Good memories~

Mike981

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

Forgive me, I am trying to upload a picture and for some reason it won't take.

IMG_4274(1).heic 879.45 kB · 17 downloads

Cool  we still have those,  plus cook books, recipe cards for food and drinks...and full sets of Royal C  glasses too.

Now  most everything is  for Sale. But I have the Art books No charge, and on ASCENT they gave postcard size portfolio of Art as well!

Our first was Mercury too, after Summit was canx.  Merc became our fav ship.. grear layout...brass, glass and beautiful wood..like a big yacht!

Thanks for the memories!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 2

Our second cruise but first with Celebrity was, 1994 on the Zenith. Compared to our first cruise we thought how does it get any better than this and the Zenith seemed so huge compared to the first ship. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Cool  we still have those,  plus cook books, recipe cards for food and drinks...and full sets of Royal C  glasses too.

Now  most everything is  for Sale. But I have the Art books No charge, and on ASCENT they gave postcard size portfolio of Art as well!

Our first was Mercury too, after Summit was canx.  Merc became our fav ship.. grear layout...brass, glass and beautiful wood..like a big yacht!

Thanks for the memories!

Perfect explanation hcat. We feel so fortunate to have Mercury be our be our first cruise. It was our honeymoon 10 years in the making and oh so worth the wait. 

Thanks again for your post.

@doghog I hear you. I don't remember the actual passenger numbers, but when we went from the Mercury to our second cruise on Millennium Milly seemed huge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, C-Dragons said:

Congratulations on your “Anniversary “ 😎

Our first was out of Miami to Cancun on Royal Majesty, Majesty Cruise Lines  to Celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary. The ship seemed huge.

First Celebrity in 2008 - Constellation

We Celebrated our Golden Wedding Anniversary on Eclipse B2B from Buenos Aires to San Diego. We had an overnight in BA on our actual Anniversary and celebrated by going to an amazing Tango Show with a group from the Roll Call.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Stumptowngal said:

Your photos of the glasses bring back good memories. We took our first cruise on the Celebrity Century in 2002. It was truly a whole different style of cruising then. 

It really was a different style of cruising then. I don't miss renting a tux or wearing a suit and tie though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the penguins said:

Our first was out of Miami to Cancun on Royal Majesty, Majesty Cruise Lines  to Celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary. The ship seemed huge.

First Celebrity in 2008 - Constellation

We Celebrated our Golden Wedding Anniversary on Eclipse B2B from Buenos Aires to San Diego. We had an overnight in BA on our actual Anniversary and celebrated by going to an amazing Tango Show with a group from the Roll Call.

Sorry intended to include longest cruise - Solstice 5 x B2B - 3 cabin categories, inside, sea view and first balcony -  Auckland to Seattle - 60 nights. Fantastic. Oh yes and the 90 day total trip started off with days 2 and 3 with both of us in hospital in LA with food poisoning.

4 hours ago, Mike981 said:

It was our first cruise @C-Dragons on the Mercury. I found two of our drink glasses from that cruise.

Our first cruise was also on Mercury in 1999 over Thanksgiving!!  We had a Sky Suite on one of the upper floors.  The room was standard but the balcony was enormous, we could have thrown a party out there!!!!  I remember the MDR ran out of turkey on Thanksgiving day at the late dinner seating.

...Oh yes and the 90 day total trip started off with days 2 and 3 with both of us in hospital in LA with food poisoning.

Now that's good memories!  😆

I think I got the picture to work. Thank you @omahabob.

@Gracie115 you reminded me of how anxious I was to eat in the MDR. I remember sitting down the first time and seeing all the plates and silverware and having no idea what to do. The assistant waiter saw my bulging eyes and came over and pointed to the silverware and gently said, "start from the outside and work your way in. Easy"

Another wild thing was the wait staff. We were seated at a table of ten and the head waiter came to take our orders and with no note pad or anything. People were asking for special changes and I was amazed at how he was able to remember it all, of course we were not his only table. I can't remember where he was from, but he would walk up behind you and say, "And you Sir?" Then he would turn away from you as you gave your order. At first it was very strange, but then we had fun with it.

Remember the crumb catchers? There was much more theater back then.

IMG_4274(1) Small.jpeg

• Like 2

Sorry intended to include longest cruise - Solstice 5 x B2B - 3 cabin categories, inside, sea view and first balcony -  Auckland to Seattle - 60 nights. Fantastic. Oh yes and the 90 day total trip started off with days 2 and 3 with both of us in hospital in LA with food poisoning.

As a person who has had food poisoning multiple times, I feel for you.

Our first cruise on Celebrity (and our first an Ever cruise!) was on Century to the Caribbean in 2020 with family.

my fondest memory was lounging in the shade by the pool thinking whose turn it was to go get some more pizza at the nearby pizza station.

we had been taking Land Tours for many years but finding a way to travel while only having to unpack Once was a revelation!

thinking all cruise line were probably like Celebrity our next cruise was on Carnival and boy was That a wake-up call!😆

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mike981 said:

As a person who has had food poisoning multiple times, I feel for you.

Not the way we had planned to kick off our retirement vacation. Total cost to our travel insurance was $20,000 (medical, extra hotels and new flights LA to Auckland) all settled without fuss and no increase on our next year's premium.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, the penguins said:

Not the way we had planned to kick off our retirement vacation. Total cost to our travel insurance was $20,000 (medical, extra hotels and new flights LA to Auckland) all settled without fuss and no increase on our next year's premium.

to put the $20,000 insurance bill in context the whole 90 day trip (flights London/LA/Auckland, Seattle/Dallas and Dallas/London), 5 x cruises, 14 nights touring in New Zealand, hotels, tours, 10 days in Dallas with family and all our spending money) came to $21,000.

Our first cruise was in '96 to Bermuda on the Meridian, a beautiful old ship which met a sad fate. I vaguely remember bouillon being available in a huge silver serving carafe on sea days.

Cruising was certainly more elegant in those days but we don't miss dragging tux and evening gowns.