New to Oceania-please explain simply more offer with airfare vs. fare without airfare

yogagal47

we are looking at a cruise on Sirena-Amazon Trailblazer to the Brazilian Amazon. I am confused as to what is included on OCEANIA if you just book without airfare. Are wine and beer extra? What about wifi?  The Oceania website does not really make it clear what they include in the cruise only fares. Thanks for any help. Also-there are some truly terrible reviews for Sirena on Cruise Critic. Is this sour grapes or a concerning trend? We have hear such good things about the cruise line-sometimes from people we have met on Azamara Cruises!

1 minute ago, yogagal47 said:

we are looking at a cruise on Sirena-Amazon Trailblazer to the Brazilian Amazon. I am confused as to what is included on OCEANIA if you just book without airfare. Are wine and beer extra? What about wifi?  The Oceania website does not really make it clear what they include in the cruise only fares. Thanks for any help. Also-there are some truly terrible reviews for Sirena on Cruise Critic. Is this sour grapes or a concerning trend? We have hear such good things about the cruise line-sometimes from people we have met on Azamara Cruises!

Without air just means that, no airfare included.  You still get the House Select Beverage Package and the WIFI for two devices.  With regard to negative comments.  That is common throughout Oceania postings for whatever reason. I have my ideas on that, but…..We were recently on Sirena and had absolutely no issues with the cruise at all. Perfect? No, what is?  Perfectly wonderful to the point that saw no reason to whine on here. Was actually very nice. We were in a PH so did not have the small bathroom which some seem to have an issue with though. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, yogagal47 said:

... Are wine and beer extra? ...The Oceania website does not really make it clear what they include in the cruise only fares....

First, under SM you get their approved beer and/or wine at LUNCH or DINNER.

Second, you get FREE coffee, tea, juice, soda pop, still & sparkling water, smoothies, milk shakes/malts, etc. The usual traditional non-alcoholic daily beverages.

Third, you can BRING your own BEER, HARD LIQUOR and WINE on board at embarkation and in ports. You can drink your own beer and hard liquor in your cabin. And pay a $25 corkage fee to drink your own win in their restaurants.

(We sailed 10 nights on Sirena 11/2022 and loved it. B2 cabin. We've got 22 more nights on Sirena booked for Aug-Sept, F and C cabins.) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Everyone gets Simply More….drinks at meals, unlimited WiFi , and shore excursion credit.  If you choose with air, you get cost of plane tickets included.  That also includes transfers if you arrive on the day of embarkation or depart on day of disembarkation.  Since ships may be far from airports, this could be a welcome feature.  Also, if you book Oceania air, you can arrive or depart up to 3 days before or after your cruise without paying the extra deviation fee.  If you do it, you must arrange your own transfers.  I usually book my own air unless there is a good reason not to.  Last June, we booked very late. We chose Oceania air because we couldn’t find a decently priced airfare.  The arrangement got us to the cruise using a ridiculous routing. Going home was crazy.  We also booked air for our next cruise in May.  It’s the first cruise on Marina after being in dry dock.  If the ship is delayed, I will be disappointed. However, Oceania will refund the cruise and air. This time we got very good air flights.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for all these helpful responses. Our TA is going to call now to see if the listed guarantee cabins are really available for the veranda categories posted on the website for this cruise. We don’t mind taking a chance on a guaranteed cabin. 

Posted (edited)

We are first time Oceania “bookers” also. I just wanted to agree with your trepidation after reading the reviews on Cruise Critic. We won’t be on the Sirena but its sister ship the Regatta and I’m honestly baffled by the amount of negatively in stark contrast to word of mouth. Much more than any of the other lines we’ve sailed. Is this unique to Oceania, because it’s very odd?……and small bathrooms aren’t a deal breaker for me but wow on the general negative “reviews”. 🤔

Edited by durberville
  • Like 1

@yogagal47 

First, no idea what voyage you are considering but there is no $ benefit to book Guaranteed on O unless you are hoping to get a better upgrade. If you are really interested in the cruise, move to a Category that you can lock in your room and move on to booking tours and building your cruise dreams. 
Bathrooms, yes they are smaller, remember the R Class ships were 1999 vintage so large bathrooms were not necessary. The PH’s on O are 50% larger than the Veranda Staterooms so when on one of those ships, we always upgrade.  That said, we have also cruised 35 days on an ATW segment in a Veranda room and the bathroom was adequate..Oceania and Azamara are sailing the same ships so, small bathrooms but a beautiful and enjoyable ship and cruise. 

Negativity, I know some of it is deserved and some is not but some people take the “Critic” part of Cruise Critic to heart and think they are doing everyone a favor.  No, perhaps Regatta recently had issues and it won’t be perfect but she is a beautiful ship, the staff cares about you and works very hard to deliver a memorable experience. At least this is IMHO.  Take the cruise, enjoy yourselves and create your own opinions. If something is not right, please tell someone who can make it right.  If you have an unacceptable meal, have a quiet chat with the Maitre d so they can fix it. They want you back, it’s the name of the game. You will NOT be on a mass market monster ship with families and kids swarming about, you will have a well traveled traveler who is not intent on filling a plate 6” high in the Terrace Cafe because in a few hours, there is another wonderful meal coming. Believe me, you have to pace yourselves, too much of a good thing is still too much. 
Decide for yourself and turn off others negativity and cruise with realistic expectations. No line is PERFECT. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

We have just booked our second O cruise on the Vista. Our last one was 10years ago in a veranda on Insignia and my hubby had to make me promise that the bathroom was bigger (the toilet was crammed in at an angle).

Lots of complaints about the Vista too re inter cabin noise. We are hoping our neighbours turn the TV off early 😜

2 hours ago, Redtravel said:

We also booked air for our next cruise in May.  It’s the first cruise on Marina after being in dry dock.  If the ship is delayed, I will be disappointed. However, Oceania will refund the cruise and air. This time we got very good air flights.  

We will also be disappointed!

We booked thinking the ship may not be out of dry dock but now, considering they have cut way back on the refurbishment, we feel more optimistic. Our hotels can be cancelled but the flights can only be changed at a nominal charge. 

It will be what it will be!

2 hours ago, durberville said:

We are first time Oceania “bookers” also. I just wanted to agree with your trepidation after reading the reviews on Cruise Critic. We won’t be on the Sirena but its sister ship the Regatta and I’m honestly baffled by the amount of negatively in stark contrast to word of mouth. Much more than any of the other lines we’ve sailed. Is this unique to Oceania, because it’s very odd?……and small bathrooms aren’t a deal breaker for me but wow on the general negative “reviews”. 🤔

Don’t be put off. In general those who have great cruises don’t post in here!

Sailed on the R ships a number of times and never been disappointed. Go and enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Vallesan said:

We will also be disappointed!

We booked thinking the ship may not be out of dry dock but now, considering they have cut way back on the refurbishment, we feel more optimistic. Our hotels can be cancelled but the flights can only be changed at a nominal charge. 

It will be what it will be!

I got more enthusiastic when we were given flight info and were ticketed.  We got great flights with reserved seats together.  Now we hope that Marina sails ontime. see you onboard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mauibabes said:

@yogagal47 

First, no idea what voyage you are considering but there is no $ benefit to book Guaranteed on O unless you are hoping to get a better upgrade. If you are really interested in the cruise, move to a Category that you can lock in your room and move on to booking tours and building your cruise dreams. 
Bathrooms, yes they are smaller, remember the R Class ships were 1999 vintage so large bathrooms were not necessary. The PH’s on O are 50% larger than the Veranda Staterooms so when on one of those ships, we always upgrade.  That said, we have also cruised 35 days on an ATW segment in a Veranda room and the bathroom was adequate..Oceania and Azamara are sailing the same ships so, small bathrooms but a beautiful and enjoyable ship and cruise. 

Negativity, I know some of it is deserved and some is not but some people take the “Critic” part of Cruise Critic to heart and think they are doing everyone a favor.  No, perhaps Regatta recently had issues and it won’t be perfect but she is a beautiful ship, the staff cares about you and works very hard to deliver a memorable experience. At least this is IMHO.  Take the cruise, enjoy yourselves and create your own opinions. If something is not right, please tell someone who can make it right.  If you have an unacceptable meal, have a quiet chat with the Maitre d so they can fix it. They want you back, it’s the name of the game. You will NOT be on a mass market monster ship with families and kids swarming about, you will have a well traveled traveler who is not intent on filling a plate 6” high in the Terrace Cafe because in a few hours, there is another wonderful meal coming. Believe me, you have to pace yourselves, too much of a good thing is still too much. 
Decide for yourself and turn off others negativity and cruise with realistic expectations. No line is PERFECT. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

As I stated in my original post, we are looking at an Amazon cruise on the Sirena. We would want a veranda cabin, but the only ones available are both gty. Are you saying that if we book that category there is not actually a guarantee that we would even be on the cruise? It has always been my understanding on other cruise lines that if you book a guarantee, they will simply be assigning you, your cabin, maybe right before the cruise. I was under the impression that you would be up in the air as to whether or not, you were even on the cruise, and therefore could not book excursions?

If that was the case, I would not do it because then we would not be able to go ahead and book flights, knowing that we might not even end up going on the cruise. That just seems ridiculous. I do appreciate your positive outlook on this cruise line and since we like Azamara, I’m sure we would be happy.

11 minutes ago, yogagal47 said:

As I stated in my original post, we are looking at an Amazon cruise on the Sirena. We would want a veranda cabin, but the only ones available are both gty. Are you saying that if we book that category there is not actually a guarantee that we would even be on the cruise? It has always been my understanding on other cruise lines that if you book a guarantee, they will simply be assigning you, your cabin, maybe right before the cruise. I was under the impression that you would be up in the air as to whether or not, you were even on the cruise, and therefore could not book excursions?

If that was the case, I would not do it because then we would not be able to go ahead and book flights, knowing that we might not even end up going on the cruise. That just seems ridiculous. I do appreciate your positive outlook on this cruise line and since we like Azamara, I’m sure we would be happy.

You are guaranteed a cabin in at least that category. With regard to being able to book excursions while in guaranteed status, I am honestly not sure how that works if you are allowed to book excursions while in that status or not. Probably a good question for your TA to inquire with Oceania about. 

@yogagal47

I understand now.  I was trying to make the point that Booking the Guaranteed A-1 or 2, unlike some other lines, guaranteed bookings do not get a discounted price.i just prefer to make a decision knowing my room and start planning ahead.  If you book Sirena, I would suggest applying a Deposit as it is the best way for your Guarantee Booking to rise to the top when Cancellations come, and they will. Your trip is 18 days, Bridgetown to Bridgetown, if you can add a few extra days, I would suggest a different cruise.  I was looking at the 2024/25 O Calendar and I then looked at Insignias ATW which leaves Miami on Jan. 5, she sails her first segment for 22 days; thru the Caribbean, thru the Amazon to Rio, and there were A-3 rooms available and the price is $8599 for 4 additional days and you will get to visit Rio. We did this trip in reverse about 10 years ago on her and it is outstanding, loved some extra days in Rio too. Since it is the first leg of the ATW, you might even have some additional amenities or experiences with people who are just starting a bucket list trip. Check it out but just an idea if it can fit your availability. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

@yogagal47

I understand now.  I was trying to make the point that Booking the Guaranteed A-1 or 2, unlike some other lines, guaranteed bookings do not get a discounted price.i just prefer to make a decision knowing my room and start planning ahead.  If you book Sirena, I would suggest applying a Deposit as it is the best way for your Guarantee Booking to rise to the top when Cancellations come, and they will. Your trip is 18 days, Bridgetown to Bridgetown, if you can add a few extra days, I would suggest a different cruise.  I was looking at the 2024/25 O Calendar and I then looked at Insignias ATW which leaves Miami on Jan. 5, she sails her first segment for 22 days; thru the Caribbean, thru the Amazon to Rio, and there were A-3 rooms available and the price is $8599 for 4 additional days and you will get to visit Rio. We did this trip in reverse about 10 years ago on her and it is outstanding, loved some extra days in Rio too. Since it is the first leg of the ATW, you might even have some additional amenities or experiences with people who are just starting a bucket list trip. Check it out but just an idea if it can fit your availability. 
Enjoy,

Mauibabes

Gerry, focus. I think you know that a guarantee requires a deposit. Waitlist on the other hand.......optional, but you know that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, yogagal47 said:

Are you saying that if we book that category there is not actually a guarantee that we would even be on the cruise?

I don't think anyone is saying that. But, no, I have never seen a report of anyone with a guarantee on Oceania that didn't go on the cruise. Guarantee means just that, you're guaranteed a room. 

As already been explained, the difference from most other cruise lines is there is no price reduction for booking a guarantee. The only time might be when you are bumped up to a higher category. It does happen, but I wouldn't book a guarantee in one category thinking I'm going up. 

@ORV

My OOPS, as you said, lost focus 😇. Just trying to get across, minus my oops, if it were my decision, and it’s NOT, I would jump on the 22 day Insignia 2025 ATW First Segment. We have done an ATW segment as well as the Amazon/ Rio cruises and IMHO it is the Better cruise between the two and the Best Value. The only negative I see is having to make the longer flight home from Rio but seeing and experiencing Rio is well worth a longer flight. 
Sorry Yoga for sharing GTY misinformation, my comment really applied to Waitlisting on Oceania. 

Good luck with your decisions and thanks ORV. 

Mauibabes 

19 minutes ago, mauibabes said:

@ORV

My OOPS, as you said, lost focus 😇. Just trying to get across, minus my oops, if it were my decision, and it’s NOT, I would jump on the 22 day Insignia 2025 ATW First Segment. We have done an ATW segment as well as the Amazon/ Rio cruises and IMHO it is the Better cruise between the two and the Best Value. The only negative I see is having to make the longer flight home from Rio but seeing and experiencing Rio is well worth a longer flight. 
Sorry Yoga for sharing GTY misinformation, my comment really applied to Waitlisting on Oceania. 

Good luck with your decisions and thanks ORV. 

Mauibabes 

Our son lived in Brazil for 4 years so we have been to Rio a number of times and enjoyed it. Also we have cruised Azamara Rio to BA. I will check out that cruise however. 22 Days is a bit long for us though..I do appreciate all of the input on this board. 

@yogagal47

Just wanted to make sure you were getting good info to make decisions. Your experience in Rio lays to rest the benefit of taking Insignia from MIA to RIO but that is an excellent itinerary and with 22 days, probably a lower cost per day than the Barbados itinerary. We were booked into Barbados a couple years ago but there were Covid issues in South America and Marina was redirected to the Caribbean and our A B C island hop trip was restructured but was still fun.  Check out flights to and from Barbados, I think I still have some Jet Blue Credit based on flight cancellations as there are limited options. 
22 vs 18, No problem 🤪👍, especially when it is even cheaper.  Whatever you do, have a great time doing it on O. 
I think you and anyone new to O deserves help with O’s idiosyncrasies so I would prefer to offer assistance and actual experience rather than join the “Critics”. We joined the O family about 17 years ago so we do have experiences to share, like I said previously, some Good, Bad and Ugly but within our cruise world, it is pretty darn awesome.  Love getting aboard and having staff from “years” back come up to say hello. So many ABSOLUTELY GREAT young people, it keeps us young too.  

Good Luck,

Mauibabes

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mauibabes said:

We're doing a B2B and on the first 'leg', except for suites the entire ship was "guaranteed" status. I went ahead and did it but then got to reading. There is a slim but not unknown situation where passengers didn't get to board. I whined long enough that either my O agent buddy or my status-y TA perhaps talked to someone and eventually got a confirmed. I won't do that again.

8 minutes ago, clo said:

There is a slim but not unknown situation where passengers didn't get to board. 

I believe you are referring to a specific situation where several passengers were not able to board a Royal Caribbean cruise. I do not believe you are referring to an Oceania cruise, but if you are, please provide your source.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:
23 minutes ago, PhD-iva said:

I believe you are referring to a specific situation where several passengers were not able to board a Royal Caribbean cruise. I do not believe you are referring to an Oceania cruise, but if you are, please provide your source.

Yes. And I've also read about the enormous debt these companies are carrying and are or may do all manner of things to bring some in. YOU can book a guarantee (and see the whole ship had that status) but I sure won't.

I believe the fare that I booked includes zero extras.  No airfare, no drink package, no excursion credit, nada.

So I believe it's still possible to strip off all of that.  From what I could gather, booking a fare that included the extras didn't seem advantageous versus stripping out the "freebies" and taking a lower base fare.

I do get $300 from Amex Platinum, $150 from the travel agent and $100 shareholder credit, so $550 that I can put towards something or other.

29 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

I believe the fare that I booked includes zero extras.  No airfare, no drink package, no excursion credit, nada.

So I believe it's still possible to strip off all of that.  From what I could gather, booking a fare that included the extras didn't seem advantageous versus stripping out the "freebies" and taking a lower base fare.

If you did that, you booked under the old OLife plan, which is no longer available for new bookings.

• Like 2