Groundhog Day

Messybill

We will be on board Viking Orion from Hong Kong to Vancouver.  Our Viking Calendar says we will be crossing the IDL on Thursday May 2.  It seems to me that if indeed we do cross that line (and I am sure we will), there must necessarily be a -23h time change that night -- meaning -- we will wake up the following morning on Thursday May 2nd.   We have reservations for Manfredi's on May 2.   Do we, like Bill Murray, have to order the same meal again?   Any advice especially from experienced cruisers (@heidi13, @Jim Avery) would be greatly appreciated...

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Messybill said:

We will be on board Viking Orion from Hong Kong to Vancouver.  Our Viking Calendar says we will be crossing the IDL on Thursday May 2.  It seems to me that if indeed we do cross that line (and I am sure we will), there must necessarily be a -23h time change that night -- meaning -- we will wake up the following morning on Thursday May 2nd.   We have reservations for Manfredi's on May 2.   Do we, like Bill Murray, have to order the same meal again?   Any advice especially from experienced cruisers (@heidi13, @Jim Avery) would be greatly appreciated...

Jim and Andy might have other memories, but I remember we crossed the IDL on March 2.  It just disappeared, and at a certain hour it became March 3.  They had a special birthday party for the few who had missed their special day.  And I remember the Captain talking about how he loved the IDL, because if he had a bad day he could skip over it, or coming back, if a good, one he could live it again.  Groundhog Day style.  It is a bit disconcerting.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Messybill said:

You must have been going west?

Yes.  I realized after I wrote this that you would be going East.  We were on he 2019 WC on the way to Australia etc.  so you will get the groundhog day effect.  But I think all the WCs go east.  I would love to do your cruise, but we did Alaska last year, and wouldn’t want to repeat that.  

20 hours ago, Messybill said:

We're still interested in the answer -- does May 2nd happen twice?  We thought @Heidi13 and/or @Jim Avery might know the answer.  But if anyone else wants to chime in........

18 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

I would love to do your cruise, but we did Alaska last year, and wouldn’t want to repeat that.  

I'm interested in why you wouldn't do Alaska again.  Is it because there are too many cruise ships?  

13 minutes ago, millybess said:

I'm interested in why you wouldn't do Alaska again.  Is it because there are too many cruise ships?  

There are certainly a lot of cruise ships, but we’ve done Alaska multiple times and there is still a lot of the world to see.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, millybess said:

We're still interested in the answer -- does May 2nd happen twice?  We thought @Heidi13 and/or @Jim Avery might know the answer.  But if anyone else wants to chime in........

Yes, as soon as you cross the line you go back to the previous day.  So going West across the line you would get two May 2 and going East you would get no May 2.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, SantaFe1 said:

Yes, as soon as you cross the line you go back to the previous day.  So going West across the line you would get two May 2 and going East you would get no May 2.

Thanks @SantaFe1  So that begs this question:  If we have a dinner reservation on May 2nd, do we get to eat there twice?  It's not important, but it is interesting to understand how the ship handles that.  

4 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Reminds me of the episode of Silicon Valley when the tech billionaire built his manufacturing plant on a platform on the international date line because he wanted to celebrate two New Year's Eves.

7 minutes ago, millybess said:

Thanks @SantaFe1  So that begs this question:  If we have a dinner reservation on May 2nd, do we get to eat there twice?  It's not important, but it is interesting to understand how the ship handles that.  

Well, I think like the couple of people who missed their March 2 birthdays on our WC crossing west to east, the ship will decide what it will do and do it.  Maybe they will label reservations May 2 #1 and May 2 #2, lol.

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Sorry but going West you lose a day.  Going East you repeat the day.  Just lost January 22 going Westbound over the IDL.🥃

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Sorry but going West you lose a day.  Going East you repeat the day.  Just lost January 22 going Westbound over the IDL.🥃

Yes, yes, yes.  I am directionally challenged.  I am going to stop talking on this topic…

• Haha 4

7 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

Yes, yes, yes.  I am directionally challenged.  I am going to stop talking on this topic…

Haha don't worry.  My dear wife still turns the wrong way out of the elevator just about every time.  And on her third Viking WC.  Second in 4046.  Talk about directionally challenged...🍸

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim Avery said:

Haha don't worry.  My dear wife still turns the wrong way out of the elevator just about every time.  And on her third Viking WC.  Second in 4046.  Talk about directionally challenged...🍸

I hate to admit this, but I do the same thing.  After a WC and 7 other VO cruises, and usually in the same room.  My husband now just automatically says “turn right” when the door opens.  

• Haha 2

On 3/23/2024 at 4:51 PM, Messybill said:

Sorry, missed this one yesterday. Affirmative, you will cross the IDL.

When crossing the IDL steaming West you skip a day. Steaming East from HK to Vancouver, upon crossing the IDL, the Cloxs are put back 24 hrs, so you will experience the same date again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

Thats why i like the forward elevators.  I always know where port and starboard are because i face the bow when i exit.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2024 at 5:55 AM, TayanaLorna said:

Thats why i like the forward elevators.  I always know where port and starboard are because i face the bow when i exit.

Same logic and reasoning for us as well!   Still doesn't stop Pam from turning the wrong way over 50 % of the time 🙂  

• Haha 2

On 3/24/2024 at 9:08 PM, Heidi13 said:

Sorry, missed this one yesterday. Affirmative, you will cross the IDL.

When crossing the IDL steaming West you skip a day. Steaming East from HK to Vancouver, upon crossing the IDL, the Cloxs are put back 24 hrs, so you will experience the same date again.

I admit, I'm confused.

I am on the same cruise as Millybess.  We are doing the North Pacific Passage cruise.

On May 2nd we cross the IDL.  My guest statement from Viking as well as My Viking Journey

only displays May 2nd once.  Shouldn't it be twice?  Sounds like I'm being cheated out of another sea day!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MikeyB said:

I admit, I'm confused.

I am on the same cruise as Millybess.  We are doing the North Pacific Passage cruise.

On May 2nd we cross the IDL.  My guest statement from Viking as well as My Viking Journey

only displays May 2nd once.  Shouldn't it be twice?  Sounds like I'm being cheated out of another sea day!

Affirmative, steaming Eastbound, the ship's logbook will have the same day and date listed twice, as the cloxs are retarded 24 hrs.

Steaming Westbound the cloxs are advanced 24 hrs, so they should show skipping an entire day.

• Thanks 1

I’ve done this cruise a few times from Japan to Alaska.  Everything seems to work out fine.  We all referred to 1st Sunday or 2nd Sunday as we crossed on Sunday.  I believe reservations were for May 6a and May 6b so people knew which night to show up. I will say the time changes were brutal.  We changed an hour every day at noon for six days.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

I will say the time changes were brutal.  We changed an hour every day at noon for six days.  

We learned this the hard way, too, on a TA from SJ to BCN. Next one, we booked for the other direction—BCN to BA (this October). We like our sleep!

On 3/27/2024 at 5:51 PM, MikeyB said:

I admit, I'm confused.

@MikeyB you might want to look at the new itinerary that came in your email.