Is there a primer for first time Oceania guests?

kstrittm

16 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

@kstrittm I kind of know how you feel about wanting some information.  Also, I loved when I did my first Crystal Cruise, one of the best and most loyal Crystal Clients did a great topic for new Crystal Guest.  I always remember how helpful it was.  

I did this FAQ document and never posted it.  I will give you a copy below and hope it will assist in some way.  Remember, I am not perfect but if others say something I go wrong or not complete they will let us know.  Also, @MEFIowa makes a very valid point that your stateroom can make a difference.  Never to hesitate to ask any question.  This is a safe environment. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment.

Oceania_Cruises_FAQ.pdf 378.47 kB · 1 download

Thanks so much - very helpful info...

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

The more information you provide--ship, cabin, date, location--the better the response. Ship and cabin are critical!

I've got 30 nights on Riviera since 12/2021 and 10 nights on Sirena 11/2022 with 22 more nights on Sirena coming up in late August. But NONE of this was or will be in a PH or higher. I'll have experience in F, C, B, and A cabins. Thus, for example, I met Southern Gary on Riviera back in November but much of what he wrote, his experiences in a Suite, have any applicability to my cabins.

And trust me, there are huge differences in cabins on the same ship and even more importantly across ships.

So many unique features, too. Compare the 2 specialty restaurants on 3 of the smaller Rs to Sirena, which is the only one to have Red Ginger on her. Or the unique large therapy pool on Riviera not shared on Marina. Etc.

I'll be sailing on Marina in a PH cabin; June, 2024 from Lisbon to Amsterdam.  I find myself in the black hole - I booked prior to SImply More, so I have no beverage package.  I used the credits towards excursions.  So I guess I'll need to purchase any/all alcohol.  

7 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

See tag and link in post #18 above.

Sorry. No offense to anyone but a long series of long posts...well, I tend to not read them all.

8 minutes ago, kstrittm said:

I'll be sailing on Marina in a PH cabin; June, 2024 from Lisbon to Amsterdam.  I find myself in the black hole - I booked prior to SImply More, so I have no beverage package.  I used the credits towards excursions.  So I guess I'll need to purchase any/all alcohol.  

No need for a drinks package. I've brought all my own alcohol on board at embarkation and at ports. Spent mere $85.00 or so to drink my own beer, hard liquor and wine on board. Including bringing home 3 bottles (Cretan Tsikoudia, Etna red fire water, and Turkish Raki). Could buy 3 bottles of mix & match Italian red or white in wine store for E5.00 and found a E1.49 bottle of Italian red for E1.49. Bought lots of inexpensive Montenegrin beer at E0.69 for 500 ml cans!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kstrittm said:

@kstrittm My most recent Oceania Cruise was on the Marina's sister ship the Riviera.  I also did not have the SM program.  I was in a Vista Suite and my friends joining us were in a Penthouse (PH2).  You opened up the can of worms with the reference to adult beverages.  Get ready, lots of opinions and all right from the posters perspective.  Take everything with a grain of salt even my comments on the topic below. 

My wife and I both got the Prestige Unlimited drink package.  It was $60.00 a day per person and $600.00 per week.  My guests got one Prestige package and the other had no adult drink package because he did not drink. I loved this package but also know you never really get your money's worth and I never drink extra to get a value.  I like just not getting the bill at the end of the cruise and know I am over spending.  My choice and not everyone feels the same.  

I loved the mini-fridge was stocked with non-alcoholic drinks all of which was complementary.  I also loved the barista coffee bar which is excellent and complementary.  In the front of the ship is a small, quiet sundeck with thermal spa which is complementary to Concierge Level and above. You have a nice but under utilized executive lounge when in a Penthouse.  

I hope I was helpful.  I know you will get a lot of information.

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

29 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

No need for a drinks package. I've brought all my own alcohol on board at embarkation and at ports. Spent mere $85.00 or so to drink my own beer, hard liquor and wine on board. Including bringing home 3 bottles (Cretan Tsikoudia, Etna red fire water, and Turkish Raki). Could buy 3 bottles of mix & match Italian red or white in wine store for E5.00 and found a E1.49 bottle of Italian red for E1.49. Bought lots of inexpensive Montenegrin beer at E0.69 for 500 ml cans!

But in your stateroom, right?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, kstrittm said:

Hello, all -

I am a seasoned cruiser (30+ on Princess, Carnival, and NCL), but I'm trying Oceania this summer for the first time.  I'm curious to know if there is any sort of introductory document that gives the "do's and don'ts" for first timers.  For instance, is dining in the main dining room at fixed times or do I need reservations or is it first-come first-served?  How do I check my folio while traveling?  What special privileges does a PH suite come with? Is there an online app to check the daily activities, menus, open hours for various shops, bars, etc.?  Does Oceania use hotel-like key cards or are they automated?  Is there a charge for room service? You all get the gist.  I thank you very much in advance....

These are great questions.  This too is my first Oceania cruise 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

But in your stateroom, right?

Of course! I enjoy some alcohol at night on the veranda before bed. In bed by 10-11 pm. I'm not into day drinking. Makes me tired. And I cruise for excursions. So we're up and off the ship as early as we can be for the new day.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Of course! I enjoy some alcohol at night on the veranda before bed. In bed by 10-11 pm. I'm not into day drinking. Makes me tired. And I cruise for excursions. So we're up and off the ship as early as we can be for the new day.

Understood...we aren't day drinkers either.  My concern is that without the "only in the stateroom" caveat, the first-timers looking for information may assume your comment implies otherwise.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, babysteps said:

Alcohol policy thread 2023/2024 including good stuff from @Flatbush Flyer and others

Included Drinks thread 2024 (a related topic)

Basics: O is passenger and drinker friendly.

+SM fares (and old O-Life if you choose the beverage package) include wine-by-the-glass and beer-by-the-glass with meals (including room service) when bars are open. Includes sparkling-by-the-glass, often a port-by-the-glass, and non-alcoholic-wine/beer-by-the-glass - well, definitely the beer, not sure if  0%wine is always available?

+You can pay $30pp pd more to include anytime by-the-glass and anytime spirits and cocktails (no change to level of included wines/beers). Some highest-end spirits and single-venue choices (for example, sake in Red Ginger) are excluded, there is no $-based rule (sake may be less expensive than some included spirits for example)

+You can bring on alcohol (wine, beer, spirits) for your own consumption, no effective limit. Paying a $25 corkage fee for a bottle of wine in a restaurant is the ONLY allowable way to drink your own alcohol outside your cabin. You can order empty glasses from/with room service!

+Paid beverage packages get you discount on by-the-bottle purchases and some wine events

+Whatever isn't consumed from a full bottle )from O's wine list or passenger-corkage-paid bottle) can be labelled, stored, and retrieved for future enjoyment. So you could have some white and some red at one meal, and have them retrieve it for your next dinner. Or brought to your room. Or even poolside (although that might take a while to deliver...). Avoid requesting around 4pm, beverage staff shift changes and you might wait quite a while

My opinion/experience-wine geeks love O but also bring some of their own wine. FYI it's not a party-hardy environment

Added detail in this quote of my old post to clarify old O-Life beverage package and add the bottle-follows-you detail.

Edited by babysteps