A Different Way of Looking at Plus/Premier

Drew B 58

2 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

Total cost if you want Internet access is $66.38 per person per day:

• Zero-Alcohol Drink Package: $35.39 per person per day
  • Crew Appreciation (Mini-Suites and Below): $16.00 per person per day
  • MedallionNet 1-device WiFi: $14.99

That is more expensive than the Plus fare package.

Logic defeats spin doctoring from teetotalers. 👏👏👏

2 hours ago, NavyVeteran said:

Total cost if you want Internet access is $66.38 per person per day:

• Zero-Alcohol Drink Package: $35.39 per person per day
  • Crew Appreciation (Mini-Suites and Below): $16.00 per person per day
  • MedallionNet 1-device WiFi: $14.99

That is more expensive than the Plus fare package.

I'm unsure why you have two Wifi quotes here, and I have no idea where that first price of $66.38 comes from for internet access. Prices start at $24.99 pppd for one device, and if you are Platinum or Elite, it's only half that.

-Zero Drink price only needs to be on one person if needed/wanted. The wife doesn't spend that much on drinks anyway, so it's not worth it to her. 

-Always pay Crew Appreciation.  That is a given for us. 

So, that leaves us with:

-$35.39 + $12:50 +$16 = $63.89 for me vs $60 for Plus (worth it as long as I want Internet/Wifi, which I don't really need as we mainly cruise Alaska and port Cell data works just fine)

-$16 = $16 for wife vs $60 for plus (not worth it for my wife)

-$63.89 + $16 = $79.89 for two vs $120 for two for Plus

So, in our case, Plus and Premier are not a good option.  It happens.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

I'm unsure why you have two Wifi quotes here, and I have no idea where that first price of $66.38 comes from for internet access. Prices start at $24.99 pppd for one device, and if you are Platinum or Elite, it's only half that.

-Zero Drink price only needs to be on one person if needed/wanted. The wife doesn't spend that much on drinks anyway, so it's not worth it to her. 

-Always pay Crew Appreciation.  That is a given for us. 

So, that leaves us with:

-$35.39 + $12:50 +$16 = $63.89 for me vs $60 for Plus (worth it as long as I want Internet/Wifi, which I don't really need as we mainly cruise Alaska and port Cell data works just fine)

-$16 = $16 for wife vs $60 for plus (not worth it for my wife)

The $66.38 was the total cost with drinks, wi-fi, and crew appreciation. I used the old wi-fi charge, since that is what showed on my booking, so it's more than that now - less if Platinum.

I agree that each person needs to do their own calculations. If you both want zero-alcohol or if one of you wants Plus, the fare package may be a good idea. If one of you wants zero-alcohol and the other one doesn't want any non-included drinks, then that is completely different. If you only need one wi-fi for the two of you and you're Platinum or possibly no wi-fi, that also makes a difference.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, scooter6139 said:

No question a small percentage of cruisers can make due with the no package option.  But you'll never convince me that a portion of the 25% of cruisers that opt out of the packages couldn't make it worthwhile.  Even without buying a single alcoholic drink it should provide value to a portion of that 25% with all of the other components that the package contains. 

But as the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water....

Edited by Retired-N-Happy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, latebuyer said:

For my 7 day cruise i'm in port 8-10 2 days and 2-10 1 day so paying internet doesn't seem compelling. I have a cabin and we don't have the internet or tv so i know i can unplug. I'm also from canada so don't believe the medallion can be mailed. I'm the type that drinks water at dinner in restaurants. I found the port i'm leaving from i should be able to get some pop cans. I assume there is a fridge? Plus may be a good deal but its not for everyone.

Yes you can have the medallion mailed in Canada now. Also how would you not have TV it is not dependent on WiFi 

5 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

No question a small percentage of cruisers can make due with the no package option.  But you'll never convince me that a portion of the 25% of cruisers that opt out of the packages couldn't make it worthwhile.  Even without buying a single alcoholic drink it should provide value to a portion of that 25% with all of the other components that the package contains. 

But look at it this way, my wife doesn't use the internet at all and I hardly use it for more than a few minutes a day. I get free Wi-Fi at all of our Caribbean stops - it's slow but it's free if I want it.

I get all the national news I need on the cabin TV.

If I drink 1 cup of their special coffees a day, that's it- mostly hot choc and that's free as well as reg. coffee. 

Juice's are free in the morning & we always bring some back to the cabin for mixers to go with our liquor. Plus we bring our own wine at embarkation plus renew supply at each port.

My wife might have 1 drink per day, myself 2 or 3 if I force myself.

We get drinks at Capt. party & MT lunch all the time. 

So $140 per day on a 10 day trip = $1,400 and no longer sounds like any bargain. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

I have always said the the value is the perception of the individual.  Princess sells a shot of Jim Beam for $10, but if you have the package, you can get 15 of them for $30.  

I was recently on a 10 day Enchanted cruise, no package.  Tips were $320, wifi was $200, so $520 for 2 people.  Cost of the plus for 2 people would be $1200. It also helps that we don't do the sugary drinks anymore, so no interest in mocktails or ship carried soda.  I brought on my own soft drinks (because for whatever reason they don't have coke zero) which cost me $20, so $540. 

To me the Lavazza coffee is fine, so I don't buy coffee either.  The difference in my cost basis was $660.  That is not insignificant to me simply because I feel I would be wasting most of it even getting a couple of coffees/cokes a day. In fact, I'm getting back on the ship tomorrow, and that $660 paid for 1/2 my cabin.  I don't feel I'm missing out at all, in fact, I use that savings for my next vacation or other toy I want.

I would not assume that someone who doesn't get a package is missing out, even though it appears many respond that way.  Princess would not market the product if they were not making a lot of profit from it, and if the people who purchase it think they are getting good value then to me it's a win/win/win for everyone involved.

• Like 1

I learned my lesson on this decades ago when I bought a soda package.  I felt the need to get my money’s worth and drank more soda than I normally would.

The beverages in the package are things which are not healthy.  My aging body does not tolerate them very well.  Not having a beverage package is a disincentive to drinking things which will take a toll on my health.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

The only main stream line I'm aware of that gives away drinks is the 4-6 drinks per day on RCI for Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle. 

Yes, RCI and Celebrity for us. 

• Like 1

Whether the a package is cost effective also depends on whether you're a new cruiser or Platinum or Elite.  Some of the things that are of value to us as first time Princess cruisers are free or significantly reduced if you're Platinum or Elite or if you've booked a Suite.

The discussion is good to have so folks know the alternatives but each person should do what works best for them. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ldubs said:

Yes, RCI and Celebrity for us. 

I'm looking in to RCI myself. I never realized I had as many points as I have. It certainly would fit our style much better than any package. And Princess can keep their free laundry. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Logic defeats spin doctoring from teetotalers. 👏👏👏

I'm a little confused.  I, and I think a lot of others, would never spend $35 per day on soda pop.  Seems that conclusions are being drawn by both sides to support their choice of choice.   I guess my thought is it is just a package. No need to put so much effort into drawing a line in the sand.   

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I'm a little confused.  I, and I think a lot of others, would never spend $35 per day on soda pop.  Seems that conclusions are being drawn by both sides to support their choice of choice.   I guess my thought is it is just a package. No need to put so much effort into drawing a line in the sand.   

At home from the local grocery store that would be true but on a Princess ship, their prices do add up rather quickly. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

Fair, I suppose I'm intending to address specifically those that come in to discussions like these seemingly hell bent on convincing others what's right for them entirely based on their own style.  You certainly don't qualify....but there's never a shortage of them in threads like this.

I think a lot of that happens on both sides of this issue, which doesn't even qualify as a real  "issue".  Lol.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, ldubs said:

would never spend $35 per day on soda pop

It's why I bring mine.  The hugely inflated prices onboard are why I keep my onboard purchase to a minimum.  But, people who go out to restaurants, bars, etc are used to paying a huge multiplier for drinks, so it's just sort of expected by most.  I've tried before to comment on cost vs price, but it's not worth the time.  Again, everyone perceives the value of things in their own way, and that is okay.

Edited by kywildcatfanone
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, 555 said:

I'm looking in to RCI myself. I never realized I had as many points as I have. It certainly would fit our style much better than any package. And Princess can keep their free laundry. 

The free drink perk on RCI is available throughout the day from any bar or dining venue.  On Celebrity, which we haven't been on for a few years,  it was limited to the happy hour.  Like 5 to 7 pm or something like that.   The old days of having to go the a specific lounge are gone, which I think is a good thing.  

7 minutes ago, 555 said:

At home from the local grocery store that would be true but on a Princess ship, their prices do add up rather quickly. 

I might have a soda during the day.  Maybe two if I'm adventuresome.  I must lead a pretty boring life.  Lol.   

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

It's why I bring mine.  The hugely inflated prices onboard are why I keep my onboard purchase to a minimum.  But, people who go out to restaurants, bars, etc are used to paying a huge multiplier for drinks, so it's just sort of expected by most.  I've tried before to comment on cost vs price, but it's not worth the time.  Again, everyone perceives the value of things in their own way, and that is okay.

We used to bring water and sometimes soda.  These days we bring the reusable water. bottle.  If I want a soda, I just pay the $3.50 or whatever it is.   

1 hour ago, 555 said:

But look at it this way, my wife doesn't use the internet at all and I hardly use it for more than a few minutes a day. I get free Wi-Fi at all of our Caribbean stops - it's slow but it's free if I want it.

I get all the national news I need on the cabin TV.

If I drink 1 cup of their special coffees a day, that's it- mostly hot choc and that's free as well as reg. coffee. 

Juice's are free in the morning & we always bring some back to the cabin for mixers to go with our liquor. Plus we bring our own wine at embarkation plus renew supply at each port.

My wife might have 1 drink per day, myself 2 or 3 if I force myself.

We get drinks at Capt. party & MT lunch all the time. 

So $140 per day on a 10 day trip = $1,400 and no longer sounds like any bargain. 

You get the bar set up in your room, and you bring a bottle of wine on board, which seems like it's enough.  But, I do have two questions.  One, you said you renew supply at each port.  How is this possible?  Thought you could only bring a bottle on board at embarkation.  Or do you cruise exclusively in Europe and it's allowed on the other side of the pond.  Two, where did you come up with 140 per day when Plus would be 120 and Premier would be 160?

50 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

I have always said the the value is the perception of the individual.  Princess sells a shot of Jim Beam for $10, but if you have the package, you can get 15 of them for $30.  

I was recently on a 10 day Enchanted cruise, no package.  Tips were $320, wifi was $200, so $520 for 2 people.  Cost of the plus for 2 people would be $1200. It also helps that we don't do the sugary drinks anymore, so no interest in mocktails or ship carried soda.  I brought on my own soft drinks (because for whatever reason they don't have coke zero) which cost me $20, so $540. 

To me the Lavazza coffee is fine, so I don't buy coffee either.  The difference in my cost basis was $660.  That is not insignificant to me simply because I feel I would be wasting most of it even getting a couple of coffees/cokes a day. In fact, I'm getting back on the ship tomorrow, and that $660 paid for 1/2 my cabin.  I don't feel I'm missing out at all, in fact, I use that savings for my next vacation or other toy I want.

I would not assume that someone who doesn't get a package is missing out, even though it appears many respond that way.  Princess would not market the product if they were not making a lot of profit from it, and if the people who purchase it think they are getting good value then to me it's a win/win/win for everyone involved.

It's obvious that we are on opposite sides of the line in the sand with regards to the value of the plus package.  It's been reported that 25% of passengers don't take advantage of the packages.  You have also given a very detailed breakdown that shows why you have decided to go with the bare bones pricing.  My argument is that there is a certain percentage of the 25% that could still make the plus package worthwhile even if they only consume one or zero alcoholic drinks a day.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Cap-n Andy said:

I learned my lesson on this decades ago when I bought a soda package.  I felt the need to get my money’s worth and drank more soda than I normally would.

The beverages in the package are things which are not healthy.  My aging body does not tolerate them very well.  Not having a beverage package is a disincentive to drinking things which will take a toll on my health.   

The discussion is not about a soda package.  It's about all of the various components of the Plus package @ 60.00.  Over 50% of the package is gratuities and wifi.  You then have medallion shipping, casual meals, and ocean now activation as three different components before you even start mentioning the drinks package.

You state that the beverages in the package are not healthy.  Is fresh squeezed OJ, an espresso or bottled water not healthy?  I can see if you only drink hot tea, hot coffee and tap water, so you'd be against the package but please don't blow smoke and imply that all of the components of the drinks package are all unhealthy.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I never said anything about spending 35 per day on soda pop.  But if you take the reduced price 15 for WiFi and add 16 for gratuities, you need 29 for all of the other aspects to make it worthwhile.  If you put 4.00 towards casual meals, you're at 25 per day.  If you don't care about any of the other components of the package, it's 25 towards any of the other drinks that are not free.  Fresh juice(8) fancy coffee(4) San Pellegrino(3.5) etc can easily hit that 25 even without a drop of alcohol.

• Like 1

Just now, Retired-N-Happy said:

I never said anything about spending 35 per day on soda pop.  But if you take the reduced price 15 for WiFi and add 16 for gratuities, you need 29 for all of the other aspects to make it worthwhile.  If you put 4.00 towards casual meals, you're at 25 per day.  If you don't care about any of the other components of the package, it's 25 towards any of the other drinks that are not free.  Fresh juice(8) fancy coffee(4) San Pellegrino(3.5) etc can easily hit that 25 even without a drop of alcohol.

Oops, should have quoted the person you quoted.  My mistake.  

I, and I think most, understand how to do the math to justify the package.  After all, it is not rocket science.

Some days it would pay off for us but most days it would not.  It simply doesn't pen out for the two of us over the length of a cruise.    If I want something, I buy it without a seconds thought.  But, I'm not going to buy something I don't care about to justify having a package.  If I ever got to the point a package is a better deal, I'll buy the package.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Oops, should have quoted the person you quoted.  My mistake.  

I, and I think most, understand how to do the math to justify the package.  After all, it is not rocket science.

Some days it would pay off for us but most days it would not.  It simply doesn't pen out for the two of us over the length of a cruise.    If I want something, I buy it without a seconds thought.  But, I'm not going to buy something I don't care about to justify having a package.  If I ever got to the point a package is a better deal, I'll buy the package.  

I have never bought wifi on a cruise - even with the old Best. Sale.Ever.  you could get Best2DG  so the 'value' of the wifi for us is $-0- in any package evaluation.

So, currently in the $60 PLUS - $16grats = $44 for ALL other - ALL

that's about 3 Princess pours of a decent Cab - Port day or not

• Like 2