A Different Way of Looking at Plus/Premier

Drew B 58

16 hours ago, Lady Arwen said:

If I had to make spreadsheets just to see if I could afford a little extra for a package, I’m sure I’d just stay home.  I look at it this way:  Can I afford the extra $xxxx it costs for Plus or Premier?  In the big picture does a few hundred dollars make the slightest difference in my future lifestyle?  Will we enjoy having it?  Do we care if one or two days we’re under break even?   

The answer for us is clear.  Enjoy your life, it’s too short to worry about this  for more than two minutes.  I understand I’m probably in the minority, so my thoughts certainly don’t apply to everyone.  

Great fiscal sense right there.  If paying for a package seems like 'a little extra' to you - you can probably afford it - go on your cruise.  If it's more than a little extra to you, like for most people, put some thought into how you are spending your money - should you be spending a large chunk of money on a cruise and more than a little extra for a package.

After that, a very different question is whether a package is good value for you - a very real part of the value is in not having to think about things on board once you get there.  Although I've said above that I'm likely to only spend a small amount on a bottle of wine day to day, not having to think about it once I'm onboard means a lot to me.  Sadly I'm not in the minority where I don't have to do a little math before I take that route - but luckily I enjoy spreadsheets and it adds extra time that I'm thinking and planning for being on board.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I fully agree with the logic that the OP uses, with one small addition or caveat.

The lingering question is "How much am I willing to pay to feel spoiled?"  Again, that comes down to personal habits and preferences. Some are willing to pay a large amount for suite accommodations with limited access areas, etc.  On the other hand, on OV cabin is fine and we will "splurge" on a balcony depending on the itinerary and cost.

For us, the Plus package is marginal at best from a cost standpoint.  Obviously, tips are required and we usually get an internet package to communicate with home.  That covers a little over half the cost of Plus.  After that, we can "splurge" on an extra drink, fancy coffee, or fancy dessert. 

Edited by davy jones
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Great fiscal sense right there.  If paying for a package seems like 'a little extra' to you - you can probably afford it - go on your cruise.  If it's more than a little extra to you, like for most people, put some thought into how you are spending your money - should you be spending a large chunk of money on a cruise and more than a little extra for a package.

After that, a very different question is whether a package is good value for you - a very real part of the value is in not having to think about things on board once you get there.  Although I've said above that I'm likely to only spend a small amount on a bottle of wine day to day, not having to think about it once I'm onboard means a lot to me.  Sadly I'm not in the minority where I don't have to do a little math before I take that route - but luckily I enjoy spreadsheets and it adds extra time that I'm thinking and planning for being on board.

I specifically said that my situation does not apply to everyone.  Clearly, you personally need to justify the cost of the packages.  I completely agree that a lot of people need to take a hard look at the added cost.  If you enjoy preparing spreadsheets, more power to you.  I have no issue whatsoever with how you budget for your cruise.  I do, however, take issue with your first sentence.  No need for sarcasm.  

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I specifically said that my situation does not apply to everyone.  Clearly, you personally need to justify the cost of the packages.  I completely agree that a lot of people need to take a hard look at the added cost.  If you enjoy preparing spreadsheets, more power to you.  I have no issue whatsoever with how you budget for your cruise.  I do, however, take issue with your first sentence.  No need for sarcasm.  

Really, "Great fiscal sense right there"?  I was agreeing with you, and my second sentence expanded upon why I agreed with you.  I feel privileged to be able to send myself on a cruise and that's definitely not something we should take for granted and there needs to be flags for people as to when they might be over-extending themselves.  It's nice to treat ourselves, but that has to mean different things for different people.  I could take issue with your use of the word 'clearly', but yes the packages are an extra - I would definitely enjoy a cruise without them - and they need to be justified, for me at least.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, p.pete said:

Really, "Great fiscal sense right there"?  I was agreeing with you, and my second sentence expanded upon why I agreed with you.  I feel privileged to be able to send myself on a cruise and that's definitely not something we should take for granted and there needs to be flags for people as to when they might be over-extending themselves.  It's nice to treat ourselves, but that has to mean different things for different people.  I could take issue with your use of the word 'clearly', but yes the packages are an extra - I would definitely enjoy a cruise without them - and they need to be justified, for me at least.

Please accept my apology for completely misunderstanding your comment.  I have no excuse except that sometimes what I read my brain translates the opposite.  No offence intended.  

• Like 6

2 hours ago, davy jones said:

The lingering question is "How much am I willing to pay to feel spoiled?"  Again, that comes down to personal habits and preferences.

Exactly. Each of us decides what "extras" we are willing to spend money on to feel spoiled. We don't do The Sanctuary, Spa, onboard shopping etc. So it is fairly easy to splurge a bit on the package and still convince ourselves that we are still being reasonable with our money. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, davy jones said:

I fully agree with the logic that the OP uses, with one small addition or caveat.

The lingering question is "How much am I willing to pay to feel spoiled?"  Again, that comes down to personal habits and preferences. Some are willing to pay a large amount for suite accommodations with limited access areas, etc.  On the other hand, on OV cabin is fine and we will "splurge" on a balcony depending on the itinerary and cost.

For us, the Plus package is marginal at best from a cost standpoint.  Obviously, tips are required and we usually get an internet package to communicate with home.  That covers a little over half the cost of Plus.  After that, we can "splurge" on an extra drink, fancy coffee, or fancy dessert. 

That’s my point.  Once you factor in the tips and the WiFi, the remaining amount isn’t a lot.  Without the package, I probably would NOT “splurge” on an extra drink, fancy coffee or fancy dessert (not to mention the casual/specialty dining).  Or if I did, it would involve torturous deliberation to justify it.  That’s just my personality.  

With the package, I am free to “splurge” as little or as much as I like, within the parameters of the package I choose.  Having one, I will probably “splurge” enough to cover the difference.  However, even if I don’t, I imagine I won’t regret the decision to buy the package.  That freedom from having to deliberate over what I choose to get has enough value in and of itself to make it worthwhile for a reasonably small cost difference.  

This is based on a 7-day or shorter cruise.  For a significantly longer cruise, the calculus would change, as it would no longer be a reasonably small cost difference…

• Like 3

5 hours ago, davy jones said:

I was going to post something similar -- that if you're going strictly off spreadsheet math, no one would ever book a balcony, mini-suite, or suite!  Cruising in general is a luxury with various options for every budget.  I don't know why so many people get their knickers in a twist over the packages and not room categories.  We don't have endless threads debating the cost/benefit analysis of inside rooms vs suites.  Everyone needs to do the math on the entire cruise and see what works for them 🙂 

For us that means balcony or better room every cruise and Plus package.  Those options fit our cruising style.  

• Like 6

On 4/11/2024 at 12:49 PM, Drew B 58 said:

When people are looking into getting the Plus or Premier package, the advice I invariably hear is to “do the math”.  If what you would otherwise spend on what is covered by the package comes out to more than $60 per day, then they say Plus is worth it.  If it comes out to more than $80 per day, then perhaps Premier would be worth it (although Plus may still be the better choice).  There is nothing wrong with this approach to the question, but I’d like to suggest another way to look at it:

if I were sailing on the Standard package, there is NO WAY I would spend more than $60/$80 on these things.  I’m too in the habit of denying myself indulgences, and I am basically cheap at heart.  Each purchase would be a struggle.  I WOULD pay the gratuities.  IMO, those are not discretionary.  I would split one internet package with my cabin mates, even if that meant I could only use WiFi at restricted times.  I would probably splurge on 12-15 alcoholic beverages over the course of a week-long cruise (which is not to say that I wouldn’t WANT more).  I would probably not buy a single specialty coffee/soda/juice/mocktail.  I like these things, but couldn’t justify the money. I wouldn’t spend to eat at casual or specialty restaurants (in my fifteen previous cruises, I’ve never paid for upcharge food), even though I would love to try some of them.  I probably WOULD pay to activate Ocean Now because I would really feel like I was missing out if I never tried that.  I would definitely not pay for premium desserts or fitness classes.

So if you take a look at all of that, it makes for a pretty basic no-frills cruise experience.  I would be fine with it.  I have been fine with it or something very much like it on every previous cruise I’ve taken.  However, by making one simple choice - to buy one of the packages - the cruise immediately switches from basic and utilitarian to bountiful and indulgent.  I will be able to eat what I want (to an extent), drink what I want, surf the net when I want, etc.  Yes, it is hard for me to make the decision to spend that kind of money.  However, once I do, I am suddenly not only free to but actually incentivized to treat myself to an experience I never would otherwise have had!  That feeling of being spoiled has a value that is not necessarily simple  to plug in to a simple math formula…

Is this a good decision?  I don’t know yet.  I’m getting ready to take my first Princess cruise under the Premier plan.  I will let you know after if I made the right choice!

WOW! You went from being frugal and checking to see if PrincessPlus would be worth it for YOU to PrincessPremier! Obviously, you did your homework and found that the VALUE was there! Good for You! You're paying for things you're gonna do anyway PLUS MORE!!!  Make those 2 Specialty Dining Reservations ASAP!

• Like 2

On 4/11/2024 at 6:07 PM, catgirl411 said:

Completely agree with this philosophy. In the old days, before packages, I used to dread the bill slipped under the door on the last day with all of the charges. It was depressing to be reminded of another $1500 or so of charges at the end of a lovely vacation. 

Yes! I would call it the SPA, BAR, BINGO Bill.

• Haha 2

$$$ Cognac $$$ Does anybody know the price they charge for a shot or two of Cognac, that's all that I drink so I was wondering if I need to get the Premier or the Plus Package to make it worth it for me on a 16day cruise

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, shipndip60 said:

$$$ Cognac $$$ Does anybody know the price they charge for a shot or two of Cognac, that's all that I drink so I was wondering if I need to get the Premier or the Plus Package to make it worth it for me on a 16day cruise

This link shows Cognacs between $10 and $16.

https://profcruise.com/princess-bar-menus-and-drink-prices-2024/

Edited by JamieLogical

11 minutes ago, shipndip60 said:

The link above also shows Hennessy Black at $20. Remy Martin XO is also $20 (shown on the OceanNow menu under the above link).

When we sailed with Plus, we drank Courvoisier VSOP (which is what we normally drink at home). When we sailed with Premier, we drank Remy Martin XO.

If you're planning on drinking a $16 drink, you're probably better off getting Plus and paying the difference. However, if you drink Hennessy Black or Remy Martin XO, then you may be better off with Premier.

26 minutes ago, NavyVeteran said:

The link above also shows Hennessy Black at $20. Remy Martin XO is also $20 (shown on the OceanNow menu under the above link).

When we sailed with Plus, we drank Courvoisier VSOP (which is what we normally drink at home). When we sailed with Premier, we drank Remy Martin XO.

If you're planning on drinking a $16 drink, you're probably better off getting Plus and paying the difference. However, if you drink Hennessy Black or Remy Martin XO, then you may be better off with Premier.

This past november on the Discovery we had the premier package which was a good thing because my husband only drinks  Remy XO. It was $20 a drink! He was covered!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RenieRaider said:

WOW! You went from being frugal and checking to see if PrincessPlus would be worth it for YOU to PrincessPremier! Obviously, you did your homework and found that the VALUE was there! Good for You! You're paying for things you're gonna do anyway PLUS MORE!!!  Make those 2 Specialty Dining Reservations ASAP!

Reservations are made!

• Like 2

We are Australians on a 14-day Mediterranean Princess cruise in August.

Our Plus Package is

USD $65 plus 18% service charge = $76.70 per day and Crew appreciation (Gratuities) is not included $16 per day = $92.70 USD

14 days 2pax USD $2,596  = AUD $4,045

Message from Princess

Since the Currency on board is USD for your booking, the crew Appreciation is automatically added to the guest shipboard account folio. Packages (Plus/Premier) do not include crew appreciation for AU/NZ guests. If guests wish to have this amount adjusted or removed and offer a tip at their discretion, they are welcome to do this at the Purser's desk once onboard.

I’m still undecided as to whether we’ll buy the package, we have 5 sea days (including embarkation) 9 Port days (5 are sail away 7pm to 10pm)

We each have a European sim/data card for WhatsApp etc, to use in port. $35 each

We enjoy weekly beautiful dinners at home in our local restaurants so no need for (2) casual dining, I’ll buy delicious Gelato in ports, Tea is my hot beverage, long black for DH so we won’t use the coffee specialities and can use the gym without classes.

Our Royal Princess cruise in November to New Zealand was a huge disappointment with the white wine selection so I after a few cocktails I found my special “Beverly Hills Island Tea”, DH enjoys a red wine, beer and occasionally a Rum to end the night.

Safe travels!

• Like 1

"only a little bit more"  that's relative.

Looking at our upcoming cruise the deal was good(very) so we have an obstructed balcony in a good location.

Considering the options for this one

Base fare for an inside in a decent location aft.

The balcony upgrade was 12% premium over the base fare

(over a midship inside it was just 3%)

to add plus was 75% premium

to add premier was a 97% premium

If we add the full cost of the CA to our base then doing the balcony and adding Premier was 80% premium(still very reasonable), that's nearly another cruise. 

If we were mid ship mini people the uplift to add premier over mini with CA)  would have been 45%

for the penthouse it was 18%

I suspect most experienced cruisers have a fairly good idea of their normal cruise habits to work out the value of any package over the PAYG totals without an in depth spread sheet.

As said some items may change value depending on cruise eg. Internet on a Europe cruise has little value to us as we can get enough roaming data for £2 and it will work for enough hours to do us(sometimes on sea days), a transatlantic with loads of sea days it's worth something.  

We do some trips boozy and some with heavy use of the paid food options(some both) which swings it towards the package, with premier the main benefit is 2 meals that has diminishing return on length of trip and we don't always fancy them anyway on short trips.

For now I work on

Full price plus and premier do not work for us.

Half price Plus is a no brainer and premier is a maybe. 

If the offer is somewhere in the middle(like premier for plus) I would have to think about it.

• Like 1

My Wife and I don't have many 'overseas' holidays... But when we do go away we want to enjoy ourselves, have fun and relax...etc.... the last thing we want to do is try to add up how much each drink is and make sure we don't spend too much. So the plus package was a no brainer for us - not just for the drinks, but for the Wifi too - would be good to be able to keep in touch with family by e-mail / Facebook.  

• Like 1

IDK, I understand and agree with the justification the OP is sharing. What I don't fully understand is why, if I don't have a package, I must keep a tally of expenditures to avoid overspending.  I purchase what I want.   No tally necessary.  To be sure, we would check the folio from time to time for errors.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, ldubs said:

IDK, I understand and agree with the justification the OP is sharing. What I don't fully understand is why, if I don't have a package, I must keep a tally of expenditures to avoid overspending.  I purchase what I want.   No tally necessary.  To be sure, we would check the folio from time to time for errors.

Certainly, nobody is required to keep a tally, even if they're a la carte.:)

If you know that you aren't likely to spend as much as the package costs, or you feel your financial circumstances allow you to indulge past the package price but the cost difference is immaterial to you, then there's no need to calculate and compare. 

For others, it's helpful to do those calculations to see if a la carte or a package gives better value, or better meets their needs.

I think whatever floats your boat (or, ship) and helps you have the best time is the way to go!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dani24 said:

Certainly, nobody is required to keep a tally, even if they're a la carte.:)

If you know that you aren't likely to spend as much as the package costs, or you feel your financial circumstances allow you to indulge past the package price but the cost difference is immaterial to you, then there's no need to calculate and compare. 

For others, it's helpful to do those calculations to see if a la carte or a package gives better value, or better meets their needs.

I think whatever floats your boat (or, ship) and helps you have the best time is the way to go!

I've done the comparison calculations for the packages for sure.  I'm pretty sure if I was any kind of drinker I would opt for the package.    I was referring to once on board.  Probably misunderstood. 

On 4/16/2024 at 3:08 AM, bumble_b62 said:

We are Australians on a 14-day Mediterranean Princess cruise in August.

Our Plus Package is

USD $65 plus 18% service charge = $76.70 per day and Crew appreciation (Gratuities) is not included $16 per day = $92.70 USD

14 days 2pax USD $2,596  = AUD $4,045

Message from Princess

Since the Currency on board is USD for your booking, the crew Appreciation is automatically added to the guest shipboard account folio. Packages (Plus/Premier) do not include crew appreciation for AU/NZ guests. If guests wish to have this amount adjusted or removed and offer a tip at their discretion, they are welcome to do this at the Purser's desk once onboard.

I’m still undecided as to whether we’ll buy the package, we have 5 sea days (including embarkation) 9 Port days (5 are sail away 7pm to 10pm)

We each have a European sim/data card for WhatsApp etc, to use in port. $35 each

We enjoy weekly beautiful dinners at home in our local restaurants so no need for (2) casual dining, I’ll buy delicious Gelato in ports, Tea is my hot beverage, long black for DH so we won’t use the coffee specialities and can use the gym without classes.

Our Royal Princess cruise in November to New Zealand was a huge disappointment with the white wine selection so I after a few cocktails I found my special “Beverly Hills Island Tea”, DH enjoys a red wine, beer and occasionally a Rum to end the night.

Safe travels!

You could just buy it once onboard for $60/day, and then it will include your gratuities.

The plus package didn't work for me.  Even with paying for premier wines by the glass less the $15 base price, I was never happy with the wines offered.  I ended up buying wines by the bottle for I think a 20% discount.  It just didn't work for us.  However, I do support other people getting the plus/premier package.  There's a lot more drinking on the ships since the package came out.  The ships are a lot livelier especially towards the end of the evening.  Before the plus packages were offered, the ships were becoming quite quiet after 9pm.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, blizzard44ca said:

You could just buy it once onboard for $60/day, and then it will include your gratuities.

Oh, I never thought about that, thanks for the suggestion!