Transoceanic and baggage

Have an upcoming cruise - Rome to Miami.  Will be flying business class to Rome.  Currently listed as flying economy from Miami to home.  As baggage restrictions stand - there is a distinct difference in allowable weight.  Wondering if there i any consideration towards bag weight in this situation. Perhaps I should book my own flight home using points to upgrade.

Totally depends on the airline and if you have frequent flyer status in that airline. Business class generally 70 lbs but could be 50. Domestic coach generally 50lbs and not free.

On 3/2/2024 at 7:20 AM, carolina cruisin said:

Have an upcoming cruise - Rome to Miami.  Will be flying business class to Rome.  Currently listed as flying economy from Miami to home.  As baggage restrictions stand - there is a distinct difference in allowable weight.  Wondering if there i any consideration towards bag weight in this situation. Perhaps I should book my own flight home using points to upgrade.

If connecting to a domestic flight from an international flight (with the same airline), baggage allowance is usually carried through when the domestic leg is in economy.  Have a read of the terms and/or ask the airline.

Tks for response.  Scenario is that I will be flying to Rome but coming to Miami on the ship - then flying home.  Think we have come up with a solution, but - will definitely check for details.  

16 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

I would do that if you can. I assume you'd get a small credit for opting out of the air one way. 

You will get 1/2 of the air credit if you do your own flights one way. Always do this when I have one domestic (Miami) and one intercontinental (Barcelona). Works like a charm.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 2012_Alaska_bound said:

You will get 1/2 of the air credit if you do your own flights one way. Always do this when I have one domestic (Miami) and one intercontinental (Barcelona). Works like a charm.

I would double check on that credit with TA or Regent.  Our current booking is Dallas to Tokyo and then Vancouver to Dallas.  We took a credit for Vancouver to Dallas and it was much smaller than half the total allowance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mj_holiday said:

I would double check on that credit with TA or Regent.  Our current booking is Dallas to Tokyo and then Vancouver to Dallas.  We took a credit for Vancouver to Dallas and it was much smaller than half the total allowance.

You are correct. I believe they no longer give half credit where one segment is significantly more expensive than the other.

• Like 1

We were on the Rome to Miami Splendor Cruise in Nov 2023.  A couple of 

"words to the wise" about the port of Miami and Miami airport.  First, our flight from Miami to

to Los Angeles  departed at 11:40 .  Before booking the flight we contacted Regent to confirm this would be a doable scheduling.  We were told that the airport and port were very close, we would dock at 7am and disembark at 7:30 AM.   We also checked at reception onboard and were told, "No problem". We were ready to disembark at 7:30 but were not permitted to do so.  At 8:10 the Cruise Director arrived to announce the dock workers were refusing to handle any luggage until every piece pf luggage was unloaded.  Not just our color tag luggage, but EVERY color tag .  The CD said he was told the best hope for completion of the task would be  8:30.  8:30 turned into 9, 9 to 9:30. 9:30 to finally departing the ship at 10:15,   we were immediately confronted by a long Taxi line.  By this time I was a mess.  We got to the airport and had 45 minutes to catch the flight.  The next part was actually worse than the disembarkation.  Be warned that the Miami airport is HUGE.  From security to our gate left us with only 2 minutes to spare .  I have heard from several friends that the labor situation in Miami does not favor the traveler.  Embarkation delays are  frequent and more the rule than not.  Maybe pack some roller skates to transverse the Airport!! Or, to be on the save side, book the 4:00PM  American flight to LAX instead of the 11:40!  After a really fabulous cruise, the disembarkation was a real buzz kill!

• Like 1

Amen to that.
The Miami airport, in our experience, is a disaster. I have over 2 million air miles and our return from an Explorer Panama Canal cruise from Miami was as bad as anything I have seen. (Might have been the same AA flight schedule). 
Jams of people everywhere. If not for an alert AA employee that could see we were struggling, we would never have made our flight. 
Allow lots of time in the Miami airport, then add some. 

• Like 2

Miami Airport is definitely not a flyer friendly place.  Have to walk 20 minutes from gate to luggage carosoul and still wait 20 minutes.  Arrive on an international flight walk 10 minutes to US Customs then another 5 minutes to wait on a line to recheck baggage. 

My experience in Miami was also awful (after a TA on Oceania). The only thing in my favor was my scheduled flight was later in the afternoon. Allow time!