Sun Princess Sanctuary Discussion

52 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

I have sailed in The Retreat on Celebrity Edge class, MSC Yacht Club and NCL’s Haven. No, none of them allow you to reserve seating (except for cabanas on MSC…not sure if NCL is doing that yet…my last cruise with them was 2018). 

As of last year, NCL still wasn’t doing reservations for Haven cabanas, so the hogs were out in force.  I really hope they change this.  That said, aside from the cabanas, there were plenty of lounge chairs available. I think there will be plenty of lounge chairs available for Signature Collection suite passengers on the Sun, too…as long as the ENTIRE THING is converted to a suite-only space…not just the Signature Sun Deck.  But that will mean no adults-only relaxation space at all for non-suite passengers.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, cr2000 said:

Agreed. I don't see young kids having any interest in The Sanctuary, but I could foresee the scenario where mom and dad are relaxing in The Sanctuary while their teenager(s) are off doing an activity with a couple friends. Then at some point they want to meet back up and that teenager would like to stop back and talk with mom or dad but is precluded from entering the Sanctuary under the current rules. I think a lot of people that travel with families and pay a premium for a suite will be disappointed that they can't use this amenity because their children aren't allowed to enter that area even just to check in and say hi. 

Those teenagers can message Mom or Dad via the Medallion.

(And really, if they just want to stop by to check in for a second with their parents I'm sure that would be fine.)

The problem is more with younger kids who, if they aren't interested in the kid's club can't roam the ship on their own.

When the Sanctuary didn't have a pool there would have been nothing for those kids to do there but now it does. If I booked a suite with my kids I'd expect they could be there. I love kids but a couple of loud kids in the pool would really ruin the atmosphere.

Edited by chamima
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, HBCcruiser said:

Yes, I am aware. I sail in the Haven quite often. The question was whether NCL, (or other lines) have reserved loungers for passengers, or if there are issues with lounger saving in their secluded suite areas. I’ve never had an issue finding a lounger in the Haven, have you? 

No, I agree, there’s no issue getting a nice chair in the Haven.  But I feel like it is more similar in size to the entire Sanctuary on Sun Princess, not just the Signature Sun Deck. So far, Princess hasn’t really committed to making the Sanctuary a suites-only space, but if they do at least the issue of having adequate space available will be solved. If Sanctuary was to become a suite-only space, I could also see Princess converting the Signature Sun Deck side to adults-only and allowing families in the other portion; that would more closely mirror the Haven concept.  BTW, I am glad Princess is requiring cabana reservations in the Sanctuary.  It will eliminate cabana hogs.  They definitely got that part right.  

Edited by CatMom72
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 6:54 PM, CanadianBurger said:

Sun Princess Sanctuary Menus

IMG_2859.thumb.jpeg.6530e724a80c070f5b218db0cced9290.jpeg

IMG_2860.thumb.jpeg.53c61066407f2f825a407933278de9ad.jpeg

Sir,would you by chance have a pic of the regular bar menu ..Trying to decide between Plus or Premier

Thanks

10 minutes ago, CatMom72 said:

As of last year, NCL still wasn’t doing reservations for Haven cabanas, so the hogs were out in force.  I really hope they change this.  That said, aside from the cabanas, there were plenty of lounge chairs available. I think there will be plenty of lounge chairs available for Signature Collection suite passengers on the Sun, too…as long as the ENTIRE THING is converted to a suite-only space…not just the Signature Sun Deck.  But that will mean no adults-only relaxation space at all for non-suite passengers.

It has already been stated here multiple times based on information received from the Sanctuary manager on board Sun that suites are the priority guests for the ENTIRE Sanctuary. They will only let it in paying guests on days where it looks like suite guests are not fully utilizing the deck. If you are a suite guest that should alleviate your concerns as the space was designed to accommodate all suite guests (based on total seating) and as we know not every suite guest utilizes an included sun deck or lounge space every day. Not sure why, if you are a suite guest, you would be concerned about whether non-suite guests have an adults only space. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cr2000 said:

Agreed. I don't see young kids having any interest in The Sanctuary, but I could foresee the scenario where mom and dad are relaxing in The Sanctuary while their teenager(s) are off doing an activity with a couple friends. Then at some point they want to meet back up and that teenager would like to stop back and talk with mom or dad but is precluded from entering the Sanctuary under the current rules. I think a lot of people that travel with families and pay a premium for a suite will be disappointed that they can't use this amenity because their children aren't allowed to enter that area even just to check in and say hi. 

I seriously doubt a Sanctuary employee/manager is going to prevent a teen from coming in to check in with parents for a few minutes before heading off to do something else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WonderMan3 said:

Not sure why, if you are a suite guest, you would be concerned about whether non-suite guests have an adults only space.

For me, the concern is there can be no or little opportunity for non-Signature guests to access the Sanctuary if they were happy with the cost, the sunshine and a non-padded lounger.  Or, even if those things were fixed (shade and pads).

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Not sure why, if you are a suite guest, you would be concerned about whether non-suite guests have an adults only space.

First, if non-suite guests have their own adults-only space then I won’t have to worry about how/when Princess will determine whether they are going to limit my seating options on any given day by selling day passes in the Sanctuary.

Second, if the Sanctuary really does wind up being an official (or de facto) adults-only, suites-only area, it will limit my future opinions for cruising on Sun Princess or other ships like it.  Sure, I am in S4 for both cruises I have booked on the Sun, but what if I wanted to explore more affordable options in the future?  Knowing I will never have access to any adults-only space unless I buy a suite would definitely limit my options, and I might be less likely to choose the Sun.

I am definitely excited to be on the Sun Princess for the two cruises I have booked.  But at first glance, there are some things that are concerning to me, particularly given that there have been some major departures not only from what Princess has done in the past, but also from what Princess has advertised about this ship.  There are many mixed messages about the Sanctuary, mostly because it seems like Princess is still on the fence about whether it is really going to be suite-only or not.  Right now, they are talking out of both sides of their mouths.  As a graduate of the Mr. Miyagi school of decision-making, this greatly annoys me.  As Mr. Miyagi once said, walk down road left side, okay; walk down road right side, okay; walk down middle, sooner or later…squish, just like grape.

I don’t think there’s anything particularly unreasonable about my point-of-view. The whole point of discussing my concerns on these boards is to get feedback from people who are on the ship ahead of me and see if I can learn anything that might alleviate those concerns.  So far, no dice on the Sanctuary questions.

• Like 4

A lot of time here spent discussing adult only spaces and access to chairs in The Sanctuary, but on a more practical level, on a Mediterranean cruise, isn't the focus really on exploring the historic ports of call? I could see perhaps in the Carribean spending more time lounging by a pool, but if I'm cruising the Mediterranean (where the Sun Princess is now), I'm viewing the ship as nothing more than a place to sleep, eat and maybe enjoy some evening entertainment and breakfast the following morning. Typically the number of sea days is limited.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, CatMom72 said:

As a graduate of the Mr. Miyagi school of decision-making, this greatly annoys me.  As Mr. Miyagi once said, walk down road left side, okay; walk down road right side, okay; walk down middle, sooner or later…squish, just like grape.

You just brought me back lol! 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, CatMom72 said:

There are many mixed messages about the Sanctuary, mostly because it seems like Princess is still on the fence about whether it is really going to be suite-only or not.  Right now, they are talking out of both sides of their mouths.  As a graduate of the Mr. Miyagi school of decision-making, this greatly annoys me.  As Mr. Miyagi once said, walk down road left side, okay; walk down road right side, okay; walk down middle, sooner or later…squish, just like grape.

"Squish like grape."   Love this!!!   I totally agree.  Those who are saying that this discussion is just 'whiners'...  'go. cruise elsewhere', etc...  are totally missing the point.  And that isn't a positive or even acceptable response.

I had said earlier that Princess has NOT been transparent about this.  And they still aren't.   That is the reason for all of this discussion and possible disappointment.  Not 'us'.   Trying to follow this and figure it out, as well as being disappointed if one of the biggest venues/priorities, for us, on a Princess ship ( or any ship) is the Sanctuary as an adult only 'retreat' - that is valid.

The deck plans, from the very very beginning, have shown BOTH a sanctuary and a Suite area.  There is an actual bar/gate separating these areas.   Which I also believe they could now use to have small 'adult' area' and also a family suite area.  

And, make no mistake...  a bar-gate is not necessary for that...  That was not the purpose of having that there.   Signage and the Sanctuary staff should be adequate.

Princess, once again, in all of it's wisdom has made some mistakes here... And they are trying to back-peddle, big time.

I am willing to be patient and watch to see what unfolds - as we will not be on the Sun in the near future...  

But I,  and hopefully many others here, are quick to comment because we want to know that Princess does hear all of this.   (there is some indication that there are 'suites' onboard and that this CC board might also be seen.)

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CatMom72 said:

First, if non-suite guests have their own adults-only space then I won’t have to worry about how/when Princess will determine whether they are going to limit my seating options on any given day by selling day passes in the Sanctuary.

Second, if the Sanctuary really does wind up being an official (or de facto) adults-only, suites-only area, it will limit my future opinions for cruising on Sun Princess or other ships like it.  Sure, I am in S4 for both cruises I have booked on the Sun, but what if I wanted to explore more affordable options in the future?  Knowing I will never have access to any adults-only space unless I buy a suite would definitely limit my options, and I might be less likely to choose the Sun.

I am definitely excited to be on the Sun Princess for the two cruises I have booked.  But at first glance, there are some things that are concerning to me, particularly given that there have been some major departures not only from what Princess has done in the past, but also from what Princess has advertised about this ship.  There are many mixed messages about the Sanctuary, mostly because it seems like Princess is still on the fence about whether it is really going to be suite-only or not.  Right now, they are talking out of both sides of their mouths.  As a graduate of the Mr. Miyagi school of decision-making, this greatly annoys me.  As Mr. Miyagi once said, walk down road left side, okay; walk down road right side, okay; walk down middle, sooner or later…squish, just like grape.

I don’t think there’s anything particularly unreasonable about my point-of-view. The whole point of discussing my concerns on these boards is to get feedback from people who are on the ship ahead of me and see if I can learn anything that might alleviate those concerns.  So far, no dice on the Sanctuary questions.

Yes, you have made your concerns quite clear from basically your first post on the subject. That’s the point of these forums for us to share our points of view. But what is productive about complaining here about same the issue again and again though when none of us has the power to change anything? 

You know what the situation is onboard now that we have gotten information straight from the Sanctuary manager (via someone onboard now) so if it is not acceptable to you and you feel it would ruin your cruise then pick another ship that works better for you. Or even better contact Princess directly with your concerns. Then changes might be made in time to impact your cruise. I have seen multiple times where cruisers have complained loudly and often directly to the cruise line and the company has backed off from changes (examples: Celebrity cutting back on buffet options or eliminating individual butlers in Sky Suites)

I avoid ships that don’t have the amenities I’m looking for. I pay a lot of money to cruise, so

why would I want to put myself in a position to go on a ship that’s just going to make me unhappy because it’s missing amenities that are important to me? 

Edited by WonderMan3
  • Like 1

Not that Princess asked my opinion, but here it is anyway.  Make the Sanctuary a suite only adult area and build it out to actually be a sanctuary with all padded loungers, proper shade/privacy, and  greenery.  Remove excess loungers to provide separation between sets of loungers as they do on Grand and Royal class ships.  I think there will be enough loungers to not have to worry about reserving specific ones.   Allow suite guests to book the cabanas prior to embarkation and after final payment if they are not yet sold out, open it up to non-suite passengers to book, also prior to embarkation.  Make the dome/Sea View area adult only during the day but of course allow children for the nightly shows.  Now the kicker, also make the Wake View area adult only.  The kids have the Lido deck pools and hot tubs, kid clubs, and Park 19 all at their disposal. This will allow us older passengers (such as myself) to still have the Princess upscale experience while catering to multi-generational families as well.  Just my humble opinion.....if this doesn't work, then beef up the amenities for kids on the sphere class ships so us old farts can cruise in peace on the older ships.

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, MTNest93 said:

Not that Princess asked my opinion, but here it is anyway.  Make the Sanctuary a suite only adult area and build it out to actually be a sanctuary with all padded loungers, proper shade/privacy, and  greenery.  Remove excess loungers to provide separation between sets of loungers as they do on Grand and Royal class ships.  I think there will be enough loungers to not have to worry about reserving specific ones.   Allow suite guests to book the cabanas prior to embarkation and after final payment if they are not yet sold out, open it up to non-suite passengers to book, also prior to embarkation.  Make the dome/Sea View area adult only during the day but of course allow children for the nightly shows.  Now the kicker, also make the Wake View area adult only.  The kids have the Lido deck pools and hot tubs, kid clubs, and Park 19 all at their disposal. This will allow us older passengers (such as myself) to still have the Princess upscale experience while catering to multi-generational families as well.  Just my humble opinion.....if this doesn't work, then beef up the amenities for kids on the sphere class ships so us old farts can cruise in peace on the older ships.

Exactly. This would be a better system for everyone.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MTNest93 said:

You'd be happier on Holland America or Virgin. The cruise industry is changing towards a more family focused demographic, they are just following the demand (and money).

3 minutes ago, cr2000 said:

You'd be happier on Holland America or Virgin. The cruise industry is changing towards a more family focused demographic, they are just following the demand (and money).

NCL and RCCL are both much more family-oriented than Princess and they both have systems more akin to what @MTNest93 describes. As both of those lines demonstrate, it is possible to design a ship that pleases demographics at both ends of the spectrum (flashy, adventure-packed and family-oriented vs. quiet, sophisticated, and adults-only).  Time will tell whether or not Princess has built a ship that can succeed in that endeavor. I’m not sure the Sun is it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

I seriously doubt a Sanctuary employee/manager is going to prevent a teen from coming in to check in with parents for a few minutes before heading off to do something else.

I have asked seen the Sanctuary manager come and explain to the parents that their young teens unfortunately had to leave, so it does happen. The family simply  took their conversation outside. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

I have asked seen the Sanctuary manager come and explain to the parents that their young teens unfortunately had to leave, so it does happen. The family simply  took their conversation outside. 

And I think that is a BIG issue. With Park 19 this ship is geared towards families, to deny and separate those families paying a large premium in a signature suite is going to be problematic imo. They have to figure this out.

3 hours ago, cr2000 said:

A lot of time here spent discussing adult only spaces and access to chairs in The Sanctuary, but on a more practical level, on a Mediterranean cruise, isn't the focus really on exploring the historic ports of call? I could see perhaps in the Carribean spending more time lounging by a pool, but if I'm cruising the Mediterranean (where the Sun Princess is now), I'm viewing the ship as nothing more than a place to sleep, eat and maybe enjoy some evening entertainment and breakfast the following morning. Typically the number of sea days is limited.

That is exactly why we are not cruising MSC YC in the Med.   We never wanted to leave the YC.   We are in a suite on the Sun Princess and will use the Sanctuary when we have time.

25 minutes ago, cr2000 said:

And I think that is a BIG issue. With Park 19 this ship is geared towards families, to deny and separate those families paying a large premium in a signature suite is going to be problematic imo. They have to figure this out.

I think this can be solved by listing this Signature amenity as  "Access to the Adults-Only Sanctuary for Signaure Suite guests 16+"  Guests can choose to book, or not, knowing what they are getting.  As mentioned several times, the Sun has more to offer kids and families than any other Princess ship without bringing kids into the Sanctuary, and there are plenty of other Signature Suite amenities to be enjoyed by the whole family.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, CatMom72 said:

I see how it is around here. 

@CatMom72  -  I just meant that copying your post was something i didn't mean to do.

NOT that your post was a mistake!

Edited by chamima
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Familycruzer11 said:

I think this can be solved by listing this Signature amenity as  "Access to the Adults-Only Sanctuary for Signaure Suite guests 16+"  Guests can choose to book, or not, knowing what they are getting.  As mentioned several times, the Sun has more to offer kids and families than any other Princess ship without bringing kids into the Sanctuary, and there are plenty of other Signature Suite amenities to be enjoyed by the whole family.

Great idea!

Are kids allowed in the Signature lounge?

1 hour ago, Familycruzer11 said:

That doesn't solve it though as you basically eliminate a whole bunch of potential customers with lots of cash who might otherwise book a suite for their family. NCL and Royal have figured out a way to allow suite guests to share private pool/lounge areas with their entire family regardless of age.