Groundhog Day

Messybill

Dear Viking Guest, 

Thank you for choosing Viking for your upcoming Far East & Alaska voyage. We would like to take a moment to advise you of a change in your itinerary.

As you may be aware, schedule or itinerary changes may become necessary due to a number of variables. In this instance, we are unable to secure sufficient motor coaches in Dutch Harbor, Alaska. As a result, we will now spend an additional day in Seward, Alaska in place of Dutch Harbor. The port order has also been slightly revised:

Date

Original Itinerary

Revised Itinerary

May 4, 2024

Dutch Harbor, Alaska

Day at Sea

May 5, 2024

Day at SeaKodiak, Alaska

May 6, 2024

Kodiak, AlaskaSeward, Alaska

May 7, 2024

Seward, AlaskaSeward, Alaska

To see your updated itinerary in full, please visit MyVikingJourney.

A shore excursion program for your additional day in Seward will be available to book shortly on MyVikingJourney. Your Kodiak shore excursion program has been adjusted automatically.

Thank you for your understanding. We trust you will find the alternative arrangements enjoyable.

Should you have any questions regarding this update before your departure, please contact your Travel Advisor or Viking at 1-855-300-3970, between 5:00 AM and 7:00 PM, PT.

We look forward to welcoming you on board and wish you a wonderful journey.

Sincerely,

Viking

So basically, Viking figured out they have to do two May 2nds, so they canceled Dutch Harbor?   Just kidding -- that's ridiculous.  But now we get two days in Seward instead.  Pretty sad really.  Dutch Harbor looks like it was about the most interesting place we are going in Unalaska (the Aleutian Islands), and there are plenty of others that we won't get to see. 

19 minutes ago, Messybill said:

@Heidi13 do you have any thoughts about why Viking might make this kind of change?  And what are your thoughts on Dutch Harbour?    Thanks.

From the Viking email: In this instance, we are unable to secure sufficient motor coaches in Dutch Harbor, Alaska.

4 minutes ago, Haqdeluxe said:

From the Viking email: In this instance, we are unable to secure sufficient motor coaches in Dutch Harbor, Alaska.

For Dutch Harbor On Your Own?   Really?  Maybe they should check Uber.

2 hours ago, Messybill said:

@Heidi13 do you have any thoughts about why Viking might make this kind of change?  And what are your thoughts on Dutch Harbour?    Thanks.

Haven't been to Dutch Harbour before, so would be disappointed to miss it.

You would think that during the itinerary planning phase the shore-ex people would have already confirmed availability of sufficient infrastructure to provide the requisite included tours.

Bad show to publish an itinerary and then determine lack of infrastructure. 

This happened to us twice on our Hawaiian sojourn cruise last month.  About a year out, they said we had to skip Hilo because of “dock issues.”  So we got two days in Honolulu instead. OK.  Well then a couple of months before the cruise, we got a notice that we would not be going to Kauai because they couldn’t get sufficient shore ex.  Instead we would be going to Hilo.  Viking’s veracity is in question I think.  

• Like 1

Shore excursions rely on humans to drive and guide. There is a shortage of both pretty much everywhere. What a local tour company promises a year out is not necessarily what they can deliver. People move, quit, get sick. Human infrastructure is the least reliable part of planning.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

You would think that during the itinerary planning phase the shore-ex people would have already confirmed availability of sufficient infrastructure to provide the requisite included tours.

It doesn't forgive the lack of foresight, but in looking at the original shoreEx, the buses ran every 15 minutes from 8:30 until departure. Depending on the route time, it might have required up to 8 buses to keep the schedule alive. I'm not sure how many there might be in DH, but I suppose it's possible that a "bus flu" has impacted the fleet ...

As well, the dockage looks very commercial, so I suspect there is no option for pax to wander off by themselves due to safety / security concerns.

Frustrating, we were looking forward to a unique stop. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Zippeedee said:

Shore excursions rely on humans to drive and guide. There is a shortage of both pretty much everywhere. What a local tour company promises a year out is not necessarily what they can deliver. People move, quit, get sick. Human infrastructure is the least reliable part of planning.

You are missing my point.  Which is that Hilo during that time frame either has a usable port or it didn’t.   I know that things change.  But to change and then chance back without explanation is just plain not honest.  Look, I have been on a lot of VO cruises, including a WC.  I know things change,  I am good with that.  But this is just plain not honest!

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

You are missing my point.  Which is that Hilo during that time frame either has a usable port or it didn’t.   I know that things change.  But to change and then chance back without explanation is just plain not honest.  Look, I have been on a lot of VO cruises, including a WC.  I know things change,  I am good with that.  But this is just plain not honest!

My post is below your post but not in response to it. I was commenting on the lack of busses in Alaska.

9 hours ago, Zippeedee said:

I think the point is, "what did they know, and when did they know it?"

13 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

This happened to us twice on our Hawaiian sojourn cruise last month.  About a year out, they said we had to skip Hilo because of “dock issues.”  So we got two days in Honolulu instead. OK.  Well then a couple of months before the cruise, we got a notice that we would not be going to Kauai because they couldn’t get sufficient shore ex.  Instead we would be going to Hilo.  Viking’s veracity is in question I think.  

That’s true.

16 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Dutch Harbor was my northern terminus for a few years back a ways.  Not surprising that there is a shortage of motor coaches in DH.  It is a well protected natural harbor on Unalaska Island, one of the Aleutian Islands.  There is a seaman's bar in town where a sign proclaims " Dutch Harbor, it's not the end of the world but you can see it from here".   And that's the truth.  Had the thrill of flying out of there a couple of times on Mark Air.  A company that flew 737s configured for some passengers and a lot of freight on the main deck.  The most interesting thing at the time was the airstrip (can't call it an airport really) built in WWII and the bunkers in the hills surrounding the field.  It is a short runway that really is a thrill ride.  As to DH itself, its reason for existing has been the fishing, crabbing fleets.  Lots of seafood handling places but not very scenic.  But then Seward is no Ketchikan either....🥃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, millybess said:

I think the point is, "what did they know, and when did they know it?"

That’s true. I’ve been moved around in shady ways by another cruise line. I hope Viking doesn’t start that chaos just to save money.

9 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Dutch Harbor was my northern terminus for a few years back a ways.  Not surprising that there is a shortage of motor coaches in DH.  It is a well protected natural harbor on Unalaska Island, one of the Aleutian Islands.  There is a seaman's bar in town where a sign proclaims " Dutch Harbor, it's not the end of the world but you can see it from here".   And that's the truth.  Had the thrill of flying out of there a couple of times on Mark Air.  A company that flew 737s configured for some passengers and a lot of freight on the main deck.  The most interesting thing at the time was the airstrip (can't call it an airport really) built in WWII and the bunkers in the hills surrounding the field.  It is a short runway that really is a thrill ride.  As to DH itself, its reason for existing has been the fishing, crabbing fleets.  Lots of seafood handling places but not very scenic.  But then Seward is no Ketchikan either....🥃

Jim, your flight story reminded me of a similar one from San Juan to Tortola many years ago. Aircraft was a 'vintage' DC3 (a good thing, as they are indestructible). When a few late arrival pax showed up, they moved a few goats farther back and strapped in additional seats. 

Critters and pax all landed safely. 🍺🥌

• Haha 2

On 3/29/2024 at 11:15 AM, CurlerRob said:

It doesn't forgive the lack of foresight, but in looking at the original shoreEx, the buses ran every 15 minutes from 8:30 until departure. Depending on the route time, it might have required up to 8 buses to keep the schedule alive. I'm not sure how many there might be in DH, but I suppose it's possible that a "bus flu" has impacted the fleet ...

As well, the dockage looks very commercial, so I suspect there is no option for pax to wander off by themselves due to safety / security concerns.

Frustrating, we were looking forward to a unique stop. 🍺🥌

Dutch Harbor is not a cruise port nor does it want to be a cruise port.  It is a fishing town with a hotel, bars, and lots of commercial fishermen.  I’d be shocked if they had half a dozen buses in town and if they do, they’re probably old school buses. It’s a really interesting place with a cool history and a lot of eagles, but not much to do for cruise passengers.  They are also famous for their police blotter ( google NPR “Small Town’s Police Blotter is a Riot”). There may be some activity going on in town and the buses simply aren’t available.  BTW, Dutch is the 2nd most frequently missed port in the world after the Falkland Islands because of weather.  

• Like 1