LIVE from the Discovery Princess: California Coastal, March 9 -16 ... A Princess/Celebrity Comparison

13 hours ago, cali-croozer said:

Hi there. We're in a similar room on our next cruise. Regarding outlets,  are there just the 2 at the desk. We are trying to figure out where we will plug in my husband's cpap.  Thanks, in advance. Enjoying the post. 

You may find there’s a “secret” outlet right under the bed. If the bed is split as 2 singles it’s more accessible. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gardengalaz said:

simply too many people crammed into too little space.

You might research a different class of Princess ship. The Coral or Grand classes. There’s some pros and cons to both. But you might find a better fit there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, TrixieBel said:

You may find there’s a “secret” outlet right under the bed. If the bed is split as 2 singles it’s more accessible. 

On many cruises we find I have to run my personal extension cord behind the pillows in suites it depends which side the desk is

19 hours ago, startedwithamouse said:

Cole was supposed to leave the end of February, but was extended because Kristoff was needed on Majestic. I'm the one who gathered this information and posted on the aforementioned chart. 

Cole is great!  Remember folks, he loves his TimTams but recently learned he is trying to keep some pounds off.  

• Haha 2

SB_DiscoveryPrincesss.png.814fd555fcaf8c217bf0a933709877de.png

Spotted Discovery Princess this morning from where I work in Santa Barbara.  Someone I know had just been on her for a cruise in February and was telling me all about her.  I'm on the Majestic in August up in Alaska (which is a first time Princess cruise for me ... although not my first cruise rodeo)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

gardengalaz…did you notice if wine packages were offered?

I’ve read reports from a few ships they were available but don’t know if it’s available on Discovery.

I would love to know as well.  

• Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 9:39 AM, TrixieBel said:

I found two of these European sockets under the head of the bed & next to both nightstands on Sky when in a queen configuration…could use a US adapter to plug in dual current electric items.

image.thumb.jpeg.c507ffc2240cd79ee32f65ad802089bf.jpeg

• Like 2

On 3/12/2024 at 10:51 PM, gardengalaz said:

the food, service and entertainment on board are absolutely fantastic, but I genuinely hate this ship.  It's poorly designed, cramped, crowded, congested ...

I completely agree. Will not sail this ship again - it is poorly designed and feels crowded. Had a very similar Crown Grill experience with a mariachi band right beside our group of 7 celebrating a birthday with a splurge specialty dining. Untenable. Couldn’t hear ourselves think nor each other nor the poor waiter. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2024 at 3:16 PM, Astro Flyer said:

gardengalaz…did you notice if wine packages were offered?

I’ve read reports from a few ships they were available but don’t know if it’s available on Discovery.

I checked with a good friend of mine that is currently on the Discovery and no, they are not available at this time.  However, he did tell me that the sommelier is the one to choose wines that go into the package and when to sell it.  Sounds like when they have an abundance of certain wines, they sell the packages to lower the inventory of those particular bottles.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

I checked with a good friend of mine that is currently on the Discovery and no, they are not available at this time.  However, he did tell me that the sommelier is the one to choose wines that go into the package and when to sell it.  Sounds like when they have an abundance of certain wines, they sell the packages to lower the inventory of those particular bottles.  

Disappointing…such inconsistency of not knowing if it’s available or not is not good when making a decision whether to purchase wine onboard or to carryon wine which I will do instead of waiting for them to decide whether to offer it or not. It appears to me that your thoughts about when a wine package is offered would be true & a way for Princess to sell excess inventory however that uncertainty is not good for their passengers.

7 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Disappointing…such inconsistency of not knowing if it’s available or not is not good when making a decision whether to purchase wine onboard or to carryon wine which I will do instead of waiting for them to decide whether to offer it or not. It appears to me that your thoughts about when a wine package is offered would be true & a way for Princess to sell excess inventory however that uncertainty is not good for their passengers.

Exactly my thoughts on it, too.  We love good wine and so mostly book the premier package but even with that, on the Diamond Princess, even with the premier package, it was hard to get a great wine, unless we bought it by the borrow.  It kind of defeats the purpose of getting the beverage package.  The wine bottle packages were a welcome benefit but, if they aren’t consistently available, then it doesn’t do us much good.  Anyway, we bought two one case wine carriers on wheels so may consider taking our own wine when traveling out of our home port and just paying the corkage instead of getting the package.  

4 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Exactly my thoughts on it, too.  We love good wine and so mostly book the premier package but even with that, on the Diamond Princess, even with the premier package, it was hard to get a great wine, unless we bought it by the borrow.  It kind of defeats the purpose of getting the beverage package.  The wine bottle packages were a welcome benefit but, if they aren’t consistently available, then it doesn’t do us much good.  Anyway, we bought two one case wine carriers on wheels so may consider taking our own wine when traveling out of our home port and just paying the corkage instead of getting the package.  

Agree…Such inconsistency fleetwide on having wine packages available is likely the reason they were unsuccessful when offered before the pandemic. They never promoted it on their website & frequently had little to no promotion onboard…their management’s policies were not how to have a successful wine package.

Celebrity promotes wine packages with different number of bottle options which we purchased even from our homeport because the difference between carrying on wine to pay corkage & the package it was worthwhile for us to buy the package with a discount by purchasing in advance & as I recall could use OBC to pay for it. And when flying to a port that convenience is even more of a factor for us.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Agree…Such inconsistency fleetwide on having wine packages available is likely the reason they were unsuccessful when offered before the pandemic. They never promoted it on their website & frequently had little to no promotion onboard…their management’s policies were not how to have a successful wine package.

Celebrity promotes wine packages with different number of bottle options which we purchased even from our homeport because the difference between carrying on wine to pay corkage & the package it was worthwhile for us to buy the package with a discount by purchasing in advance & as I recall could use OBC to pay for it. And when flying to a port that convenience is even more of a factor for us.

That is exactly what we did, as well, even in our home port, as it was just so convenient.  Plus, I could get the bottles I wanted vs what was included in the package, like one Princess ship offered recently.  
The only caveat to those packages is that they were only made available on a cruise of 10 days or more but, we ended up getting it on some 7 day cruises, too.  

I think now, they are really more interesting in selling the plus or premier packages.  Generally, they work for us but not if they don’t have any decent wine to available by the glass board.  It really is sometimes just like a game of chance.  

To complicate our decision even more, the premier package has more value on the ships with a few casual dining options.  It’s worth a lot more to us on the Royal Class than on the Crown class ships.  

• Like 1

On 3/11/2024 at 10:00 AM, EDDY0827 said:

IIRC, each seat has a folding table top that deploys out of the right arm rest. I don't know if this is true for all ships in the fleet.

There are these tables on the Discovery....  Also,  as to the ship's layout, you could have checked the deck plans beforehand. You could have known where the gym was.