Wandering on Wonder Week 2/25/24

1 minute ago, island lady said:

Agree.  So many parents I see on cruise ships...are not really being parents.  They just let their "darling children" run wild and ignore them.  Real shame.  And then they don't learn how to be responsible parents when they get older.  😞  

They also drag their kids around the ship late into the night for some reason not understanding that kids need more sleep than adults do.   We were talking to CD Bobby on EN last year near spring break and he and the crew absolutely dread when there are a lot of kids onboard.  700 on EN last time we were on during SB.  He said so many come onboard, and let their kids do whatever they want.  The crew is afraid to say anything because these same parents are the ones that go ballistic if anyone says anything to them or their kids about the behavior.  Anyway, on Wonder in Jan, we saw mostly really good behavior.  But, there's always a few.  And, we saw quite a few very small kids falling asleep on their parents or overly tired. Just take them back to the cabin and put them in bed. Geez.  You have to sacrifice some things when you have children.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BND said:

They also drag their kids around the ship late into the night for some reason not understanding that kids need more sleep than adults do.   We were talking to CD Bobby on EN last year near spring break and he and the crew absolutely dread when there are a lot of kids onboard.  700 on EN last time we were on during SB.  He said so many come onboard, and let their kids do whatever they want.  The crew is afraid to say anything because these same parents are the ones that go ballistic if anyone says anything to them or their kids about the behavior.  Anyway, on Wonder in Jan, we saw mostly really good behavior.  But, there's always a few.  And, we saw quite a few very small kids falling asleep on their parents or overly tired. Just take them back to the cabin and put them in bed. Geez.  You have to sacrifice some things when you have children.  

Well said...and iMHO...it gets worse with each generation.  

• Like 6

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Agree.  So many parents I see on cruise ships...are not really being parents.  They just let their "darling children" run wild and ignore them.  Real shame.  And then they don't learn how to be responsible parents when they get older.  😞  

Those "parents" think everyone else finds their darling children to be as cute as they do.🙄

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

Those "parents" think everyone else finds their darling children to be as cute as they do.🙄

I don't think those "parents" see their children as anything more than an annual tax deduction.🙄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, BND said:

The crew is afraid to say anything because these same parents are the ones that go ballistic if anyone says anything to them or their kids about the behavior. 

The late great W.C. Fields wouldn't put up with that crap. 😁

• Haha 3

On 2/29/2024 at 12:22 PM, BND said:

Someone who is currently on Spectrum posted on FB that it's already showing on Spectrum's schedule on the app and is on the RCblog (I know it's not an official blog but they do report correct info all the time). She posted a screen shot of the dining times on the app and it shows 3.  And, yes, I know Spectrum is in Asia currently.  We're on Vision in 35 days and there are no dining times listed in the app.  

I was on Spectrum last week. We had booked all our MTD slots in the planner months ago to fit in with port excursions.   On board we were told we had a specific table at 6.45 each night . The time and table number was printed on our sea pass. The evenings we didn't make their time we were given another table with little or no wait .

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 6:51 AM, island lady said:

We as well.  Was here last in November.  Quite a bit of progress...but still a large project to undertake.  Seems around 60-70 "worker bees" each time we have been here.  

Interesting walk in shallow end of the long pool with little tables in the water and a water logged bar area (not swim up...but still feet in the water).  To the far side, a set of covered areas that may be more bars and or cafes.    And of course more shopping plazas.  😉 

I’m not sure how we have managed to miss stopping in Routan for as many years as we’ve been cruising. We will be making our first stop there on our Wonder cruise in September. It will be the first new port for us in a while.

How long does it take to enjoy the aviary in Costa Maya? I haven’t made any plans for there because it is an early, short day. The birds are beautiful, so I’m thinking it would be a good place to spend a little bit of time on shore. Besides, it would be interesting to see how my old, surgically repaired legs handle the rope bridge! 😂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, perfect match said:

I’m not sure how we have managed to miss stopping in Routan for as many years as we’ve been cruising. We will be making our first stop there on our Wonder cruise in September. It will be the first new port for us in a while.

Same for us in June (and July) on Wonder. We were supposed to go there in 2019 but high winds prevented Harmony from docking. 😭 And we actually were there last June with extended family but they don't really get off the ship and were treating us to Sky Class (which is the only time we'd have it) so my wife decided she didn't want to ditch them knowing we'd be going back this year. 🤣

• Like 1

7 hours ago, perfect match said:

How long does it take to enjoy the aviary in Costa Maya? I haven’t made any plans for there because it is an early, short day. The birds are beautiful, so I’m thinking it would be a good place to spend a little bit of time on shore. Besides, it would be interesting to see how my old, surgically repaired legs handle the rope bridge! 😂

Seeing the birds at the Aviary exhibit is how we spend those short days there.   With Wonder needing the rest of the afternoon, that night, the next day, and all the next night to get back to PC...it's always a short day there.  

Length of visit depends on how long you linger in the various enclosures.  We tend to spend a lot of time in them, and I take a lot of pictures.  Plan on an average of at least an hour.  I am not a fan of the swinging rope bridges...freaks me out...but I just try to time it when I am the only one on each of them.  The longest one for me is the one over the Dolphin enclosure.  But it has a couple of "rest spots" on that one.  The best one is the 2nd one with great viewing of the Dolphin shows.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Disembarkation was very simple yesterday.   Was home, unpacked, and a first load of laundry in by 9 am.  🙂 

Though we still adore Wonder, we are not really a fan of the large ships any longer..... and the Carib is becoming too mundane for us.  Way too many uncontrolled children this last week as well.  But we loved CK, some of the shows (especially the ice show) and the quiet of our cabin to return to.  

We have one more large ship to visit, Allure in May....only because it is another local home port ship (about to leave us) and we have never been on board that ship.  Plus I really want to see Mamma Mia at least once.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 10

On 3/4/2024 at 9:39 AM, island lady said:

Seeing the birds at the Aviary exhibit is how we spend those short days there.

Did not know there was an aviary there. Is it new? And, can you get to it without doing the bridge?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Did not know there was an aviary there. Is it new? And, can you get to it without doing the bridge?

No not new.   Been there for awhile.  Head towards the Dolphin pens, and find the Flamingos (they are usually quite vocal).   Just behind them is the steps up to the check in.  14.00 per adult.  Don't need to prepay or reserve, and don't let the "tour guides" try to book you.  Pay direct when you get there. 

The bird enclosures are only accessible from the rope bridges.  It's freaky...but you get used to it.  Just try to wait until you are the only one on them, and hold onto the stainless steel "rope" handles.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 3/4/2024 at 9:43 AM, island lady said:

Disembarkation was very simple yesterday.   Was home, unpacked, and a first load of laundry in by 9 am.  🙂 

Though we still adore Wonder, we are not really a fan of the large ships any longer..... and the Carib is becoming too mundane for us.  Way too many uncontrolled children this last week as well.  But we loved CK, some of the shows (especially the ice show) and the quiet of our cabin to return to.  

We have one more large ship to visit, Allure in May....only because it is another local home port ship (about to leave us) and we have never been on board that ship.  Plus I really want to see Mamma Mia at least once.  

Seeing Mama Mia makes the trip on the Allure mandatory. They do a great job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Dolby1000 said:

Seeing Mama Mia makes the trip on the Allure mandatory. They do a great job.

Thanks!  Looking forward to it.  My only fear is it being cancelled for some reason.  😮 

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Thanks!  Looking forward to it.  My only fear is it being cancelled for some reason.  😮 

It probably will only be scheduled once on their short cruises, but it is well worth adjusting your schedule so you can see it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

It probably will only be scheduled once on their short cruises, but it is well worth adjusting your schedule so you can see it.

On our 4 days cruise, as I remember, there was an 8PM evening show and a mid-late afternoon show to try and accommodate both dinner seatings.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, orville99 said:

Thanks!  As l long as they are doing the show, we will do our best to be there.   Some ships have had cancellations for various reasons.  Mechanical, cast member sick, injury...etc.  Just crossing our fingers we finally get to see it.  🙂 

• Like 3