Winning bid on sold out ship

44 minutes ago, caligirlfashionista said:

Has anyone had their bid accepted on a sold out cruise?

While chances are very low, there are most likely cases of last minute cancellations on many cruises that are sold out.  One cancellation on a better cabin category can set off a domino effect for upgrades.  

• Thanks 1

Yes - April 6th Enchanted.  But it was my lowest bid.  I bid on 4 categories and only had a minimum bid on the lowest upgrade - an Oceanview (there are only 6 of these rooms).  But that is what we got.  Satisfied.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We’re on the Sky Princess charter in April.

Tried to get a bigger mini suite balcony a few weeks ago (didn’t realise how small they are) but was told there were only 2 suites left.

Called on the off chance there may be a bigger one last week and there were two!

You must always try, even when you sail. With so many people on board statically someone will have a reason not to travel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Guest Snaxmuppet
Posted (edited)

This was a strange one...

I went to guest services immediately on boarding to see if I could get an upgrade from balcony to mini-suite... I was told that there was a mini-suite available but I would have to return after the ship had sailed as they couldn't do anything while in port. I went to GS once we were under way only to be told that the mini-suite had gone to someone else. Needless to say, I wasn't happy. However, they did say that a suite was now available and would we like that instead... hell YES!

It was our first suite experience and predictably we booked a suite for our next cruise.

So it worked out in the end but just be aware that whatever you are told at GS isn't necessarily what will happen later.

🙂 

Edited by Snaxmuppet

7 hours ago, caligirlfashionista said:

Has anyone had their bid accepted on a sold out cruise?

A sold out ship does not necessarily mean that all of the cabins are sold. Each muster station has a maximum number of people it can handle. If a lot of cabins have three or four passengers, they may be sold out even with empty cabins. In this case, they can still accept bids for upgrades because this would increase revenue without increasing the total number of passengers.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I went to GS once we were under way only to be told that the mini-suite had gone to someone else. Needless to say, I wasn't happy. However, they did say that a suite was now available and would we like that instead... hell YES!

@Snaxmuppet If you don't mind me asking, did you pay the full retail upcharge to get the suite, or was there some kind of reduced 'value' price for your upgrade?

Yes, on the Enchanted in December 2022.  Our upgrade offer on a PH suite was accepted a week before the cruise.  Ditto with our neighboring cabin.  Suite categories had been sold out for months and the cruise itself had shown as sold out for at least a month.

• Like 2

Guest Snaxmuppet
2 hours ago, JGmf said:

@Snaxmuppet If you don't mind me asking, did you pay the full retail upcharge to get the suite, or was there some kind of reduced 'value' price for your upgrade?

Because they screwed up by promising us the mini-suite prior to departure and they then gave it to someone else they did the full suite at what the mini-suite was going to be. Can't remember the exact figure tbh but we had the full suite benefits so it was great. It was a window suite that clearly was not sold.

Bid on a Club Reserve minisuite on our early February Regal cruise. Had zero expectation of success since ALL minisuites and suites were listed as Sold Out for weeks before the sailing. Imagine my surprise when an email arrived saying my bid had been accepted less than 72 hours before sailing. 

• Like 3

On 3/16/2024 at 9:39 AM, NavyVeteran said:

A sold out ship does not necessarily mean that all of the cabins are sold. Each muster station has a maximum number of people it can handle. If a lot of cabins have three or four passengers, they may be sold out even with empty cabins. In this case, they can still accept bids for upgrades because this would increase revenue without increasing the total number of passengers.

Makes sense.