Door Decoration banned on Regal Princess

Btimmer

Posted (edited)
On 3/6/2024 at 6:03 PM, memoak said:

I would want to know what the decoration was. I have always seen decorations on doors in the past   Was there something political, religious, sexuality topic ?

On 3/6/2024 at 6:15 PM, Btimmer said:

None of the above.  It's a change in policy just being implemented without notice.  

30 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Often times, rules are made to be used as a tool only when needed.  As an example, when alcohol is prohibited in public parks.  Nobody bothers someone having a beer with your lunch at a picnic table, but when rowdy drunk groups bring a keg to a park, the rulebook gets pulled out and the drunk rowdies are told to leave.  This preserves the peaceful enjoyment of the park for others.

I didn't have time to read through 7 pages of responses, but I did not see where the OP wrote what the door decoration specifically displayed.  Does anybody know what exactly was on the door decoration?  Before anybody says I'm accusing anybody else of anything, I'm just wondering if the OP's decoration content was causing an issue for others.  I don't know.  🤷‍♂️ 

In posts #3 & #5 the OP answered that question…nothing inappropriate & was told it’s a fleetwide change due to the possibility of non-Princess signs being a fire hazard.

That reasoning has been debated & I agree with your thoughts about law enforcement sometimes being discretionary however the OP’s sign had nothing offensive. By making it fleetwide no one needs to make decisions about signs being allowed or not. Although cabin attendants would likely be responsible for enforcement & take the heat from upset passengers. Like other Princess rules (ie loungers & dress recommendations) they are not strictly enforced to not upset any passenger.

So whether the door sign prohibition is strictly enforced or not is unknown for this new policy.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

I always like putting this on my cabin door just to see the faces on some of them people when I walk by😀😀 see photo.

Tony

B6B68DCB-9A22-4609-B394-2A5444207F0C.jpeg

Tom and I would be starstruck, lurking to get a selfie and autograph! 🤩

• Haha 4

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the history of decorating cabin doors?  We have stayed in hotels for a week at a time, including all-inclusives where guests stay for long periods, and have never seen door decorations.  When we started sailing on Princess in 2007 we mostly saw the Princess provided happy birthday, anniversary, and graduation signs but in the past 15 years on many cruises there seems to be a competition for the most decorated door which means some are well done and others not so much.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know the history of decorating cabin doors?  We have stayed in hotels for a week at a time, including all-inclusives where guests stay for long periods, and have never seen door decorations.  When we started sailing on Princess in 2007 we mostly saw the Princess provided happy birthday, anniversary, and graduation signs but in the past 15 years on many cruises there seems to be a competition for the most decorated door which means some are well done and others not so much.

We always bring our old Princess signs to hang inside our cabin. I think they'll disappear if hung outside. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Does anybody know what exactly was on the door decoration?   I'm just wondering if the OP's decoration content was causing an issue for others.  I don't know.  🤷‍♂️ 

47 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

The door decoration was not in any way shape or form offensive nor were those of our neighbors.  It appears there was a zealous new crew member trying to make an impression by enforcing a little known policy in an inconsistent manner. 

44 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

In posts #3 & #5 the OP answered that question…

With all respect to @Astro Flyer, I did not get an answer to my question.  I was asking for the specific details, not a generalized opinion of the content.  Be that as it may, it is certainly the OP's prerogative to decide to not share with us what was being shared to the other passengers on Regal. 

Regarding a "zealous new crew member", it appears that a supervisor also concurred with the decision of that crew member, so I presume this can not be chalked up to inexperience.  I am thinking I have the only response I will get, so we'll just leave it at that.  

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 2

There are so many controversies around in the US, Europe, Middle East, Asia etc that I think they are smart to just make a blanket policy to avoid conflict. The same may have to apply to clothes. If someone was to wear a Russian symbol on a T shirt I will bet that would cause issues

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

With all respect to @Astro Flyer, I did not get an answer to my question.  I was asking for the specific details, not a generalized opinion of the content.  Be that as it may, it is certainly the OP's prerogative to decide to not share with us what was being shared to the other passengers on Regal. 

Regarding a "zealous new crew member", it appears that a supervisor also concurred with the decision of that crew member, so I presume this can not be chalked up to inexperience.  I am thinking I have the only response I will get, so we'll just leave it at that.  

I have read the entire post and like you on reading through the posts, I am not going to go back and confirm BUT I am fairly certain that the OP didn't specifically divulge the contents of what was displayed. 

However, I remember a safety officer disagreeing with the original "over zealous" crew member who originated the door decoration fire hazard policy.  And even though the safety officer disagreed, the OP elected to remove their decorations but a nearby neighbor refused to remove theirs.

Hope you now feel heard and answered 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cnice515 said:

I have read the entire post and like you on reading through the posts, I am not going to go back and confirm BUT I am fairly certain that the OP didn't specifically divulge the contents of what was displayed. 

However, I remember a safety officer disagreeing with the original "over zealous" crew member who originated the door decoration fire hazard policy.  And even though the safety officer disagreed, the OP elected to remove their decorations but a nearby neighbor refused to remove theirs.

Hope you now feel heard and answered 🙂

You are correct.  The content of our sign  or of our neighbors' is irrelevant to this thread.  What is relevant is that a new hire elected to enforce indiscriminately and without documentary support a previously undisclosed Princess policy which bans all signs except those approved in advance by the company. Our room attendant, a safety auditor, room supervisor and even the Front Desk personnel had no issue with door decorations.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Btimmer said:

You are correct.  The content of our sign  or of our neighbors' is irrelevant to this thread.  What is relevant is that a new hire elected to enforce indiscriminately and without documentary support a previously undisclosed Princess policy which bans all signs except those approved in advance by the company. Our room attendant, a safety auditor, room supervisor and even the Front Desk personnel had no issue with door decorations.

perhaps you should request that this thread now be closed to prevent further 

edit: and we do enjoy decorating our door 🤔

Edited by voljeep
  • Like 2