Embarkation lunch on the Getaway

Hello cruisers,

My wife and I are cruising out of NYC to Bermuda in March. Wanted to know if anyone is familiar with restaurants are open upon boarding.

Also, can you drop off your luggage before you park in the terminal lot. Confusing info on this point.

Thanks for any feedback.

Happy Cruisin'

Gary

• Like 1

We just did the buffet, garden cafe when we boarded. I think that O'sheehans place was open to. Thats a nice 24hr option with some nice comfort food. We did the same itin and had a great time, really enjoy those days at see in the deep water. Enjoy!

42 minutes ago, Memphischef said:

Hello cruisers,

My wife and I are cruising out of NYC to Bermuda in March. Wanted to know if anyone is familiar with restaurants are open upon boarding.

Also, can you drop off your luggage before you park in the terminal lot. Confusing info on this point.

Thanks for any feedback.

Happy Cruisin'

Gary

We were just talking about this last night. My wife, daughter and I are sailing Getaway in April.

We stopped hitting the buffet for lunch many years ago. Just too crazy an atmosphere.

On recent cruises we've done O'Sheehans and mostly the mdr. The mdr, either taste or savor, is a nice and relaxing way to start your cruise.

Another recently made free option is American Diner.

We discussed possibly doing that venue for a change. 

As far as luggage is concerned, we check our big bags with the porter and lug around our carry on bags. I bring a backpack so not really a big deal.

Have a great sailing! 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Memphischef said:

Hello cruisers,

Thanks for any feedback.

Happy Cruisin'

Gary

Are you driving to the port and parking or being dropped off?

If you are driving and parking its pretty simple, you will drive up the ramp which is located on 12th Ave and W 54th street. Keep going to the top and pay at the booth. They will direct you to drive down to X pier... most likely pier 88. As you are turning onto the pier you go thru another booth and will be asked to stop, security with a dog will ask you to pop your trunk / hatch. After that their is an area you can quickly pull over and unload your bags. Porters are there to take them. Personally we take our own carry on's and backpacks. Go and park and take the elevator down. You will get in line for security and then to check in

Edited by Laszlo

1 hour ago, Memphischef said:

Hello cruisers,

Thanks for any feedback.

Happy Cruisin'

Gary

Lunch is available in the Garden Cafe Buffet (Deck 15 Aft), the Taste and Savor Main Dining Rooms (Deck 6 Aft), the American Cafe (out doors) (Deck 16 Aft) and O’Sheehan’s (Deck 7 mid-ship). 

Yes, you can drop your bags and circle around and back into the parking structure. Allow time for that. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Lunch is available in the Garden Cafe Buffet (Deck 15 Aft), the Taste and Savor Main Dining Rooms (Deck 6 Aft), the American Cafe (out doors) (Deck 16 Aft) and O’Sheehan’s (Deck 7 mid-ship). 

Yes, you can drop your bags and circle around and back into the parking structure. Allow time for that. 

Unless someone is in a wheelchair or having mobility issues their is zero reason to get in line to drop someone off and then circle around to park. The traffic normally is a nightmare near the entrance. You would need to drop them off, drive down to the light, do a U turn and then drive up 7 blocks to the ramp to the parking garage. They have porters on the parking deck 

Edited by Laszlo

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Unless someone is in a wheelchair or having mobility issues their is zero reason to get in line to drop someone off and then circle around to park. The traffic normally is a nightmare near the entrance. You would need to drop them off, drive down to the light, do a U turn and then drive up 7 blocks to the ramp to the parking garage. They have porters on the parking deck 

We’ve never circled around (that would take forever) we’ve never been allowed to drop folks/luggage off at the parking gate where the dogs are, and we’ve never seen a porter (although we have used porters to bring our luggage to our vehicle for a nice tip, so I know it’s possible). ETA we always head to a MDR for lunch.

Edited by mjkacmom
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Are you driving to the port and parking or being dropped off?

If you are driving and parking its pretty simple, you will drive up the ramp which is located on 12th Ave and W 54th street. Keep going to the top and pay at the booth. They will direct you to drive down to X pier... most likely pier 88. As you are turning onto the pier you go thru another booth and will be asked to stop, security with a dog will ask you to pop your trunk / hatch. After that their is an area you can quickly pull over and unload your bags. Porters are there to take them. Personally we take our own carry on's and backpacks. Go and park and take the elevator down. You will get in line for security and then to check in

I didn't realize all that was involved cruising out of NY. I guess I feel fortunate cruising out of FL. We just park in the garage and drop our luggage off with the porter and walk in the cruise terminal.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

We’ve never circled around (that would take forever) we’ve never been allowed to drop folks/luggage off at the parking gate where the dogs are, and we’ve never seen a porter (although we have used porters to bring our luggage to our vehicle for a nice tip, so I know it’s possible). ETA we always head to a MDR for lunch.

Yea driving around in a circle is just crazy. Strange you have never been allowed to drop luggage off. Might be a time thing, we normally get there between 9-9:30 and pull over... see Red Oval on screen shot

Screen Shot 2024-03-06 at 11.31.16 AM.png

7 minutes ago, detroitlions said:

I didn't realize all that was involved cruising out of NY. I guess I feel fortunate cruising out of FL. We just park in the garage and drop our luggage off with the porter and walk in the cruise terminal.

It's really not that involved, the parking area for the ship is above the cruise terminal. Its really pretty easy. Of course their are other parking locations a little farther away and cheaper you can use. We have taken 6 cruises out of NYC (driving to the port) Its easy peasy 

1 minute ago, Laszlo said:

It's really not that involved, the parking area for the ship is above the cruise terminal. Its really pretty easy. Of course their are other parking locations a little farther away and cheaper you can use. We have taken 6 cruises out of NYC (driving to the port) Its easy peasy 

That's cool one day I will have to do a NY Canada trip. I just usually drive to Miami, Ft Lauderdale or Orlando. I like the Miami terminals the best and seems easiest port Canaveral in Orlando my least favorite. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

just so there's no confusion - and folks don't go looking for something called the "american cafe" - it's the "american diner," which was recently made into a complimentary venue. i ate there on embarkation day and found it to be virtually empty, as, on day 1, many do not yet realize it's now a "free" dining venue.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Yea driving around in a circle is just crazy. Strange you have never been allowed to drop luggage off. Might be a time thing, we normally get there between 9-9:30 and pull over... see Red Oval on screen shot

When we cruised out of the Manhattan Terminal in June we parked on this upper deck as shown in Lazslo’s photo. As we approached the elevators to go down to the terminal, there were porters with large luggage carts accepting checked baggage. It couldn’t have been easier! We’re cruising from Manhattan again tomorrow on the Getaway, but taking the train up from Baltimore tomorrow morning instead of driving. The train tickets were less expensive than parking at the port this time and we’ll skip driving in morning rush hour (can’t leave the night before due to work). But if I had a more leisurely schedule I wouldn’t hesitate to drive and park again at the port. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

lol it is strange! We arrive between 9 - 9:30. Fortunately we are all able bodied and can manage luggage, so I’ve never question it, so many have resorted back that they were able to drop off people/luggage, but not our family (we squeeze 7 of us and our luggage in a minivan).

27 minutes ago, weisla said:

When we cruised out of the Manhattan Terminal in June we parked on this upper deck as shown in Lazslo’s photo. As we approached the elevators to go down to the terminal, there were porters with large luggage carts accepting checked baggage. It couldn’t have been easier! We’re cruising from Manhattan again tomorrow on the Getaway, but taking the train up from Baltimore tomorrow morning instead of driving. The train tickets were less expensive than parking at the port this time and we’ll skip driving in morning rush hour (can’t leave the night before due to work). But if I had a more leisurely schedule I wouldn’t hesitate to drive and park again at the port. 

Not to derail the thread.... how much luggage are you taking? We thought about taking Amtrak up from 30th street but I thought all you could bring was a carry on size

46 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Not to derail the thread.... how much luggage are you taking? We thought about taking Amtrak up from 30th street but I thought all you could bring was a carry on size

You can bring luggage on Amtrak, if you need a red cap for assistance just ask (and tip).

• Like 1

Very easy at MCT in NY.  (Side note: we've never had dogs sniff our trunk - maybe that's done on random days).  The first time we parked there I literally said "so small" -- it was not what I was expecting.  We parked and rolled/carried our luggage to the elevator (about 200 feet away) before seeing the porter and giving to him.  The next time we parked there we knew better and dropped our luggage with a porter up there in the lot before driving into a spot -- again, maybe 200 feet away... unless you're lucky and get a closer spot.

Will be doing the same for our cruise in April. 

• Like 1

Just wanted to Thank everyone for all the info. very much appreciated.

We've been cruising for years, but this is my first time on this site. All my questions were answered (even some I didn't know I had:)

Thanks again and Cruise On

G

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

You can bring luggage on Amtrak, if you need a red cap for assistance just ask (and tip).

Here is the Amtrak carry on baggage policy:

https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/baggage-policy/carry-on-baggage.html
For 3 of us we have 3 suitcases and 3 backpacks. We are on the Acela and there is plenty of room onboard, both in overhead bins and in a luggage storage area at the end of the car for larger suitcases. The baggage measurements are approximate, they don’t check size if you’re carrying on. Some trains have a baggage car and you can check luggage, but that is not the case between DC & NY.

(And to the original topic, we also had a security check with a sniffer dog when we drove & entered the terminal parking!)

Edited by weisla
  • Like 1