Konningsdam Delayed Departure

Onboard Konningsdam and just departing San Diego after an approximate 5 hour delay. Just now leaving dock at approximately 21:30.

Unsure for the delayed departure, but not concerned. Good food, drinks and entertainment. All’s good by me….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad to hear your first night of stationary cruising was good.

There was a lot of "weather" across the country yesterday. There were plenty of flight delays. Almost all the ships leaving Fort Lauderdale were a couple hours late. I'm not sure if that would have impacted the West Coast though.

• Like 1

The cruise that ended was 35 days.  The logistics of loading on the south side of the pier presents problems....and then the rain came.

David

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

We think this is not the first time Koningsdam gas been  delayed  .Wasn't the 35 day  Hawaii /south Pacific cruise also delayed leaving before this 7 day Mexican Riviera cruise ?

We were on it a couple of months ago for a 7 day Mexican Rivera trip and were delayed because they couldn’t start the engines. Took 2-3 hours to fix but like you say it doesn’t hurt the experience other than missing the great views on the way out 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Riversedge said:

There was norovirus on the previous cruise.  Maybe they had to do an extra deep cleaning?

Could be. I've been on quite a few sailings delayed by cleaning from the previous cruise. It's a little jarring when boarding to see some busy crew moving around in hazmat suits, but there's never been any problems on any of my subsequent cruises, so apparently they do know how to handle it. Or my efforts to keep healthy work lol. Here's the CDC info for that sailing:

https://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2024/Koningsdam-3-8.html

Cruise Line: Holland America Line

Cruise Ship: Koningsdam

Voyage Dates: February 17–March 24, 2024

Voyage number: 286

Number of passengers who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of passengers onboard: 98 of 2,522 (3.89%)

Number of crew who have reported being ill during the voyage out of total number of crew onboard: 12 of 961 (1.25%)

Predominant symptoms: diarrhea, vomiting

Causative agents: norovirus

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This may be the reported number of ill passengers but there were hundreds who didn’t report to the medical clinic when very ill. Many wouldn’t pay the prices requested so just stayed away, I heard in conversations. We’ve just returned from this cruise and there were easily more than 1,000 ill passengers. I had Norovirus on Day 4 (perhaps already on the ship from previous cruise?) and a significant respiratory illness with a nasty nonending cough which those approx. 1,000 passengers, including my husband, had from about the midway point of the cruise. There were even cases of pneumonia diagnosed by the medical clinic according to a man with it who had been diagnosed that day. By then the extra safety protocols had been removed as the norovirus was controlled, I suppose. The respiratory illnesses then flourished rapidly with passengers again using shared serving utensils in the Lido buffet, many electing to forgo the handwashing machines or hand sanitizer machines and few sick passengers covering their mouths while hacking away. The entire ship sounded like a hospital ward inside and out. As an example, there were many of the cruise passengers on our flight home last evening and most were in fits of coughing throughout the flight. As the average age on this 35 day cruise was 78 years, I believe HAL should have kept the extra safety protocols in place for the duration of the cruise to try to minimize the illnesses on board. My husband and I feel fortunate we just lost 1.5 weeks of the cruise to illness as it could have been much worse.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2024 at 7:11 PM, DAllenTCY said:

Weather?.... Disney Wonder departed at 5 pm on the same course to Cabo San Lucas.

David

Well the norovirus was in mid February so why all of the sinister insinuations.   HAL has gotten a bit overly concerned about bumpy seas lately.  I was surprised on my prior cruise when I was asked to leave the promenade - I had to ask why and was informed that is was “rough”!  I think HAL’s clientele is prone to bumps and falls as I witnessed on my most recent cruise. (I am loyal to HAL’s itineraries, I just call it like I see it, neither a cheerleader or detractor)

• Like 2

When we embarked Noordam in San Diego, we were scheduled for a 18:00 departure but didn't get underway until about 22:00.  My parents are buried at Fort Rosecrans Cemetery, which all ships from San Diego Bay sail past to get out to the ocean.  We were permanently moving from San Diego to Australia and wanted to say our good-byes as we sailed past (they loved to cruise, also) but it was too dark to see anything.

• Like 2