Wine by the bottle with Premium package

How does the premium package work if you want a wine which is only available by the bottle? Can you do that? Is there a price point per bottle that is covered? I’ve looked everywhere and can’t seem to find an answer to that question. Many of the wines we like are not available by the glass, so wondering how that would work.  

we are in an edge villa suite but don’t think that would make any difference? 

thanks in advance. 

With the premium package you get a 20% discount on the bottle price. You’ll still pay a 20% gratuity but on the discounted price. Easy math is $100 bottle @ 20% discount is $80 plus $18 gratuity is $98. With gratuity you pay $2 less than the posted price, but $22 less than the bottle would cost without the package discount. ($100 + 20 = $120)

• Like 4

Super helpful. Thank you. I am glad the premium package is “included”… not sure it will have much value now. But maybe we just drink less wine this trip 🙂 it’s a good problem to have in life. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WineDown17 said:

Super helpful. Thank you. I am glad the premium package is “included”… not sure it will have much value now. But maybe we just drink less wine this trip 🙂 it’s a good problem to have in life. 

As in most restaurants, you’ll get much better wine by the bottle than by the glass. The package pays off if you’re mostly happy with the by the glass offerings, have a beer or cocktail or two, and throw in some bottled water. Then you get the discount on a good bottle or two. And don’t pay too much attention to the pennies! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WineDown17 said:

While it is not yet in place,  In the last Power Up Webinar, Laura said they were working on making select wines that are now only available by the bottle available to package holders for a add on price.    To my knowledge no implementation date was suggested.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

While it is not yet in place,  In the last Power Up Webinar, Laura said they were working on making select wines that are now only available by the bottle available to package holders for a add on price.    To my knowledge no implementation date was suggested.

This is the biggest difference between MSC and Celebrity. In MSC main dining room they just left the bottle on the table as there were 4 of us sharing the same wine. No extra cost on top of the package. Wise sommeliers/ Waiters just saved their feet.

11 hours ago, markeb said:

As in most restaurants, you’ll get much better wine by the bottle than by the glass. The package pays off if you’re mostly happy with the by the glass offerings, have a beer or cocktail or two, and throw in some bottled water. Then you get the discount on a good bottle or two. And don’t pay too much attention to the pennies! 

Thanks. After spending 20k+ I was hoping not to worry about pennies at all. I have none left 🤣 but that strategy seems right. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, WineDown17 said:

How does the premium package work if you want a wine which is only available by the bottle? Can you do that? Is there a price point per bottle that is covered? I’ve looked everywhere and can’t seem to find an answer to that question. Many of the wines we like are not available by the glass, so wondering how that would work.  

we are in an edge villa suite but don’t think that would make any difference? 

thanks in advance. 

Here’s an alternative that works as often as it doesn’t work…..

Early in the cruise, (not the first day, as it is generally more chaotic) speak with your sommelier and ask him/her what bottled wine you can get by the glass. Tell them you don’t mind paying an upcharge per glass. You need to get a handle on whether or not they are flexible or “by the book.” My suggestion is to first, have a look at the wines by the bottle list, and focus on those in the $60-$70(ish) price range. The reason I am suggesting this range is as follows…the premium beverage package covers wine up to $17/glass. If you factor in 4 glasses per bottle, you come in at $68. I wouldn’t suggest you press your luck on the more expensive wines.

The fact that you are in an Edge Villa will help a bit, but is not a slam dunk in your favour. If your sommelier is not open to this alternative, please don’t push, as the Celebrity staff work hard enough and you don’t want to be one of those people who enjoy causing a scene.

Remember, if you don’t ask…you’ll never know.

Randy

Randy

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Schmoe38 said:

Early in the cruise, (not the first day, as it is generally more chaotic) speak with your sommelier and ask him/her what bottled wine you can get by the glass. Tell them you don’t mind paying an upcharge per glass. You need to get a handle on whether or not they are flexible or “by the book.” My suggestion is to first, have a look at the wines by the bottle list, and focus on those in the $60-$70(ish) price range. The reason I am suggesting this range is as follows…the premium beverage package covers wine up to $17/glass. If you factor in 4 glasses per bottle, you come in at $68. I wouldn’t suggest you press your luck on the more expensive wines.

The fact that you are in an Edge Villa will help a bit, but is not a slam dunk in your favour. If your sommelier is not open to this alternative, please don’t push, as the Celebrity staff work hard enough and you don’t want to be one of those people who enjoy causing a scene.

Randy

Randy

This is a great approach. Thank you! 

4 hours ago, CeleryCruiser said:

This is the biggest difference between MSC and Celebrity. In MSC main dining room they just left the bottle on the table as there were 4 of us sharing the same wine. No extra cost on top of the package. Wise sommeliers/ Waiters just saved their feet.

We have had the same experience on Celebrity but the bottles of wine were the ones included in the premium package.

3 hours ago, Schmoe38 said:

Randy

Randy

Why I usually try to search out the Cellar Master and or Sommelier the first day to inquire about this.  I have always been able to get wines by the glass that are not listed on any drink menus.  

I just looked at the premium pkg. about 2 weeks ago and at that time Elegance Chard was included, but the Elegance Cab was $19. This was also true on EQ in Feb. Now the chardonnay is ALSO an up charge? 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, 39august said:

I just looked at the premium pkg. about 2 weeks ago and at that time Elegance Chard was included, but the Elegance Cab was $19. This was also true on EQ in Feb. Now the chardonnay is ALSO an up charge? 

What ship what venue? It's showing $17 on Summit in the MDR.

Edited by markeb
Changed Solstice to Summit

1 hour ago, 39august said:

The app for our sailing on the Edge from Australia in 10 days show Elegance Chardonnay at $20, which is the Premium Package limit out of Australia. 

On 3/25/2024 at 6:49 AM, CeleryCruiser said:

On our first Celebrity cruise with a beverage package (2015) that is what they did for us, left the bottle on the table. No more….