Live from the Dawn Crossing March 19 - April 2

spinnaker2

LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"And another from spinnaker2! Thank you for generously sharing your time at sea with everyone at Cruise Critic! See your post featured on our: Click: Cruise Reports page. When you return, please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

spinnaker2 was awarded the badge '"Live from...."' and 5 points.

Reporting live from the very packed to the gunwales Dawn.

Yesterday in Barbados the boarding process was a bit chaotic and a lot sweaty. 

The Dawn is completely full. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Is that typical that the crossings are fully booked?

No. 

But a chaotic boarding process in Barbados is absolutely typical. That’s Barbados, not SS. 

Happy sails Spins and Dr L. 

Edited by jollyjones

Thanks for the good wishes all.

Today, sea day 1, is picture perfect weather. 

Sun worshippers are getting toasted.

Others also getting toasted, but in a different way.

Lots of activities for others, cooking classes, cooking demonstrations, dance lessons, painting class, origami, lectures, a Caribbean buffet lunch at the pool deck with some very listenable live music, bridge lessons, table tennis tournaments, language classes, roulette tournament, a book conversation club, trivia, etc.

I recognize the faces of many pax from prior crossings.

Crossings do attract repeat pax who just love the sea days.

The majority of the crew are new.

We dined in la T last night. I can confirm the menu must have gone thru a dryer on high cycle, because it has shrunk.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Sea day 2.

Somewhere between Barbados and here, we lost an hour. We will lose another hour tonight. I am keeping track because I hope to retrieve them at some point. The loss of the hour is ok for the guests but not ok for the crew. 

The weather continues to cooperate. Windy but sunny. The pool is totally packed again. 

Lots of activities to participate in should one desire, including making a bracelet. Really?

Dinner last night in La T. Dress code was informal,  most of the gentlemen were in jackets, with some t-shirts and polo shirts. The attire of the women was mixed, from sparkly to wrinkled peasant dress. 

The food was again mediocre to poor. The service was excellent. Too bad it could not help the food. 

The tray of antipasti is still presented with great flair, as is the bread basket, I think this carries the meal. At the very least, it makes a good first impression. The sparkling wine is no longer offered. 

One cannot help noticing some big and small changes. Touches that made the line seem special, for example, no flowers on the tables. 

Lunch today in Atlantide. Barely any takers as the majority of the pax were at the pool and La T.  

I can confirm that this menu must have been in the same dryer as the menu from La T and it shrunk too. 

The food was a step up from la T.  The small white vases which had flowers in them were missing from the table settings. Service was attentive and efficient.

Formal night tonight. 

Edited by spinnaker2
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Sea day 3, en route to Mindelo, Sao Vicente Island, Cape Verde

Another gorgeous day aboard the Dawn. 

The rhythm and sound of the sea as it hits the hull is intoxicating and hypnotic.

We are relaxing. 

The pool area is again packed, nary a sun bed to be had.

Lunch at the pool today  consisted of 4 different buffet stations located around the perimeter of the pool deck, with choices of the cuisines of Asia, the  Mediterranean, America and India. The regular menu was also available. Live music from the combo added to the ambiance.  It was nicely done and the crew team were incredible at keeping pace with the crowd, many of whom are very, very demanding.  Kudos to the crew!

Last evening was formal night. We dined at SALT. What a terrific meal! I chose the flavors of Cuba side of the menu and enjoyed the garlicky pork which was tender and unctuous. Dr. Spins had black cod. For dessert, dulce de leche cake and churros with rich chocolate sauce. Yum.

SALT is worthy of repeat visits!!!

Most of the pax we saw were dressed according to the dress code. 

• Like 10

On 3/20/2024 at 6:42 PM, jollyjones said:

No. 

But a chaotic boarding process in Barbados is absolutely typical. That’s Barbados, not SS. 

Happy sails Spins and Dr L. 

i had the same experince a few weks ago on regent 

Sea day 4 and 5.

While the sun is out and pax go about their vacation activities, the Captain is rushing to get to Mindelo early, by tonight. We were due to arrive the following day.

There is a medical emergency onboard which requires utmost speed to the nearest hospital.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2024 at 7:54 AM, Gourmet Gal said:

Is that typical that the crossings are fully booked?

You'll find a core group of cruisers that really enjoy the shipboard experience who cross annually.  About 1/3 of our ocean cruises are repo cruises, and we would see a lot of familiar faces each time.  These were once (many years ago) offered at a steep discount vs. other cruises, but over time, their popularity has brought prices way up.

• Like 3

Sea Day en route to Puerto Rosario, Spain.

Sparkling seas and bright sun. The pool is crowded. 

Formal night tonight.

Another hour will evaporate into the ether.

I must mention our butler and suite attendant, who are splendid and caring. Anu and Mark are special. Kudos.

We have noticed many changes in the Silversea product. But the crew, many of whom are new to the line, are efficient and attentive. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, spinnaker2 said:

I must mention our butler and suite attendant, who are splendid and caring. Anu and Mark are special. Kudos.

Please, oh please, can you ask Anu if he was also a butler on Celebrity, most particularly on Constellation for the restart cruise out of Tampa?  We have been trying to get contact information for him to ask about him and his family.  Like idiots, we neglected to ask him before we disembarked.  If we're talking about the same Anu, he was unquestionably the best butler we have ever had the pleasure of working with on any cruise ship, kind and intuitive.

He may remember my wife. Hard to see Anu, since staff was masking during this cruise.

20211107_120557.thumb.jpg.b028b7fea2b0a8b93364edeff07dcdde.jpg

4 hours ago, canderson said:

Please, oh please, can you ask Anu if he was also a butler on Celebrity, most particularly on Constellation for the restart cruise out of Tampa?  We have been trying to get contact information for him to ask about him and his family.  Like idiots, we neglected to ask him before we disembarked.  If we're talking about the same Anu, he was unquestionably the best butler we have ever had the pleasure of working with on any cruise ship, kind and intuitive.

He may remember my wife. Hard to see Anu, since staff was masking during this cruise.

20211107_120557.thumb.jpg.b028b7fea2b0a8b93364edeff07dcdde.jpg

I will ask however I do not think your Anu is the same person.

Earl:

The gentleman who is our butler has never been aboard Celebrity. Not the same Anu, sorry.

Another sea day today.

A bit chilly, but not enough to deter the sun worshippers.

Turns out the sun worshippers also revere Bacchus, as the “all-inclusive” ship has run out of many wine offerings. No rose, no Macon, no Italian white, no french white, no Cab, no California chard except Neilson, or Chilean Morande, no Pouilly Fume. And no restock until LIsbon, when we get off. Apparently the wine drinkers were also dipping strawberries in their wine, as those too are all gone. 

The sommelier we spoke with said this is a challenge. 

Of the pax aboard, only 100 plus are first timers with Silversea. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 11:08 AM, spinnaker2 said:

We have noticed many changes in the Silversea product. But the crew, many of whom are new to the line, are efficient and attentive. 

Hello spinnaker2

My wife and I were on the cruise preceding yours - Bridgetown to Bridgetown. We were in 1009 and were looked after by the same butler & suite attendant as yourselves. 

Please pass on our best regards to Mark, who is an oustanding suite attendant and a really lovely guy. (We are Mr & Mrs Mac..... from England).

We've been enjoying following you on your TA cruise and are pleased that our recollections of our cruise are not dissimilar to yours - good and not so good.

We'd be really interested to learn if the very controversial 'gratuities letter' lands on your bed one evening towards the end of your cruise !! 

Best wishes for the rest of your cruise.

• Like 1