Sun Princess Sanctuary Discussion

Since my Live From was getting cluttered with Sanctuary discussion, I’m starting a new thread. 

The Sanctuary - The Facts

I had a meeting with the Sanctuary Manager to be sure I was getting correct information. Here we go…

First and foremost, on the Sun Princess the Sanctuary was envisioned as an amenity for Full Suite guests, who have complimentary access. 

The Sanctuary has a capacity of 177. Those 177 loungers include the exclusive area for Signature guests, the padded loungers, the regular unpadded loungers, and the hard sculpted loungers. 

IF THERE IS CAPACITY on a given morning, they will sell day passes at $99 per person on sea days, or $79pp on port days. Half days are not available. There are 80 full suites on the ship, so there may not be much or any extra capacity.

Sanctuary hours are 8am-5pm. 

There is NO pre-reservation of loungers from day to day, including for Suite guests. Location is first-come-first-served every morning. Once a lounger is assigned, it is reserved for you for the rest of the day. If all the padded loungers are taken, you’d have to pick another. 

Cabanas

The Cabanas are not yet finished, and are awaiting the installation of TVs, minibars, and fridges. There are eight cabanas. 

Once completed, Cabanas will be sold for $499/day, for up to four people. Extra people are $50/pp/day. There is no discount for Suite guests. The price includes amenities like bathrobes and slippers. 

The aft glass elevators will require Suite medallion access to open the doors into the Sanctuary. This is not yet implemented, so there is a staff member posted there to stop people. 

Guests will be able to choose from the food and drink menus below. These items are exclusive to the Sanctuary. 

Afternoon Tea will NOT be served in the Sanctuary, at least for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7

With the beautiful sea view terrace/pool at the front on decks 16/17 combined with the Dome and the equally gorgeous wake view terrace at the back on deck 8 it really negates a lot of the need for the Sanctuary in my opinion.  I’m sure many will disagree with me. 

• Like 5

We have, for many years, made sanctuary our primary attraction on board Princess as we have been to many ports several times and make the ship our destination when cruising, even on port days. We enjoy the added attention from a staff that gets to know you over the course of the cruise and gives that little added service that makes it all seem special and worth it to us. (We also like to pretend that there aren't 3000 other people on the boat). All that said... not sure how this is going to work for us moving forward. I'm going to hold my breath and cross t fingers to see how this all plays out. It was my understanding that the "Sanctuary" had one capacity and the Signature Deck had another. If Sanctuary has 170+ loungers and the Signature Deck has an additional amount than I can see the 300+ capacity when combined being possible. We are booked for 2 weeks in Europe on April 27th and another 2 weeks in the Caribbean in October. I won't much care in Europe as we'll want to tour the ports but in the Caribbean we'll want to be "Sanctuary Slugs" and that might be difficult. If it's a cluster in April we may have to make a different choice for October. Time will tell. Why do they always have to re-imagine the stuff that works so well? Thanks for all the great info CBurger! You are a Star sailing on the Sun!

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Sun Princess Sanctuary - No Children

I asked the Sanctuary manager about children. NO ONE UNDER 16 WILL BE ADMITTED. He said Signature Suite guests will all be informed that this is the policy. 

I also asked how many day passes they will sell. They’re still figuring that out, but on the early voyages, it will be 20 couples until they assess capacity. 

Also confirmed that Signature guests will have to choose from available loungers each day when they arrive. No reservation of loungers from day to day. 

You can see the Signature-only area to the right of the railing in the first pic, and left in the second. It is a foot or so higher than the rest of the Sanctuary with ramps on either side. There were several people there today. It’s a beautiful day. 

IMG_2905.thumb.jpeg.7a067afcba03dde14116dc5e4bdee5c4.jpeg

IMG_2906.thumb.jpeg.836978e531d1d069b1ce22c0f2e903d4.jpeg

IMG_2907.thumb.jpeg.aea590a6989799c82b12ea0d4a0cbe2f.jpeg

Edited by CanadianBurger
  • Thanks 6

10 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

With the beautiful sea view terrace/pool at the front on decks 16/17 combined with the Dome and the equally gorgeous wake view terrace at the back on deck 8 it really negates a lot of the need for the Sanctuary in my opinion.  I’m sure many will disagree with me. 

9 hours ago, RMorningglory said:

We have, for many years, made sanctuary our primary attraction on board Princess as we have been to many ports several times and make the ship our destination when cruising, even on port days. We enjoy the added attention from a staff that gets to know you over the course of the cruise and gives that little added service that makes it all seem special and worth it to us. (We also like to pretend that there aren't 3000 other people on the boat). All that said... not sure how this is going to work for us moving forward. I'm going to hold my breath and cross t fingers to see how this all plays out. It was my understanding that the "Sanctuary" had one capacity and the Signature Deck had another. If Sanctuary has 170+ loungers and the Signature Deck has an additional amount than I can see the 300+ capacity when combined being possible. We are booked for 2 weeks in Europe on April 27th and another 2 weeks in the Caribbean in October. I won't much care in Europe as we'll want to tour the ports but in the Caribbean we'll want to be "Sanctuary Slugs" and that might be difficult. If it's a cluster in April we may have to make a different choice for October. Time will tell. Why do they always have to re-imagine the stuff that works so well? Thanks for all the great info CBurger! You are a Star sailing on the Sun!

I don't know which "planner" at Princess came up with the new configuration for the Sanctuary but,  like @RMorningglory, who said EVERYTHING I've been thinking, we also have come to see the Sanctuary as an important part of our vacation.

I hope Princess is reading this and can make some readjustments.

We love the Sanctuary for the feel of old cruising where one had their assigned lounger and deck steward. On the Sun almost everything we love about the Sanctuary is gone, even though we are sailing in a suite. No assigned lounger so we're back to rushing up to get one of the few loungers in the shade (are there ANY in the shade on this ship?) every morning, no getting to know the specific crew in your area, no afternoon tea,  just seems like a lot of no, no, no.

@CanadianBurger- Thank you again for taking time out from your vacation to do this!!

@RMorningglory - please make sure to post your impressions after your April cruise.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, CanadianBurger said:

Sun Princess Sanctuary - No Children

I asked the Sanctuary manager about children. NO ONE UNDER 16 WILL BE ADMITTED. He said Signature Suite guests will all be informed that this is the policy. 

Thanks for confirming. I'm sure that makes some people happy and others not,  but it helps clarify for me what type of room to book.

You've been so informative across these threads, I certainly hope Princess somehow recognizes the time you've taken from your own vacation to help all future travelers. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Especially with the price, less comfortable loungers, no shade and no afternoon tea. No thank you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I absolutely will. I can't read the minds of the powers that be but it feels like there's a move toward making these upgrade opportunities for regular cabin passengers less available so it makes the signature cabins more attractive.  We often get a less expensive cabin and pay for sanctuary as that makes our days special as opposed to our cabin where we hardly spend any time awake. The other issue is... I like the sunshine and the S.O. needs shade. In sanctuary we have traditionally been able to grab a lounger in each so we are close by to one another yet all needs are met. Umbrellas would solve this for us. We'll see what genius solution is developed by the decision makers. I'm also looking at the front of the ship where Sanctuary would traditionally be located or even the wake pool as a possible alternative to all of this. They both seem like quieter spaces without a movie or the band playing. I understand that it's not assigned seating but people tend to not venture all the way forward or aft in droves so... might be worth the walk. The aft pool seems a little tough to get to unless you know where you're going so that might keep the numbers down. Time and experience will soon tell. 

• Like 3

Just because there are other areas onboard,  it seems obvious that there are no other areas that are adult. (16+) only.

A ship of this size with absolutely NO adult area.  Seriously...  this is a problem.

And, of course there is the issue of comfortable padded loungers.

I don't think I need to say more.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chamima said:

I don't know which "planner" at Princess came up with the new configuration for the Sanctuary but,  like @RMorningglory, who said EVERYTHING I've been thinking, we also have come to see the Sanctuary as an important part of our vacation.

While the Sanctuary changes seem to be concerning for many, this is a new ship that is introducing new concepts. Some will work, some won’t, and adjustments will be made. The shade situation may be something that gets adjusted, especially given that the ship will head to the Caribbean but, again, padded loungers exist in seemingly quiet spaces outside of the Sanctuary space.

The positive side of this is that padded loungers are in multiple locations—not just the Sanctuary—and Princess staff is great about getting to know their regulars everywhere. The Medallion should ensure food, drink, and more will be delivered anywhere. Yes, kids may be present but they usually are close to pools and play so the Sun is great for ensuring they have many spaces to go to, ensuring the spaces without those features may be quiet.

The sculpted loungers by the Sanctuary pool are an odd choice, especially for sun lovers.

It may be an unpopular opinion but I am glad to see that Princess is making the suite experience somewhat elevated. They have room to grow with the new approach but suite breakfast in Sabatini’s and dry cleaning wasn’t enough to make us consider booking suites routinely, especially on routes that we knew we wouldn’t spend much time in our stateroom. The small, interior lounges also seemed tight on Royal class. The exclusive spaces are a nice way to elevate the suite experience. Now, if only they made those Sanctuary cabanas sensible for those with the packages and a suite, which make some of the features redundant.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, CanadianBurger said:

Ordered elite tea for two to the stateroom, and this arrived. Yeah! More like the afternoon tea we’re used to.

IMG_2973.thumb.jpeg.255ec5159bcc3aec673088af5a90533e.jpeg

Just wondering - with the Medallion and the "get your order anywhere" concept could you order the tea delivered to the Sanctuary?

Posted (edited)

Now that is an idea!   To confirm, is this tea for ELITE only.. no platinum.

There is now a photo posted that seems to show padding being added to even more of those loungers.  So, if there is any access at all for non-suite guests, that might be a good thing!

Edited by Wishing on a star
  • Like 1

Trying to look on the positive side of things, as a non-suite guest booked on the Sun next year, Princess just saved me the anxiety of running up to the Sanctuary on embarkation day and spending money on a cabana and loungers 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Princess posted an aerial view of the ship from MrScottEddy on their Instagram story that shows the Signature Sun Deck.  My husband counted the padded loungers.  FORTY-THREE.  For 80 suites.  There's no way Princess can possibly think they have enough loungers in the Signature Sun Deck alone to support the demand from suite passengers. 

image.thumb.png.c781fae914b52537c1cd9dc9e41c0d1f.png

Edited by CatMom72
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CatMom72 said:

Princess posted an aerial view of the ship from MrScottEddy on their Instagram story that shows the Signature Sun Deck.  My husband counted the padded loungers.  FORTY-THREE.  For 80 suites.  There's no way Princess can possibly think they have enough loungers in the Signature Sun Deck alone to support the demand from suite passengers. 

But not every Suite passenger will want a lounger. We usually book suites on Royal Class but do not sit out in the sun. And typically we would book one afternoon per cruise in The Sanctuary. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, dides said:

But not every Suite passenger will want a lounger. We usually book suites on Royal Class but do not sit out in the sun. And typically we would book one afternoon per cruise in The Sanctuary. 

There's only enough for a quarter of the suites.  I find it hard to believe that there will be less than 25% utilization on sea days, even in the Med.  And in the Caribbean?!  That place will be packed, and it will be Chair Hog Central.  On Royal class ships, we would book the Sanctuary for the entire week when we were in the Caribbean and we would be in there for some part of every day (including most of the time on sea days). We enjoyed being able to come and go when we felt like it and not having to run upstairs every morning just to get a seat.  We paid extra for that convenience.  For us, the whole point of the Signature Sun Deck was having dedicated space that would be there when we wanted it, included in the price of the suite. I don't see how that's going to work now.  I realize this is no big deal to those who don't enjoy using the Sanctuary extensively, but please don't expect those of us who DO use it extensively not to be disappointed.  There are many of things about the new ship that look amazing, but this part is a real letdown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, CatMom72 said:

Suite guests have access to the entire Sanctuary though. And as posted by someone currently on board, management has advised that paying guests will only be allowed into The Sanctuary if suite guests using the space are below a certain capacity.

2 hours ago, CatMom72 said:

🥵🥵🥵

So forty three loungers for 160 (or so) passengers.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

Suite guests have access to the entire Sanctuary though. And as posted by someone currently on board, management has advised that paying guests will only be allowed into The Sanctuary if suite guests using the space are below a certain capacity.

@CatMom72, if you read post #1, there are currently 177 loungers available to ‘suite’ guests. This includes Sanctuary and Signature sun deck, so unless there are many more than 2 occupants in suites, there should be enough loungers as @WonderMan3have mentioned.

• Like 1