So Far Carnival is Winning vs NCL

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

People really think they are free.  They are not,  NCL advertises it as free.  Carnival does not advertise breakfast cabin service, apples and oranges.  

I mean....it is called FREE AT SEA 🤪

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, aborgman said:

Which has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not they are gratuities or service charges.

It has everything to do with the bottom line which seems to be the topic.

6 hours ago, aborgman said:

Of course it isn't free.

Neither are all the things every other cruise line, all inclusive land resort, hotel, airline, etc. call "free".

It's marketing short hand for "included", and used by basically every marketing department in every industry.

I mean... when Carnival says "Free cabin service for breakfast" they mean included. When Holiday Inn says "Free Continental Breakfast" they mean included.

Holiday Inn doesn't charge a gratuity before your stay for breakfast. Or a service charge. Whichever you prefer.

41 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Holiday Inn doesn't charge a gratuity before your stay for breakfast. Or a service charge. Whichever you prefer.

Holiday Inn doesn't charge you anything before your stay for anything. They charge you for everything after your stay. I don't even remember the last time I had to put down any deposit on a hotel room.

Holiday Inn doesn't charge a gratuity before you stay, Carnival doesn't charge a gratuity before you stay, and NCL doesn't charge a gratuity before you stay.

Carnival and NCL both charge you before you stay, but they aren't gratuities.

25 minutes ago, aborgman said:

Holiday Inn doesn't charge you anything before your stay for anything. They charge you for everything after your stay. I don't even remember the last time I had to put down any deposit on a hotel room.

Holiday Inn doesn't charge a gratuity before you stay, Carnival doesn't charge a gratuity before you stay, and NCL doesn't charge a gratuity before you stay.

Carnival and NCL both charge you before you stay, but they aren't gratuities.

Many hotels, including IHG offer advance purchase rates, which are designed for the cheapest people. So Holiday Inn charges a gratuity after a stay? Which one?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Neither will NCL if you uncheck the box.

ncl1.thumb.jpg.c2a17dab1d5f31c95bf16276b

ncl2.thumb.jpg.69273206d8adc24b9538d3dbe

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

Neither will NCL if you uncheck the box.

NCL will still bake the cost into your rate whether you eat or not. as does Holiday Inn..

Edited by BlerkOne

Isn't free, phony baloney, tomato tuhmato, yada yada. Are we really still going on and on over semantics?

All these technicalities, some people just can't accept not having the last word, and must fight tooth and nail to ensure their opinion and assessment alone drowns out everything else. 

It's clear some users should probably get outside and touch grass more, and maybe take a break from the cruise boards for an hour or two. Or a day. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, bg2310 said:

Isn't free, phony baloney, tomato tuhmato, yada yada. Are we really still going on and on over semantics?

All these technicalities, some people just can't accept not having the last word, and must fight tooth and nail to ensure their opinion and assessment alone drowns out everything else. 

It's clear some users should probably get outside and touch grass more, and maybe take a break from the cruise boards for an hour or two. Or a day. 🤷‍♂️

Why are you trying to put Cruise Critic out of business?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BlerkOne said:

Many hotels, including IHG offer advance purchase rates, which are designed for the cheapest people. So Holiday Inn charges a gratuity after a stay? Which one?

The cheapest people? Wow I guess that's one way of looking at it. I always thought when I booked in advance and got a discount it was because the rate was non refundable not because I was cheap😮

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bg2310 said:

Yup bout sums it up.... again🥱

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LatinaInTexas said:

The cheapest people? Wow I guess that's one way of looking at it. I always thought when I booked in advance and got a discount it was because the rate was non refundable not because I was cheap😮

Semantics. 🙂

The point is/was, anything included, you have already paid for before you arrive, whether you use/eat/whatever it or not. No check box required.

5 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Semantics. 🙂

The point is/was, anything included, you have already paid for before you arrive, whether you use/eat/whatever it or not. No check box required.

Well you could have just said that. Mentioning the poorest people had me thinking that perhaps the CEO of IHG had put it out there that they had come up with a brilliant, genius marketing plan that would make the cheapest people think they were getting something for nothing🧐

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LatinaInTexas said:

Well you could have just said that. Mentioning the poorest people had me thinking that perhaps the CEO of IHG had put it out there that they had come up with a brilliant, genius marketing plan that would make the cheapest people think they were getting something for nothing🧐

Typo.... You did not say poorest, you said cheapest.

22 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Semantics. 🙂

I think your statement was more than just semantics. Might I suggest reading IHGs views on Social Justice and diversity? It's right there on their web page. 

1 minute ago, LatinaInTexas said:

I think your statement was more than just semantics. Might I suggest reading IHGs views on Social Justice and diversity? It's right there on their web page. 

Perhaps you could just provide an executive summary?

2 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

Perhaps you could just provide an executive summary?

It's an interesting read. I learned from it. I'm always trying to learn. It was just a suggestion that felt appropriate at the moment.

OK the SIMPLE answer is...

Compare prices of the cruises you want, with the perks you want.

If you end up cruising more, you may find certain lines/ships/perks/itineraries are preferable to you, and you might pay more for those you prefer.

Or you may prefer to spend less & cruise more.

Or as with us, you might start spending less...and as time goes by, you may shift your priorities. And those priorities might even shift cruise by cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KKB said:

If you end up cruising more, you may find certain lines/ships/perks/itineraries are preferable to you, and you might pay more for those you prefer.

Or as with us, you might start spending less...and as time goes by, you may shift your priorities. And those priorities might even shift cruise by cruise!

If you are going to start adding common sense and logic to the discussions, then this thread will unravel in a heartbeat.

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, KKB said:

...and as time goes by, you may shift your priorities. And those priorities might even shift cruise by cruise!

I admit I start with date and price. I went to a site I cant name which shows prices. Fall 2025 ncl joy and some princess cruise came up the least out of PC. I've done 3 of each of these. I'm a idk.

Maybe I'll do more last minute cruises. I'm assuming ncl joy is older from the price.

I just want to cruise. I think carnival lines in general have the best last minute prices. It doesnt make a difference what you call tips. Just get me on the ship without me taking out a bank loan. Let me stay on as long as possible even better.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I admit I start with date and price. I went to a site I cant name which shows prices. Fall 2025 ncl joy and some princess cruise came up the least out of PC. I've done 3 of each of these. I'm a idk.

Maybe I'll do more last minute cruises. I'm assuming ncl joy is older from the price.

I just want to cruise. I think carnival lines in general have the best last minute prices. It doesnt make a difference what you call tips. Just get me on the ship without me taking out a bank loan. Let me stay on as long as possible even better.

Fair. I very much attempt to squeeze every penny out of every dollar we make.

I've just learned as I've gotten older there are things I don't mind paying for.

Helps that my budget allows a little more wiggle room than 20 years ago.

Actually the Joy isn't an older ship--just 7 years old, Breakaway Plus class.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I'm assuming ncl joy is older from the price.

Joy is breakaway+ class. It launched in 2017.

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/Joy?cid=PS_DIG_NA_BRP_GOO_NA_NA_NA_NA_NA_NAM&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwncWvBhD_ARIsAEb2HW_IM8j6lzEfNXwhe-07YWjGzmkp1Gk7bdad_cEtqgMsM9L7YxkjiecaAp1XEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by Saint Greg

4 hours ago, KKB said:

My philosophy is if you see a cruise you like, book it. Don't sweat the small stuff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BlerkOne said:

My philosophy is if you see a cruise you like, book it. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Used to be my attitude.

Then I tried MSC...even after I read the reviews (which I always take with a grain of salt but when you see a pattern, then pay attention)

It is a great price point. I saw places I've never been. Crew was great. 

But both in the Caribbean & Europe (B2B each...so essetially 4 cruises), the vast lack of common courtesy by far too many passengers was astounding. Don't get me wrong--if you travel w/ the masses (as most of us do), there will be jerks along the way. There were just MANY jerks. On every cruise! (with 2 entirely different demographics). I could only attest it to a culture that seems to belong to MSC. (and yes, that was the complaint pattern in the reviews).

(40+ cruises over 20 years on most mainstream lines under my belt, so plenty to compare to)

I decided I'd rather pay a bit more for other lines.