints. It seems to be a resolving issue now for the Ascent…

• Like 1

Is there any dry dock time in her schedule where this type of possible issue could be addressd?

We are booked Jan 2025 in the Carib..Will be many cruises before that..so hope things are looked at & resolved..

18 minutes ago, hcat said:

Is there any dry dock time in her schedule where this type of possible issue could be addressd?

We are booked Jan 2025 in the Carib..Will be many cruises before that..so hope things are looked at & resolved..

She is due for dry dock in March/April 25. Unless there is a severe maintenance  or safety issue, then this will not be moved forward. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MMMCruiser said:

I really hope you're wrong because having a less stable ship in the North Sea is not a good idea.  Not doubting your experience at all here, just hoping for the best.

Hope I am wrong too!

Like I said I'm not an engineer and it could be several things but until Celebrity is transparent we only can speculate. The Feb 10th sailing swayed the entire trip, I remarked that while hitting San Juan it should have calmed down by now, our travel friends were very sick. 

Patty 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lena11033 said:

Its a little bit worrying I have two cruises with Apex this year, although one of them I haven't received a email for modified itinerary yet

Definitely not all itineraries will be effected - will depend upon distance between ports and how long it takes to get where Apex needs to go......

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Is Apex the ship with the noisy cabins?  Perhaps they are slowing it down to minimize the noise?

The complaints have been for Ascent, and lots of them.  But they are resolving, cabin by cabin, as the passengers report the banging issues.  I can only speculate that perhaps it's an issue with Edge Class ships out of the gate - the sounds/noises/banging??  I have no idea, but as the ships get a bit older the complaints are minimal.  In any case to answer you directly, it's been Ascent that has had the recent complaints (thus my theory, since Ascent is the newest ship!😇)

3 hours ago, cw2go said:

Hope I am wrong too!

Like I said I'm not an engineer and it could be several things but until Celebrity is transparent we only can speculate. The Feb 10th sailing swayed the entire trip, I remarked that while hitting San Juan it should have calmed down by now, our travel friends were very sick. 

Patty 

As someone who gets pretty seasick when the ship rolls (even when wearing the patch) I'm kind of freaking out right now.  Hoping for the best but I don't have much trust in Celebrity since they keep changing things (like the butlers) since I booked my first cruise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, MMMCruiser said:

As someone who gets pretty seasick when the ship rolls (even when wearing the patch) I'm kind of freaking out right now.  Hoping for the best but I don't have much trust in Celebrity since they keep changing things (like the butlers) since I booked my first cruise.

I am sorry, I am not trying to freak anyone out. I told my hubby this morning people are very fearful of sea sickness and if this is a stabilizer issue, cruisers need to know but we all know Celebrity does not want to release this type of information. I honestly hope I am wrong! My hubby is retired Navy, he was the one to notice the speed increasing and decreasing with more than normal vibrations. 

I am sure that in time the reasons for all the changes will leak, 

Patty 

• Like 3

I really appreciate the heads-up.  I'm not sure what I can really do now that an entire trip has been planned around this cruise plus we are meeting up with friends in London for this one.  If it was a simple Caribbean cruise I could easily just rebook it.  Ugh.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jumping Cruiser said:

She is due for dry dock in March/April 25. Unless there is a severe maintenance  or safety issue, then this will not be moved forward. 

If it is a stabilizer issue, I can't imagine that Celebrity would carry on with a less than optimal sailing experience for passengers for over a year, but I guess time will tell...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, BytownMatt said:

If it is a stabilizer issue, I can't imagine that Celebrity would carry on with a less than optimal sailing experience for passengers for over a year, but I guess time will tell...

what is the fix?

I think Celebrity need to be open and honest with their customers. I'll give it a while and depending on outcome and feedback, may decide to pull the plug on this one before final payment. My wife suffers from vertigo and is not the best of sailors in poor conditions and a stabiliser issue would not be ideal.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hcat said:

what is the fix?

Presumably earlier (unscheduled) drydock time to resolve whatever the issue is, but this is obviously speculation based on the posts in this topic and the absence of information from Celebrity.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, hcat said:

what is the fix?

For stabilizers either mechanical which is unlikely as hardware and sensors or software  which adjusts the stabilizers to keep things in trim in conjunction with engine thrust.

Software is not my area of expertise but should be able to be solved in a simulation.

57 minutes ago, MMMCruiser said:

One would hope they would fix it before taking it across the Atlantic...  but the port time changes say otherwise.

You might think that the May 2-15 Transatlantic would be the one to cancel, to have time to get any problem fixed before the summer sailings out of Southampton. But since any (likely) drydock repair would be somewhere in Europe anyway (Spain, Germany, Italy), they might as well try to make the scheduled run, with paying passengers, and cancel some of the early Southampton sailings, if necessary.

I’m on that Transatlantic, but I’m not too worried about the stabilizers. The Atlantic isn’t in storm season in early May, so the initial 6 1/2 day run from Florida to the Azores should be fine. Now that 2-day run north from the Azores to Ireland could get rougher, who knows. Plus, I’ve already been through a major storm in Alaska, with no ill effects. (But I’m bringing  extra pills and ginger chews anyway).

• Like 2

Good luck.   I am sure that if they responded the reason would hit the news and they would sell less cruises on the ship.

The only reason anyone knows about it now is CruiseCritic...

Edited by NMTraveller

She is currently sailing at top speed to PR with expected arrival on schedule. I would think if there was something wrong the speed would be modulated? Anyway, hope we hear from someone on board. Our departure is in one month.

22 minutes ago, Folsomdoc said:

She is currently sailing at top speed to PR with expected arrival on schedule. I would think if there was something wrong the speed would be modulated? Anyway, hope we hear from someone on board. Our departure is in one month.

Are they sailing in flat water without the stabilizer?

• Like 1