A Different Way of Looking at Plus/Premier

Drew B 58

20 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

You can make it zero a day if you drink fresh squeezed juice(1), specialty coffee(2), bottled water(2) & canned soda(1).  

OR just buy the Zero Alcohol Drink package for under half the cost and still get all that.  😁

14 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

OR just buy the Zero Alcohol Drink package for under half the cost and still get all that.  😁

And you're forgetting about the included wifi and gratuities.  But if you don't need to be online and you don't need to tip the hard working servers on board, then get that package.

I'm just trying to point out that you don't need to drink alcohol in order to make the plus package work.  It's that simple.

59 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Once again, the sea day theory doesn't hold water.  You're back on board on a sea day by 5:00.  If you go to bed at 11:00, that gives you 6 hours to hit your number.  Easily doable even without consuming alcohol.  You could have taken two bottles of water ashore or had a specialty coffee or a fresh squeezed OJ before you left the ship that goes towards your total.

Good point as long as it is something desired as opposed to something needed to hit a number.  I suspect not too many would fall into the latter category.  Particularly with the original intent of this thread which was more about convenience and treating oneself over straight accounting justification. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Good point as long as it is something desired as opposed to something needed to hit a number.  I suspect not too many would fall into the latter category.  Particularly with the original intent of this thread which was more about convenience and treating oneself over straight accounting justification. 

I think you hit the nail on the head. If you will feel pressured to meet the numbers needed to make the plan worth it financially, which I do and which is the reason I don’t get it based on my own situation (everyone’s assumptions indicate that both cruisers will be drinking or like soda/coffee), then don’t get it. If you think you can meet the numbers without problem, or feel liberated from having to think about it by buying the package, then get it. 

As for the port days argument not “holding water,” Alaska ships are in port longer, sometimes as late as 9:30pm. If people want to maximize port time, there really isn’t 6 hours to drink on the ship after you get back. That’s why I made a distinction in my previous post. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, etphonehome24 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head. If you will feel pressured to meet the numbers needed to make the plan worth it financially, which I do and which is the reason I don’t get it based on my own situation (everyone’s assumptions indicate that both cruisers will be drinking or like soda/coffee), then don’t get it. If you think you can meet the numbers without problem, or feel liberated from having to think about it by buying the package, then get it. 

As for the port days argument not “holding water,” Alaska ships are in port longer, sometimes as late as 9:30pm. If people want to maximize port time, there really isn’t 6 hours to drink on the ship after you get back. That’s why I made a distinction in my previous post. 

You know, it might also depend on when a "package day" starts.  If it starts at one minute after midnight, then one could get a jump on the drink count!  Have a few before turning in, then a few more after the excursion.  Sadly, one loses out while sleeping (just kidding).  🙂

4 minutes ago, ldubs said:

You know, it might also depend on when a "package day" starts.  If it starts at one minute after midnight, then one could get a jump on the drink count!  Have a few before turning in, then a few more after the excursion.  Sadly, one loses out while sleeping (just kidding).  🙂

It is 6 am to 6 am. That is very clear in the description on the website.

• Like 1

I'm sure we'll take 2 or 3 bottled waters each with us on every excursion since we're doing a cruise around New Zealand and won't be able to bring our reusable water bottles into New Zealand. That makes the plus package much more cost effective for us.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

If you ever bought a drink package then you would know when they start.  It's usually at 600 or 700 am when the first bar opens, which is usually the coffee bar if cruisers wish to add Bailey's or something else to their coffee.

8 minutes ago, PR-Texas said:

I'm sure we'll take 2 or 3 bottled waters each with us on every excursion since we're doing a cruise around New Zealand and won't be able to bring our reusable water bottles into New Zealand. That makes the plus package much more cost effective for us.

Am I understanding that in NZ, you can bring a disposable plastic bottle full of water but not a reusable plastic bottle full of water?  

9 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

If you ever bought a drink package then you would know when they start.  It's usually at 600 or 700 am when the first bar opens, which is usually the coffee bar if cruisers wish to add Bailey's or something else to their coffee.

Nope, never bought a drink package.  Get freebies on some other lines.  Honestly they are more than I want, so give many away if I'm traveling with someone I know.  

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Am I understanding that in NZ, you can bring a disposable plastic bottle full of water but not a reusable plastic bottle full of water?  

Quoting from this website:https://www.mpi.govt.nz/import/border-clearance/ships-and-boats-border-clearance/cruise-ships-and-passengers/

• "Only commercially bottled drinking water, chocolates,       confectionery, and biscuits are permitted to leave the vessel.
  • Passengers and crew going ashore are requested to present their hand luggage, including backpacks for inspection if requested."  

Based on that info we will be taking some commercially packed snacks also.  I read on a post somewhere on Cruise Critic that hand carry bags were being inspected and stuff confiscated.  Maybe someone else can point to the specific post.

Edited by PR-Texas
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, PR-Texas said:

Well that is certainly "convenient" for the cruiseline. (Not dissing NZ, and their effort to protect their country)  You cannot bring on a case of bottled water on embarkation day b/c they are saying no to the plastic bottles.  So then if you want to bring off water you must get a bottled water ($2.50 -$3?) from the ship.  And for cruises leaving from Australia and going to NZ, you cannot pre-order a case of water for your cabin to save some of the cost.  

To stay on topic, I have several future cruises booked, and none of them are with the drink package, or Princess Plus.   My most recent cruise last month did have the package but I didn't feel I was getting I was getting any benefit from the drink portion.  I was ordering breakfast via the little card left on the door overnight, which included a pot of coffee.  I was drinking water poured at each meal in the dining room, and rarely had a single glass of cheap wine with dinner.   As an elite, the mini bar can be traded out for soda, or water, so in the end, the package just doesn't work for me. YMMV

• Like 1

I would say the biggest driving factor for me is wifi, I like to be disconnected and if I am paying for Wifi then I will be online and on my phone more etc... Its nice to be forced to disconnect when on the boat especially since its so easy to get online in just about any port. If I want to be online sure, but paying $25/day is insanity to me even to consider it in package cost. Unless my job wanted me to be online and was paying for it fine but then it wouldnt be a vacation lol. After that I may have a beer or 2 a day. I could easily take advantage of drinking but its the accessibility of wifi thats the issue lol. if im paying for it ill want to use it.

13 hours ago, 555 said:

They'd like you think you don't but it's priced to Princess's advantage that unless you do, they're making a killing on the package.

Most of the cost is based on the alcohol and they know that the average cruiser won't come close to the max. 

I am sure Princess is making money on everything including the packages. However, your math is not mathing. For some of us, the package costs us less money than buying everything a la carte even if we only have 1-2 drinks a day. How much money Princess is making off us is irrelevant to this equation. What matters is how much we are paying. I'm not going to pay more by going a la carte when I don't have to.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, 555 said:

They'd like you think you don't but it's priced to Princess's advantage that unless you do, they're making a killing on the package.

Most of the cost is based on the alcohol and they know that the average cruiser won't come close to the max. 

Okay.  You say that “most of the cost is based on the alcohol”, so let’s focus solely on the alcohol and forget about all of the other included benefits (gratuities, WiFi, specialty coffee/soda/juice/bottled water, casual dining, medallion shipping, premium desserts, fitness classes, Ocean Now activation, room service) that Plus includes for a moment.  At $60 a day, it only takes four $15 drinks or five $12 drinks a day to come out ahead, since you’d be paying a gratuity on those.  You don’t have to come anywhere close to “the max” to break even.  If you are someone who wants to drink fifteen a day, that’s just gravy, but you don’t need to in order to get your money’s worth.

And if you are someone who would like to tip the staff, use WiFi on board, enjoy a few non-alcoholic (but not included) beverages, check out a casual restaurant or two, and take advantage of Ocean Now, then you will easily break even with just one or two alcoholic drinks a day.  

The goal is to get good value.  It is not necessarily to get the most possible value by drinking as much as they’ll give you!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ldubs said:

Nope, never bought a drink package.  Get freebies on some other lines.  Honestly they are more than I want, so give many away if I'm traveling with someone I know.  

The only main stream line I'm aware of that gives away drinks is the 4-6 drinks per day on RCI for Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

And you don't have to purchase that package for both people in the same cabin. 

16 hours ago, scooter6139 said:

2 hours ago, 555 said:

And you don't have to purchase that package for both people in the same cabin. 

Total cost if you want Internet access is $66.38 per person per day:

• Zero-Alcohol Drink Package: $35.39 per person per day
  • Crew Appreciation (Mini-Suites and Below): $16.00 per person per day
  • MedallionNet 1-device WiFi: $14.99

That is more expensive than the Plus fare package.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ldubs said:

I understand the convenience issue and I think there are several good points made in favor of the packages.  I think you are wrong to jump to the conclusion those without a package have mental anguish over purchases. We don't do the packages.  We buy what we want when we want without a need for ledger entries.  We don't consider ourselves bare bones but I suspect our on-board spending might be less than many. It is not something I would ever ask someone about.  I certainly have no issues with anyone having the package and don't need them to justify it to me.   

Fair, I suppose I'm intending to address specifically those that come in to discussions like these seemingly hell bent on convincing others what's right for them entirely based on their own style.  You certainly don't qualify....but there's never a shortage of them in threads like this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2024 at 8:24 AM, 555 said:

It doesn't matter if you do drink the limit, they have it priced so they make money regardless.  They value the alcoholic drinks at less than $2 each by their own pricing, and soft drinks and coffee cost them pennies to provide.

What people forget about is that they are also selling wifi to everyone even if they don't use it, and eliminating tips from being removed, which probably happens less, but still eliminates that.

20 hours ago, ldubs said:

I think you are wrong to jump to the conclusion those without a package have mental anguish over purchases. We don't do the packages.

We don't either.  I do pay for the tips and wifi, but we don't drink and avoid all sugary drinks in general, so nothing for us.  I bring what drink I want onboard with me, and then drink whatever is included and available.  Works great for us and I save a lot of money from how I view it.  

Everyone has to decide for themselves about value, but I am glad a lot are taking the packages because that might be helping to keep cruise fares lower.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For my 7 day cruise i'm in port 8-10 2 days and 2-10 1 day so paying internet doesn't seem compelling. I have a cabin and we don't have the internet or tv so i know i can unplug. I'm also from canada so don't believe the medallion can be mailed. I'm the type that drinks water at dinner in restaurants. I found the port i'm leaving from i should be able to get some pop cans. I assume there is a fridge? Plus may be a good deal but its not for everyone.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, latebuyer said:

For my 7 day cruise i'm in port 8-10 2 days and 2-10 1 day so paying internet doesn't seem compelling. I have a cabin and we don't have the internet or tv so i know i can unplug. I'm also from canada so don't believe the medallion can be mailed. I'm the type that drinks water at dinner in restaurants. I found the port i'm leaving from i should be able to get some pop cans. I assume there is a fridge? Plus may be a good deal but its not for everyone.

Correct.  If you don’t want the WiFi and won’t drink much that is not included, then it would be nigh impossible to justify a package.