RCL screwed up our price, then wouldn't honor it, then cancelled us 2 wks before sail date

1 hour ago, P27159 said:

Honestly, I didn’t even realize something like that could happen.  I am not a frequent visitor on these boards, so I have not seen the issue you mentioned, but thanks for bringing this up.  I assume that if you book a cruise and flights together as a package through a travel agent, you would get a full refund for the cruise plus the flights if that charter situation occurs, is that correct?

I have learned a lot based on this experience, plus some of the comments I have seen on this board.

How about people who booked legs of the world cruise. End of feb the cruisers onboard voted which route so it wasnt known until close to when the ship would be close to where people might be able to board their legs, ... or miss them.

One guy booked 4 nights nonrefundable hotel in dubai and he was cancelled and only offered a refund or book another cruise, with $100 obc. If you got cancelled they arent covering hotels or airfare to far flung places. I'm one who books ahead. 

Ship cant go thru the red sea because it's too dangerous so it's going around africa. Hotel in dubai isnt cheap either. Royal has gotten chintz with what it will do to make pax happy. Most of us here can name a lot like this. 

Posted (edited)

When you threatened to take them to court in your initial email, which you presented in the previous thread, you sealed the deal for them cancelling.

I don't know about you but I'm not doing business with people who choose the nuclear option as the first option when something goes wrong.

Edited by Tree_skier
typo
  • Like 11

I remember the previous threads.  I think Royal made a mistake (computer glitch), and it wasn't intentional on their part.  Therefore, it wasn't "Bait and Switch" (as was claimed before).  Offering a complete refund IS a valid result if you wanted to cancel. 

I *DON'T* think cancelling the cruise on you is a good move.  However, if in some of your correspondence with them, you threatened to file a claim or to go to the media, I can almost understand it.  I mean, why take the chance?  

I do remember you saying, after I had suggested using the non-refundable air and doing something else in/around Miami, you vehemently said you didn't want to do that.  Going on a cruise with another vendor is a good option too. 

I hope you enjoy your trip.  Thanks for updating. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

How about people who booked legs of the world cruise. End of feb the cruisers onboard voted which route so it wasnt known until close to when the ship would be close to where people might be able to board their legs, ... or miss them.

One guy booked 4 nights nonrefundable hotel in dubai and he was cancelled and only offered a refund or book another cruise, with $100 obc. If you got cancelled they arent covering hotels or airfare to far flung places. I'm one who books ahead. 

Ship cant go thru the red sea because it's too dangerous so it's going around africa. Hotel in dubai isnt cheap either. Royal has gotten chintz with what it will do to make pax happy. Most of us here can name a lot like this. 

Something like this would be easier to accept if it was something beyond the cruise ships control, like weather, safety concerns (like what’s happening in Haiti right now), etc.  But this case was different: there was no stated reason for canceling, except for my two possible assumptions, neither of which are good reasons to cancel someone.

but with all of the information, I’m seeing here, I’m going to keep it in mind in the future when I book cruises.  

44 minutes ago, Tree_skier said:

When you threatened to take them to court in your initial email, which you presented in the previous thread, you sealed the deal for them cancelling.

I don't know about you but I'm not doing business with people who choose the nuclear option as the first option when something goes wrong.

But that is NOT what happened.  You clearly didn’t read what I wrote here.  I find it interesting when people post with their smug comments, when it’s clear they are way off base because they can’t read carefully or properly.  I did NOT threaten legal action in my first email.  I had been through two rounds of escalations via phone communications first, then sent THREE emails to Michael Bayley and a couple of others that I had email addresses to, and as I clearly said, if you read what I wrote, I got NO RESPONSE.  at this point, I didn’t see any other way I would be able to talk to somebody that had any power to negotiate with me, which is why I sent the letter, mentioning that I am considering legal action.  It was only after that I even got a response at all.

I guess, in hindsight, I shouldn’t have even mentioned that, and just taken the cruise, and then sued them after the fact. I think I have a very good case based on my evidence, but the cruise document fine print may or may not be honored in court, depending on how the judge sees it, assuming I’d even be able to get to court, and not forced into arbitration, where the arbitrator is being chosen by the cruise line (probably hand-picked by them because they know they’ll get favorable verdict most of the time), and possibly have to travel to Florida in order to do that.

although now that I have booked a different cruise, I think will be happy with, and spent less money than we were currently on the hook for with RCL (although more than what I was originally planning to pay, but that was all of us in one room), perhaps this outcome is better than that other alternative.

but, based on principle, I don’t think RCL should be able to get away with stuff like this.  It’s THEIR website that they pay for, so they should be responsible for the prices, they book, and the fact that they should have displayed an error message and not let the transaction go through. If they’re booking for two rooms and four passengers were listed on the form.

some people here want to blame me because I didn’t notice the gratuities were for only two people, and ignoring the fact that RCL was MUCH more in the wrong throughout this entire process.  They offered a reasonable contract, which was accepted, they should honor it. PERIOD.  Especially when someone relies on that contract for other purposes (promissory estoppel, per the law).  But it seems RCL thinks they are above the law, and evidently, they might be.

5 hours ago, P27159 said:

Thanks, but I don’t think I can sue them now. 

You can't. You have your refund. And even if you didn't, the expense and time involved would not be worth it.

I would still consider Royal Caribbean over MSC. There screw ups are notorious for being 10x worse than Royals. 

• Thanks 1

There are many good reasons to use a TA and this is one.   40 cruises using our friends who are TA's and never a glitch.

Also, glad we either drive or take Amtrak to our cruises.  Amtrak will refund our points fully. If we happen to pay with our cc (Amtrak MC), our experience has been the same although they post a penalty for cancellation (10% last time I checked).

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, P27159 said:

But that is NOT what happened.  You clearly didn’t read what I wrote here.  I find it interesting when people post with their smug comments, when it’s clear they are way off base because they can’t read carefully or properly.  I did NOT threaten legal action in my first email.  I had been through two rounds of escalations via phone communications first, then sent THREE emails to Michael Bayley and a couple of others that I had email addresses to, and as I clearly said, if you read what I wrote, I got NO RESPONSE.  at this point, I didn’t see any other way I would be able to talk to somebody that had any power to negotiate with me, which is why I sent the letter, mentioning that I am considering legal action.  It was only after that I even got a response at all.

I guess, in hindsight, I shouldn’t have even mentioned that, and just taken the cruise, and then sued them after the fact. I think I have a very good case based on my evidence, but the cruise document fine print may or may not be honored in court, depending on how the judge sees it, assuming I’d even be able to get to court, and not forced into arbitration, where the arbitrator is being chosen by the cruise line (probably hand-picked by them because they know they’ll get favorable verdict most of the time), and possibly have to travel to Florida in order to do that.

although now that I have booked a different cruise, I think will be happy with, and spent less money than we were currently on the hook for with RCL (although more than what I was originally planning to pay, but that was all of us in one room), perhaps this outcome is better than that other alternative.

but, based on principle, I don’t think RCL should be able to get away with stuff like this.  It’s THEIR website that they pay for, so they should be responsible for the prices, they book, and the fact that they should have displayed an error message and not let the transaction go through. If they’re booking for two rooms and four passengers were listed on the form.

some people here want to blame me because I didn’t notice the gratuities were for only two people, and ignoring the fact that RCL was MUCH more in the wrong throughout this entire process.  They offered a reasonable contract, which was accepted, they should honor it. PERIOD.  Especially when someone relies on that contract for other purposes (promissory estoppel, per the law).  But it seems RCL thinks they are above the law, and evidently, they might be.

I did read what you wrote.  Questioning my reading comprehension isn't going to advance your cause.  You threatened legal action in your first email to M. Bailey ,which you published here on CC, so at that point the story ends for them and the only logical course of action is to terminate the business relationship.  The company will take the position there is no way to salvage the relationship and any accommodation short of complete capitulation that they make will be assumed to rebuffed by you.

You said you weren't scared to take them to court so go ahead.  Big talk on a forum or in emails is common. Action not so much.  Many people gave you good advice here on CC including the email to Michael Bailey's executive office. You chose, in your communication to his office, to go nuclear.  That the next response you got from them was a cancellation, which seems perfectly reasonable to me, is not surprising.  But yet you still want to rant at everyone who doesn't validate your every action. Had your email to the executive office been even slightly more measured, history has shown us here on CC, some special accommodation more than likely would have been possible.

I'm sure that it is possible that a computer error on Royal's part caused your unfortunate circumstances.  Your combative responses to it did nothing to resolve it.  If all you are looking for is validation you have come to the wrong place.

I wish you well in your lawsuit.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

I know it's too late now, but to the op.

(And useful info for others)

I think I read your airfare is booked with Delta.

They have a risk-free cancelation policy which allows cancelation within the first 24 hrs after booking.

Although you booked non-refundable , from what I understand ,if you're outside of that 1 day period,you may cancel and get an e-credit.   

The credit can be used on a future booking for airfare.

OP - it appears it was a glitch on the website. As such, it was a mistake. True, it was RCL's mistake but companies don't have to honor a mistake or a glitch. It's good practice if a company does, but RCL doesn't have to. It doesn't appear to be a bait and switch if it, truly, was a glitch or mistake. A bait and switch is an intentional act. I feel for you because I would have been excited for the deal - but in the back of my mind I would have had an inkling it was a mistake. Anyway, I don't see any lawsuit worth your time as you received a full refund. You may have de minimis air change fee damage but suing them for that would cost you much more in time and money than it's worth. If I was RCL, would I have honored it?  - YES, but I'm not so.... Good luck with your MSC cruise and I'm sure you'll love it!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DennysDad said:

You can't. You have your refund. And even if you didn't, the expense and time involved would not be worth it.

I would still consider Royal Caribbean over MSC. There screw ups are notorious for being 10x worse than Royals. 

After what I experienced, there’s no way I will ever sail with them again.  

1 hour ago, Tree_skier said:

Had your email to the executive office been even slightly more measured, history has shown us here on CC, some special accommodation more than likely would have been possible.

Maybe because you spend more you have found royal to be accommodative. Imo after covid they were until the new ceo came in. I havent seen any examples since then they are accomdative. Personal experience included. 

OP said he threatened them to get their attention. So they would negotiate. Imo royal doesnt make exceptions and negotiate on prices. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, LadeeBug100 said:

I know it's too late now, but to the op.

(And useful info for others)

I think I read your airfare is booked with Delta.

They have a risk-free cancelation policy which allows cancelation within the first 24 hrs after booking.

Although you booked non-refundable , from what I understand ,if you're outside of that 1 day period,you may cancel and get an e-credit.   

The credit can be used on a future booking for airfare.

Actually, it was Southwest, not Delta, but I did find out from someone on one of these boards that even nonrefundable flights do have a 24 hour cancellation window without penalty.  I believe it is a DoT regulation. I didn’t know that at the time, and none of the agents I spoke to mentioned that to me, either, or else I would’ve done that.

thanks for commenting, at least there are a few people here that are reasonable and are here to make knowledgeable comments, and not the crap I have seen here that are only meant to be incendiary 

10 minutes ago, P27159 said:

Actually, it was Southwest, not Delta, but I did find out from someone on one of these boards that even nonrefundable flights do have a 24 hour cancellation window without penalty.  I believe it is a DoT regulation. I didn’t know that at the time, and none of the agents I spoke to mentioned that to me, either, or else I would’ve done that.

thanks for commenting, at least there are a few people here that are reasonable and are here to make knowledgeable comments, and not the crap I have seen here that are only meant to be incendiary 

If you booked with Southwest, you can cancel it anytime and get credits back on your account that never have an expiration date. I've done that many times and have credits from a couple of years ago that I'm still waiting to use.

You cannot get actual cash back but you can get credits back for future flights.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, #1packerfan said:

If you booked with Southwest, you can cancel it anytime and get credits back on your account that never have an expiration date. I've done that many times and have credits from a couple of years ago that I'm still waiting to use.

You cannot get actual cash back but you can get credits back for future flights.

Oh, wow, I virtually never fly on that airline, so I had no idea that they allowed you to be that flexible. I don’t think any of the other major carriers would do that. I wish I would have known that from the beginning.  Thanks for pointing this out.

1 minute ago, P27159 said:

Oh, wow, I virtually never fly on that airline, so I had no idea that they allowed you to be that flexible. I don’t think any of the other major carriers would do that. I wish I would have known that from the beginning.  Thanks for pointing this out.

I guess you didn't read the fine print on SW website.

• Like 4

You have had your say (three times).  Advice has been given, which you can accept or reject.  But there is nothing more to say, so this thread is locked.  And don't start v.4

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1