Door Decoration banned on Regal Princess

Btimmer

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, 2 cruises a year said:

Beat me to it. My door decorations have saved me from trying to enter the wrong room more than once. (Seriously, I've knocked on the right door, wrong deck before. Luckily no one was home. I finally figured it out) 😉

I've spent more time than can be considered reasonable for a responsible adult approaching the wrong door on cruises 🤦I've been turned around multiple times by our various cabin stewards. Door decorations would have been a brilliant idea 😂 

Editing to add, because the conversation took quite a turn, I don't have any mental health or cognitive issues, just a lifelong poor sense of direction! My brother used to mock me for "never going directly anywhere, just circling it a few times before taking it by suprise" Sat nav is my favourite technology.

Edited by Scirocco Breeze
Additional information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Well, if the guest takes it out on them, or other security, that's grounds for getting kicked off the ship. 

I'm not saying I would resort it it but there are many ways to retaliate besides verbal abuse.

13 hours ago, cnice515 said:

It would take much more than a door decorations to tick me off my friend lol

That just you. There are many other cruisers who just love them.

6 hours ago, jbcallender said:

Well, it's their ship.  The only debate might be which island you fly home from.

My initial reaction to your comment is that you would run a business as the person shouting in meetings, "if you don't like it then you know where the door is" and thus you create ZERO loyalty from your team/employees.  So I am glad that you are not a part of Princess senior leadership 😂🙃.

And therefore, if Princess elects to ask me to leave the ship by simply discussing this topic then perhaps it is not the cruise line for me and I will take my business back to a competitor.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Paula_MacFan said:

We were on the Regal in January and saw many doors completely covered top to bottom with decorations. I'm talking life-sized Elvis with records, streamers, etc. Also others covered with birthday and anniversary decorations. Some extended out from the door to include the area around the cabin number and passenger names. I almost took a couple pictures but didn't, thinking that might be an invasion of privacy. 

Anyway I'm guessing it's these types of displays that are driving the new policy, not a simple sign or magnet. The Dollar Store sells so much of this stuff cheap that some people may be going overboard, so to speak 🙂

We saw some on the Marina deck on the Royal last year that was probably the beginning of the end .. so very tacky and you could see them from way down of the other end of the hallway.  It reminded me of being on spring break in a low budged motel.  I think those that have abused it have brought it on themselves.  
A friend of ours brought us some really cute little Goblin magnets with our names on them for our Halloween cruise.  Very cute!  But, I suppose it may have been offensive to some.  I have no problem putting my decor on the inside of my door, not that we are door decorators.  

• Like 3

This is a very interesting topic.  I had no idea it was such a big deal to decorate your door.  I don’t really care one way or the other but I am curious if not being able to do so would put a damper on your cruise?  I’m not finding fault, it really is just a question.  I don’t remember seeing any on the Regal last July.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

This is a very interesting topic.  I had no idea it was such a big deal to decorate your door.  I don’t really care one way or the other but I am curious if not being able to do so would put a damper on your cruise?  I’m not finding fault, it really is just a question.  I don’t remember seeing any on the Regal last July.

Also on the Regal last July, and I didn't notice any door decorations.  We were recently on the Enchanted (Feb. in Caribbean) and noticed lots of door decorations.

16 minutes ago, Fortunate 2 travel said:

Agreed.  I've found myself rolling my eyes at how tacky it can be when people go completely over the top but it's more amusing than anything else..doesn't actually impact me in any way and I've forgotten about it by the time I'm 10 steps further down the hallway. Always interesting to see what people have strong opinions about....this place is ground zero for people airing those opinions.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, cnice515 said:

My initial reaction to your comment is that you would run a business as the person shouting in meetings, "if you don't like it then you know where the door is" and thus you create ZERO loyalty from your team/employees.  So I am glad that you are not a part of Princess senior leadership 😂🙃.

And therefore, if Princess elects to ask me to leave the ship by simply discussing this topic then perhaps it is not the cruise line for me and I will take my business back to a competitor.

If I told you what I spent 40 years of my life doing, you might be surprised.  I am going to resist the temptation to respond.  Good day.

45 minutes ago, OSU Buckeyes 1980 said:

I don’t have a dog in this fight (we don’t decorate but I don’t have issues with those that do) but you have to admit they could make a pretty good Saturday Night Live skit out of this “dispute”. 

I agree, you can't make this stuff up.  Reality is greater that fiction. 

Any other expressions anyone would like to add?

As a follow up to my original post, I had a great discussion with our stateroom attendant and he definitely doesn't like being put in the position of being a door decoration policeman.  The person who is enforcing the rule is a Princess new hire who is going by the book.  Also he said that we have a "Safety Auditor" onboard and that he spoke with that person and they had no issue with door decorations.  And lastly, the people staying in a stateroom aft of us refused to take down their decoration and it's still up.  As for us, we're complying and trying to not let us be discouraged about sailing with Princess.  There are definitely more important issues than whether door decorations are permitted.  

We had a great last port stop at Mahogany Bay where we had the best snorkeling of the trip.  Today we're enjoying the first of two sea days on our way back to Galveston.

If you want to read about our voyage, my blog is found at:  Https://timmer2024belize.blogspot.com

IMG_5081.thumb.jpeg.c63e62cf6eccd3e05c6880cf941b68ad.jpegIMG_5063.jpeg.30e9a7168b9bea9b0dbeae2790498764.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, jbcallender said:

If I told you what I spent 40 years of my life doing, you might be surprised.  I am going to resist the temptation to respond.  Good day.

I might have been, yep I might have been but I guess we'll never know lol. 

Good day and much love to you as well sir or madam 🥰

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Btimmer said:

As a follow up to my original post, I had a great discussion with our stateroom attendant and he definitely doesn't like being put in the position of being a door decoration policeman.  The person who is enforcing the rule is a Princess new hire who is going by the book.  Also he said that we have a "Safety Auditor" onboard and that he spoke with that person and they had no issue with door decorations.  And lastly, the people staying in a stateroom aft of us refused to take down their decoration and it's still up.  As for us, we're complying and trying to not let us be discouraged about sailing with Princess.  There are definitely more important issues than whether door decorations are permitted.  

We had a great last port stop at Mahogany Bay where we had the best snorkeling of the trip.  Today we're enjoying the first of two sea days on our way back to Galveston.

Thanks so much for the update and further clarification.  I would have been like you and taken the magnets (we only use magnets) off of our door but I would have had, just as you did, a discussion regarding the reasoning behind the outlawing.  Definitely would not ruin my trip but could be a factor down the road as to my likeliness to cruise Princess again but certainly not if this were the only thing

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, cnice515 said:

I might have been, yep I might have been but I guess we'll never know lol. 

Good day and much love to you as well sir or madam 🥰

Oh, my goodness I just love your attitude.  Please spread it around to others not as gracious as you.  Thank you!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Btimmer said:

If you want to read about our voyage, my blog is found at:  Https://timmer2024belize.blogspot.com

IMG_5081.thumb.jpeg.c63e62cf6eccd3e05c6880cf941b68ad.jpegIMG_5063.jpeg.30e9a7168b9bea9b0dbeae2790498764.jpeg

Well, thanks for the update.

Not that we go crazy with any decorations but it's nice to know we can still put something on the door. It makes it so easy to spot without having to look at cabin numbers. 

• Like 1

Now that door decorations are a "safety hazard" I have to wonder how long it will be until Princess follows the new Carnival rules regarding mobility scooters. They announced that all scooters, etc. must be stowed inside the stateroom and that anybody who arrives with a scooter that won't fit in the room may be denied boarding.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Now that door decorations are a "safety hazard" I have to wonder how long it will be until Princess follows the new Carnival rules regarding mobility scooters. They announced that all scooters, etc. must be stowed inside the stateroom and that anybody who arrives with a scooter that won't fit in the room may be denied boarding.

Music to my ears.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

Oh, my goodness I just love your attitude.  Please spread it around to others not as gracious as you.  Thank you!

What a wonderful compliment my friend.  You are too sweet 🥰😘

• Thanks 1

Just now, 555 said:

Well, thanks for the update.

Not that we go crazy with any decorations but it's nice to know we can still put something on the door. It makes it so easy to spot without having to look at cabin numbers. 

Door decorations are still officially banned but we'll try again on the Emerald next month.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

Door decorations are still officially banned but we'll try again on the Emerald next month.

I'm still bringing mine and if they take them down, so be it.

No big loss. 

• Like 1

Just now, Mike07 said:

Plead ignorance

Trust me I will.  I even raised the issue in my current situation when I asked "How can I be expected to comply with a policy that is not disclosed in advance and is against a practice which has been in place for many years and even encouraged?"

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

Trust me I will.  I even raised the issue in my current situation when I asked "How can I be expected to comply with a policy that is not disclosed in advance and is against a practice which has been in place for many years and even encouraged?"

It's not like they are going to disembark someone over a door decoration that is simply removed and disposed of or taken inside the cabin.  But once informed, I am sure the practice is expected to not recur.

• Like 2

Just now, Steelers36 said:

It's not like they are going to disembark someone over a door decoration that is simply removed and disposed of or taken inside the cabin.  But once informed, I am sure the practice is expected to not recur.

Our neighbors refused to take theirs down . . .

15 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

Our neighbors refused to take theirs down . . .

Oooooo.... well that could be problematic.  I guess the ship can give them a deadline and then just remove it all themselves.  Personally, I just don't see the necessity of it.  I know some folks enjoy it, but if the cruise line says NO, then why rock the boat over some decor?

• Like 6