Where to next?

Hello. We are taking our very first cruise, in just nine days, an eastern Caribbean cruise on  Celebrity Reflection. Ports of call are Puerto Rico, St. Marten, Tortola, St. Thomas, and the Dominican Republic. We think we’re going to love cruising, and if we love it as much as we think we will, we’d like to take one next year. We are already looking at different cruises and have narrowed it down to four.

One is a 10 day Princess cruise on the Enchanted Princess Ports of call are St. Lucia, Turks and Caicos, St. Thomas, Antigua, Dominica, and St Kitts.
One is a seven day Celebrity cruise on Celebrity Constellation. Going to Cozumel, Costa Playa, and Belize.
The third is a seven day Princess  cruise, on the Sky Princess. Ports are Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, and Princess Cays. 

Final choice is a seven night cruise on Celebrity constellation, ports of call are Cozumel, Belize, and Grand Cayman. 

I’m torn between these choices, because I’d very much like to see St. Lucia and Turks and Caicos. However, I’m also interested in seeing the Maya Riviera area and I’ve heard wonderful things about Belize.  Jamaica also looks very beautiful and I’m interested in seeing that island. Grand Cayman looks lovely, but probably holds a little bit less interest for me on its own, but might be very nice in combination with the others. As I said, we haven’t cruised before, but in general, we love, lush jungly scenery, mild adventures, and warm calm water on beautiful beaches.  Can anyone advise on which of these four choices looks best in terms of the ports of call? And also in terms of the ships themselves, I’m learning that the ship is very important to the overall experience. Thanks so much for any suggestions.

I'm going to add more confusion by suggesting another itinerary that would include Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao (The ABCs).  Depending on length of cruise, they depart out of south FL or Puerto Rico and are amongst our favorites.  Typically the port days there are longer extending into the evening as well.

But of those you've suggested I would probably lean towards the Princess 10-day.  Over the coming years you will hopefully have opportunities to do all of them and then the confusion will be which ones to go back on again.

Enjoy your first cruise!  Although ours was 32 years ago, we still remember that feeling - just about every time we board a ship.

• Like 5

I too lean heavily toward the Princess itinerary - the only disappointment with that itinerary (for me) is that the Turks & Caicos (Grand Turk island) call is a Carnival Corp,-owned beach. Yes, bars & cruisers' shops & sunbeds & such, and yes you can use your cruise card for purchases, but there's nowhere local to visit, no local character, all a bit cruise-corporate.

(Princess Cays on the Sky Princess is similar)

The other islands are so varied -  some volcanic. some rainforested, different produce, different peoples,. different colonial pasts.

All-in-all better IMHO than Mexico and Belize, altho swimming with wild stingrays on Grand Caymen is wonderful.

I'll also second the ABC islands - Aruba is a bit "Florida", Bonaire is small but great snorkelling, Curacao is my favourite - very Dutch. 

Cartagena in Columbia is often on the same itineraries as the ABC islands.

JB 🙂 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We did the ABC islands sailing out of NY.

I did not mean to imply that S. FL and PR were the only departure points - but just the more common.  Yours must have been a 10 or 12 day?

Thank you. It seems that the southern Caribbean cruise with Princess is the winner for next year. We can always go on one of the cruises that includes Mexico and Belize the following year. After the cruise we’re doing this year and then the southern Caribbean cruise next year, is it worth it to add Jamaica or Grand Cayman to the itinerary for cruises after that or perhaps more focus on the Mexican and Belize ports? Thanks again, this is very helpful.

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I did not mean to imply that S. FL and PR were the only departure points - but just the more common.  Yours must have been a 10 or 12 day?

It was a 12 day and a wonderful cruise.We were browsing in a store in Curaçao.I was wearing a Born in Brooklyn tee shirt.The owner of the store asked where in Brooklyn I grew up.Much to my surprise and his I lived in a house directly across the street from where he lived .

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Lorenky said:

Hello. We are taking our very first cruise, in just nine days, an eastern Caribbean cruise on  Celebrity Reflection. Ports of call are Puerto Rico, St. Marten, Tortola, St. Thomas, and the Dominican Republic. We think we’re going to love cruising, and if we love it as much as we think we will, we’d like to take one next year. We are already looking at different cruises and have narrowed it down to four.

One is a 10 day Princess cruise on the Enchanted Princess Ports of call are St. Lucia, Turks and Caicos, St. Thomas, Antigua, Dominica, and St Kitts.
One is a seven day Celebrity cruise on Celebrity Constellation. Going to Cozumel, Costa Playa, and Belize.
The third is a seven day Princess  cruise, on the Sky Princess. Ports are Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, and Princess Cays. 

Final choice is a seven night cruise on Celebrity constellation, ports of call are Cozumel, Belize, and Grand Cayman. 

I’m torn between these choices, because I’d very much like to see St. Lucia and Turks and Caicos. However, I’m also interested in seeing the Maya Riviera area and I’ve heard wonderful things about Belize.  Jamaica also looks very beautiful and I’m interested in seeing that island. Grand Cayman looks lovely, but probably holds a little bit less interest for me on its own, but might be very nice in combination with the others. As I said, we haven’t cruised before, but in general, we love, lush jungly scenery, mild adventures, and warm calm water on beautiful beaches.  Can anyone advise on which of these four choices looks best in terms of the ports of call? And also in terms of the ships themselves, I’m learning that the ship is very important to the overall experience. Thanks so much for any suggestions.

My two cents, though again the decision seems to have been made before I got here:

• I'll be on the Enchanted Princess in August (not in the Caribbean).  It's one of Princess' older ships.  My expectations are not very high for it.  I just hope it's good enough to hold together for my cruise. 🙏
  • I favor the Eastern Caribbean over the Western Caribbean, so I approve of your decision overall.  I think you'll especially love the jungle in St. Lucia.  Be sure to get an excursion to explore it.
  • The Western Caribbean stops you have on your listed cruises are all OK.  You'll find thinks to like about each of them once you get to visit them.

3 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

My two cents, though again the decision seems to have been made before I got here:

• I'll be on the Enchanted Princess in August (not in the Caribbean).  It's one of Princess' older ships.  My expectations are not very high for it.  I just hope it's good enough to hold together for my cruise. 🙏
  • I favor the Eastern Caribbean over the Western Caribbean, so I approve of your decision overall.  I think you'll especially love the jungle in St. Lucia.  Be sure to get an excursion to explore it.
  • The Western Caribbean stops you have on your listed cruises are all OK.  You'll find thinks to like about each of them once you get to visit them.

Thanks. Nothing set in stone yet so always time for more feedback. How bad is the Enchanted Princess? How might it differ from the Celebrity Reflection?

4 hours ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Are you perhaps confusing Enchanted Princess of 2020 with Emerald Princess of 2007?  EM

No worries at all. I appreciate your trying to help. I’m just relieved that the Enchanted Princess seems to be a good and modern ship. 😀

• Thanks 1

Setting itineraries aside, I applaud your openness to trying different cruise lines.  Especially as someone new to cruising, it's so important to try different cruise lines and ships for yourself.  It seems many people become loyal to a single cruise line and never stray.  People also tend to put too much weight on reviews and ship ages. Nothing replaces first-hand experience when it comes to finding what lines & ships best fit your style. 

• Like 1

the last time I was in Belize, maybe 7 years ago, I was told by the Port Police to not venture out of the area on my own.  Not very safe outside the gates ( he could have been lying, just so I would make my purchases in the port area).  Decided to do a ship excursion that did a river/mangrove cruise as well as a short city drive.   Maybe times have change now, but I dont think I will go back.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, 9tee2Sea said:

the last time I was in Belize, maybe 7 years ago, I was told by the Port Police to not venture out of the area on my own.  Not very safe outside the gates ( he could have been lying, just so I would make my purchases in the port area).  Decided to do a ship excursion that did a river/mangrove cruise as well as a short city drive.   Maybe times have change now, but I dont think I will go back.

I heard similar in about the same time period.  I assume it's still true.  I confess that I've never gone outside the port area in Belize without an excursion.

41 minutes ago, clo said:

OT but no interest in, say, Alaska or the Mediterranean one day? Regardless have a great time.

Hi. Actually, we’re considering a Alaskan cruise at some point. I assume Princess is the way to go for Alaska? We’ve been to Alaska twice, but never to the inside passage, so that is a temptation to take a cruise to see that area.
Similarly we have considered a couple of different European cruises, but we so love walking around the beautiful alleys and lovely towns in the evening, I’m not sure a European cruise would quite suit our style for Europe. Thanks for the thoughts, we’re really open to anything as long as it suits our travel style.

• Thanks 1