Panama Canal balcony vs window

We are looking at an ocean view room for a Panama Canal cruise.  I’m thinking that while we are going through the locks we will most likely be out on the top decks to get a full view even if we had a balcony.  Has anyone not had a balcony for that cruise and regretted it? 

Which ship?  Which Canal (historic or new)?  Full transit/Partial?

I made the mistake on my first transit.  I had a balcony and stayed in it the entire way through the locks.  I should have gotten out and moved about the ship.

If you are on the Coral or Island, there are some special doors that Princess will open for the transit. I would get a balcony just for the experience (rise and fall of ship).

If you are on a larger ship, then an ocean view will be just fine since there really isn't much to see.

I have been through both the old and new locks and have done full and partial transits. The best locations for viewing a P.C. transit are the open decks where you can walk around, get 360 degree views and easily hear the narration. In my opinion it is the way to go.  On both the Atlantic and Pacific sides it takes around two hours to transit three locks and another few hours for the approach or exit. If you are doing a full transit going through the Culebra Cut, which transits the continental divide, is also very interesting. Cabin type makes little difference for the canal transit. Select your cabin based on how comfortable you feel in that cabin and other factors, not based on the canal transit. 

What time of year are you going? April and May are really hot and humid. Even with a partially covered balcony, l found it too hot to sit outside for more than a few minutes. We’re leaving next month on a Panama Canal cruise and opted for an aft ocean view cabin. Unless you prefer a balcony cabin, it’s not necessary. The best views are from the decks.

My wife and I enjoyed the balcony so much on our Panama Canal cruise. We were up early , ordered coffee, mimosas , and breakfast and sat on our balcony for hours. The breeze, the sun rising as we were going under the bridges was spectacular. We turned the tv volume up and listened to the narrations throughout the morning. Definitely worth the price and not in a crowd of people. Later in the day had an plenty of center facing views of the various Canal locks on our Panama Canal excursion. Whatever you decide enjoy it was one of our favorite cruises!

As a civil engineer, I was geeking out going through the historic locks.  I would rather walk around on the open decks or the Promenade deck to see the wall go up and down. And then wandering from the front to back to see other ships in the locks.

We just returned from the Ruby on a Panama cruise with an inside cabin. Loved it!. We were in our room only to sleep and wash up---so much to see and do outside of the room.  We were aft-I love that part of the ship. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Which ship?  Which Canal (historic or new)?  Full transit/Partial?

I made the mistake on my first transit.  I had a balcony and stayed in it the entire way through the locks.  I should have gotten out and moved about the ship.

If you are on the Coral or Island, there are some special doors that Princess will open for the transit. I would get a balcony just for the experience (rise and fall of ship).

If you are on a larger ship, then an ocean view will be just fine since there really isn't much to see.

We are looking at a full transit (Pacific to Atlantic) on the Caribbean Princess through the new locks.  It’s not until September 2025.

We usually book balconies, but have 2 big cruises coming up; a mini suite reserve in November and a window suite for next February to Hawaii.  Those are both a big chunk of money so was trying to watch the budget a little bit on this one, but don’t want to be disappointed if a balcony is pretty much a must.

In my opinion, if you are on the Caribbean Princess, I would be okay in an Ocean View.  Just don't stay in your cabin.  There are so many great viewing locations on the ship (aft/Terrace Pool).  

Enjoy your Window Suite to Hawaii.

• Like 1

While balconies can be nice to have I am finding more and more that the reality is that I do not spend very much time sitting there....sure it is nice to be able to get fresh air etc but for me it is not worth the price difference.  Also as a solo sailer I find that with no balcony I spend more time out on the decks rather than sit by myself on a balcony.  In addition the budget opting for a no balcony room can save you enough money to do more cruises.  I would prefer to do two cruises with no balcony than one balcony cruise that blows the budget.

I do think there are a lot of cruisers who are sort of "two week millionaires" that figure they may only do one cruise every few years so they splurge on a balcony.  Solo travellers are usually paying double and don't really need a balcony as an extra "room" to get away from their cabin mate.  Those of us who do a couple of cruises most every year (who are not "wealthy") often opt for less expensive rooms.  To each his/her own.

IMO sitting on a balcony too much for panama canal means you will not see nearly as much as walking around on the decks.  I always seem to see more as I spend a lot of time out on the decks...some people don't care but to me a big attraction of a cruise is to sit and walk around outside and look at the ocean or the scenery which may well be only on one side of the ship.

Just my opinion but for me balconies are "overrated".

• Like 4

@dockman I am not a balcony person either.  I may peak my head out every few days.  Guess growing up in the islands....surrounded by ocean...makes a balcony less appealing.  As you mentioned, to each his/her own.

I used to have a travel mate that enjoyed the balcony.  She would be out there with her book dressed like Nanook of the North.  We would enjoy lunch together...I would be inside and she would be outside with door between us.

Now, Alaska is a slightly different story.  I could sit outside (weather permitting) and enjoying the scenery.  As for the canal....it really is best to be out and about.  

5 hours ago, partybarbie said:

What time of year are you going? April and May are really hot and humid. Even with a partially covered balcony, l found it too hot to sit outside for more than a few minutes. We’re leaving next month on a Panama Canal cruise and opted for an aft ocean view cabin. Unless you prefer a balcony cabin, it’s not necessary. The best views are from the decks.

Our next canal trip is early January one of my favorite time of year and on the Coral

• Like 1

Thank you for your responses.  I think we’re going to go ahead and book an obstructed ocean view room while there’s still some good rooms left that have good views and good prices!  We can always upgrade at a later date if we feel the need.  I’ve been spoiled the last year or two with mini suites and a couple of suites!  But, we’ve stayed in ocean views before and have been perfectly comfortable.  Because of the previous rooms we need to keep the cost down for this one.  This one is definitely a bucket list cruise!

We did a full transit thru the new locks, Pacific to Atlantic, on the Emerald Princess last October, we had a balcony on the port side aft.  For the same itinerary I would prefer a starboard forward balcony.  I was all over the ship during the transit, but my wife was cabin bound.  

3 minutes ago, Geezer Jim said:

We did a full transit thru the new locks, Pacific to Atlantic, on the Emerald Princess last October, we had a balcony on the port side aft.  For the same itinerary I would prefer a starboard forward balcony.  I was all over the ship during the transit, but my wife was cabin bound.  

Why starboard over port?

33 minutes ago, memoak said:

Our next canal trip is early January one of my favorite time of year and on the Coral

Mine too! I was trying to find something that left from California, in May. Our choices were hot (Panama) or cold (Alaska). I picked 🥵. I’ll be spending a lot of time in the pool.

1 minute ago, partybarbie said:

Mine too! I was trying to find something that left from California, in May. Our choices were hot (Panama) or cold (Alaska). I picked 🥵. I’ll be spending a lot of time in the pool.

Leaving from FLL?

Posted (edited)

@Cruzingal#9 for us we've been through the Panama Canal 3 times, once on the HAL Veendam (old locks), once on the Island Princess (old locks), and most recently on the Caribbean Princes (new locks). Each time we have been in an aft-facing cabin and loved it! If your budget can afford it, there is an ideal aft-facing Premium Balcony currently available on your cruise.

image.thumb.png.8fd0909aab785c373acf239511410f2e.png

image.thumb.png.2add16f5a4ac4c0324162890de29758a.png

If you look in my below expanded signature area, you will find a Live From thread from April/May 2022 where we cruised through the Panama Canal on the Caribbean Princess from SF to Ft Lauderdale. On page 18 starting at post 440, you should get a good feel for what you'll see from an aft-facing cabin when going through the Panama Canal, to include the locks.

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

There is not much difference in temp in Panama in January or June.  Look at your geography.  It is very close to the equator.  The on,y difference is the rainy season, and less rainy season.  EM

5 minutes ago, partybarbie said:

We’re on the Island, LA to FLL. 

I can’t find that one Jan 2025. I only see FLL to LA one day after we leave on the Coral

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, memoak said:

I can’t find that one Jan 2025. I only see FLL to LA one day after we leave on the Coral

Sorry, it’s May of 2024. I booked it on a  “drop and go” last week. Lol, when I said “mine too”, I meant January would be my favorite time to go also.

Edited by partybarbie

Just now, partybarbie said:

Sorry, it’s May of 2024. I booked it on a  “drop and go” last week. 

Enjoy we sail in 11 days Hawaii RT from Vancouver. For canal cruises we prefer to get the long plane flight out of the way early

• Like 1