Apex cruising Speed

Harrisonkid

I got the changes for June/July Iceland and Norway.  They cut one stop by 3 hrs (departing early) and the next day is just cruising?   The OP's post is for a November cruise, I don't think that's Norway.

• Like 1

Guest Cable3232

At least you go to all your stops; they changed one of our stops from the Fjords stops for Zeeburge.

59 minutes ago, peterde said:

I don't see much there that would impact 2024 sailings but who knows?

2 hours ago, Harrisonkid said:

Just got an email (November sailing) that some port times have changed due to Apex sailing speeds...anyone know what's up or why the changes ?

Don’t know, but they do have a lot of sustainability initiatives going on, including reducing emissions.  Maybe they’re trying to sail at more energy efficient speeds.

Same thing for May 2-15 Transatlantic. It is leaving an hour earlier from Bruges to Southampton.

Must be some regulatory issue, rather than engine, or else the entire trip across the Atlantic would be affected.

1 hour ago, ospreycruiser said:

Also received a similar email with adjusted port times for Apex September 7 Iceland and Scotland. Wondering if it is an engine issue.

I think it must be as only Apex appears to be affected so far and Celebrity seem secretive on the reason for the need for speed reduction.

• Like 2

I just sailed Apex Feb 10th and it was a very rocky ship with relatively calm seas. I am not an engineer but after reading the above article, I speculate it's a stabilizer software issue? I noticed and mentioned several times throughout the sailing how much more the ship was swaying compared to our recent experience on The Beyond in rougher seas. We even noticed the ship would speed up and slow down randomly, the crew even mentioned how much more movement they were feeling compared to normal. So maybe they're attempting to slow Apex down enough to keep her sailing till dry dock March 2025

Just a wild a** guess! 

Patty 

• Thanks 1

I think there is some problem with the APEX, if they were speed restrictions, why hasn't the Silhouette modified its itineraries? Yes, the Fjords and the Baltic are very similar in both ships.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cw2go said:

I just sailed Apex Feb 10th and it was a very rocky ship with relatively calm seas. I am not an engineer but after reading the above article, I speculate it's a stabilizer software issue? I noticed and mentioned several times throughout the sailing how much more the ship was swaying compared to our recent experience on The Beyond in rougher seas. We even noticed the ship would speed up and slow down randomly, the crew even mentioned how much more movement they were feeling compared to normal. So maybe they're attempting to slow Apex down enough to keep her sailing till dry dock March 2025

Just a wild a** guess! 

Patty 

I really hope you're wrong because having a less stable ship in the North Sea is not a good idea.  Not doubting your experience at all here, just hoping for the best.

• Like 2