LIVE from ms Rotterdam March 17-29, 2024

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Scrapnana said:

I will do my best!

Do you know what that huge building going up on the corner of SE 17th and Eisenhower is?  We have been debating offices vs. apartments/condos.  

I think it is a hotel for the convention center. It’s supposed to be an 800 room Omni hotel 

Edited by Ipeeinthepools
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

I will do my best!

Do you know what that huge building going up on the corner of SE 17th and Eisenhower is?  We have been debating offices vs. apartments/condos.  

It's the new Fort Lauderdale Convention Center Hotel.  I assume you're talking about the rounded hotel with the blue glass on the lower floors.  If not, let me know.

- POA1, Man on the Street Reporter

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Scrapnana said:

I will do my best!

It's actually part of the Convention Center. It will be part hotel, part parking and meeting space

• Like 2

On 3/14/2024 at 8:06 PM, Scrapnana said:

...Our Itinerary - 12-day Southern Caribbean

DAY    DATE           PORT                                                           ARRIVE                  DEPART

Sun    Mar 17         FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA, US                                           3:00pm

Mon   Mar 18         At Sea

Tue    Mar 19         At Sea

Wed   Mar 20         PHILIPSBURG, SINT MAARTEN                  8:00am                   6:00pm

Thu    Mar 21         ST. JOHNS, ANTIGUA AND BARBUDA        8:00am                   9:00pm

Fri      Mar 22         FORT-DE-FRANCE, MARTINIQUE              8:00am                   5:00pm

Sat     Mar 23         BRIDGETOWN, BARBADOS                       8:00am                   5:00pm

Sun    Mar 24         POINT-A-PITRE, GUADELOUPE                 8:00am                   5:00pm

Mon   Mar 25         BASSETERRE, ST KITTS AND NEVIS         8:00am                   5:00pm

Tue    Mar 26         SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO                         8:00am                   6:00pm

Wed   Mar 27         At Sea

Thu    Mar 28        HALF MOON CAY, BAHAMAS                      8:00am                    3:00pm

Fri      Mar 29        FORT LAUDERDALE, FLORIDA, US           7:00am

Welcome back!! Fabulous itinerary - I've not done this itinerary or that 'Dam ship - I am following and look forward to your review.

Safe travels - enjoy your cruise!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, FLCruiser97 said:

Have they dropped ropes yet?

There are 7 ships in port today and we are squeezed into pier 19.  4 ships are scheduled to leave ahead of us. Our current scheduled departure time is 4:15

Edited by Ipeeinthepools
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Ipeeinthepools said:

There are 7 ships in port today and we are squeezed into pier 19.  4 ships are scheduled to leave ahead of us. Our current scheduled departure time is 4:15

OK. Good to know. I saw she was supposed to leave at 15:00 but saw no movement. Thanks.

• Like 1

I believe this is you, Kathi! 

So glad you are back to cruising! I always loved your blogs and know how much you enjoyed being at sea. 

Bon voyage! 

IMG_1988.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Sleep that sleep one can only get at sea, Kathy. 

I wish you a blissful cruise, leaving it with the confidence that your next cruise will be possible---and even better! 

• Like 5

Embarkation Day and St. Patrick's Day - March 17, 2024

I was dreading getting downstairs because when we came in on Saturday people were waiting for 30 or more minutes to get downstairs.  Although I like the hotel, they only have two elevators and a freight one.  One of them is currently being refurbished so it is very slow when there is a full house of cruisers wanting to get to or from the lobby,  We were lucky (maybe because we were early) and had no trouble.  The bellhop picked up our bags and we were in the lobby by 9:30.

The shuttle ($8) was early and we were away before 10, our scheduled time.  We dropped off three passengers for the RCI ship and then to ours.  We had priority boarding and no set time to be at the terminal and were through to the waiting room quickly.  We sat for about a half hour but were in the first group due to my wheelchair.

Our cabins were not ready but we were able to drop off bags and then to the Lido for lunch.  Cabins were ready after lunch and we all unpacked.  I was out on the Promenade Deck to watch sail-away early.  I waved my HAL flag and some people were able to get pictures off the PTZtv webcam as we sailed away. 

image.thumb.jpeg.c254253285349e6fc1befd1f60e9342a.jpeg

At 7 I played St. Patrick's Day trivia.  The winners had 14 and I had 9 out of 19.

1.  What is the highest number of clover leaves on one stem ever recorded?

2.  What must leprechauns share if they are caught?

3.  St. Patrick was originally connected with what color?

4.  How do leprechauns get their gold?

5.  What US city dyes its river green every year since 1962?

1.  56

2.  their gold

3.  blue

4.  making or mending shoes

5.  Chicago

After trivia I headed for the Club Orange dining room.  This is my first time with Club Orange which gives certain perks such as a separate dining room with a few extras on the menu.  

The show was the Origin Story of Holland America.  We had all seen it before so we did not rush our meal and finished well after the starting time of 9pm.  On my way back to my cabin I sat and listened to the last few "One Hit Wonders" in the billboard on board lounge.

By that point I was exhausted so it was off to bed instead of writing this up.

Smooth sailing until next time!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 7