Live from the Vista - March 27 (Miami) to May 1 (Trieste)

Hlitner

1 hour ago, Techno123 said:

The problem is it's only Oceania in name, same as Regent is only Regent in name the people pulling the strings and dictating what happens onboard are the bean counters at NCLH 😢 - the same for SS and SB - the parent companies dictate the offerings and they have A LOT of money to make back.

You're wrong. From very early on in the consolidation NCLH was headed by FDR, the founder of Oceania. Since FDR's recent retirement NCLH has been headed by Harry Sommer, a long-time FDR disciple.

The show has been and continues to be run by Oceania-bred executives, not NCL executives.

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

At least (until the recent FDR Sr retirement), the bulk of NCLH’s executives were previously Oceania execs (from FDR to. Bob Binder and on down the line). With FDR senior at the NCLH helm, there was little worry that “his baby” (O)  would ever get the short end of the stick. 
But, that was then and this is now. Moreover, FDR Jr (now heading up O) remains an uncertain as regards his familial devotion to the brand.

I think my opinion lines up more with yours than @njhorseman.

Too much money has been lost by all of the cruise lines and having sailed both Regent and Seabourn last year, having an Oceania and Ss in the offing and reading all the boards on here corporate appears to be dictating and the quality of offering is definitely not on an upward trend! Doesn't stop me sailing but I have learnt to temper my expectations.

Edited by Techno123
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

We agree regarding Polo.  Keep in mind that our cruise is longer and what is good the first time can fade as one has more chances to test the menus.

Absolutely correct. You a truly fortunate to travel as you do a true blessing 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Techno123 said:

I think my opinion lines up more with yours than @njhorseman.

Too much money has been lost by all of the cruise lines and having sailed both Regent and Seabourn last year, having an Oceania and Ss in the offing and reading all the boards on here corporate appears to be dictating and the quality of offering is definitely not on an upward trend! Doesn't stop me sailing but I have learnt to temper my expectations.

I wasn't at all suggesting that corporate headquarters hasn't been strongly influencing what the subsidiary cruise lines are offering. That's always the case in any business. I worked as head of strategic planning at a huge company with billions in assets that was the subsidiary of an even bigger company. We didn't have a free hand in what we did. We were always controlled by the guidance of headquarters.

I was merely pointing out that the senior corporate executives at NCLH were not and are not evil ogres from a corporate takeover as some mistakenly believe...they were and are Oceania executives, not NCL executives.

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Vallesan said:

Red Ginger…. well for us the ‘miso glazed sea bass ‘ is just too sweet. I agree that the food verges on bland although we have enjoyed the duck and watermelon salad in the past. I think we eat there knowing it’s not ‘authentic’ it’s just a change from the GDR.

I agree.

We enjoy good seafood and on our first Oceania cruise we couldn't wait to try the miso-glazed sea bass based on all the comments made here. It was awful. They ruin a potentially good piece of fish with a cloyingly sweet glaze. Most everything else in Red Ginger is "meh" at best.

• Like 1

As a cruise fan,I think we can all overthink policy.  To this frequent cruiser I could care less about mergers or senior management.  What matters is what we experience onboard.  If there is no prime rib in Polo, that is a fact.  Speculating about who made the decision does not matter.  It still sucks.  That being said, many of us can plead guilty to trying to understand bad decisions.

Hank

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Anna1111 said:

Do you know if the third person sleeps on a sofa bed or if they put an extra bed? I'm afraid it won't be comfortable.

It depends on the ship/cabin. Most of the 3rd person beds are sofas (someone who has slept on one will need to chime in as to comfort). However, there are some inside cabins (only on R-ships) with pull down (from ceiling) beds.

Hlitner - I keep forgetting that you are on the ship for so long and having multiple meals at specialty places.  I would also get sick of the Miso Glazed Seabass if I had it more than twice in a couple of weeks.  In fact, I would be sick of spending more than 2 weeks on the ship, period!   The longest booked cruise on Oceania was 10 days. And that was cut down to 8 days.  I was ready to get off after the Noro went around (luckily, did not get it.)  The other 2 cruises have been 7 days and that was fine.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Anna1111 said:

Do you know if the third person sleeps on a sofa bed or if they put an extra bed? I'm afraid it won't be comfortable.

Your questions would be better on their own thread instead of this live from thread. 

• Like 1

Well, it's about budget as prices go up for food (have you eaten in a restaurant lately) you really can't expect cruise prices to stay the same, they have to go up if you want what you use to have on any line.  A few months ago I was on the Nova (Silversea), food wasn't that great, I think it's problem on every cruise line.  Fact is if you want service, food on the upper end, we're going to have to pay for it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

Well, it's about budget as prices go up for food (have you eaten in a restaurant lately) you really can't expect cruise prices to stay the same, they have to go up if you want what you use to have on any line.  A few months ago I was on the Nova (Silversea), food wasn't that great, I think it's problem on every cruise line.  Fact is if you want service, food on the upper end, we're going to have to pay for it.

But if you pay the increased prices to receive what you hope you used to have on any line, and we all keep reading that isn’t happening, where is the solution? Agree. Prices are up. Significantly. If one pays those prices, it seems fair to expect some type of value. 
Hiltner, really enjoying your live and balanced updates. Seems like your overall assessment is pretty positive. Your issues (excursions, etc) seem valid and should be addressed by O. 
Agree, Malta is one incredible sail in. Loved every minute of it! 

9 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

But if you pay the increased prices to receive what you hope you used to have on any line, and we all keep reading that isn’t happening, where is the solution? Agree. Prices are up. Significantly. If one pays those prices, it seems fair to expect some type of value. 
Hiltner, really enjoying your live and balanced updates. Seems like your overall assessment is pretty positive. Your issues (excursions, etc) seem valid and should be addressed by O. 

It is difficult to find post-COVID quality even at increased prices. And that's unfortunate. I hope that the pruce increases would result in maintaining quality but not necessarily so. My experiences on Explora Journeys the exception but at high prices 

39 minutes ago, Vineyard View said:

But I agree--when one pays the proper amount (what even that is) one should expect and get better food, service.  If that doesn't happen you have the right expect what you get or move on. I when with Regent for about 9 or 10 cruises, then when I wasn't happy I moved my business to Silversea---that really didn't pan out.  So I know what I had with "O", and I'm coming back.  I don't drink, and hardly do any excursions, those I paid extra both on Regent and Silversea.  I cruise for the cruise, time along and during very little.  I enjoy a nice large Suite with the amenities, "O" has both Regent and Silversea beat for what I want.  I hope the meals are better than just OK, but I'm sure along the way I'll have a few nice lunches off the ship.  Everybody has their own Idea what a cruise is to them.  I don't mine paying for what I get, as long as we enjoy the time away--otherwise we'll move on to someone who wants are business.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Waltershipman said:

It is difficult to find post-COVID quality even at increased prices. And that's unfortunate. I hope that the pruce increases would result in maintaining quality but not necessarily so. My experiences on Explora Journeys the exception but at high prices 

Explora Journeys are an exception for a number of reasons;

(1) EJ didn't exist prior to COVID so there's no way to do a "before and after" comparison. Perhaps if EJ existed prior to COVID you'd be saying "They're as good as they always were but prices are 50% higher now". 

(2) It's part of the MSC group which is privately owned and is believed to not have run up the level of debt publicly traded cruise companies did during the COVID shutdown because the profitability of their cargo ship operations was sufficient to subsidize any cruise business losses.

(3) As a privately owned company MSC doesn't answer to Wall St. and can take the path back to normal profitability its private owners want, not the path that investment bankers and its creditors want. The publicly traded companies are under great pressure to return to normal profitability and repay COVID debit at the rate Wall St. wants.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Explora Journeys are an exception for a number of reasons;

(1) EJ didn't exist prior to COVID so there's no way to do a "before and after" comparison. Perhaps if EJ existed prior to COVID you'd be saying "They're as good as they always were but prices are 50% higher now". 

(2) It's part of the MSC group which is privately owned and is believed to not have run up the level of debt publicly traded cruise companies did during the COVID shutdown because the profitability of their cargo ship operations was sufficient to subsidize any cruise business losses.

(3) As a privately owned company MSC doesn't answer to Wall St. and can take the path back to normal profitability its private owners want, not the path that investment bankers and its creditors want. The publicly traded companies are under great pressure to return to normal profitability and repay COVID debit at the rate Wall St. wants.

You are truly correct

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Anna1111 said:

Just off Vista yesterday in Valletta. My friend and I share OCs and on both Vista and Riviera we used the sofa bed; Riviera Queen size bed in the living room and Vista twin in the new "guest room" and both were comfortable, not as comfortable as the king size bed in the bedroom (I'm 6'3"). FWIW, we switch rooms ever 6 days and it's more affordable than booking two solo PHs. On Marina and Riviera (pre-reno) we used a rollaway in the entertainment room and the sofa beds are definitely more comfortable. I imagine the sofa beds in other cabins are of similar quality.

BTW, the new guest bathroom on Vista in the OCs is awesome with lots of space and huge shower.

A few design issues with the OCs on Vista though. Guest bathroom light switches were upside down, with off switch on the top and on switch on the bottom. Guest bathroom sink faucet does not come equipped with, or adaptable for, an aerator so water comes out quite forcefully and splatters about so one learns to be careful and turn on water slowly and to a low degree. No 110 power, USB or USB-c outlets in the guest room, no OFF switch for lights in guest room (you have to push All Lights Off on master switch by front door - right outside guest bedroom), living room couch is too deep and uncomfortable for extended sitting, like reading a book or watching a movie. Watch out for your knees when sitting on chairs on either side of dining room table due to the fashionable table support structure, and watch out for your head when standing up after sitting in chair on veranda end of dining room table as chandelier is not centered on the table and you'll probably hit your head on it as I did a couple times. Desk is way too high to be used as a desk. Door to master bath does not stay open as it does on Marina and Riviera OCs, instead they have one of those old fashioned triangular rubber doorstopper.

BUT, still overall OC design on Vista is quite nice and bathrooms, especially if you use both, are a vast improvement. They got rid of whirlpool baths in bathroom and on the veranda, but for us that's OK since we never used them. Other than the shortcomings mentioned above lighting and audio controls are a big improvement over those on Marina and Riviera.

Edited by Fam_Cruise
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fam_Cruise said:

Just off Vista yesterday in Valletta. My friend and I share OCs and on both Vista and Riviera we used the sofa bed; Riviera Queen size bed in the living room and Vista twin in the new "guest room" and both were comfortable, not as comfortable as the king size bed in the bedroom (I'm 6'3"). FWIW, we switch rooms ever 6 days and it's more affordable than booking two solo PHs. On Marina and Riviera (pre-reno) we used a rollaway in the entertainment room and the sofa beds are definitely more comfortable. I imagine the sofa beds in other cabins are of similar quality.

BTW, the new guest bathroom on Vista in the OCs is awesome with lots of space and huge shower.

A few design issues with the OCs on Vista though. Guest bathroom light switches were upside down, with off switch on the top and on switch on the bottom. Guest bathroom sink faucet does not come equipped with, or adaptable for, an aerator so water comes out quite forcefully and splatters about so one learns to be careful and turn on water slowly and to a low degree. No 110 power, USB or USB-c outlets in the guest room, no OFF switch for lights in guest room (you have to push All Lights Off on master switch by front door - right outside guest bedroom), living room couch is too deep and uncomfortable for extended sitting, like reading a book or watching a movie. Watch out for your knees when sitting on chairs on either side of dining room table due to the fashionable table support structure, and watch out for your head when standing up after sitting in chair on veranda end of dining room table as chandelier is not centered on the table and you'll probably hit your head on it as I did a couple times. Desk is way too high to be used as a desk. Door to master bath does not stay open as it does on Marina and Riviera OCs, instead they have one of those old fashioned triangular rubber doorstopper.

BUT, still overall OC design on Vista is quite nice and bathrooms, especially if you use both, are a vast improvement. They got rid of whirlpool baths in bathroom and on the veranda, but for us that's OK since we never used them. Other than the shortcomings mentioned above lighting and audio controls are a big improvement over those on Marina and Riviera.

I am also glad they took out those whirlpool baths outside.  Had one in a Vista and Owners Suite (possibly also in an Oceania Suite but I don't remember).  Never used them and wondered who would !

3 hours ago, Fam_Cruise said:

upside down, with off switch on the top and on switch on the bottom.

That is how switches always are here in the UK. Off is like this .... /

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harters said:

That is how switches always are here in the UK. Off is like this .... /

I would understand if that were the case with all seven sets of light switches (actually light buttons), but this was the only set where the off button was on the top. Note the eighth set of buttons, in the guest room, didn't have an off button.

Good Day from the Med,

Today is a sea day (DW and I love sea days) and we are heading east, across the Med, on our way to Chania, Crete.  At the moment we are making just over 19 knots, which is close to top speed on the Vista.  With a stiff (over 30 knot) Northeasterly wind, this means that the wind over the decks is in excess of 50 knots!  Hence, the Captain has ordered the closure of all outside deck areas above Deck 12.  

DW mentioned that she does think the Vista "rides well" in these kind of seas (3-4 meter swells into a stiff wind).  The ship is certainly moving enough that there are likely to be more than a few souls not feeling their best.  

Last evening, we had a lively crowd or about 100, in Horizons, for the 10:30 - 11:15 music/dance set.  At one point, the dance floor was really packed.  And then, at 11:15 sharp, the music stops.  We have mentioned this in a previous post, but "O" really should consider a later live music set, especially on nights before sea days.

Last night we also moved the clocks forward, another hour, which now puts us a full 7 hours ahead of Eastern Daylight Time.  That gets our ship onto Greek time which is where we will be spending the next few days.  

Dinner, last evening, was in the GDR where we were again seated with our favorite waiter.  DW and I are both constantly stuffed, from the good food here on Vista, so we both had a lighter dinner with a pasta/clams dish served in a white wine/olive oil sauce.  This dish is Vista's take on Pasta Vongole, a very popular item in Italy.  I finished dinner with the daily cheese plate (camembert, gouda, and gorgonzola).  All the cheeses were of top quality and served at the proper room temperature.  The gorgonzola was very creamy. and satisfied my craving for a decent blue cheese.  That dinner paired very nicely with the Macon Village wine offering that is on the normal "by the glass" list.  Lunch (a few hours ago) was in Waves where I was reunited with the surf/turf burger (Wagyu beef burger topped with chunks of lobster and an herbal mayonnaise.  

I have never mentioned the ship's library, and it is deserving of some attention.  It consists of two rooms located on the opposite side of the ship from Barista's with a connecting route between the two venues.  This space would certainly qualify for a prize as one of the more attractive "libraries at sea."  

Hank

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Sounds like you're having a great time, thank you so much for taking the time to report and post your personal feelings regarding this cruise.  Enjoy and safe travel thought out your trip.  Looking forward to your next post.

• Like 2