Live from the Vista - March 27 (Miami) to May 1 (Trieste)

Hlitner

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Afternoon from the Dalmation Coast,

Last evening we paid our third visit to Toscana, and our dinner was somewhat disappointing.  Not bad...just disappointing.  Toscana has a terrific menu, but it seems to be hit/miss on whether it delivers on each dish.  DW had a daily special pumpkin filled ravioli that was advertised to be in a brown butter sauce.  However, what she got was the ravioli in a beurre blanc sauce with almost no flavor.   Her dish also lacked any decent seasoning (when she makes this at home, she uses sage).   I had the Veal Marsala, and the marsala sauce lacked the taste of marsala wine.  It was a near-bland brown sauce.  Despite the shortcomings, our meal was quite good...just not as good as it should have been.  

Hank I just wonder if you had taken just a 14 day cruise , would your critic have been different?

Penultimate evening of the cruise.  Grazie Hank for your dedication and objectivity in faithfully maintaining the blog.  We dined in Toscana tonight, and enjoyed all but Mario’s “caccio e Pepe” linguine.  Very bland, and cream had been added.  A huge taboo.  Overall, though, a very pleasant evening.  In the theatre now, awaiting the talented Welsh singer.  Then up to Horizons.  Mario is in a pink shirt and I’m in a sparkly jacket if you’re there and wish to say hello before we all leave.  Thanks again for the great daily reports.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mareblu said:

“caccio e Pepe” linguine.  Very bland, and cream had been added.  A huge taboo.  

I love the dish!  If not adding cream (which I thought was the way is was made) how do you make yours?

4 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

I love the dish!  If not adding cream (which I thought was the way is was made) how do you make yours?

Try this, as it traditionally uses olive oil.  Even butter would be frowned upon, but not so much as cream.  This recipe does call for a heavy dose of fresh garlic,  could be eliminated or at least reduced, but be brave and add at least a little.

https://www.delicious.com.au > traditional cacio e pepe recipe

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vallesan said:

Hank I just wonder if you had taken just a 14 day cruise , would your critic have been different?

Perhaps, in terms of the restaurants.  More meals means sampling more options, both good and bad.  As to the Vista, we would like this ship on a

14 day, 35 day, or even 90 day cruise.  

Hank

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Penultimate evening of the cruise.  Grazie Hank for your dedication and objectivity in faithfully maintaining the blog.  We dined in Toscana tonight, and enjoyed all but Mario’s “caccio e Pepe” linguine.  Very bland, and cream had been added.  A huge taboo.  Overall, though, a very pleasant evening.  In the theatre now, awaiting the talented Welsh singer.  Then up to Horizons.  Mario is in a pink shirt and I’m in a sparkly jacket if you’re there and wish to say hello before we all leave.  Thanks again for the great daily reports.

Sorry we missed you as I did not see your post and we skipped the show.  And agree that caccio e Pepe should not have cream.  I love the dish, but have not had it on the Vista.  

Hank

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Try this, as it traditionally uses olive oil.  Even butter would be frowned upon, but not so much as cream.  This recipe does call for a heavy dose of fresh garlic,  could be eliminated or at least reduced, but be brave and add at least a little.

Just chatted with my “personal chef” and she dies not even use olive oil.  She says the oil would cause the cheese to slide off the pasta.  Just a little of the pasta water to melt the parmigiana and lots of black pepper.  Cream sounds like a major faux pas as it becomes something akin to an Alfredo sauce.

Hank

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just chatted with my “personal chef” and she dies not even use olive oil.  She says the oil would cause the cheese to slide off the pasta.  Just a little of the pasta water to melt the parmigiana and lots of black pepper.  Cream sounds like a major faux pas as it becomes something akin to an Alfredo sauce.

Hank

Yes, I agree.  The starchy pasta water and cheese are sufficient to coat and bind.  Cream is rarely, if ever, used in genuine Italian cuisine.  It is absolutely forbidden in carbonara, but people still insist “a little is okay”.  It is not.

• Like 2

Bland dishes and sauces. Made up Americanized recipes. NoNos don’t like garlic, so don’t expect garlic even in dishes that call for it. Nothing new here folks. Remember the NoNo call all these dishes excellent. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Bland dishes and sauces. Made up Americanized recipes. NoNos don’t like garlic, so don’t expect garlic even in dishes that call for it. Nothing new here folks. Remember the NoNo call all these dishes excellent. 

I guess I'm one of those NoNos because I considered food on on our Riviera cruise last May excellent. And for the record, I like spices and absolutely love garlic, and I never found the food bland.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Afternoon readers,

We are in our last port (before debarkation) on this 35 day adventure.  From my perspective, O saved the best for last :).  Today we are tendering in the Rovinj, Croatia and both DW and I are absolutely blown away by this charming place.  It is like the hidden gem of Croatia, as it has not yet been discovered by the masses, although we suspect that within a few short years it will be a packed place just like Santorini, Dubrovnik, etc.  

We have been in many ports on this voyage, with only two (Chania and Rovinj) we have visited for the first time.  Rovinj has a really nice old town area, and nearly any view could grace the cover of a guidebook.  Plenty of cafes, restaurants, art galleries, the usual church, streets paved with stone (which can be slippery).  This is not a port for folks with mobility issues, although they could enjoy part of the town along the various harbors (there is more than one).  I suspect it is not a popular cruise port because there is no pier adequate for cruise ships, and its proximity to other popular ports (i.e. Dubrovnik, Split, Kotor, etc) keeps it off of most itineraries.  What a shame.  DW and I will plan to revisit this town when we are on one of our driving trips.

Not much more to add to this live blog.  DW and I had a good feeling as soon as we boarded the Vista, and nothing in the last month has taken the glow off our first O voyage.  Some readers might be aware I am a student of the cruise/travel industry and always have an interest in some of the inside info.  Many may not be aware that a majority of the crew on Oceania, do not work directly for O,  This company is a major user of the Apollo Group, who has been involved with the cruise industry for eons.  Much of the crew that interacts with passengers, are actually employed by Apollo as are the regular entertainers (singers/dancers).  That is not a negative thing, but simply a fact.  These days, a cruise line can contract with third party companies for just about anything and O obviously prefers to use contractors rather than deal with the complications of taking most jobs in-house.  

This will likely be our last "live from the Vista" post as we disembark in about 18 hours.  DW and I are staying in Europe for 12 days, and if all goes well will pick-up a rental car and be on our way to parts of Slovenia, Austria and Italy.  We have long suggested, here on CC, that we find the ideal trip to be a combination of cruising and independent land travel.  But we are not looking forward to having to "forage" for our own food/drink :).  

Hank

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Mareblu said:

7 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

I have enjoyed reading your views on the Vista.  Thank you! 

Have a wonderful and safe adventure with your road travels!!!

I thought the dish we had in Rome had cream.  Perhaps it was just the fresh Parmesan mixed with the pasta water.  I made once back home with a recipe that I found on the internet.  I thought it called for cream.  Thank you for the recipe.

Edited by Iamthesea
  • Like 1

As a side note, I believe all but the senior staff are actually employed by Apollo. The employment contract is actually with Apollo, not Oceania, and that contract spells out compensation and benefits. As with any and every employment Agency, what the Agency is paid may not mirror what the worker is paid. The Apollo Group supplies personnel to multiple cruise lines. Fwiw, the company has a majority share holder by the initials of FDR, unless he has sold out in the very recent past. 

• Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Afternoon readers,

We are in our last port (before debarkation) on this 35 day adventure.  From my perspective, O saved the best for last :).  Today we are tendering in the Rovinj, Croatia and both DW and I are absolutely blown away by this charming place.  It is like the hidden gem of Croatia, as it has not yet been discovered by the masses, although we suspect that within a few short years it will be a packed place just like Santorini, Dubrovnik, etc.  

We have been in many ports on this voyage, with only two (Chania and Rovinj) we have visited for the first time.  Rovinj has a really nice old town area, and nearly any view could grace the cover of a guidebook.  Plenty of cafes, restaurants, art galleries, the usual church, streets paved with stone (which can be slippery).  This is not a port for folks with mobility issues, although they could enjoy part of the town along the various harbors (there is more than one).  I suspect it is not a popular cruise port because there is no pier adequate for cruise ships, and its proximity to other popular ports (i.e. Dubrovnik, Split, Kotor, etc) keeps it off of most itineraries.  What a shame.  DW and I will plan to revisit this town when we are on one of our driving trips.

Not much more to add to this live blog.  DW and I had a good feeling as soon as we boarded the Vista, and nothing in the last month has taken the glow off our first O voyage.  Some readers might be aware I am a student of the cruise/travel industry and always have an interest in some of the inside info.  Many may not be aware that a majority of the crew on Oceania, do not work directly for O,  This company is a major user of the Apollo Group, who has been involved with the cruise industry for eons.  Much of the crew that interacts with passengers, are actually employed by Apollo as are the regular entertainers (singers/dancers).  That is not a negative thing, but simply a fact.  These days, a cruise line can contract with third party companies for just about anything and O obviously prefers to use contractors rather than deal with the complications of taking most jobs in-house.  

This will likely be our last "live from the Vista" post as we disembark in about 18 hours.  DW and I are staying in Europe for 12 days, and if all goes well will pick-up a rental car and be on our way to parts of Slovenia, Austria and Italy.  We have long suggested, here on CC, that we find the ideal trip to be a combination of cruising and independent land travel.  But we are not looking forward to having to "forage" for our own food/drink :).  

Hank

Thank you SO much for all your reports both on this cruise and the HAL cruise a year ago.  Travel safely and enjoy your next 12 days on terra firma.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iamthesea said:

I have enjoyed reading your views on the Vista.  Thank you! 

Have a wonderful and safe adventure with your road travels!!!

I thought the dish we had in Rome had cream.  Perhaps it was just the fresh Parmesan mixed with the pasta water.  I made once back home with a recipe that I found on the internet.  I thought it called for cream.  Thank you for the recipe.

DW tells me that when you get the ratio of pasta water to parmesan just right, the result does seem creamy.  She has heard of using some butter, but that seems to vary depending on the recipe and chef.

Hank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Afternoon readers,

Hank

We took a side trip last year to Rovinj off our SB cruise. Our biggest mistake - it was one of two excursions we booked because of distance. We would have loved to spend a full day….or more, in that beautiful spot!  It was storybook for sure. Great way to end your trip on Vista!  
Thank  you again for all the time you took posting your journey for all of us! 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Mareblu said:

Cream is rarely, if ever, used in genuine Italian cuisine

I play on a food forum. I'm sure there's been discussion there (and its now closed predecessor) that the addition of cream to carbonara (and Alfredo ?) sauce is an American twist on the Italian original. 

I hesitated to mention Alfredo, as it's not a sauce you really come across in Italian restaurants in the UK - so my only experience of it is at an Olive Garden in the States. I remember I quite liked it. 

Edited by Harters
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

As a side note, I believe all but the senior staff are actually employed by Apollo. The employment contract is actually with Apollo, not Oceania, and that contract spells out compensation and benefits. As with any and every employment Agency, what the Agency is paid may not mirror what the worker is paid. The Apollo Group supplies personnel to multiple cruise lines. Fwiw, the company has a majority share holder by the initials of FDR, unless he has sold out in the very recent past. 

Yes if we’re not mistaken Apollo Holdings used to control both Oceania and Regent before NCL took over. 

3 minutes ago, Harters said:

I play on a food forum. I'm sure there's been discussion there (and its now closed predecessor) that the addition of cream to carbonara (and Alfredo ?) sauce is an American twist on the Italian original. 

I hesitated to mention Alfredo, as it's not a sauce you really come across in Italian restaurants in the UK - so my only experience of it is at an Olive Garden in the States. I remember I quite liked it. 

I think that’s the secret …. you…  “quite liked it”. Surely at the end of the day it doesn’t really matter if a dish is ‘authentic’ as long as the ‘consumer’ enjoy it!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Iamthesea said:

I thought the dish we had in Rome had cream.

I understand that cooking/eating in Rome (considered Northern Italy) is more apt to have cream.

• Thanks 1