Questions re Quebec City cruise port

NRWPA

I've booked a cruise on Emerald Princess for October and have booked my own one-way flight. I am trying to figure out a few things: What's the best way to get to the port from the airport (I called Princess and they tell me the shuttle is only available from 10am to 2pm - my flight arrives at 3:30pm)? About how much should I expect to pay? I travel solo. Which terminal does Princess normally dock at? Thanks for any help. I've never been to Quebec City and won't know my way around so detailed help is even better :)  

We did this 2 years ago. We took a taxi from the airport to Fairmont. The Princess cruise at that time docked in front of the Fairmont! I’d check to make sure they still dock there.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Mother Mary said:

We did this 2 years ago. We took a taxi from the airport to Fairmont. The Princess cruise at that time docked in front of the Fairmont! I’d check to make sure they still dock there.

Thanks for the info - at least I know taxis will go there though I may use Uber.  I've been searching online for answers and really am not finding any information. Even the port's website does not tell the terminal - instead it says N/A for Emerald Princess.

Edited by NRWPA

There is no "terminal".  Ship dock at the pier just outside the old city walls.  Uber is the easiest and reasonable.  There is enough space for 3 ships to dock.  Usually only 1 or two.  All very close.  The city and Fairmont are "up the hill".

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

In 2023 ( summer and fall), the Caribbean docked at the new pier (not the one at the base of Old Quebec City).  I think it is called Wharf 30.

Quebec airport is very, very small.  I took a Princess transfer from the ship to the airport.  I was surprised how far away it was/seemed to be far.  But there are taxis and would guess other ride shares.  They do speak French….so be sure to have something printed out…Princess Cruise ship or Terminal address.  

Keep checking ship schedules for port information.

Princess did provide a bus shuttle from the port to a bridge.  Short walk to Old Quebec if you visit the city that night or next day.  Is it an overnight stay?

https://www.portquebec.ca/en/cruises/vessel-schedules/seasonal-schedule

Edited by cr8tiv1

Indeed, unless there is a 2nd ship boarding that day, you will most likely be at the "new" terminal located at Pier 30.

From YQB there is flat rate to downtown:

From the YQB terminal to downtown Québec City or From downtown Québec City to YQB (Trip A)

DAY PRICE: $41.40

NIGHT PRICE (between 11:00 p.m. and 5:00 a.m.): $47.60 

During the day and night, a fee of $0.90 + GST and QST is added to the base fare for each trip, including special fares set by the Commission des transports du Québec. It is also added to fares established by a contract agreed upon between two parties and to fares requested by a mobile application. This amount is used to fund a program to compensate and assist individuals or groups who were licensed as cab owners.

I'm trying to find out if Emerald Princess now uses Wharf 30?  If so, is there a taxi stand by the ship?  We will need a ride from ship to and from Frontenac area (We have mobility issues) On the Thurs that ship docks, we have 1 tour that leaves by Frontenac.  On the Fri on disembarkation we will need a ride to our hotel (near Frontenac) from the ship. Thanks for any assistance.  Anita

18 hours ago, Jetswdo said:

If so, is there a taxi stand by the ship?

Yes. There are usually a small amount of taxis near the ship. Sometimes it can be overwhelmed, especially on a departure day when folks are going to the airport and not going on organized tours or walking into town. 

Keep in mind that Uber works quite well in Quebec City so that is an option too if there aren't taxis there. I use Uber quite a bit when I am there a few times a year for work because it isn't universal which taxis take credit cards and I don't like having a ton of cash. 

Coming back to the ship the Chateau Frontenac always has a taxi rank or can call one if there isn't one there. 

Thanks for the info-- Is Uber reliable in Quebec between the port and Frontenac area?  Can you pre arrange with them, so that we are not competing with others who need to use a taxi? We are ok walking in the area near Frontenac. We just can't handle the walk from ship, which I think now is at wharf 30-- to and from that area. We had trouble with Uber a couple of times in Las Vegas and Seattle. Other times worked out great.

3 hours ago, Jetswdo said:

Thanks for the info-- Is Uber reliable in Quebec between the port and Frontenac area? 

Uber is very reliable all through Quebec City-- I'm there for work a few times a year and use it to go between the Chateau Frontenac and the airport frequently. Usually a 5-6 minute wait-- maybe a tiny bit more than in most major cities. 

Can you pre arrange with them, so that we are not competing with others who need to use a taxi?

You can prebook but it isn't necessary. Have never had an issue getting a car fairly promptly. Also when I did look to prebook usually the pricing was higher than if I just used the app when I needed it. Not a lot more, but noticeable. 

We had trouble with Uber a couple of times in Las Vegas

Using Uber on the Las Vegas strip is a bit of a nightmare anytime-- I have not had an issue using Uber in Seattle. This is a lot easier than that and you are really not covering that much distance-- basically this is to get you up a pretty substantial hill-- not to cover a large area like a major city like Vegas or Seattle. 

Thanks again for your response.  We were in Seattle maybe 6 years ago or so ( a few years before pandemic)  and a couple of times Uber driver would cancel on us last minute ( I suspect for a better offer) it was really annoying--- we tipped generously when a driver finally did actually show up!   I'd rather pay a little extra to pre- arrange a pick up from the ship- coming back to port I wouldn't bother.