Amtrak to Newark -- luggage

Hi - I want to take Amtrak from Philly to Newark to take a cruise out of Cape Liberty. I see that other people do this all the time, but how do you deal with luggage? I just got off of a chat with Amtrak and was told you cannot check luggage on this route, doesn't matter the train. I can bring the luggage on the train with us, but am traveling alone with my child. I can't wrestle a large suitcase off the train and her at the same time. Am I out of luck completely? Lots of people take this route to airports and I imagine have a lot of luggage, so it surprises me that checking is not an option. I thought Amtrak strived to be a more convenient alternative.

9 minutes ago, CruisingMomandKid said:

Hi - I want to take Amtrak from Philly to Newark to take a cruise out of Cape Liberty. I see that other people do this all the time, but how do you deal with luggage? I just got off of a chat with Amtrak and was told you cannot check luggage on this route, doesn't matter the train. I can bring the luggage on the train with us, but am traveling alone with my child. I can't wrestle a large suitcase off the train and her at the same time. Am I out of luck completely? Lots of people take this route to airports and I imagine have a lot of luggage, so it surprises me that checking is not an option. I thought Amtrak strived to be a more convenient alternative.

Both Philadelphia and Newark have Red Cap service to assist you in baggage handling. A tip for the Red Cap handling your bag is customary.

https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/baggage-policy/at-station-baggage-services.html

https://www.amtrak.com/amtrak-red-cap-baggage-assistance

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

Both Philadelphia and Newark have Red Cap service to assist you in baggage handling. A tip for the Red Cap handling your bag is customary.

https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/baggage-policy/at-station-baggage-services.html

https://www.amtrak.com/amtrak-red-cap-baggage-assistance

Yes, this is what I want but I thought Red Caps and checking bags are one in the same? How do I get a Red Cap to help me get the luggage off the train? I've used Amtrak multiple times but never with more than a carry on.

22 minutes ago, CruisingMomandKid said:

Yes, this is what I want but I thought Red Caps and checking bags are one and the same? How do I get a Red Cap to help me get the luggage off the train? I've used Amtrak multiple times but never with more than a carry on.

You let them know before boarding that you will need help getting on and off the train, they don’t actually check luggage but will put it somewhere.

21 minutes ago, CruisingMomandKid said:

Yes, this is what I want but I thought Red Caps and checking bags are one and the same? How do I get a Red Cap to help me get the luggage off the train? I've used Amtrak multiple times but never with more than a carry on.

Call Amtrak and ask for assistance getting on and off the train so it is on the manifest. Both the onboard crew and station services get manifests. Also inform the Conductor when they scan your ticket or otherwise see them onboard that you need assistance getting off at Newark and Red Cap assistance at Newark. 

6 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

You let them know before boarding that you will need help getting on and off the train, they don’t actually check luggage but will put it somewhere.

t

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

Call Amtrak and ask for assistance getting on and off the train so it is on the manifest. Both the onboard crew and station services get manifests. Also inform the Conductor when they scan your ticket or otherwise see them onboard that you need assistance getting off at Newark and Red Cap assistance at Newark. 

Thank you both, this is helpful. I've seen people use Red Caps departing at the train station, but have never seen one taking luggage off the train, which is what confused me. I thought they put them in a separate baggage car or something. The Amtrak website is not very clear. Appreciate your help!

3 minutes ago, CruisingMomandKid said:

t

Thank you both, this is helpful. I've seen people use Red Caps departing at the train station, but have never seen one taking luggage off the train, which is what confused me. I thought they put them in a separate baggage car or something. The Amtrak website is not very clear. Appreciate your help!

Trains off the Northeast Corridor or that go off the Northeast Corridor, long distance service, have baggage cars. On the Northeast Corridor like between Philadelphia and New York  they don’t use baggage cars. 

5 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Also inform the Conductor when they scan your ticket or otherwise see them onboard that you need assistance getting off at Newark and Red Cap assistance at Newark. 

Definitely do that. The conductor will call ahead to Newark to let the Red Caps know you will need assistance. 

6 hours ago, CruisingMomandKid said:

I've seen people use Red Caps departing at the train station, but have never seen one taking luggage off the train, which is what confused me. I thought they put them in a separate baggage car or something.

It's been alluded to a few times here but to be clear-- Northeast Corridor trains your luggage travels with you in the car you are occupying. There are storage areas on either side of the train car and sometimes the accessible area is used for luggage if not being used by a disabled passenger. There is plenty of room for your large suitcases and smaller ones can be stored above you. 

On long distance, overnight trains Amtrak will let you check luggage which will not be accessible to you during the trip. On the Northeast Corridor station stops are quick-- often a couple minutes with the exception of New York so checking luggage in a separate car would be impractical. 

Red Cap service will help you down to the platform before most passengers in Philly (check in with them in the main train hall by stairway 3) and make sure your luggage is aboard in your car. In Newark another Red Cap will come aboard and help you remove the bags. Remind the conductor when they scan your ticket after departing Philly that you would like Red Cap service in Newark. Also remember to tip the Red Cap at both stations. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

It's been alluded to a few times here but to be clear-- Northeast Corridor trains your luggage travels with you in the car you are occupying. There are storage areas on either side of the train car and sometimes the accessible area is used for luggage if not being used by a disabled passenger. There is plenty of room for your large suitcases and smaller ones can be stored above you. 

On long distance, overnight trains Amtrak will let you check luggage which will not be accessible to you during the trip. On the Northeast Corridor station stops are quick-- often a couple minutes with the exception of New York so checking luggage in a separate car would be impractical. 

Red Cap service will help you down to the platform before most passengers in Philly (check in with them in the main train hall by stairway 3) and make sure your luggage is aboard in your car. In Newark another Red Cap will come aboard and help you remove the bags. Remind the conductor when they scan your ticket after departing Philly that you would like Red Cap service in Newark. Also remember to tip the Red Cap at both stations. 

Perfect - thanks so much!

• 2 weeks later...

We recently took Amtrak from Westerly RI to Newark and enjoyed the ride very much. We put our luggage at the front of the car.  Try to keep an eye on it.  The porter helped us on in Westerly and was so helpful.  However, on the return we struggled getting our luggage off as it seemed the door kept shutting and the train seemed like it needed to leave quickly.  No porter around. Westerly is a lot smaller stop for Amtrak then Philly.

I definitely would take everyone's advice about contacting Amtrak about needing assistance.

I hope someone would be willing to help you as a courtesy.  

As I said, we did enjoy the ride and maybe in May when heading to Bermuda from Cape Liberty our departure from the train will be easier(trying to bring a smaller suitcase).

On 4/13/2024 at 10:51 AM, dazey said:

No porter around. Westerly is a lot smaller stop for Amtrak then Philly.

You need to request Red Cap service at major stations like Philly either with the Red Cap desk when you arrive at the station or with the conductor onboard if you need it on arrival. Unless it's requested they don't have surplus Red Caps on the platform. 

On 4/13/2024 at 10:51 AM, dazey said:

As I said, we did enjoy the ride and maybe in May when heading to Bermuda from Cape Liberty our departure from the train will be easier(trying to bring a smaller suitcase).

Red Caps are also available at Newark Penn Station for Cape Liberty. When you board your train in Westerly, ask the conductor when they take your ticket for Red Cap service on arrival at Newark. 

• Like 1