LIVE from the SUN Princess - 9 Mar 2024 - 10-Day Mediterranean - Second Voyage

13 hours ago, CanadianBurger said:

I don’t know if it was being so far aft combined with the wind and seas, but the excessive rolling side-to-side motion was enough to overcome both bonine and her sea wristbands.

This has been a concern of mine since the first day that I saw the deck plan.  On our very first Princess Cruise we dined at Sabatini's on Crown, which is all the way aft.  The ship's vibration was so bad that our water and wine glasses shook throughout the meal as if a dinosaur from Jurassic Park was thundering toward us and we could detect the ship's movement far more than we cared for.  Since that day we vowed to never stay in a cabin that far back and avoid dining venues in that area.  On Sun, it looks like it is impossible to avoid that unless dining everywhere except the MDR.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, JimmyVWine said:

This has been a concern of mine since the first day that I saw the deck plan.  On our very first Princess Cruise we dined at Sabatini's on Crown, which is all the way aft.  The ship's vibration was so bad that our water and wine glasses shook throughout the meal as if a dinosaur from Jurassic Park was thundering toward us and we could detect the ship's movement far more than we cared for.  Since that day we vowed to never stay in a cabin that far back and avoid dining venues in that area.  On Sun, it looks like it is impossible to avoid that unless dining everywhere except the MDR.   

There’s no vibration like on other ships. It’s very smooth. There was just a lot of rolling motion. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We are booked on the Sun Princess, deck 10 in the sphere, for this fall.  On the first Sun cruise there were some complaints registered about the noise level from the piazza for staterooms in the sphere on deck 10.  Is this still an issue or have the loud events been moved to another venue?

Here’s the deal with Coffee & Cones. The premium soft serve and the Granitas ARE COMPLIMENTARY for Plus package guests, they just count towards the two premium desserts per day. This is wonderful, as one of those sundae monstrosities is enough for the whole cruise! The lemon granita is quite flavorful. 

Here’s the BUT… the premium soft serve isn’t working. So deck 9 is the soft serve spot. 

IMG_2712.thumb.jpeg.3a2dbbfe3b7a56067095989e3b1daa8e.jpeg

IMG_2713.thumb.jpeg.9a93b86f2a92fcbfd6611afd0d9a4fa7.jpeg

IMG_2715.thumb.jpeg.8878927674651aecfd2633d76f6c8820.jpeg

• Like 12

Posted (edited)

Absolutely loving the forward area of Deck 17. It’s nice being able to sit in a lounger and see forward without paying for the Sanctuary. (Royal class ships have no view forward other than the Sanctuary and the forward cabins). I’m stunned how smooth the ship feels here, and at the complete lack of wind. As a matter of fact, there’s no wind anywhere today. We must be on the same heading and speed as the wind. 

IMG_2716.thumb.jpeg.cbfe897e843976b06ba81b37f0ebfbda.jpeg

Edited by CanadianBurger
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

This is a great Thread! THANK YOU for all of this fantastic info. If you have a chance to get to the Sanctuary on Sun could you inquire about the cost of the Cabanas up there? I'm hearing conflicting reports. If there is any pricing info or directions on how Sanctuary works on this ship compared to others I'd love to hear it. Also, RE Main Dining Room's 3 floors, is one floor more "Formal" in their appearance than another or are they all the same? I know you're in the REserve more but if you have any insight ti would be most appreciated. ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RMorningglory said:

This is a great Thread! THANK YOU for all of this fantastic info. If you have a chance to get to the Sanctuary on Sun could you inquire about the cost of the Cabanas up there? I'm hearing conflicting reports. If there is any pricing info or directions on how Sanctuary works on this ship compared to others I'd love to hear it. Also, RE Main Dining Room's 3 floors, is one floor more "Formal" in their appearance than another or are they all the same? I know you're in the REserve more but if you have any insight ti would be most appreciated. ENJOY YOUR CRUISE!!!

I did go up to the Sanctuary today, but I wanted to verify the information I got before posting. Let’s just say it’s different…

No “formality” difference between the floors, just that 6 is more like traditional with two seatings, 7 is anytime, and 8 is the American Diner (menu posted earlier) which is supposedly more of an “express” scenario. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, PacnGoNow said:

No tea?  That’s sad.  I sure hope they have Elite tea still.

No afternoon tea would be a huge disappointment for me. It’s one of the things I love about our Princess cruises. I really hope they don’t extend that to other ships. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, CanadianBurger said:

...  and 8 is the American Diner (menu posted earlier) which is supposedly more of an “express” scenario. 

Unless you go after the early breakfast hours and order an omelette!!!!  😮

I know there has been far too much talk about the Sanctuary...  I wish they would get this 'ironed out' and make all the details clear...

Those dual lounger/seats look ingenious for this venue!!!

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, CanadianBurger said:

Learned today that on sea days, the buffet area at Butcher’s Block and Catch have breakfast items until noon, including eggs fried to order!

IMG_2665.thumb.jpeg.751c1a07d2d3606845006465100b6dd0.jpeg

IMG_2666.thumb.jpeg.feebd9413485e4a920372ddc1737d47a.jpeg

IMG_2663.thumb.jpeg.ddffbe9a7c1d024c6978be0234cbbd17.jpeg

IMG_2664.thumb.jpeg.a5c0200dd3da9ea842842fa7d3815103.jpeg

IMG_2667.thumb.jpeg.b8d6cb39bf43ccd31ea2692991be357e.jpeg

IMG_2668.thumb.jpeg.3865cc222ad9001f7e0582cd35bc3e40.jpeg

IMG_2669.thumb.jpeg.bd7fdc2d8e98e74ad3b7b2fb6edb988b.jpeg

Is this free/included for all passengers or only for Reserve or Elite folks?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CanadianBurger said:

, and 8 is the American Diner (menu posted earlier) which is supposedly more of an “express” scenario. 

Having American Diner deck 8, might be nice to have once in awhile.  Do you have to have a reservation or can you walk up?

On 3/10/2024 at 5:47 AM, CanadianBurger said:

A note for people using the smart elevators. The system (which is called “destination dispatch”) is supposed to assign cars based on the number of people going to specific floors. That means if you’re a party of four, you need to press the floor you want to go to four times, so the elevators know how many people are waiting. The system knows roughly how many people are aboard each car (by weight) and will assess capacity and dispatch cars accordingly. There were lots of elevators stopping with room for one when there was a gaggle of people waiting. There’s also an accessible button, so the system will send a car with more available space, so if you’re on a scooter or similar, please use that button. 

Might get some extra steps in.

52 minutes ago, CanadianBurger said:

I did go up to the Sanctuary today, but I wanted to verify the information I got before posting. Let’s just say it’s different…

This sounds rather ominous.  To be fair, though, the pictures I have seen so far have already given me a lot of cause for concern.  It’s not just the cheap loungers and the lack of shade that I am worried about, either, as those things can be easily fixed.  My biggest worry is that there are no longer going to be dedicated lounge chairs for paying guests, including suite guests.  That kind of defeats the purpose of paying $99/day, and it would absolutely nullify any benefit from having a “private area of the Sanctuary” if you are a suite guest who goes up to the Signature Sun Deck only to find there are no chairs available.  The ship really does look beautiful and modern, and I am withholding judgment until I hear more, but so far The Sanctuary situation is shaping up to be a major fail.  I anxiously await your report, @CanadianBurger, and thanks again for all the great information and fantastic photos! 

• Like 6