A Tipping Question

Darfan

My in-laws are taking entire extended family on a European cruise. All of us are leaving the ship 5 days early (attending wedding). In-laws paid for cruise only and aren't purchasing any packages for us, and since we're not drinkers, that's fine. We have no need for internet service. We'll pay for tea and daily tips and occasional drink. (The one fancy restaurant celebration dinner will be paid by in-laws). My question is do we tip for the last 5 days when we aren't on the ship anymore?

31 minutes ago, Darfan said:

My in-laws are taking entire extended family on a European cruise. All of us are leaving the ship 5 days early (attending wedding). In-laws paid for cruise only and aren't purchasing any packages for us, and since we're not drinkers, that's fine. We have no need for internet service. We'll pay for tea and daily tips and occasional drink. (The one fancy restaurant celebration dinner will be paid by in-laws). My question is do we tip for the last 5 days when we aren't on the ship anymore?

Entirely up to you.  Or, you can go to GS and have them remove the last 5 days, since you’re off the ship.  

• Like 1

Guest Snaxmuppet

If it were me I would still pay the daily charge for the days on board but ask at Guest Services to remove the last 5 days. I see no need to pay the Crew Appreciation if I am not on the ship appreciating the crew!

However, it is entirely up to you.

Guest Snaxmuppet
23 minutes ago, memoak said:

Be sure and get permission from Princess to leave the cruise early. It is not always possible at every port

Best to get permission well in advance too.

What a nice gift from your in laws!  
Without any packages, you are charged daily for the crew appreciation on your folio.  So, while you won’t receive any discount on your fare for leaving the ship early, you won’t be charged for anything more once you’ve already departed.  
But, as others have mentioned, it is absolutely imperative to ask the cruise line for a route deviation and as soon as possible.  There is always the consideration that some ports of call are missed, dates are changed or taken off the itinerary completely.  If none of those happen, you will still need to formally seek permission to disembark early.  If you already know all of this, bon voyage and have a great time.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

What a nice gift from your in laws!  
Without any packages, you are charged daily for the crew appreciation on your folio.  So, while you won’t receive any discount on your fare for leaving the ship early, you won’t be charged for anything more once you’ve already departed.  
But, as others have mentioned, it is absolutely imperative to ask the cruise line for a route deviation and as soon as possible.  There is always the consideration that some ports of call are missed, dates are changed or taken off the itinerary completely.  If none of those happen, you will still need to formally seek permission to disembark early.  If you already know all of this, bon voyage and have a great time.  

Or there may not be any immigration officers available 

43 minutes ago, memoak said:

Or there may not be any immigration officers available 

Exactly!  Not sure of how that process is handled in Europe, as we’ve never been.  But, I can only imagine there are protocols that need to be followed like anywhere else.  

• Like 1

We're not cruise people, but the other family members in our group are "black" (including the kids) whatever that means. They cruise, a lot. If you knew my in-laws you'd know everything has been taken care of. This cruise was booked 1.5 yr ago! I would have asked them, but anytime the word cruise is even mentioned, it's nonstop cruise talk. Did I mention we're the odd ones out? We're very reluctant cruisers, as we like biking and hiking. The in-laws booked a very fancy cabin on the ship (is there only one??). I think the dinner might be in there?? As I mentioned, I don't dare bring it up because they won't shut-up about how great cruising is. Partner and I have a pact - smile, and we'll turn lemons into lemonade.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

34 minutes ago, Darfan said:

We're very reluctant cruisers, as we like biking and hiking. The in-laws booked a very fancy cabin on the ship (is there only one??). I think the dinner might be in there?? As I mentioned, I don't dare bring it up because they won't shut-up about how great cruising is. Partner and I have a pact - smile, and we'll turn lemons into lemonade.

I love your approach to joining the family even if it doesn’t thrill you. Your attitude will be very helpful! Not sure what ports you’ll visit or but there might be some great outdoor activities available, including hiking and biking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darfan said:

We're not cruise people, but the other family members in our group are "black" (including the kids) whatever that means. They cruise, a lot. If you knew my in-laws you'd know everything has been taken care of. This cruise was booked 1.5 yr ago! I would have asked them, but anytime the word cruise is even mentioned, it's nonstop cruise talk. Did I mention we're the odd ones out? We're very reluctant cruisers, as we like biking and hiking. The in-laws booked a very fancy cabin on the ship (is there only one??). I think the dinner might be in there?? As I mentioned, I don't dare bring it up because they won't shut-up about how great cruising is. Partner and I have a pact - smile, and we'll turn lemons into lemonade.

just smile and say good bye- if you do not confirm your own deviations approval!  Good luck.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darfan said:

I would not make assumptions that arrangements have been made to leave the ship early without some paperwork in hand. Could wake up to a big surprise or have to change plans on the fly if ports are skipped due to weather, strikes or something else 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Darfan said:

We're not cruise people, but the other family members in our group are "black" (including the kids) whatever that means.

"Black," in this context means they are Elite, the highest loyalty level and receive some perks. We took our adult daughter to Japan on her first cruise recently and though she discovered cruising is not to her tastes, she did appreciate the family bonding time.  I hope you do as well.

Though family are Elite, not everyone knows how to apply for early disembarkation. Here is the form, which will need to be approved:

https://salessupport.princess.com/route_sector_change_request

• Like 3

Just curious:  do you need to leave the cruise early so you can return to work or deal with other responsibilities?  Or is it just because you are not cruise people?  If it's the latter, why not plan to stay on board?  An extra five days won't kill you.  I didn't think I was a "cruise person" either when I took my first cruise (mainly because I was much younger than the traditional demographic and loved planning my own travel itineraries), but I loved it!  The rest is history.

10 minutes ago, charliedalrymple said:

Just curious:  do you need to leave the cruise early so you can return to work or deal with other responsibilities?  Or is it just because you are not cruise people?  If it's the latter, why not plan to stay on board?  An extra five days won't kill you.  I didn't think I was a "cruise person" either when I took my first cruise (mainly because I was much younger than the traditional demographic and loved planning my own travel itineraries), but I loved it!  The rest is history.

The OP mentioned a wedding.  And presumably they didn't book a 7-night voyage and then leave after 2.  But the in-laws could be just cruise-crazy enough to do it - LOL. 

On 3/2/2024 at 12:19 PM, Cruise Raider said:

Without any packages, you are charged daily for the crew appreciation on your folio.  So, while you won’t receive any discount on your fare for leaving the ship early, you won’t be charged for anything more once you’ve already departed

This is the correct answer for @Darfan

• Like 1