RCCL SERVICE DOG INFORMATION

Can anyone with a MEDIUM to LARGE breed service dog tell me their experience with Royal Caribbean.
Or any service dog size. (I am asking large because I have a medium/large breed)

This is my first cruise with RCCL with him. When I called their accommodation number they aren’t able to (or didn’t know) anything about the cypress relief box other than say ask when you board, could be deck 4 or 5

No specific answers, and I have a lot of questions, (also when you board and ask the hotel management they aren’t as informative, the person you ask may not know where ALL of them are) 
 I have many questions. If you know the answers to any of these I’d appreciate to be as educated as I can BEFORE sailing. Here goes:
Are they placed in outdoor areas ONLY? Do they limit to a specific area and only one location of their choice? Are they in the “crew only” areas or open to the public areas OR BOTH? Do/will they place one (in the first appropriate area) that YOU request one to be?  Are they communal? If so, can you request one designated for your use only?

Next Topics;

On the pool deck how close to the pool are they permitted (I know they are not allowed in of course) I reserved casitas the entire week so he can have shade (and be away from children that want to play with him) Which is why I’d like to know about this…

They only say in the information page that crew is “not required” to accommodate them. Makes sense. However they do not say if crew are “allowed to” watch them (if you find an off duty crew member that’s willing to or you can pay to watch them)  Does RCCL HAVE a service upon reservation to watch them if you make prior arrangements to do so (free or payment required ) Are you allowed to leave them unattended in the cabin (if so is there a time limit) No swimming for me if none of the above available lol.
I hate having to ask someone all these questions when I board because I don’t want them to think I’m asking for special treatment. As you see I have a ton of questions, when you ask that many questions it can appear like I am looking to have those things or disappointed they don’t have those things. I’ve traveled others but this is my first cruise with RCCL. I am sailing on Icon and they have a dog crew member “Rover” which leads me to assume they have made Icon as accommodating as possible for her. 

FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT THINK YOU ARE FULLY EDUCATED ON SERVICE DOGS, UNLESS YOU HAVE ONE, I ASSURE YOU, YOU ARE NOT. Just because you read something somewhere, or because you know someone that has one, you are NOT FULLY versed

FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT LIE AND SAY YOURS IS A SERVICE DOG, SHAME ON YOU, you have no idea how hard you have made the lives of us that need/have one. The public knows you are lying and that amazon sells those vests and fake ID cards. STOP trying to pass your PET or ESA off as a TASK TRAINED SERVICE DOG. there is an HUGE DIFFERENCE between ESA and SERVICE 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Hello, welcome to Cruise Critic!

I have not sailed with a service animal, but I offer my assistance in leading you to other people who have....

Magically.Mozart on Instagram sailed with her service dog on Harmony of the Seas last year: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cufu4LqtvgU/

I opted for just the single service dog relief spot on the jogging track but an additional sod box on the balcony was available if pre-requested 30 days prior.

Cruising With Wheels on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLvKay70Fuo

Us and More on Youtube sailed with a service dog on Serenade of the Seas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cEG-TFFmzU

Yes, that’s the number I called and also have Just from the answers (each one was different) I received from that number. I called a few times and got different answers each time so I didn’t want to keep calling. It was obvious either that weren’t FULLY informed OR (which I think is the real reason) if they tell you the wrong thing on the phone people will be on the ship having a fight with (and you know that type will ask) a supervisor screaming at them “THEY TOLD ME WHEN I CALLED” 

Thats probably why in both my calls and a few emails back and forth they didn’t tell me EXACT information other than “either on deck 4 or 5, they’ll let you know when you board”

Maybe each ship has different rules but the one thing they are CERTAIN OF. There will DEFINITELY be at least one on the deck of where the running track is. Which on the  Icon which is (even I forgot but KNOW FOR SURE it’s on 4 or 5). 
Im on Icon and I’m hoping to get an answer from them because besides being the largest it’s the only ship that has a dog crew member, so maybe on Icon they have made available a multiple choice of choices. As being it’s the largest ship, I can’t imagine only having one. They must have at least 3 (Aft, Mid, Forward) 

or then again, you never know. maybe just Mid. Who knows (other than someone that has been on that ship) I hope it’s not forward. because I booked Aft. Dog relief wasn’t on my mind when I booked. Price was. 

While not for RCI, part of my job was ADA compliance with NCL. There will be one and only one "relief station" on the ship,  it will be used by any and all service dogs onboard.

You are not allowed to leave the service animal unattended in the cabin for any time, and you won't be able to "hire" a crew member to watch him.

Access on the pool deck is generally unlimited,  but as you know,  no entry into the pool. 

The "relief station" will be outside,  in passenger areas.

15 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

While not for RCI, part of my job was ADA compliance with NCL. There will be one and only one "relief station" on the ship,  it will be used by any and all service dogs onboard.

You are not allowed to leave the service animal unattended in the cabin for any time, and you won't be able to "hire" a crew member to watch him.

Access on the pool deck is generally unlimited,  but as you know,  no entry into the pool. 

The "relief station" will be outside,  in passenger areas.

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU! 
anyone else with a comment fire away. Got what I needed.. won’t be back.(that’s a lie, I’ll be back when I’m bored) I like to read and laugh at all the arguments people have in the comments. (Which I’m sure other service dog handlers are doing as well) 

39 minutes ago, LittleMissMagic said:

Hello, welcome to Cruise Critic!

I have not sailed with a service animal, but I offer my assistance in leading you to other people who have....

Magically.Mozart on Instagram sailed with her service dog on Harmony of the Seas last year: https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cufu4LqtvgU/

I opted for just the single service dog relief spot on the jogging track but an additional sod box on the balcony was available if pre-requested 30 days prior.

Cruising With Wheels on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLvKay70Fuo

Us and More on Youtube sailed with a service dog on Serenade of the Seas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cEG-TFFmzU

Little Miss Magic Thank You! Can’t wait to see her page. 

@DogDad27  I just got off Icon and while I do not have a service dog, I did six laps around the jogging track on every day of the cruise.  There is only one mulch relief station and it is located on Deck 5 in the area of the pink circle on the attached deck plan.

icon.pdf

You could check on your roll call on cruise critic or on F ay s book to see if anyone wants to hire out to watch your pup while you swim. People are kind. You should be able to find someone to help you. Sometimes people make friends who help them out. I have met a lot of lovely people here!

2 hours ago, DogDad27 said:

Yes, that’s the number I called and also have Just from the answers (each one was different) I received from that number. I called a few times and got different answers each time so I didn’t want to keep calling. It was obvious either that weren’t FULLY informed OR (which I think is the real reason) if they tell you the wrong thing on the phone people will be on the ship having a fight with (and you know that type will ask) a supervisor screaming at them “THEY TOLD ME WHEN I CALLED” 

Thats probably why in both my calls and a few emails back and forth they didn’t tell me EXACT information other than “either on deck 4 or 5, they’ll let you know when you board”

Maybe each ship has different rules but the one thing they are CERTAIN OF. There will DEFINITELY be at least one on the deck of where the running track is. Which on the  Icon which is (even I forgot but KNOW FOR SURE it’s on 4 or 5). 
Im on Icon and I’m hoping to get an answer from them because besides being the largest it’s the only ship that has a dog crew member, so maybe on Icon they have made available a multiple choice of choices. As being it’s the largest ship, I can’t imagine only having one. They must have at least 3 (Aft, Mid, Forward) 

or then again, you never know. maybe just Mid. Who knows (other than someone that has been on that ship) I hope it’s not forward. because I booked Aft. Dog relief wasn’t on my mind when I booked. Price was. 

I can't offer a lot of help on this but every Royal ship I have been on the relief area has been at the aft usually starboard side. 

23 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Please be sure to bring your service dog's vaccination documents, and the copy of RCI's acknowledgement that your service dog is expected on your cruise.

I would like to add to the above that if you plan on getting off in ports, make sure you have the required permits especially for the Bahamas/CoCo Cay.  

56 minutes ago, mscinmia said:

I would like to add to the above that if you plan on getting off in ports, make sure you have the required permits especially for the Bahamas/CoCo Cay.  

I remember several years ago someone outlining all the work and cost of making sure her service dog had all the appropriate vaccinations in the correct time frame as well as the paperwork for each island. I know there was one she chose to miss because of the onerous requirements.

Posted (edited)

I hope you get solid answers to help you feel comfortable. I have a service dog also and on my upcoming cruise, he is staying home. Too much for both of us on our first cruise. 🚢 

THANK YOU so much for your comments about fakes. People don’t realize how much of an investment a service dog is financially. And one attack from a fake can cause the legit service dog to be pulled from working. And then the handler needs to reinvest another $5-30k for another service dog that is a legit piece of medical equipment. Don’t get me going on this…..

TALK TO THE HANDLER NOT THE SERVICE DOG 

climbing off my soap box. 

Edited by Butters530
  • Like 2