How do you dress for a transatlantic cruise?

Have cruised a LOT but never done a Transatlantic. I know the weather will be iffy and leans more toward cold and windy than calm seas with the sun shining. Any special clothing to take? How do you dress for a TA cruise?

35 minutes ago, jdvmd said:

Any special clothing to take? How do you dress for a TA cruise?

If you think you will want to spend time on the deck/promenade/balcony, I would suggest a jacket (or coat) that would be somewhat warm as well as wind and water resistant. I just ordered a LLBean H2OFF jacket that is warm-lined with quilted upper body and plaid wool lower body. If I hadn't found it, my non-thermal H2Off is roomy enough to wear over a sweater. 

What Crystal said about the jacket/coat.  I prefer a longish coat of thinner fabric over many layers.  Be sure yours will fit over a sweater or two.  I usually bring gloves and earmuffs, my ears don't like a cold wind.  Otherwise, your basic layers, just like always.  

• Like 1

A lot depends on whether you are going West to East or East to west? 

Layers is the name of the game there's no such thing as bad weather only bad clothing choices so go prepared for all eventualities. Regardless of where we're going we always pack a light wind/rain mac being Brits we're used to 4 seasons in one day lol 😆 

• Haha 1

I have sailed across the transatlantic several times on different lines. A lot of your packing will be determined by the month in which you are traveling and whether your route is North Atlantic or further south. If you are traveling from NYC to Southampton on the QM2 in mid-December your requirements will be very different than if you are traveling from Miami to Lisbon in July.  Are you stopping in the Azores or Bermuda? If you would provide more info it would be helpful. 

Layers. 

I've taken many transatlantic cruises with weather ranging from hot (Florida) to snow in the Bay of Biscay. Easier to pack fewer things of each category (shorts, jeans, sweaters) and rewear things if necessary. Definitely take a rain coat that is windproof and a scarf. 

Overall layers are the plan but if you are asking about dress code it is usually fairly relaxed garb in the daytime. People do tend to dress nicely (but not formally) for dinner as they have time to primp a bit.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For the colder trips, I like hoodies that fit under my water-resistant windbreaker (also with hood).  I think they are also useful even for the warmer trips since it can be chilly in the mornings.

I also like walking shoes that are good for a damp or wet deck.

I always try to have at least 1 layer for any weather condition. So I take 1 pair of water repellent pants and coat. A sweater or 2 if I have the space. And it's always a good idea to pack a pair of shorts that you can pair with tshirts or linen shirts if its warm and sunny.

4 hours ago, jsn55 said:

I've lived in California too long!  I don't recall ever seeing a pair of waterproof pants.  Where would I go to find some online?

Sierra Trading Post, REI, Costco, Sams