Norwegian entertainment

All the mentions of Fleetwwod Mac and Stevie Nicks I need to post my all time favorite Stevie song...(although not done with Fleetwood Mac) OMG she has the voice of an angel.

• Like 3

I’m still reading through the thread, but I have good news folks. Just almost sat in my first Wheel of Fortune on the Dawn. I was ready to exaggerate how poorly it was attended… I say almost because seven people signed up and they needed a minimum of 20, so it was cancelled. No exaggeration required. All the previous entertainment has been well attended.

This was the 8PM Theatre show for the night. Sea day tomorrow. The 7PM Broadway Cabaret show in Bliss was packed with standing room only. There’s a second broadway cabaret show at 9.

As someone who said there was no way this was an entertainment replacement… well I was wrong. But trust me NCL is going to get the message, this isn’t lasting.

For anyone who has actually seen this show (since I haven’t), I also want to say the Price is Right is an actual production. Don’t hold this cheap time play experience that should occur in the bliss lounge at 3PM on a Sea day, against the more elaborate game shows.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, UKstages said:

but, but, but... i have it on very good authority that the contemporary cruiser loves game shows!

I probably qualify as a contemporary cruiser (mid millennial), NCL apologist, lover of Price is Right on Prima… I even like Prima. I even can claim I paid for Price is Right Live when it toured through our city over a decade ago and it was great fun (and I won money so that probably impacts the experience)…

But what just went down with this wheel of fortune thing is embarrassing. It’s the one thing I’ll highlight as an out and out con on my survey, even on another highly disrupted cruise.

Also time play with anyone older than 50 is not a smart idea… and 50+ is the Wheel demographic. I did a timeplay free trivia on Celebrity Edge and it was great, but boy did the audience struggle and that wasn’t when there was a charge on the line.

the contemporary cruiser line is a nod to a frequent comment we see here on cruise critic... that there is somehow something called a "contemporary cruiser" and that NCL is making all manner of changes to appeal to the tastes of this predictable and pigeon-holed mythical beast.

we have previously noted here that "wheel" seemed to be more of a slipshod affair hosted by the cruise director... more of a pimped out "deal or no deal" than a genuine "show" with the production values of "price is right." some who have seen it have seemed to enjoy it. but it ain't professional cruise ship show business entertainment.

with regard to the over 50 crowd, you are not going to find much sympathy for those comments here. many of our frequent posters are on sixth and seventh or eighth avenue and most are quick witted vibrant folks who would have no problem playing the game or regaling the audience with tales, both tall and small. now, paying $$$ for the game, they'd have a problem... and rightly so. but no problems for the average joe to play.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, laudergayle said:

I was a bit too young (not by much) for Woodstock.  I did own the albums and could sing along.

My Woodstock-esq festival was in 2016 in Indio, CA…which is the site of the annual Coachella.  Our 3-day event was called Desert Trip but was known as Oldchella. 🤣

The 3-day event featured Bob Dylan, The Rolling Stones, Neil Young, The Who, Paul McCartney and Roger Waters.  It was crazy seeing these old rockers still playing and jumping around the stage…especially Mick Jagger.

How young? I was 22, but I have met younger people who attended.

I met 2 people on our last summer Prima cruise who also attended. The second went like this:

I got on the elevator on the 17th floor (buffet) to go to our cabin on the 11th floor. A couple got on on the 16th floor.

The wife--"Where are you from?"

Me--"Monticello, NY"

the wife again--"Did you go to Woodstock?"

Me--"Yes, I was 22.."

the husband--"17"

And at the local library when they had the county historian giving a presentation about Woodstock. I met someone (she was actually married to the younger brother of a girl I graduated high school with) who said she was 14.

Now I do think that was a little too young.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UKstages said:

mr. zimmerman was also my first concert!

ten years later, though... rolling thunder tour.

just to get this thread back on track... NCL should make dylan the godfather of the aqua.

don't worry, i'll take @cruiseny4life aside and explain who bob dylan is.

Actually Dylan was not my first concert, but the second and was the first MAJOR concert. The real first was the folk singers Ian and Sylvia.

16 minutes ago, UKstages said:

the contemporary cruiser line is a nod to a frequent comment we see here on cruise critic... that there is somehow something called a "contemporary cruiser" and that NCL is making all manner of changes to appeal to the tastes of this predictable and pigeon-holed mythical beast.

we have previously noted here that "wheel" seemed to be more of a slipshod affair hosted by the cruise director... more of a pimped out "deal or no deal" than a genuine "show" with the production values of "price is right." some who have seen it have seemed to enjoy it. but it ain't professional cruise ship show business entertainment.

with regard to the over 50 crowd, you are not going to find much sympathy for those comments here. many of our frequent posters are on sixth and seventh or eighth avenue and most are quick witted vibrant folks who would have no problem playing the game or regaling the audience with tales, both tall and small. now, paying $$$ for the game, they'd have a problem... and rightly so. but no problems for the average joe to play.

sorry, that comment didn’t come off the way I meant.

It is making one’s phone connect to finicky timeplay that seems to give older generations a hard time. But they do have lots of crew walking around helping. It’s just a messy way of appealing to an older crowd, who would much rather have a physical wheel and low barrier to entry. It’s the antithesis of what the actual “Wheel Demographic” wants. Probably why people just stand up and leave.

29 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

12 and I lived in Florida…lol. However, had I lived close by…who knows.  Kids exercised a whole different level of freedom in the ‘60’s-‘70’s.  I shock myself sometimes thinking about some of the things I did and the distances I traveled without adult supervision.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BrianLo said:

It is making one’s phone connect to finicky timeplay that seems to give older generations a hard time.

yeah, no, i got that. i'm familiar with the technology, although i haven't seen this version of "wheel." i've seen the interactive game show using a connected audience thang. there are several companies who do this.

i would submit to you that it's not the age of the audience that's the problem... it's the reliability of the internet connection and how NCL implements the software. it also may depend on the user interface/experience designed by the gaming company.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BrianLo said:

sorry, that comment didn’t come off the way I meant.

It is making one’s phone connect to finicky timeplay that seems to give older generations a hard time. But they do have lots of crew walking around helping. It’s just a messy way of appealing to an older crowd, who would much rather have a physical wheel and low barrier to entry. It’s the antithesis of what the actual “Wheel Demographic” wants. Probably why people just stand up and leave.

I am older (well old for me late 50s) and have no problems working a phone, computer or anything else technical. I do not go on a cruise and use my cell phone. It goes in the safe and stays there until the day we get ready to get off of the ship. 

The reason I would not go or would walk out is I hate being entertained by other passengers. When Carnival went down this road with their entertainment mostly being done by passengers we switched lines and have not been back.  

The being old thing and not being able to work the phone doesn't jive for me

Edited by ready2cruzagain
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, ontheweb said:

We went to a Jefferson Airplane Reunion concert a number of years ago and were chatting with some much younger folks next to us.  They remarked, "Well I guess nobody as ever seen Jefferson Airplane before!"  When I said that I had they said that it must have been Jefferson Starship.  When I said, "no, Airplane, 1968" they were shocked and asked, "How old ARE you?  Were you at Woodstock?"  Nope, but I was 14 and remember the tickets for Woodstock being on sale.  Would have gone had it been known that Woodstock would be WOODSTOCK but I was in enough trouble that week already so I figured I better not aggravate the parental units any further.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, laudergayle said:

12 and I lived in Florida…lol. However, had I lived close by…who knows.  Kids exercised a whole different level of freedom in the ‘60’s-‘70’s.  I shock myself sometimes thinking about some of the things I did and the distances I traveled without adult supervision.  

Yes it was a different world and we had so much freedom.  That famous "generation gap" was very useful;)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Travelling2Some said:

Yes it was a different world and we had so much freedom.  That famous "generation gap" was very useful;)

My favorite saying from back in the day was "Don't trust anyone over 30" Now that i am over 70 might need to rethink that one! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

10 hours ago, UKstages said:

I would submit to you that it's not the age of the audience that's the problem... it's the reliability of the internet connection and how NCL implements the software. it also may depend on the user interface/experience designed by the gaming company.

Absolutely. And again my comment was meant to be an indictment against the tech service, not the age demographic.

9 hours ago, ready2cruzagain said:

I am older (well old for me late 50s) and have no problems working a phone, computer or anything else technical. I do not go on a cruise and use my cell phone. It goes in the safe and stays there until the day we get ready to get off of the ship. 

Also absolutely. Perhaps I should have re-worded it that the older generation doesn’t ‘like’ the experience. It wasn’t meant to be a capability issue or indictment.

Experiencing the same software on the free version on the Edge didn’t go over so well. A lot of people said they just wanted a pen and paper. I liked it, but I think the enjoyment aspect is generational rather than capability. 

I never pick a cruise on what entertainment is offered, I book based on price, length and ports. I have enjoyed some of the Broadway like productions on the ships but not having them is not a deal breaker.

Imo this was a cut for cost savings, the big shows between props, production crews, cast salaries, cabins used not to mention the licensing fees comes out to lots and lots of money! 

Unfortunately for those cruisers that really enjoy the shows I don’t see them coming back anytime soon

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Travelling2Some said:

We went to a Jefferson Airplane Reunion concert a number of years ago and were chatting with some much younger folks next to us.  They remarked, "Well I guess nobody as ever seen Jefferson Airplane before!"  When I said that I had they said that it must have been Jefferson Starship.  When I said, "no, Airplane, 1968" they were shocked and asked, "How old ARE you?  Were you at Woodstock?"  Nope, but I was 14 and remember the tickets for Woodstock being on sale.  Would have gone had it been known that Woodstock would be WOODSTOCK but I was in enough trouble that week already so I figured I better not aggravate the parental units any further.

Well, I guess I could have got in free, but I do not regret the $18 I spent on my 3 day ticket. I wish I had it as a souvenir, but it probably disintegrated in all the rain.

I actually lost my job by going to the concert. I was working at the concession stands at Monticello Racetrack (maybe 10 miles or so from the concert site). I had been working there summers for a few years, so by the union contract I was paid maybe 25 cents more per hour than annew employee. New people (actually a corporation) bought the concession that year I was not there at the beginning of the season as I was not going to miss either finals or my college graduation. So they treated me as having no seniority for working and would often tell me to take some weekdays off. Now if your boss treats you well, you reciprocate. And the same if they treat you like garbage.

So, just before the Woodstock weekend, I told them I had tickets to a music festival and was not coming in that weekend. They told me if I did not come in to never come back. My reply was I would come back for the paycheck they still owed me.

The funny thing is I should have never told them and just not showed up as they had to close because no one could get there as they are on the same road as everyone needed to get to Woodstock and the traffic did not allow anyone to get there..

Edited by ontheweb
cleaned up grammar

11 hours ago, Red-Sol said:

My favorite saying from back in the day was "Don't trust anyone over 30" Now that i am over 70 might need to rethink that one! 🤣

LOL, I often say I was part of the "don't trust anyone over 30 generation", and now I have a son in his mid-40s.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BrianLo said:

Perhaps I should have re-worded it that the older generation doesn’t ‘like’ the experience.

naaah, i think your original wording was fine. i mean, i understood what you were saying perfectly. your posts are swell, but no matter how you rephrase it, i still don't agree with you!

we (the folks on this board, not you and i) had this discussion when the original concept of the "contemporary cruiser" came up. it's wrong to put people into buckets based on when they were born. not because it's discriminatory, but because it's just wrong... it's not founded on any reliable research and never proves out. people seventy years ago were just as "entitled" and "miserable" and "curious" and "ambitious" and "adaptive to change" as millennials or gen x-ers or people of any other age.

some 87 year olds like game shows and some 32 year olds do, too. but not all 32 year olds like game shows. and not all 87 year olds do not.

some 32 year olds are luddites and some 87 year olds build computers from scratch.

the reason people wanted paper and pen, was because NCL created a bad poorly functioning entertainment experience for WOF, not because they were older.

• Haha 1