Help Me Dream About my Next Cruise

Sthrngary

With so much craziness in our world, I am trying and I do mean trying, to distract myself with happy thoughts.  Dreaming about upcoming cruises has always been my happy place.  That is why I am writing this topic.  I also believe if you focus on the good in life, knowing life is not always great, it keeps a smile on your face.

My problem is I book cruises to far in advance.  I booked my 10-Day Mediterranean Cruise on the Riviera 18 months ahead of time.  My booked my next cruise which is another 10-Day Mediterranean Cruise on the Vista 24 months ahead.  Some thing we did I definitely want to do again.  They include:

• Pre-Dinner Drinks at Martinis
  • Using the Outside Spa in the Front of the ship
  • Spending quiet time on the headed stone lounge chairs
  • Eating at Red Ginger
  • Finding the best bakery in each port
  • Having my morning coffee at the illy Barista
  • As a frequent member of this board shares quite often, I love finding really nice wines at each port then it would be enjoyed in our stateroom that night.  

Next cruise I know I want to go to the Dom Champagne special meal which will be my big splurge. I might have to do that one solo.  My wife and guest think it is silly and way to expensive.  To each their own.

Please share your favorite thing you absolutely want to do on your next cruise.  Lets enjoy the day dream together. 

Cruise well and enjoy every moment. 

• Like 4

Looking forward to Vista a week from Saturday.  Going to try "butler".

(Got my briefing letter done.  Thank you @Sthrngary for the idea)

(Won't have a tub, so Herself won't be able to drop "I had our butler draw me a bath" into any conversations 😞 )

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Love your posts, Gary!  Also wanted to let you know that I borrowed your butler letter idea on our January 2024 Vista cruise, and our butler really liked it.  In fact, a couple times when we ran into him in the hall, he pulled it out of his coat pocket to get clarification. 🙂

We too booked a 11/2025 cruise and a FCC for what we hope will be a 2026 itinerary that hasn't been released yet.  It is too far away, so we also dream.

As for our dream: the 2025 cruise is the transatlantic on Vista from Barcelona to Miami.  We loved the PH so much that we booked one that has the wide balcony (deck 7, rear).  With 14 days and lots of sea days, we "dream" of staying "in" at least a couple days, enjoy the veranda, and having specialty dining brought to us by the butler.  🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sleeping that first night on the super comfortable O beds with maybe just a hint of the ocean rocking you to bed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Snaefell3 said:

Looking forward to Vista a week from Saturday.  Going to try "butler".

(Got my briefing letter done.  Thank you @Sthrngary for the idea)

(Won't have a tub, so Herself won't be able to drop "I had our butler draw me a bath" into any conversations 😞 )

@Snaefell3 Have your butler bring you a nice coffee and pastry every morning from Barista.  Love that.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DENIE said:

Love your posts, Gary!  Also wanted to let you know that I borrowed your butler letter idea on our January 2024 Vista cruise, and our butler really liked it.  In fact, a couple times when we ran into him in the hall, he pulled it out of his coat pocket to get clarification. 🙂

We too booked a 11/2025 cruise and a FCC for what we hope will be a 2026 itinerary that hasn't been released yet.  It is too far away, so we also dream.

As for our dream: the 2025 cruise is the transatlantic on Vista from Barcelona to Miami.  We loved the PH so much that we booked one that has the wide balcony (deck 7, rear).  With 14 days and lots of sea days, we "dream" of staying "in" at least a couple days, enjoy the veranda, and having specialty dining brought to us by the butler.  🙂

@DENIE That will be awesome. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

With so much craziness in our world, I am trying and I do mean trying, to distract myself with happy thoughts.  Dreaming about upcoming cruises has always been my happy place.  That is why I am writing this topic.  I also believe if you focus on the good in life, knowing life is not always great, it keeps a smile on your face.

My problem is I book cruises to far in advance.  I booked my 10-Day Mediterranean Cruise on the Riviera 18 months ahead of time.  My booked my next cruise which is another 10-Day Mediterranean Cruise on the Vista 24 months ahead.  Some thing we did I definitely want to do again.  They include:

• Eating at Red Ginger
  • As a frequent member of this board shares quite often, I love finding really nice wines at each port then it would be enjoyed in our stateroom that night.  

Next cruise I know I want to go to the Dom Champagne special meal which will be my big splurge. I might have to do that one solo.  My wife and guest think it is silly and way to expensive.  To each their own.

Please share your favorite thing you absolutely want to do on your next cruise.  Lets enjoy the day dream together. 

I believe we're on the same cruise.  I'd be happy to splurge with you at the Dom dinner.

• Thanks 1

@Sthrngary Et al,

Here  are a couple ideas. When on Riviera, DW loves the Artists Loft with Graham Denison so if you are sailing with he and Shuna, join his art class. Lots of fun and great people and we have even purchased something he did custom for us. Had dinner with them and some other Artists in the GDR, what a blast. 
IF you can book Privee for a private special dinner, go for it.  So far our upcoming Riviera trip, Privee is not being offered yet, costs $300 for the night but great fun for us and friends and even invited the CD or Club Ambassadors or an officer to fill out the table for 10. Very enjoyable, especially if celebrating a SPECIAL Occasion.
On Vista, Privee is where the La Reserve/Dom dinners are served so limited to 8-10.  There are private dining rooms in Polo, Toscana and Red Ginger that are tied to Wine Pairing dinners for about 8 guests. We have not been able to book one of these yet but hope to soon. We did get an invite from the GM on Vista and dined in the Polo private dining room and had a wonderful dinner with him and his invited guests. 

Thanks for the Butler letter idea, we usually have a chat but the letter eliminates all my, “I forgot” excuses to my DW.  Also, traveled with friends, she LOVED Polo’s Key Lime Pie.  Hubby won points, had a Key Lime Pie delivered every night at 9:00 😇👍🙏❤️.

ENJOY,

Mauibabes 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

Please share your favorite thing you absolutely want to do on your next cruise.

Hmmm...I'll have to think of my favorite, but in the mean time...after we board and check in at the muster station, we make a bee line for Baristas for a melange, a cappuccino, and a cannele...heaven!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

• Eating at Red Ginger

No more illy coffee

the Dom LaReserve is way overpriced. Save the money and buy some outstanding bottles of NorCal sparkling wines.

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No more illy coffee

the Dom LaReserve is way overpriced. Save the money and buy some outstanding bottles of NorCal sparkling wines.

What’s replacing Illy, Flatbush?  Hope it’s Lavazza🤞

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

In house brand which isn’t bad.

I’ll be able to try it next month on Vista.  So much depends on the machine and the Barista who operates it.  If we’re obsessive about anything, it’s the perfect espresso and piccolo latte.  Add to that the perfect “al dente” pasta.  O has, on all our voyages, delivered both.  Fingers crossed…

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My next cruise isn’t with Oceania but I’m hoping it will be warm weather. It should be so I’m looking forward to eating under the stars!

Also, just checked to see which other ships may be in port with us. Only two ports with other ships on the same days, one is Saga Spirit of Adventure and the other Wind Spirit so hopefully no ‘monsters’ …. fingers crossed!

• Thanks 1

Eating out isn't just about getting dinner for us - it's a hobby. There's the planning where to go, what to eat, writing a review of the meal to post online. A whole process. We do it once a week. 

Best thing about a cruise (or, indeed, most holidays) is that we get to indulge in our hobby every night of the duration. And that's  without mentioning lunches and breakfasts. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mauibabes said:

@Sthrngary Et al,

Here  are a couple ideas. When on Riviera, DW loves the Artists Loft with Graham Denison so if you are sailing with he and Shuna, join his art class. Lots of fun and great people and we have even purchased something he did custom for us. Had dinner with them and some other Artists in the GDR, what a blast. 
IF you can book Privee for a private special dinner, go for it.  So far our upcoming Riviera trip, Privee is not being offered yet, costs $300 for the night but great fun for us and friends and even invited the CD or Club Ambassadors or an officer to fill out the table for 10. Very enjoyable, especially if celebrating a SPECIAL Occasion.
On Vista, Privee is where the La Reserve/Dom dinners are served so limited to 8-10.  There are private dining rooms in Polo, Toscana and Red Ginger that are tied to Wine Pairing dinners for about 8 guests. We have not been able to book one of these yet but hope to soon. We did get an invite from the GM on Vista and dined in the Polo private dining room and had a wonderful dinner with him and his invited guests. 

Thanks for the Butler letter idea, we usually have a chat but the letter eliminates all my, “I forgot” excuses to my DW.  Also, traveled with friends, she LOVED Polo’s Key Lime Pie.  Hubby won points, had a Key Lime Pie delivered every night at 9:00 😇👍🙏❤️.

ENJOY,

Mauibabes 

@mauibabes Thank you for taking the time to share.  We are on the Vista.  The idea of having the Key Lime Pie escaped me on my last trip.  I am all in on that.  The Privee was an after thought on my first Oceania Cruise and I regret not doing it.  I will do my best not to miss that this upcoming voyage. Thank you again for a kind thoughtful post.

8 hours ago, alcpa1 said:

Gary,

When we get back from our Sirena cruise in a couple of weeks we need to meet for lunch and dream and scheme together!!!

@alcpa1 Are you from my area of Alabama?  Is so, it is a date.  Love to.

7 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Hmmm...I'll have to think of my favorite, but in the mean time...after we board and check in at the muster station, we make a bee line for Baristas for a melange, a cappuccino, and a cannele...heaven!

@AMHuntFerry You are right.  I did not know the ship and my group was upset I could not find a BAR quick enough.  The Baristas covers my coffee and their adult beverages.  Great call.

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

No more illy coffee

@Flatbush Flyer Well I did not know about the illy coffee but what I did have in November was pretty darn good.  On the Dom, I could not agree more about the price.  That said, something has happened to my and my mindset in the last two years.  I don't mean to get personal with this comment but I think others will understand.  They might not agree but they will understand.

I was a Professional Educator, Speaker and developed curriculum for fortune 100 and 500 companies. I owned my own company since I was 30.  At age 60 I had an acute stroke that was a wake up call.  I retired.  My biggest fear as is most folks men or woman at this stage of our lives is if our retirement/savings will last us the rest of our lives.  After 6 months of fear I realized, everything would be just fine.  Then an occasional health issue here and there which all got handled efficiently.  I went from being super cheap, saving every cent I could for a rainy day to saying, "It is time for me to be a little reckless, and splurge on some things. Life is to short." So the cruise staterooms got nicer, we went to Destin, FL for Vacation more, and a few more nights out to dinner started to happen.  None of which I would have or did consider earlier in my life.  So things like the Dom event is definitely not frugal and in many was a waste.  However it is an experience I have thought about so why not. 

Sorry for the book, but one of those mornings with my coffee.

• Like 9

I enjoy buying travel guides from the local Half-Priced Book store. Detailed ones. Like Rick Steves' for European cities and areas. Then I study the city tours he sets out. Walking thru the route in my mind as I follow the map and read the descriptions of what we'll see. Then I'll have the book with me when we actually get there and walk the route. Did that in Istanbul, for example, taking the #38 bus 4 miles out to the old walls of Constantinople and then walking his route back, finding everything on the route. Doing this for out upcoming 22-night Baltic cruise on Sirena. Studying London, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Tallinn, Stockholm and more.

Of course, I salivate at the thought of going into local grocery and liquor/wine stores to see what bargains I can find on beer, hard liqour and wine. It was paradise in the Med last year. Whether Italian wine, Montenegrin beer or brandy from Greece, Serbia and Spain. With some bizarre finds like red Etna fire water and Turkish Raki.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Sthrngary said:

...we went to Destin, FL for Vacation more, and a few more nights out to dinner started to happen.  None of which I would have or did consider earlier in my life....

Gina and I hope to get back to Destin. Did part of our 2018 honeymoon there. Starting it in Charleston, then to Savannah, and ending in Destin. The road construction going west was a bit of a pain then!

If you get the chance, take the boat out to Ship Island to have it all to yourself for the day. I had proposed to Gina next to the large cannon on the upper deck of Fort Massachusetts on it: "Ship Island is the site of Fort Massachusetts (built 1859–66), as a Third System fortification. Part of the island is included in the Gulf Islands National Seashore."

Ship Island (Mississippi) - Wikipedia

And DO some amazing bucket list in-depth vacation. For me, that was 2 weeks in Paraguay in April-May 2022. I've studied the country since my college days in the 1980s. Hope to get to Madagascar in 2026! SEE THE AMAZING TRAVEL/HISTORY WORKS BY JOHN GIMLETTE, A BRITISH ATTORNEY.

3 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

I enjoy buying travel guides from the local Half-Priced Book store. Detailed ones. Like Rick Steves' for European cities and areas. Then I study the city tours he sets out. Walking thru the route in my mind as I follow the map and read the descriptions of what we'll see. Then I'll have the book with me when we actually get there and walk the route. Did that in Istanbul, for example, taking the #38 bus 4 miles out to the old walls of Constantinople and then walking his route back, finding everything on the route. Doing this for out upcoming 22-night Baltic cruise on Sirena. Studying London, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Tallinn, Stockholm and more.

Of course, I salivate at the thought of going into local grocery and liquor/wine stores to see what bargains I can find on beer, hard liqour and wine. It was paradise in the Med last year. Whether Italian wine, Montenegrin beer or brandy from Greece, Serbia and Spain. With some bizarre finds like red Etna fire water and Turkish Raki.

🥁🥁🥁

We enjoy the moment when we walk across the gangway to step onboard for the first time - we always stop, look at each other, smile and say "what an amazing time we have ahead and it will go way too fast"

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2